WHAT DO YOU EAT BEFORE YOUR MARATHON (& during)

Because you can't outrun a bad diet!
Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:48 pm

Bebette wrote:It is apparently a very common for runners not to replace enough carbs during their long runs.

For me, I use about 100-120g of carbs per hour of running. Since our body can only handle 50-75% of that amount, I have to take 50-75g of carbs per hour, which means 7-8 gels for a 3:45-4h marathon.

But theoretically we have 2000 calories worth of stored glycogen, or about 400 grams. You should then be able to get all your carbs from stored glycogen. Of course you wouldn't want to rely on that (since you may not be fully "topped up"), but why do you need to eat that many?
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Bebette
Bill Crothers

Postby Bebette » Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:25 pm

Dr.J wrote:
Bebette wrote:It is apparently a very common for runners not to replace enough carbs during their long runs.

For me, I use about 100-120g of carbs per hour of running. Since our body can only handle 50-75% of that amount, I have to take 50-75g of carbs per hour, which means 7-8 gels for a 3:45-4h marathon.

But theoretically we have 2000 calories worth of stored glycogen, or about 400 grams. You should then be able to get all your carbs from stored glycogen. Of course you wouldn't want to rely on that (since you may not be fully "topped up"), but why do you need to eat that many?

This will unlikely answer completely your question, but this is what Nancy Clark has to say in her book. As we deplete carbs from muscle glycogen stores, we increasingly rely on blood sugar for energy. The ingestion of carbs during exercise provides muslces with an additional source of fuel and helps regulate blood sugar level and maintain mental stamina.
I run because it's fun.

In another life:
3 marathons including Boston twice (PB: 3:47), 6 halfs (PB: 1:45), 6 10k (PB: 46:41) and 3 5ks (PB: 21:00)

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:11 pm

Bebette wrote:This will unlikely answer completely your question, but this is what Nancy Clark has to say in her book. As we deplete carbs from muscle glycogen stores, we increasingly rely on blood sugar for energy. The ingestion of carbs during exercise provides muslces with an additional source of fuel and helps regulate blood sugar level and maintain mental stamina.
I understand that, but what I don't understand is why the "Peak" tests say you need so much sugar from ingested carbs. It just seems like too much.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:

Nicholas
Site Admin

Postby Nicholas » Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:48 pm

I believe it is about 13.5 ounces of water per gel to make the 7% carb solution. Many people take half a gel at a time and drink a full cup of water with it. I've always had problems knowing when I 've squeezed out half a gel, especially when I'm running in a race.

runcherylrun
Bill Crothers

Postby runcherylrun » Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:18 am

Thanks for the info - please keep it coming :D

To answer some questions:

Red River Cereal isn't instant - needs to be cooked like oatmeal, so its out, but bagels sound good.

The race starts at 5:00 am so I'll be up around 3:00 am ??? (YIKES!!)

The gatorade I drink is of the very diluted type - I mix my own.

On my last long run I had my first gel after 50 minutes, had a power bar at 13kms (ate it over 2 walk breaks) and had the other 2 gels about 45 minutes apart after that.

I should point out I'm on the slower end of the scale speed wise so I'm out there for awhile but I felt GREAT after my run - I really thought I'd feel worse since I'd never run that far before.

Cheryl
Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. Helen Keller

Bebette
Bill Crothers

Postby Bebette » Fri Oct 07, 2005 8:02 am

Dr.J wrote:
Bebette wrote:This will unlikely answer completely your question, but this is what Nancy Clark has to say in her book. As we deplete carbs from muscle glycogen stores, we increasingly rely on blood sugar for energy. The ingestion of carbs during exercise provides muslces with an additional source of fuel and helps regulate blood sugar level and maintain mental stamina.
I understand that, but what I don't understand is why the "Peak" tests say you need so much sugar from ingested carbs. It just seems like too much.

Jennifer, you should probably get in touch with a sports physiologist or nutritionist. They will give you the scientific explanation. On such issues, I am the kind of person who will consult experts to tell me what to do. As long as the advice works for me, I am happy.
I run because it's fun.

In another life:
3 marathons including Boston twice (PB: 3:47), 6 halfs (PB: 1:45), 6 10k (PB: 46:41) and 3 5ks (PB: 21:00)

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:02 am

Bebette wrote:They will give you the scientific explanation. On such issues, I am the kind of person who will consult experts to tell me what to do. As long as the advice works for me, I am happy.

