Red Deer Marathon

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Red Deer Marathon

Postby Habs4ever » Mon May 18, 2015 5:01 pm

Red Deer Marathon

Short Version:
9th marathon
Time: 4:12:54
OA: 75/140
WOMEN: 26/60
AG (50-54): 4/12

Long Version:

Red Deer marathon has such a pretty course along the river pathways, through a few parks, around a small island with single file running, around a golf course, through an off leash dog park (that was a bit freaky), over an old wooden bridge (twice) and to finish off up a short but pretty steep hill, then about 800m down to the finish.
This course is sneakily tough with all the little ups and downs, but it's so pretty you forget for a second or two that it is hard.

Saturday it rained most of the day in Red Deer and we woke up Sunday to news that Calgary had snow overnight, so we were a bit concerned about the weather. It turned out to be perfect for running a marathon. Sunny and about 3C to start and maybe about 10C at the finish.

Just before the start we gave our outer layer to Fabulous Sherpa Colleen. Rob, Jennifer and I started together about 3/4 of the way back. It was pretty congested for the first few kilometers, but after that the field spread out and it was fine.

I was feeling my hamstring right from the start, but it wasn't anything bad or painful, just a nagging to remind me it wasn't 100%. I said to Rob if it stayed like this the rest of the time, it would be a good day. That didn't last....the half and the full split at 19k and I was seriously thinking that I wanted to turn off with the halfers, but Rob was his usual 10 paces in front of me, and took the marathon turn, so I just kept following him.

By the halfway we were already 2 minutes behind goal pace, (which I didn't know because I didn't have my garmin on, (I did have my watch but didn't look at it)) but Rob just kept me going never once wavering on his commitment to get me to the finish. He was rock solid, you can't ask for a better pacer. (His fee is pretty good too, cookies and pie!) He would remind me to take a gel at the right time, always looking over his shoulder to make sure I was there, always adjusting his pace to make sure I was never more than about 10-12 steps behind him. I think he knew I was struggling before I knew. We just kept plugging away and finally we saw the last hill.

We got up that last hill did a hairpin turn onto the down slope and went for the finish line. I was so thankful to have him through the race, he definitely got me to the end. I told Rob he needs to come back and race this course for himself.

Colleen, Jennifer and Ian were waiting at the finish for us. We grabbed food and hot coffee, then Jennifer went back to the car and got the pie. We finished off a great morning of running with yummy apple pie.

It didn't go as planned due to the hamstring pull 3 weeks ago, but I still loved the race and the course. It was a wonderful weekend filled with friends and good food. I don't regret a single thing.
Last edited by Habs4ever on Mon May 25, 2015 7:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Re: Red Deer Marathon

Postby Jwolf » Mon May 18, 2015 5:26 pm

It was great to spend the weekend with you and be there for this race. Sorry the actual race didn't go as you hoped, but this will happen for you when the time is right. :)
You are an awesome runner and a great friend. Recover well.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

chunkymonkeymelonhed
Lynn Williams

Postby chunkymonkeymelonhed » Mon May 18, 2015 5:36 pm

Habs4ever wrote: It was a wonderful weekend filled with friends and good food. I don't regret a single thing.

LOVE this.

Congrats on marathon #9.
On the books for 2017:
50th Birthday!!
Boston Marathon- April 17th what a day- DREAM COME TRUE :dance:
Run for Water 10K- May 28th
Scotia Half - June 25th
Trail River Run half marathon- Sept. 30- CANCELLED
MEC 10K Race 10- Nov. 5

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Mon May 18, 2015 5:37 pm

Good job.

There is alot of depth and emotion to every marathon. Hang on to the experience inside.
4:12 is really good, especially due to the hammie.
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

Ken B
Lynn Williams

Postby Ken B » Mon May 18, 2015 5:41 pm

Loved the report. Congratulations on a fine race. Also congratulations to the other maniacs!! :)

RobW
Bill Crothers

Postby RobW » Mon May 18, 2015 6:07 pm

Sue, you are a determined runner who showed a lot of strength and character to get to the finish line. Never in a million years would I be as light-hearted as you were when things were getting tough running essentially on one leg. Sorry, things didn't go as planned but it was still a course PB nonetheless. Everyone should know that sweet little Habs that we know and love is one tough youknowwhat out on the course! Recover well, my friend.

PS. I had not idea I was in dog territory where the two dogs cut me off. :lol:

ian
Jerome Drayton

Postby ian » Mon May 18, 2015 6:08 pm

Some events are all about the race — if you don't get the result you were hoping for, it's hard to find a silver lining. Red Deer is not one of those events. Whether it's sections of the course that make you want to go "Wheeee!!!", unexpected wildlife (e.g., I saw a pelican hovering over the river), or a finish-line bacon & egger, this is just a fun event to be a part of. You train too well not to get that breakthrough result one of these days and it will be all the more special because of your patient perspective along the way.

