I Love Lucy!!!!

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
Ken B
Lynn Williams

I Love Lucy!!!!

Postby Ken B » Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:57 pm

Well - at least the Lucy Half Marathon in Jamestown, Now York. I registered for this race as a good friend of mine, Mari, from Stow, Ohio is from Jamestown and she and her husband were running this third annual Lucy Half Marathon which is run in honour of Lucille Ball who was born and raised there.
We drove down Saturday morning. There was a fairly ling wait at the Fort Erie border crossing but otherwise the drive was uneventful. Highway 60 which runs to Jamestown from the I-90 Interstate is a nice road with lots of fall colours in evidence. After checking into the Best western we picked up my race packet and met Steve and Mari for lunch at the Southern Tier Brewery. They serve lunches there on weekends. Lots of fun. Then it was back to the hotel for a rest before joining Steve and Mari again for supper at "the Pub" in downtown Jamestown. We had a great pasta meal served by a really server - Sam. Then early to bed.
Sunday was cool and sunny with virtually no wind - perfect running conditions. As the start of the race was one short block from our hotel and the finish line was right in front of it I didn't need pre race clothing. I was comfortable in my Boston Marathon long sleeve shirt and shorts. I did wear gloves as my hands get cold. Temperature at the start was about 10 C and at the finish 14 C.
The course started with a nice downhill for about half a mile and then back uphill in a loop to the start area. We pass the finish line and the next six miles are mostly downhill. One steep decline and a couple long gentle declines. From then to mile 8 it is mainly the opposite. It did get a bit tiresome always running slightly uphill. Then after a loop section we retrace our route. Thus miles 8 through 12 are overall slightly downhill. Then t=comes the killer a long uphill in the last mile. It is quite long and gets steeper the farther along you run. I actually took a couple of 100 metre walks here as I was pretty sure I would be able to get my goal time of 2 hours.
My published finish chip time was 1:59:27 ( my print out stated 1:59:26 - but who's counting!! ) Overall this was the positive experience I needed. I am still not in top condition after my injury but I am improving. I wasn't as wasted as I was at both the PEC County Marathon or the Waterloo Harvest Half. Even better - there was no repetition of the abdominal cramps that I have suffered of late. I finished 2/5 in my age group - just 4 minutes behind the first placed runner in my age group.
Then back to the hotel for my ice treatment and a hot bath. It was great seeing Mari and Steve and spending some time with them. Overall - a great weekend.

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Re: I Love Lucy!!!!

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:01 pm

8)
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:07 pm

Good job, Ken!
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:49 am

Sounds like things are progressing in the right direction! Good work Ken. Sounds like a great weekend.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:48 pm

:dance: :dance:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:56 pm

Good stuff Ken, sounds like things are looking up!

5km
Bill Crothers

Postby 5km » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:04 pm

Robinandamelia wrote:Good stuff Ken, sounds like things are looking up!

+1

Return to “Run/Race Reports”