Hamilton Boxing Day Romp in the Park!!

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
Ken B
Lynn Williams

Hamilton Boxing Day Romp in the Park!!

Postby Ken B » Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:34 pm

This is a short report on the Boxing Day 10 Miler in Hamilton. This is my seventh straight running of this event. It was the second year after changing the route, cutting out the nasty "Golf Course" hill. This year they reversed the direction of the loop at the end of the out and back section. This solved last year's problem of runners finishing the loop having to cross through the runners starting the loop. Wise move. The weather was perfect for a December run in SW Ontario.
Mike picked me up at 9:30 and we found a parking spot right across the street from the Hamilton YMCA. We quickly claimed a couple of lockers, picked up our bibs and official sweatshirts and relaxed in the stands with our friends from Waterloo RR. I did chat with a couple of runningmania members but it seemed to be a sparse attendance for members this year.
After a 20 minute walk/jog warm up I lined up a few feet behind the start line and a 12 noon, we were off. My goal this year was 90 minutes but as I felt rather lethargic yesterday, I wasn't sure how today would pan out. After a short uphill section before our right turn to run down to the shore of the bay, we had pretty much down hill running for the nest 5 km. Nothing too steep just generally downhill. Then some gently rolling terrain until almost the half way point. One confusing note was having the mid race timing mat at the 6 mile marker instead of the usual 5 mile marker. Some participants were certainly startled at what they thought was their rather pedestrian pace! I felt pretty good through the first half and caught up to my friend Doug from Waterloo on the steep ( ish ) hill at a little past the five mile marker. He was walking the hill, so I walked for about a minute with him. He then passed me on the downhill part of the loop. I took another walk break at the nine mile mark and a short walk near the top of the last hill shortly after that. I definitely struggled to maintain pace for the last ( mostly uphill ) three miles. My km splits ranged from 4:57 to 5:46. Average pace for the race was 5:11 min/km.
As usual this is a great race with the packet pick-up at the start and the refreshments and award ceremony all in the Hamilton YMCA. An added bonus is being able to shower and change into fresh clothing after your run. As usual, I will return next year.
Chip Time: 1:23:31 ( A PB for a 10 Mile event )
Placing: 2/6 in M70-74, 221/381 of male runners, and 270/662 of all participants.

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Re: Hamilton Boxing Day Romp in the Park!!

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:45 pm

Yay Ken! Congrats on pb.
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:01 am

Nice one, Ken!
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:48 am

Fantastic! I wanna know the dude who beat you in your age group!
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

bigguy
Tom Longboat

Postby bigguy » Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:24 pm

Hi Ken:
Thank you for the great report and for coming out again this year. The 5 mile / 6 mile change was due to a mistake of the volunteers sending you up Longwood Ave. first. We will be applying to the City of Hamilton to run the race that way in 2015.
James
enjoy life, eat well, train with a smile.

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:10 am

Another great result, congrats Ken!! Can't wait to see what 2015 brings you.

Avis
Jerome Drayton

Postby Avis » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:30 pm

Congrats on the PB, Ken! (How great to have a hot shower on site, too.)
"We are made of dreams and bones."
--The Garden Song

"By perseverance, the snail reached the ark."
--Charles H. Spurgeon

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
--Pablo Picasso

Stampie
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stampie » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:18 pm

Well done Ken, awesome result!
PB’s (official race results)
5K – 26:20; 8K – 41:28; 10K – 52:13; 15K - 1:22:43; 21.1K – 1:54:16; 30K – 2:51:34; 42.2K – 4:24:14

What is up for 2018
Feb 11th - First Half Vancouver
TBA
Planning & in my sights
Jun 9th - Puddle Jumper Classic

Run the mile you're in. Not the one behind you, and not the one in front of you - the one you are running now :) - purdy65

Return to “Run/Race Reports”