It wasn't a race, but I just have to report!

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
princessjess
Tom Longboat

It wasn't a race, but I just have to report!

Postby princessjess » Sun Aug 21, 2005 5:29 pm

OK, so my first race isn't until September 25, but today was a huge milestone for me in my 3-and-a-bit month running career: I ran my first 5K. It was 5 laps around my 1 km block (measured a bunch of times!).

I had planned to do 2 sets of 10 and 1's, then move to 5 and 1's for the remaining few k's. Well, I started and my legs were really hurting right from the start. I think it was becasue I didn't do a very good job of stretching after my 3K run the other day.

kilometer #1 was a big push. Midway through I decided I wasn't going to do the full 5K today and that I'd just try again another time. But...when I rounded the corner I saw my boyfriend standing outside cheering me on, so I kept going

Kilometer #2-3 were OK. After my first set of 10:1's I decided to move down to 5:1's to try and stretch out my sore shins a bit. By the end of 3K even the 5's were pushing it.

Kilometer # 4 I don't even remember this one...it hurt so bad!!! :D

Kilometer #5 I had a last burst of inspiration from a neighbourhood man who often sits on the porch and cheers me on when I run. He had come out onto his porch just in time to see my pass by his house one last time on my way home. I took off my headphones and shouted "hey there! You missed it, today was my longest run ever...I've already passed by your house 4 times before this!". He laughed and said "keep going!"...so I did!

When I finished I was in SO much pain. The run took me 37:41 in total. I was very proud for getting in below 40 minutes! :D My heart rate monitor said my average HR was 170 and my highest was 186. I'm 21. Does anyone know if this is good or bad?

So that was my big accomplishment. I never thought I could run this far and for this long. Now I'm so excited for my first race I can barely wait. What I want to know is: How the heck do people run marathons?!

Jess :D
5K in the T.O. Waterfront Marathon: Sept 25/05 - 38:02 (first race EVER!)

Next Up:
Toronto Island Give-It-A-Tri: August 18, 2007!!!

Lonerunner
Bill Crothers

Postby Lonerunner » Sun Aug 21, 2005 5:49 pm

Congrats Jess,

There's no looking back now. You did awesome!!!
-Lisa

To get something you never had, you have to do something you never did.

msdesigner
Jerome Drayton

Postby msdesigner » Sun Aug 21, 2005 5:52 pm

Good stuff! You are on your way now.
Running 26.2 miles is not limited by physical capabilities but rather by the mind.
Uta Pippig

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Sun Aug 21, 2005 6:00 pm

Good job Jess :D My first runs were like that too. You'll build up tyour endurance in no time!

Jess (you stole my nickname!)
If it ain’t broke, run through it -- Strider

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Re: It wasn't a race, but I just have to report!

Postby dgrant » Sun Aug 21, 2005 6:01 pm

princessjess wrote: How the heck do people run marathons?!

Let me tell you something...many of us who have run marathons can relate very much to your great run today. You're on the same path as us, and someday if you choose to run a marathon, you will! It's just a natural progression of the good stuff you're doing right now. Keep it up!!

Stephan
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stephan » Sun Aug 21, 2005 7:49 pm

That is wicked awsome, I love hearing stories like this, I remember being in your shoes not that long ago. You are well on your way, before you know it, you'll be doing 5K in your sleep.

Keep Charging!!!! as far as your heart rate goes, sometimes it's more a measure of how much guts you have; with those numbers you have a lot of guts and pushing hard!!!!

Way to go!!

Stephan

princessjess
Tom Longboat

Postby princessjess » Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:13 pm

Thank you so much for the encouragement everyone. I'm so excited for my first "out of town" run on Tuesday (I'm going to visit a cottage). Now that I've officially run 5K I feel much more confident about my running (and I feel like i have some real bragging rights now! :D)

Jess
5K in the T.O. Waterfront Marathon: Sept 25/05 - 38:02 (first race EVER!)

Next Up:

Toronto Island Give-It-A-Tri: August 18, 2007!!!

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:45 am

That was great, Jess! It's amazing how having "fans" to cheer you on (or keep you motivated) can have an impact.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

CAW
Lynn Williams

Postby CAW » Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:14 am

Rock on sista-friend!!

Well done! I too recently experienced the envigorating feeling of running my longest distance yet....I ran 6.3K with two walking brakes....approx 200m each, so I ran 5.5k on Saturday....and can't wait to do it again....

anyway, not trying to Hijack, but say that I know your gain....and celebrate it with you.

oops, my math is bad....6.3 - .4 is 5.9.....OMG!!!
~Kara~

"To be beautiful means to be yourself. You don’t need to be accepted by others. You need to accept yourself."
— Thich Nhat Hanh

MoeMan
Bruce Kidd

Postby MoeMan » Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:00 pm

Amazing PrincessJess!!

I can't wait to hear about your first race report!

Maurice

Cheermidget
Bruce Kidd

Postby Cheermidget » Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:06 pm

Great job, princessjess!!!

Um, out of curiosity, can I run in your neighbourhood? It must have been awesome to have the support of your boyfriend and your neighbour!!!

And to answer that last question of yours: One step at a time.

Congrats again, and keep at it!
~Rae

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:10 pm

Great job!! I still vividely remember my first 20 minute non-stop run....and my first 5k.....great work...

CdnArtyWife wrote:Rock on sista-friend!!

Well done! I too recently experienced the envigorating feeling of running my longest distance yet....I ran 6.3K with two walking brakes....approx 200m each, so I ran 5.5k on Saturday....and can't wait to do it again....

anyway, not trying to Hijack, but say that I know your gain....and celebrate it with you.

as for these walk breaks.....CdnArtyWife - you ran 6.3 km, you covered the distance of 6.3 km, walk breaks or not....keep in mind that many of us do "10 and 1's" during races...no one can tell me that I ran 40k and not a marathon! (you walk about 2.2 km for a 4.5 hour marathon) :)

planned walk breaks are an important part of increasing your distance!
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

runlikeagirl
Bill Crothers

Postby runlikeagirl » Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:16 am

Awesome work, Princessjess! Reaching the milestones is such a great feeling.
Angela
----------------
"I just felt like running" - Forrest Gump

CAW
Lynn Williams

Postby CAW » Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:20 am

irongirl wrote:Great job!! I still vividely remember my first 20 minute non-stop run....and my first 5k.....great work...

CdnArtyWife wrote:Rock on sista-friend!!

as for these walk breaks.....CdnArtyWife - you ran 6.3 km, you covered the distance of 6.3 km, walk breaks or not....keep in mind that many of us do "10 and 1's" during races...no one can tell me that I ran 40k and not a marathon! (you walk about 2.2 km for a 4.5 hour marathon) :)

planned walk breaks are an important part of increasing your distance!

I now no where my place is....because I have been put in it.... :D

Thank you for that, I never really looked at it that way....I think I was just too focused on trying to get to a point where I didn't need to walk....but realistically, I now know that walking is not a "bad" thing....I guess I have just absorbed too much of the "army view" where they look down on people who walk or fall back on a group run.
Last edited by CAW on Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
~Kara~

"To be beautiful means to be yourself. You don’t need to be accepted by others. You need to accept yourself."
— Thich Nhat Hanh

Karin
Johnny Miles

Postby Karin » Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:21 am

Good work! It must be so nice to have the support of your fans while you run!!

Return to “Run/Race Reports”