I think I've figured it out. It doesn't seem to me to be an accident that the PP recommendations are always around 8 gels (one per half hour). The science says that the average person can only absorb 60-80 grams of carbs per hour during exercise in their most absorbable form (6-8% solution in water). So the recommendatinos are usually to try for that as a maximum by training your body to tolerate the carbs during training runs. The 30-60 g/hour often cited by nutritionists (like Nancy Clark) is a conservative interpretation of the same recommendation.

For others that are interested, I found this article on-line on "Running Times". http://www.runningtimes.com/issues/03janfeb/bolus.htm
It's by Matt Fitzgerald, a famous world-class runner/triathlete (I have excellent book by him ("Runners World Guide to Cross-Training")-- it explains things a more scientific/technical way than any other good running book.

Dstew
Bill Crothers

Postby Dstew » Fri Oct 07, 2005 11:14 am

Before I long training run - a glass of chocolate milk and a lot of water and one or two gels. Then feast within one hour of the run. The theory is teach the body to use fat as a fuel.

For a race - carbo load for a couple of day, morning is 4 slices of multigrain bread with PB and honey - that combo seems to give me a lot of energy. During the race, 1/2 pack of a gel starting around the 8 K mark or so and as need basis - but no gels with 8 K or less to go - my understanding is not enough time to get the energy into the system so all you are doing is risking stomach problems. For the last marathon that worked out to be about 6 gels. With that, what wall and a negative split.

Stephan
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stephan » Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:29 pm

I've read in Chris Carmichael's book "Food for Fitness" that we can only handle roughly .5 grams of carbs per pound of body weight per hour while exercizing. Average of 40-75 grams per hour. The problem is that glycogen stored in our muscles is used by our muscles. The liver and blood contains glucose which is used by the nervous system including our brain. Once the liver gets depleted and our blood sugar drops low, that is usually when severe bonking symptoms happen, often this will happen when our muscles still have lots of fuel left. The glycogen in our muscles cannot be converted to glucose to be used by the brain. The only way to replinish glucose in the liver and raise or keep our blood sugar high is to ingest carbs while running. Usually 60 grams per hour should be more than adequate if your muscle store is topped up to the max prior to competition. A gel contains around 28g of carbs and a sports drink around 30-40g. I will be taking one gel and 2 fig newtons per hour during my marathon sunday. Along with a sport drink at the tables and bottle and I'm bringing Sharkies as a treat. I will make adjustements based on how it goes for my next marathon.

lovethehills
Bill Crothers

Postby lovethehills » Sat Oct 08, 2005 7:29 am

Thanks for posting and asking this Cheryl...I am having problems with this as well.

I am only training for a 1/2 M, but around the 14-15kms mark of all my long runs I am STARVING!!! I take a swig of gel every walk break, but am really finding it's simply not enough....for me.

I make that point, because though I find the calorie intake vs output interesting, I do believe everyone is different. Everyone's body responds differently. For me, though I eat 1.5-2 hours before my LSD, I get hungry 2/3rds of the way in. The hunger becomes nausea, and it all goes downhill from there.

I've tried pretzels...too dry; sharkies...I get annoyed when they get stuck in my teeth! hahaha This week I'm going to try the Real Berries, thanks for the suggestion.

Cheryl: though Red River has to be cooked a la oatmeal, I pre-cook my oatmeal during the week and store it in the fridge so I can just heat it up in the morning when I'm in a rush. I'm thinking of doing that on my trip to San Fran for my 1/2M.

The other thing I'm thinking about: awhile back someone mentioned they cook their oatmeal in a rice cooker. I'm going to get a mini one this weekend and if it works out, I'm going to take it to San Fran and cook the cereal right in my room!!

Happy Running!
"Only through curiosity can we discover opportunities, and only through gambling can we take advantage of them."

jacob42.2
Bill Crothers

Postby jacob42.2 » Sat Oct 08, 2005 8:17 am

I can't seem to break this.

Oatmeal, bagel, gatorade. minutes prior to the race a gel or two. Throughout the race: 21k, 32k, 36k I eat a gel.

js.
PB's: 5k: 16:40 10K: 34:59 21.1: 1:17:16 Marathon: 02:50:47
RUNNING MANIA #2

paulg
Tom Longboat

Postby paulg » Sat Oct 08, 2005 8:25 am

Raisin bagel, boost, water and a little coffee. Then, gel at 20, 32 and around 37. (Only ran one but that was what I did). Then, gatoraid at every drink station.

