Should I take multivitamins/calcium supplement?

Because you can't outrun a bad diet!
Kelodie
Kevin Sullivan

Should I take multivitamins/calcium supplement?

Postby Kelodie » Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:19 pm

Hi everyone,

I am not the kind of person who eats balanced meals all the time. In fact, I think there's a lot of room for improvement in my eating habits. Anyway, I was wondering:

1) should I take a multivitamin?
2) I don't eat/drink a lot of dairy (usually 1 portion a day) because I simply don't like milk, cheese, etc. Should I take a calcium supplement?

What are your views on multivitamins and supplements? I'm 28 and I feel healthy, but I think I may not be getting everything I need from my food intake.
"Keep Going. Never Give Up" - Spencer
"Have a little faith in yourself and watch the magic begin" - Ironboy

Plans for 2014:
Run for Women 5K, May 11
Ottawa Race Weekend 10K, May 24

CeilidhOnTheRun
Jerome Drayton

Postby CeilidhOnTheRun » Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:23 pm

Whenever I feel I may be lacking in some way I take them - but I believe that healthy balanced eating is really the only way to get what you really need, nutrients from food are just absorbed so much better.
~Trish
Recovering slowly...

moof324
Bill Crothers

Postby moof324 » Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:47 pm

I'm a lifelong believer (since age 2!) in multivitamins...in fact, I still take a flinstones kid's chewable every day :D (I have pill-swallowing issues, so I prefer the chewable kind :) Plus, they're in orange and cherry flavor (and grape, but I also hate grape) ..yum! Oh, and they still provide adult nutrients, including folic acid...important if you ever want to be a mom!)

If you're not getting 3 servings of calcium through dairy and other foods, then I would also say yes to a calcium supplement--but I'm not sure how they interact with other vitamins, I thought I read somewhere that calcium and vitamin D shouldn't be taken together at the same time, or was it calcium and iron? Something about they impede nutrient absorption.

But way to be proactive in keeping healthy with nutrients, and good for you that you recognize what your diet needs to be better every day! :)
2010: Cautiously coming back from 14 months of injury!
June 12: Race for the Cure 5K, Raleigh
June 26: Legal Run-Around 5K, Wilmington (28:51, PR!)
Jan. 8-9, 2011: Goofy!

Marathon Count: 6
Half Count: 7

CeilidhOnTheRun
Jerome Drayton

Postby CeilidhOnTheRun » Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:07 pm

I think Vitamin C is supposed to help with calcium absorption.
~Trish
Recovering slowly...

Georgiana
Johnny Miles

Postby Georgiana » Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:14 pm

From what little I know, it sounds like you're probably not getting enough calcium... I think Moof's right, that 3 servings a day is about the minimum. However, supplements aren't the only possibility - there are non-dairy sources, although I can't remember any good ones off the top of my head, and you can get stuff like orange juice with calcium added. I *think*, although I'm not absolutely sure, that it's still possible for women to build bone mass into their 30s, as opposed to merely avoid bone loss, so you're wise to be thinking about it now rather than later.

As far as multis go, in an ideal world I'd eat a perfect diet, including mucho produce grown in soil that hadn't been stripped of its nutrients. Needless to say, that world doesn't exist in this universe, so far as I can tell, so I take a multi, and try to improve my diet one small step at a time... progress, not perfection!

Georgiana

Edited to note that I have no medical training whatsoever :P

Nicholas
Site Admin

Postby Nicholas » Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:59 pm

I don't eat a perfect, balanced diet and once in a while pop a multi vitamin. They say it can't hurt and may help. That's as scientific as I can get.

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:05 pm

moof324 wrote:I thought I read somewhere that calcium and vitamin D shouldn't be taken together at the same time

no, Vitamin D HELPS the calcium absorb. That's why most calcium supplements come with D added. :)

I take a multivitamin on days that I remember and it's convenient. Like nick I figure that it will probably help and if not, it doesn't hurt anything. Multi-vitamins are just a bit of an extra boost in that regard. They are not a substitute for eating well, but they can help fill in the gaps since very few people are able to eat the perfect balance of nutrients every day.

I recently started taking a calcium supplement in hopes that it will help my stress fracture heal more quickly. Again, it may not make a difference but it doesn't hurt to try!!
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:24 pm

moof324 wrote: or was it calcium and iron? Something about they impede nutrient absorption.

Yes, you are thinking of calcium and iron. But it's not the calcium-- it's the carbonate in the calcium carbonate that binds to the iron and makes it not absorb well. This is only if you are taking iron supplements and calcium supplements alone-- if you take a properly formulated multivitamin, it's not an issue.

(I take a prenatal/postpartum multivitamin when I remember, and it contains both iron and calcium. No, I'm not planning on any more babies :P , but my doc recommended it as having a good formulation for women like me who tend to be low in iron.)

And yes, vitamin D does help calcium absorption, but most of us have no problem getting enough vitamin D (our bodies use sunlight to convert cholesterol to vitamin D, so if you have dark skin and/or live in the northern climates, vitamin D supps might be in order, too).
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Kelodie
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Kelodie » Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:23 pm

Thanks everyone - that is good feedback. I'll try to work more on my diet and take a multivitamin / calcium supplement when it doesn't provide all I need.
"Keep Going. Never Give Up" - Spencer
"Have a little faith in yourself and watch the magic begin" - Ironboy

Plans for 2014:
Run for Women 5K, May 11
Ottawa Race Weekend 10K, May 24

Return to “Nutrition and Weight Management”