Gels

Because you can't outrun a bad diet!
runlikeagirl
Bill Crothers

Gels

Postby runlikeagirl » Wed Aug 03, 2005 2:43 pm

When should I start using gels? That is, after how many kilometres?

The other day our clinic instructor said we should start using them after 14k. But, the other day after my 12k run I was feeling a little woozy. Do you think I should start using them now?

RunDiva
Bill Crothers

Postby RunDiva » Wed Aug 03, 2005 2:59 pm

Hi there,
Everyone is different, and I found that my needs changed somewhat as I ran longer distances.

I usually take just water for under 10k; then I take water and some diluted Gatorade for runs up to 16k.
Any runs 16k and up I will take a gel.

I usually take half 45 mins or so into the run then the other half at the next walk break. Drink water with it. I will look into 2 gels once I get past 22k or so.

There are a number of kinds. Have fun finding what works for you and DO NOT try anything new on race day. :D

Happy Gellin'!

Sir Crashalot
Abby Hoffman

Postby Sir Crashalot » Wed Aug 03, 2005 3:44 pm

RunDiva wrote:I usually take half 45 mins or so into the run then the other half at the next walk break. Drink water with it. I will look into 2 gels once I get past 22k or so.

There are a number of kinds. Have fun finding what works for you and DO NOT try anything new on race day. :D

Happy Gellin'!

I, on the otherhand, try all sorts of new stuff on race day. Adds to the excitment of the day!
Addias Response Cushions, new tires, tried all kinds of gels, new saddles, shorts, & socks too. What's life without the odd hiccup or 2? :lol:

Say... how do you take 1/2 a gel? What do you do with the other half while running???? :D
Image Fortes Fortuna Juvat!
In support of injured Canadian Forces soldiers, please donate to Soldier On! http://www.cfpsa.com/Splashpages/SoldierOn/
Never really ready but always ready!

RunDiva
Bill Crothers

Postby RunDiva » Wed Aug 03, 2005 3:47 pm

Sir Crashalot wrote:Say... how do you take 1/2 a gel? What do you do with the other half while running???? :D

Well Sir, I roll it into a ball and stick it on the end of my nose.

cheeky monkey! :lol: :D

P.S. I have a pocket attached to my Fuel Belt to hold such things.

Sir Crashalot
Abby Hoffman

Postby Sir Crashalot » Wed Aug 03, 2005 3:54 pm

RunDiva wrote:Well Sir, I roll it into a ball and stick it on the end of my nose.

cheeky monkey! :lol: :D

P.S. I have a pocket attached to my Fuel Belt to hold such things.

Ah! ha!
I would have been really impressed had it been the first!
:lol:
Image Fortes Fortuna Juvat!
In support of injured Canadian Forces soldiers, please donate to Soldier On! http://www.cfpsa.com/Splashpages/SoldierOn/
Never really ready but always ready!

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:57 pm

I don't use gels, but I found that I feel best if I eat at 10k, 15k, 20k and so on (every 5K). While I'm not hungry at 10K, I definitely feel best over the long run (pun!) if I start eating early.

I only take food (powerbar harvest energy for me) on runs longer than 20K. I bring gatorade for speed workouts or anything 15K or more. So for 20K plus runs, I use gatorade as well as powerbars. You're NOT supposed to have gatorade with gels. With powerbars, I've never had a problem, but who knows- I may be breaking some cardinal rule!
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:37 am

Can someone explain why you are not supposed to take gatorade along with gels??

Joanne

p.s. I have just discovered what could become my fave flavour...Cliff Shot Mocha...tastes like melted chocolate ...yummy.
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:06 am

Jo-Jo wrote:Can someone explain why you are not supposed to take gatorade along with gels??

It's something about needing the ratio of water to gel to be sufficient for diluting the gel and getting the right balance. If you use gatorade instead of water then the balance isn't there. However, I've been using gatorade with my gels for months and haven't had a problem.
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

TheBman
Jerome Drayton

Postby TheBman » Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:11 am

Like RD said, every one is diff!
I take them based on how I feel.
I am the first to admit that I have "security blanket" issues....I will go on a 10-15k run, have water, gels, sugar, bars...ect..JSUT IN CASE!
I hate the feeling of being out there and NOT HAVING somehting I need!

ANYWAY, gels are designed to give you that little BOOST of energy. So, IN MY OPINION' you are out for a 1.5 hr run, and you feel like you are fadding at 1hr.....hit a Gel....it aint gonna hurt you!

In sprint multi (3k run, 20k bike, 5k run), I take on on the bike mid way just to give me some energy on the last run. Is it NEEDED....no, but I feel better with that little KICK!

Practice with them....I experiment allll the time, just to hit it right on race day to ensure PEAK performance!

...told you I had issues!

TheBman
The MARATHON GRAND SLAM!

London Marathon April 17
Boston Marathon April 18
Berlin Marathon September 25
Chicago Marathon October 9
NYC Marathon November 6

...raising funds and awareness for the EVERYMAN Campaign!

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:57 am

Jo-Jo wrote:Can someone explain why you are not supposed to take gatorade along with gels??

I think you must take water with gels to ensure the proper concentration of carbs in your gut. If you wash down gels with gatorade, which has its own carbs, the concentration will be too high and you risk stomach upset.

I also hear people refer to osmolality, but I know most of those people don't know the definition of that word any better than I do, which is not at all. We need Dr J for this one.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:59 am

dgrant wrote:I also hear people refer to osmolality, but I know most of those people don't know the definition of that word any better than I do, which is not at all. We need Dr J for this one.

Hmmm.... biochemistry/physiology is not my area of expertise, but this is a fancy term used for concentration. A bit too fancy to worry about for us, though.