Paul

Bebette
Bill Crothers

Postby Bebette » Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:43 pm

Stephan wrote:I've read in Chris Carmichael's book "Food for Fitness" that we can only handle roughly .5 grams of carbs per pound of body weight per hour while exercizing. Average of 40-75 grams per hour. The problem is that glycogen stored in our muscles is used by our muscles. The liver and blood contains glucose which is used by the nervous system including our brain. Once the liver gets depleted and our blood sugar drops low, that is usually when severe bonking symptoms happen, often this will happen when our muscles still have lots of fuel left. The glycogen in our muscles cannot be converted to glucose to be used by the brain. The only way to replinish glucose in the liver and raise or keep our blood sugar high is to ingest carbs while running. Usually 60 grams per hour should be more than adequate if your muscle store is topped up to the max prior to competition. A gel contains around 28g of carbs and a sports drink around 30-40g. I will be taking one gel and 2 fig newtons per hour during my marathon sunday. Along with a sport drink at the tables and bottle and I'm bringing Sharkies as a treat. I will make adjustements based on how it goes for my next marathon.

Stephan, this is the explanation I looking for earlier for Dr. J. I read something along these lines a while back, but I couldn't find the reference.
I run because it's fun.

In another life:

bigblue1ca
Johnny Miles

Postby bigblue1ca » Sat Oct 08, 2005 11:47 pm

Bagel and PB and jam, glass of milk, a banana an hour before hand.....and then I have a Carb Boom at 45 min and every 30-40 minutes thereafter, with water. I've read about this "strategy" in a few other places and I did it for my 1/2 and it worked well. I also do it for all my LSD runs. I tried Gatorade a few times, but it just didn't do the job for me in the same way gels do. In terms of expense, it's not bad, Carb Booms are $1.40 each at MEC compared to $1.99 at RR.

lilitchka

Postby lilitchka » Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:44 am

Hi,
I am new to this forum, not sure how it works.
I finished my first marathon yesterday. The time is not very good (4:37, I am a girl), but I am still happy I did it :D
Before starting (approximatly 1 hr before), I had a glass of orange juce, a bagel, somme peanut butter, a lot of water and a gel, bexcause I needed some cafeine, and I was in a rush to take a cup of coffee 9for some reason I woke up 1 hour late :( )
During the 42,2 km, I had 2 gels and gatorade at almost every water station. I thaught I will need more, but I wasn't week, and felt good.
I just had too mush pain, and I am still suffering right now :cry:

runjanerun
Jerome Drayton

Postby runjanerun » Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:00 pm

Congratulations on your first marathon!! And that is not a bad time at all!!! Have fun getting around the next couple of days -- stairs will NOT be your friend!

I usually have a bagel with some cheese and orange juice. I used to drink vegetable juice but switched to OJ - now I am thinking I may switch back.

I carried raisins and peanuts (mixed) with me when I trained and ran Disney. I didn't eat too many of them, but had a few. I mostly ate gels during Disney but I find once I get to the fourth one, I just can't stomach that sweetness any more. After Disney and ATB I had a Pro Boom Recovery Gel when the race was over. They taste like cr@p so you have to suck it all back quickly and wash it down, but it sure does help get the electrolytes back into your body. One also has 28 g of carbs.Has anyone else tried these?

Last week at "The Toad" they had cookies, chocolate bars, bananas, oranges, chips, pop, pretzels at the aid stations. The first 18K the food was great! I found after that, my stomach just didn't feel like eating. This happens to me when I get up in the higher distances. How can the idea of eating chocolate bars turn my stomach when I love chocolate so much????
Jane

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:13 am

lilitchka wrote:Hi,
I am new to this forum, not sure how it works.
I finished my first marathon yesterday. The time is not very good (4:37, I am a girl), but I am still happy I did it :D
Before starting (approximatly 1 hr before), I had a glass of orange juce, a bagel, somme peanut butter, a lot of water and a gel, bexcause I needed some cafeine, and I was in a rush to take a cup of coffee 9for some reason I woke up 1 hour late :( )
During the 42,2 km, I had 2 gels and gatorade at almost every water station. I thaught I will need more, but I wasn't week, and felt good.
I just had too mush pain, and I am still suffering right now :cry:

Welcome aboard! 4:37 is great for a first marathon!! Where was it?
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:20 am

Welcome to the site lilitchka. Congrats on your first marathon!!!
There's no such thing as a 'not very good' time for a first marathon.

Return to “Nutrition and Weight Management”