Does anyone get veggies delivered?

Because you can't outrun a bad diet!
BJH
Lynn Williams

Does anyone get veggies delivered?

Postby BJH » Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:45 pm

I signed up last night for an organic veggie delivery service. They will bring a box of seasonal organic vegetables to my front door every two weeks.

I'm looking forward to it. I get tired of picking things out sometimes, so just cooking what is supplied is kind of appealing.
The road to hell is paved. Run trails.

Marg
Site Admin

Postby Marg » Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:51 pm

I used to get groceries delivered but never just organic veggies. Convenience is a wonderful thing though I am also a sucker for traveling down the aisles looking for deals... :lol:
Chilly 1/2 - March 4
Montreal 1/2 - April 29
NCM 1/2 - May 27
Manitoba 1/2 - June 17
Army 1/2 - Sept

clocker
Bill Crothers

Shared agriculture

Postby clocker » Thu Oct 27, 2005 2:12 pm

We used to help supply a group called "Community Shared Agriculture." Check #4 in the list for CSA. It was fun until the rain started and then didn't quit for several years. :evil:

Chanterelle's were popular. wink:

Sometimes the variety of produce was spectacular. If you love your fruits and veggies, I'm sure you'll enjoy a closer relationship with your producers no matter the group.
Cheers! Ian.
Hostility is a psychic boomerang

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:33 pm

GOOD FOR YOU (and you too clocker)!

I have never done it, since hubby and i get our veggies from his dad (an organic farmer), or the farmers market (we are a 20 minute walk from St. Jacob's- a huge market). I think these programs are great, they help provide healthy foods and education for people- and access to fresh stuff. I know lots of people who have done a weekly/monthy fruit and veggies basket and no one has been dissapointed yet!

My main area of research is women and food security (in the broadest sense of the word), so i take an active interest in this stuff.

Clocker- mind if I PM you about some of the details of your involvement? (for curiosity sake, unless you live in Brazil- then it is for my research :wink: )

keep me updated on what foods you get, i love trying foods i dont normally eat (except carrots, i hate carrots, and not too fond of leeks)!
Erin

clocker
Bill Crothers

Postby clocker » Thu Oct 27, 2005 6:00 pm

prats wrote:GOOD FOR YOU (and you too clocker)!

My main area of research is women and food security (in the broadest sense of the word), so i take an active interest in this stuff.

Clocker- mind if I PM you about some of the details of your involvement? (for curiosity sake, unless you live in Brazil- then it is for my research :wink: )

Erin

Not at all.
Cheers! Ian :D

Iron-North
Jerome Drayton

Postby Iron-North » Thu Oct 27, 2005 6:20 pm

Lucky you! Lucky you all people of the south! Veggies here are usually left overs from the leftovers from south,....or it seems that way! You should see me in a real market when I travel to my mom's! I go crazy on plumed tomatoes and green peppers and fruits!!!!! :shock:

Helene :wink:
Always North of something ...

Ironman Cozumel 2014
Vancouver to Inuvik on bike 2014

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:35 pm

I've never tried that - will they still deliver if you live in an apartment building?

BJH - what's the company name? It sounds like a great idea!
If it ain’t broke, run through it -- Strider

clocker
Bill Crothers

Postby clocker » Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:37 pm

We get a lot of dregs too in the off season or when the local produce can't cope with the weather.

I have family on the west coast and when I'm there I really notice a huge difference, with their produce being really cheap and really high quality.

Going to school I used to hound the markets of Toronto for prizes. Oh those were the days. Gads, I love to eat!

We usually plant a big garden to get our fix. :D I'm finally ready to put my galic in. I'll plant an ice cream pail full this year. My record high was 18 pounds. I can't remember what the haul was, but it was measured in wheel barrows. :twisted:
Cheers! Ian

BJH
Lynn Williams

Postby BJH » Fri Oct 28, 2005 5:59 am

jcraig wrote:I've never tried that - will they still deliver if you live in an apartment building?

They will deliver to apartmetns, at least the ones in Toronto will.

The company is called Front Door Organics, but I don't know if that will help you. When I was searching for companies, the ones I found all seemed to be pretty local.

I know some people from Hamilton that were using a co-op like what clocker described.
The road to hell is paved. Run trails.

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Fri Oct 28, 2005 6:15 am

I do most of my produce shopping at the Kingston Market...and I do my best to buy from the local growers (as opposed to wholesalers who purchase veggies from the depot in Toronto for resell) ..many of these have switched to organic gardening.

I've decided that this winter I will try as much as possible to eat local produce as well instead of buy the imported from Mexico/California. Of course this will mean I'll be eating alot of root vegetables and squash!!
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:08 am

jcraig wrote:I've never tried that - will they still deliver if you live in an apartment building?

Jesse - the Bytown Fruit Market (I think it's called that) has an "organics" club - they will do delivery (for a fee) as well.....we looked into it, and realized that we just don't eat that much fruit/veggies to justify the cost/amount stuff we'd be getting.....I can get more info for you if you want.
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:33 pm

North of 60 wrote:Lucky you! Lucky you all people of the south! Veggies here are usually left overs from the leftovers from south,....or it seems that way! You should see me in a real market when I travel to my mom's! I go crazy on plumed tomatoes and green peppers and fruits!!!!! :shock:

Helene :wink:

I sympathize with you Helene- I did my MA research in Arctic Bay (North end of Baffin)- the fruit and veggies were gross- half rotten! And soooo expensive! Hence the issues with food security, it was all about eating country foods.

Return to “Nutrition and Weight Management”