But dave is right about the reason to that you're not supposed to drink gatorade full strength with gels.
With the gels the optimum concentration for absorbing the carbs is to be drinking about 500 mL of water per gel. Less than that can cause stomach upset for many people (although there are plenty of people that seem to do fine with less water, so you need to experiment). Symptoms would be unpleasant gas and bloating if you can't fully digest the sugars. The reason you're not supposed to drink gatorade with gels is that gatorade already has the optimum concentration of sugar (about 7%), so you might be getting more than your body can handle. Again, if it works for you, it works.
One thing to remember, though, is that what works in slow training runs might not necessarily work well at race pace. Annoying, but true.
Another thing to remember is that if you're feeling "woozy" during a run, it is possibly due to dehydration rather than lack of sugar.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:53 pm

I have used gels on my long runs and races as I cannot eat and run or I end having stomach issues :oops:

My favorites so far are Hammer Gel Raspberry (does anyone know where to buy this now?) and Carboom Strawberry Kiwi. Does anyone have any suggestions for new flavours to try or other suggestions on what is light on the stomach while running?

Thanks,

eme

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:58 pm

eme wrote:Carboom Strawberry Kiwi

oh, this is my FAVOURITE! I could eat it like candy (if it didn't cost $2/shot, lol).

I also like their banana peach one, with vanilla orange coming in third. yay for carbboom!
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

LILSPARK
Tom Longboat

gels

Postby LILSPARK » Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:03 pm

In half marathon training I usually take a gel at 45 minutes and then again at around 1hour30 minutes to get me through a 2hour30minute run, always with lots of water because it's like putting cake frosting in my mouth. Like the carb boom (choclate cherry and apple cinnamon)

melissa
Johnny Miles

Postby melissa » Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:46 pm

Actually, I've never used gels or energy bars until the day I ran the 1/2 marathon.

LILSPARK's routine is much like my 1st 1/2 marathin (which took me exactly 2:30) "

I drank a bottle of water with a bagel for breakfast.. a bottle of gatorade an hr before the start, 30min before the start i took a gel.

I broguth 2 gel packs with me on the race. I stopped at every water station for 2 waters and a gatorade.. took the 2nd gel @ #11km and the 3rd at 16km. And I felt pumped the whole way through.

I"m definatly going to test how i feel taking gels for my longs vs gatorade alone.
The miracle isn't that I finished.. The miracle is that I had the courage to start.
"Just listen to your heart.. That's what I do" -Napoleon Dynamite

Next: Hypothermic 1/2 Marathon - Feb. 26 - SJ

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:51 pm

melissa wrote:Actually, I've never used gels or energy bars until the day I ran the 1/2 marathon.

Oooo... Melissa! You broke the rule of never doing anything in a race that you hadn't tried in training. Good that it worked for you, but this is not generally recommended.... many people find that they can't tolerate gels right away without practice, and they can give some serious stomach problems. You were LUCKY!
You also used quite a large combination of gels/gatorade for a half-marathon. Many people wouldnt be able to do that.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:

melissa
Johnny Miles

Postby melissa » Thu Aug 25, 2005 4:29 pm

Yes, I was aware of that rule :oops:

But ya know.. It paid off! I've never had stomach problems.. after university cafeteria food for 3 years my stomach morphed into an iron tank. So I was confident I would be fine.. :P

But to the rest of you.. Do as I say, not as I do and Don't break routine on race day!

:D
The miracle isn't that I finished.. The miracle is that I had the courage to start.

MrBond
Bill Crothers

Postby MrBond » Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:14 pm

In my opinion... for any run over an hour and a half you should be taking on fuel, whether its gels, powerbars, gatorades or whatever.
As someone who's suffered with digestive issues on long runs (3+ hours) all I can say is experiment, its different for everyone.
"You're in over your head Donny..."

melissa
Johnny Miles

Postby melissa » Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:34 pm

Well.. before I discovered the RR forum for advice, I was running +18km without proper hydration or fuel. Frankly, I didn't know any better. I didnt even take water breaks or have the proper clothing. I totally winged it.

The injuries came after my first 2 months of full marathon training. Mainly because I wasn't hydrating. That was about 7 months ago and I still feel alittle clueless, but I learned to take advice much more seriously.

However, performance enhancers are just icing on the cake. Gatorade and gel packs don't finish marathons.

jacob42.2
Bill Crothers

Postby jacob42.2 » Fri Aug 26, 2005 4:48 pm

I use a gel pack when I know I'm about to crash out. I can normally tell with about 5k left in the tank. Then...almost magically, I'm back up and moving on pace.

During races I take one 30 minutes before the start. Any race that is. During a marathon I can consume anywhere from 2 to 6. My last marathon I ate 2+1 before the start. Whereas in Ottawa I had 6.
PB's: 5k: 16:40 10K: 34:59 21.1: 1:17:16 Marathon: 02:50:47
RUNNING MANIA #2

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:57 pm

jacob42.2 wrote:I use a gel pack when I know I'm about to crash out. I can normally tell with about 5k left in the tank. Then...almost magically, I'm back up and moving on pace.

Most people can't get away with waiting until they feel they need the gel... by then it's too late.

Melissa-- gels and gatorade are NOT "performance enhancers." They are sources of fuel and electrolytes. Period. (and fluid in the case of gatorade)

Mr. Bond-- interesting that you think that you should take something during any run of more than 90 minutes-- what do you think of the theory that you should do some of your slow aerobic runs WITHOUT any fuel to help train the body to burn fat stores? Personally I never believed this theory, because I think the body will burn fat when it can, regardless of whether your taking in fuel.

Return to “Nutrition and Weight Management”