Lisa P's STWM Bunny Report

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Lisa P's STWM Bunny Report

Postby purdy65 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:28 pm

Another pacing gig! This time at the Scotia bank Toronto Waterfront Marathon. This one marks my 10th full marathon! Crazy!

I have been diligently preparing for this all summer. Most of my long runs have been practicing the pace. I was pretty confident about the pace, but its been a long time since I've spent 5 hours on my feet.

I was as prepared as I could be though. Just not looking forward to 5 hours. Sigh. At least the weather was seemingly going to cooperate! Maybe a wee bit chilly and windy, but decent fall marathon conditions.

Dh and I had to head down early as he had to catch a shuttle to the start of the 5k. He was doing his power walking thing with a group of his co workers. He met up with them and was off. I headed back to the Sheraton to use the nice hotel bathrooms and wait a while in the warmth. It didn't take long for me to run into my posse from the Running Room! That was nice.

Eventually I had to head out to check my bag and make my way to the purple coral. I wanted to be there a bit early so that interested runners could find me. But that meant being COLD!

Finally we headed off, and I had a fairly large group with me and they were all bursting to go! The first few ks were a bit slow but I had planned on that and knew I could make it up by 5k. I did. I enjoy the first part of the course. Lots of interesting parts of Toronto. Sad to run by Honest Eds and seeing it begin to look empty.

The lakeshore was uneventful and we kept a nice steady pace. We hit 10k just a tad ahead of pace. Everything felt good! Lots of happy runners! A Kiza sighting at about 14k!

I wanted to bank a minute in the first half, and I ended up at 2:26:16, so a bit more than planned. We all still felt good!

Now to the boring part of the course. Zzzzz. We kept pace until OMG. I need to take a potty stop. Luckily we were close to a port a potty with no lineup. I gave my trusty sign to my sidekick Batwomen ( yes she was dressed in a batman mask and cape). I told her I was making a pit stop and would catch up by the next walk break! Whew! I did, and I felt much better.

Now the final very long out and back along Eastern ave and Queen. It felt like an eternity. I felt fine but my legs were beginning to tire. I was also getting irritated with my sign, which the wind made difficult to carry. I did have some help though! I finally couldn't take it anymore so I ditched it at the aid station near 33k! Sorry if that makes me a bad bunny :(

Another Kiza sighting! This time she snapped a cool shot of me with my group :).

I began losing some my group in this stretch. Either going ahead or falling off. At the last walk break I told everyone with me that if they felt good they should go and they would be well ahead of their goal.

In the end it was Batwomen and me. I let her push me and ended up a wee bit faster than I wanted to be. 1:09 under goal.
4:53:51 :)

Still I was happy, and Batwomen gave me a huge hug and told me I was awesome. She had a huge improvement over her first marathon. This would be reason 9,999 why I love pacing.
So it was a pretty good day all in all.

Oh, and Dh did his power walk in 49:26 :)

I will say that no matter how fast or slow you run it, a marathon is still 42.2k. And I feel like I ran 42.2 k and could not have done a good job without the proper training put in.

Now for some rest and recovery before Boston training starts!
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Re: Lisa P's STWM Bunny Report

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:57 pm

8)
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:01 pm

Here is the pic!
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:06 pm

Great report Lisa. You are rock solid on your pacing. I'm sure everyone who counted on you wasn't disappointed. :D

Nice picture.
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:13 pm

Awesome job, Lisa ... :clap: :clap: :clap:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:46 am

It was so awesome seeing you so many times! And, yes, 42.2 is definitely still 42.2!
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:02 am

Nice work out there Lisa! Love the pic!

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:56 pm

Another great bunny report! Congrats.

I don't think anyone you ran with will complain about being a minute or two under your goal time-- you ran at a pace that they could all maintain and came pretty close to the set time. That's much more important than hitting the exact time on the clock.

I'm curious about how your legs will recover after running for 5 hours at much slower than your regular pace. Is that your longest marathon to date?
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

canalrunner
Bill Crothers

Postby canalrunner » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:10 pm

Good to see you at the Expo. Congrats on the pace gig. I paced the male Batman on my run. Most impressive was the female firefighter in full gear including tank. Racing and pacing these races is always a lot of fun. You are also likely thinking about a Boston victory lap ORW pace gig. You know where to find me. Congrat again.
The longest journey begins with a single step.
2016 Races
May: Ottawa Marathon

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:47 pm

Pictures!

http://www.marathon-photos.com/scripts/ ... 1&bib=3809

Jenn:

I found with the slower run, I still got the sore legs in the final 10K, but I always felt OK - just really wanting it to be done because - well 5 hours is a long time on your feet! I still felt the usually yuckiness for about 20 minutes until I got some food and fluids, but by the time I got home, I was fine. The legs are moderately sore today, but really not much different than my 4 hour marathon in Hamilton I don't think. They will recover quickly.

Mark.

Good to see you again too. I hate to get out of the loop in the ORW pace groups, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to pass next year :( We aren't skimping on the trip to Boston, so one destination run may be all we can afford. But hopefully I keep in good enough shape to come back in 2016! Keep me on your list please!

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

Stampie
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stampie » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:02 pm

Well done bunny Lisa!
PB’s (official race results)
5K – 26:20; 8K – 41:28; 10K – 52:13; 15K - 1:22:43; 21.1K – 1:54:16; 30K – 2:51:34; 42.2K – 4:24:14

What is up for 2018
Feb 11th - First Half Vancouver
TBA
Planning & in my sights
Jun 9th - Puddle Jumper Classic

Run the mile you're in. Not the one behind you, and not the one in front of you - the one you are running now :) - purdy65

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:48 pm

purdy65 wrote:Pictures!

http://www.marathon-photos.com/scripts/ ... 1&bib=3809

Jenn:

I found with the slower run, I still got the sore legs in the final 10K, but I always felt OK - just really wanting it to be done because - well 5 hours is a long time on your feet! I still felt the usually yuckiness for about 20 minutes until I got some food and fluids, but by the time I got home, I was fine. The legs are moderately sore today, but really not much different than my 4 hour marathon in Hamilton I don't think. They will recover quickly.

Mark.

Good to see you again too. I hate to get out of the loop in the ORW pace groups, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to pass next year :( We aren't skimping on the trip to Boston, so one destination run may be all we can afford. But hopefully I keep in good enough shape to come back in 2016! Keep me on your list please!

I concur about the slower run! :)
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

grimskot
Bill Crothers

Postby grimskot » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:30 pm

Very nice job :) Hope I can find a bunny just as good if/when I next run a race that long.
Plan for 2016:
Jun 25: St. Malo Triathlon - Sprint - done
Jul 16: Morden Triathlon - Sprint - done

Ken B
Lynn Williams

Postby Ken B » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:55 pm

Congratulations! I don't know which I liked more - the report or Kiza's photo. Okay - I loved them both!! :)

Return to “Run/Race Reports”