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Mon May 18, 2015 10:16 pm

I can't say more to you about the race, but to everyone else reading this, Habs makes delicious pie!

So great to see you again and have a few days with some of my favourite people.
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

Nothing will change if you never choose.

2018 goals: May half marathon, September half marathon

RobW
Bill Crothers

Postby RobW » Mon May 18, 2015 11:13 pm

IronColl wrote:I can't say more to you about the race, but to everyone else reading this, Habs makes delicious pie!

And cookies!

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Tue May 19, 2015 5:25 am

So sorry that things didn't end up the way you'd hoped, but you had a great season and it was so inspiring following your training this year!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Tue May 19, 2015 8:06 am

This sounds like a fantastic weekend!

I mean, think about it, DESPITE the hammy, you still pulled of 4:12 (not that that really matters!) and had a great time with some great friends (that's what matters)!!! I like both your and Ian's description of the course. It sounds wonderful!

I've had a couple of disappointing times in marathons (including both times at Boston), but it never lasts! In the end, I'm always just happy to be running and enjoying the distance!

Now the post race bacon and eggie, and the pie sound divine! Nothing could cheer me up more than those!

Oh, would really like to borrow Rob sometime 8) 8) I'm sure your pie and cookies are much better than mine would end up being though. :lol: :lol:
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

IronGoddess
Jerome Drayton

Postby IronGoddess » Tue May 19, 2015 8:20 am

Congrats on finishing another marathon. You are an inspiration. I really think your next marathon should be Victoria.
IMC 2015

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Tue May 19, 2015 9:09 am

Sounds like a fun weekend you had .. Congratulations, on another half in the books, Susan .. :)
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

VDoT
Bruce Kidd

Postby VDoT » Tue May 19, 2015 8:10 pm

Well done on a bum hamstring to boot!

It was great to meet you and talk with you on Friday! Any completed marathon is a good days running in my book!

Dan
Dan

Coming up in 2015:

chunkymonkeymelonhed
Lynn Williams

Postby chunkymonkeymelonhed » Tue May 19, 2015 9:20 pm

HCcD wrote:Sounds like a fun weekend you had .. Congratulations, on another half in the books, Susan .. :)

Another full you mean!! :wink:
On the books for 2017:
50th Birthday!!
Scotia Half - June 25th
MEC 10K Race 10- Nov. 5

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Tue May 19, 2015 10:15 pm

Thanks all for your encouragement and support over all the ups and downs that come with running. I appreciate every one of you for reasons that are as unique as each of you.

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Tue May 19, 2015 10:16 pm

chunkymonkeymelonhed wrote:
HCcD wrote:Sounds like a fun weekend you had .. Congratulations, on another half in the books, Susan .. :)

I was letting it slide. :lol:

chunkymonkeymelonhed
Lynn Williams

Postby chunkymonkeymelonhed » Tue May 19, 2015 10:43 pm

Habs4ever wrote:
chunkymonkeymelonhed wrote:

I was letting it slide. :lol:

I couldn't let 21.1 slide!
On the books for 2017:
50th Birthday!!
Scotia Half - June 25th
MEC 10K Race 10- Nov. 5

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Wed May 20, 2015 9:21 am

Sorry to hear about the hamstring pull!! You pulled off an amazing result all the same. Congrats on getting #9 done with style. Nice AG placement as well. Nice that you had some company too :)

grimskot
Bill Crothers

Postby grimskot » Sun May 24, 2015 9:14 am

Congrats on finishing the marathon while not 100%. Sounds like a good experience, regardless. I mean, c'mon: Maniacs, scenic vistas... and pie! :D
Plan for 2016:
Jun 25: St. Malo Triathlon - Sprint - done
Jul 16: Morden Triathlon - Sprint - done

deerdree
Kevin Sullivan

Postby deerdree » Fri May 29, 2015 9:29 pm

i'm sorry the hamstring pull meant you didn't get the race you'd trained for, but so impressive nonetheless, and i'm glad you had a great weekend!

how much of the course was through a dog park??

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Sat May 30, 2015 10:01 am

deerdree wrote:i'm sorry the hamstring pull meant you didn't get the race you'd trained for, but so impressive nonetheless, and i'm glad you had a great weekend!

how much of the course was through a dog park??

I really can't remember how much was through the dog park, (maybe 5-6k) it felt like a long time because I'm quite nervous about dogs and some were pretty big. For the most part the owners were great and made sure their dog didn't cut off runners. One just about wiped out Rob though, it was pretty big, but it wasn't aggressive, just sauntered in front of him.

barebuns1
Bill Crothers

Postby barebuns1 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:18 pm

Great race report. Congrats on your finish. :)
If you have to ask me why I Run, You probably wouldn't understand!

Return to “Run/Race Reports”