When do I start carbo loading?

Because you can't outrun a bad diet!
RayMan
Jerome Drayton

When do I start carbo loading?

Postby RayMan » Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:06 am

And how do I do it?

Isn't it enough to eat pasta just the night before? I have heard of people spending a few days before a race loading up. What's the prevailing philosophy with you veterans?

Thanks in advance.

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:18 am

generally, the week before a big race, I will start to eat more carbs than usual, and drink LOTS of water (i.e. 2-3L a day) - the optimum water is to have your pee be a light yellow (clear means not enough electrolytes, so, alternating with some water and some diluted gatorade works as well).....

the week before a BIG race, I am literally beating a path between my office and the bathroom....

A big pasta meal is actually best for lunch the day before the race, too big of a meal the night before can sit heavy in your tummy.....
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:21 am

My perception has always been that the point of carbo-loading is to be sure you are going into race morning with maximum glycogen stores. Theoretically, if you've been tapering, you should already be there, so carbo-loading is kind of redundant. Plus, most well-trained people have a lot more than 21.1K worth of glycogen in their liver and muscles, so it's only a huge concern for the marathon.

Just my two cents, but I just try to eat my normal amount of whole grains for the week before the race, and I lay off fatty or high fibre foods the last couple days.

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:52 am

For me, usually three-four days out (i.e. Wednesday/Thursday) for a Sunday event, I will actually start taking in my sports drink (i.e. Cytomax, Gatorade, etc.) in lieu of water, to top off my electrolytes and carbs, and/or as Irongirl suggested, alternating between water and sports drink ....

Definitely, nothing fibrous (veggies, white bread, etc.) and red meat during the last 24-48 hours ... Mostly pasta, pasta and more pasta from Friday on .... and, then pizza, pizza and more pizza the week after .... :oops: :wink:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

dgrant1
Bruce Kidd

Postby dgrant1 » Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:13 am

As Dave said, no need to carbo load for a Half. So fuhgeddaboudit... 8)
Next up:

Return to “Nutrition and Weight Management”