Edmonton ING 10 km Race Report - 20 Aug 05 -Longish

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
bunsontherun
Bill Crothers

Edmonton ING 10 km Race Report - 20 Aug 05 -Longish

Postby bunsontherun » Sat Aug 20, 2005 7:00 pm

Good Day to you all from someone who has a big smile on their face today. I drove in to Edmonton from Calgary yesterday, having about two hours in delays due to major accident outside of Airdrie and massive fire in Edmonton. Had a relaxing evening with dinner at the Old Spaghetti Factory and a earlier bedtime than normal.

Woke up feeling great, stopped at Tim Horton's for my coffee and then down to the Butterdome for the RR Friendship Run. It was a nice casual pace in an out and back distance of maybe 3 km. No pictures taken of the group though!!

After the Friendship Run I started to meet and reacquaint myself with the many of the people from the Edmonton area who I often meet at the races. One of the individuals that I shall mention specifically is Stuart Winkler who is constantly out at almost every race shaking hands, meeting people and gesturing his support and encouragement. He is very familiar to the running community in Edmonton by his tshirt he wears that says "Deaf Runner" on the back. His sense of humour is infectious and I can't help but get a good karma whenever I meet him.

At the start line I continued to feel relaxed, but when we did the countdown to the start I started to get pretty excited. The route was two times around the U of A and for the most part was pretty flat. The temperature was mild and was near perfect for running. I truly enjoyed the run and felt good throughout. I crossed the finish line still feeling fresh, and in fact even got both hands up for the finish photo as opposed to the stopping watch photo I seem to normally have taken. I finished 14th overall and 3rd in my age category with a time of 39:49. Although not a PB, I was still quite happy.

Tommorow I will be doing the 1/2 and I sure hope I feel the same as I did today, but tonight I have to go to a housewarming party...so who knows.

Congrats to Susanne (laufen...) and her son Steve who also finished in a pretty good time as well.

Ken
Professional Hugger.

Next Up: Other races!!!

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Re: Edmonton ING 10 km Race Report - 20 Aug 05 -Longish

Postby ultraslacker » Sat Aug 20, 2005 7:09 pm

Congrats on your great time and placing third in your age group! That's awesome!!

bunsontherun wrote:One of the individuals that I shall mention specifically is Stuart Winkler who is constantly out at almost every race shaking hands, meeting people and gesturing his support and encouragement. He is very familiar to the running community in Edmonton by his tshirt he wears that says "Deaf Runner" on the back. His sense of humour is infectious and I can't help but get a good karma whenever I meet him.

I remember seeing that shirt! I think it was at the Canada Day Road Race...
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Sat Aug 20, 2005 7:35 pm

Thanks for reporting in...

But....Holy Smokes...you raced 10k today...and now you're racing a HalfM tomorrow...

Oh dear...I fear...you are truly a Maniac :wink: :lol:

Cyberspaces hugs (I'm allowed...cuz I met you in Real Life)...for a great run tomorrow :D

Joanne
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

jacob42.2
Bill Crothers

Postby jacob42.2 » Sat Aug 20, 2005 9:04 pm

Hey Ken great run, and good luck on your half tomorrow. Rest it up. Look forward to hearing the rest.
PB's: 5k: 16:40 10K: 34:59 21.1: 1:17:16 Marathon: 02:50:47
RUNNING MANIA #2

runamuck
Percy Williams

Re: Edmonton ING 10 km Race Report - 20 Aug 05 -Longish

Postby runamuck » Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:58 am

bunsontherun wrote:I crossed the finish line still feeling fresh, and in fact even got both hands up for the finish photo as opposed to the stopping watch photo I seem to normally have taken.
Ken

I am not surprised at all - when I met you at the friendship run I was impressed by what great shape you are in. I remember a thread "elsewhere" about who everyone would chose as their pace bunny if they could. I thought "bunsontherun - that guy is in such great shape that if I lost steam at the end he could carry me for a bit, and it probably wouldn't even slow him down!" :) Plus, your positive attitude and sunny disposition were pretty infectious! (this is probably the only time you can really enjoy being called infectious! :lol: ).

Do you ever have to travel to bases elsewhere? Nasim and I are pretty close to Borden and Meaford, Ontario.

Great to "see" you again!

Cheers,

Heidi (Nasim's friend!)
When you were born you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die the world cries and you rejoice.
(Cherokee Proverb)

Nicholas
Site Admin

Postby Nicholas » Sun Aug 21, 2005 12:31 pm

Not a bad warm-up for the real race. Let's hope you left enough in the tank. And no hangover either....

Stephan
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stephan » Sun Aug 21, 2005 12:40 pm

Awsome run, way to tear it up and good luck tomorrow for the half.

Stephan

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Sun Aug 21, 2005 1:21 pm

haha, I forgot that this thread was from yesterday, and when I saw the title I thought, "how did Ken do that so fast? I just saw him 20 minutes ago at the post-race lunch!".

that's why they call me clueless, lol.
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

wantmeback
Bill Crothers

Postby wantmeback » Sun Aug 21, 2005 2:38 pm

Hey Ken!

Sorry I missed you yesterday (I was lead cyclist for the 10K walk and then out on the course sweeping afterwards.) Awesome time!
Jen

*The maniac formerly known as gjennifer*

Back at it! 2019 goal Edmonton Hypo Half February 3rd

RA.
Kevin Sullivan

Postby RA. » Sun Aug 21, 2005 3:23 pm

:) Good job!

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Sun Aug 21, 2005 6:05 pm

Great racing Ken! I'm hunting around now trying to find your 1/2 report. What a double!

barebuns1
Bill Crothers

Postby barebuns1 » Sun Aug 21, 2005 6:20 pm

Super Race Saturday I was thinking you were slowing down some but I was totally wrong. I hope you saved something for the half Marathon. I will look up your results later tonight after I go for my run.
If you have to ask me why I Run, You probably wouldn't understand!

lovethehills
Bill Crothers

Postby lovethehills » Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:49 am

Awesome job Ken!! Can't wait to hear how the 1/2M went!
"Only through curiosity can we discover opportunities, and only through gambling can we take advantage of them."

bunsontherun
Bill Crothers

Postby bunsontherun » Mon Aug 22, 2005 11:33 pm

Hey all of you, thanks for your comments - much appreciated.

Barebuns1 - me slowing down, not yet bucko!! Hey - what's with your copying some of my login name??!! Good thing I know ya and like ya!!
Professional Hugger.

Next Up: Other races!!!

CAW
Lynn Williams

Postby CAW » Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:08 am

good report....I enjoyed it, thanks
~Kara~

"To be beautiful means to be yourself. You don’t need to be accepted by others. You need to accept yourself."
— Thich Nhat Hanh

Return to “Run/Race Reports”