Butternut Squash Soup with Orange and Ginger

Because you can't outrun a bad diet!
CinC
Lynn Williams

Postby CinC » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:08 am

Made this the other night - wonderful! I was in awe! The recipe comes from the 'Eat, Shrink and Be Merry' cookbook (same authors as Loneyspoons)....

2 tsp olive oil
1 cup chopped onions
1 tsp minced garlic
1 tbsp grated gingerroot
1/2 tsp ground cumin
6 cups peeled, cubed butternut squash
2 cups chicken broth
1 1/2 cups unsweetened carrot juice (I couldn't find this, so used 1 can of V8)
1/4 cup frozen pineapple juice concentrate (again, couldn't find this, so used a tropical fruit mix concentrate that had pineapple in it!)
1 tsp grated orange zest
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
light sour cream (optional)

- heat olive oil in a large, non-stick soup pot over med heat. Add onions and garlic. Cook and stir until onions begin to soften, about 3 min.

- stir in gingerroot and cumin and cook for 30 more seconds. Add squash and remaining ingredients, except sour cream. Mix well. Bring soup to a boil. Reduce heat to low and cover - simmer for 12-14 min, or until squash is tender.

- working in batches, transfer soup to a blender or food processor and puree until smooth. Return pureed sout to pot. Serve hot soup with a dollop of light sour cream in the center if desired (i didn't use the sour cream and didn't miss it!)

makes 6 servings
102 calories
1.9 g total fat
0.3 g sat fat
3g protein
20g carbohydrates
2.4g fiber
Race Hard. Race Happy.

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:26 am

ooo sounds yummy. I have a butternut squash on my counter waiting to be turned into something yummy :)

UltraQueenga
Jerome Drayton

Postby UltraQueenga » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:53 am

I love this soup. I always make it in the fall and freeze some in containers. Mmm, it makes a nice lunch in the winter.
I also have variations on this soup where I make it with grated nutmeg (almost a full spoonful) or with Thai red or green curry. Yummy.
Ultrarunner again

Samantha
Donovan Bailey

Postby Samantha » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:14 am

this is why I don't like their cookbooks - it's always a cup or tbsp. of "something" that I don't have on hand and have to specially buy. Seriously carrot juice and pineapple concentrate? :roll:

NewFinnLoper
Jerome Drayton

Postby NewFinnLoper » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:21 am

Samantha wrote:this is why I don't like their cookbooks - it's always a cup or tbsp. of "something" that I don't have on hand and have to specially buy. Seriously carrot juice and pineapple concentrate? :roll:

I hear you...I'm the absolute worst for following a recipe by the book...and luckily for me, cooking can be VERY forgiving...(unlike baking)...so I just substitute whatever I have on hand...and then what happens is that I like the end result so much that I can never duplicate it again... :?

I actually made a butternut squash soup on Sunday...with way less ingredients than CinC's...squash, onions, garlic, chicken stock, salt, pepper, threw in some cumin, ginger and pepper flakes...then added some cream in the end to give it a nice colour...blended it all together...creamy squash soup...that's what's for lunch today... :)

But I'll never be able to make it the same again...( I really should write stuff down...)
22 halfs (PR 1:42:02) :)
5 full (PR 3:48:21)
...and a smattering of adventure and trail races thrown in for good measure!
--------------------------
All running is on hold until further notice .... :0(

CinC
Lynn Williams

Postby CinC » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:50 am

Samantha wrote:this is why I don't like their cookbooks - it's always a cup or tbsp. of "something" that I don't have on hand and have to specially buy. Seriously carrot juice and pineapple concentrate? :roll:

hence the V8 and tropical fruit concentrate. not that big of a deal.
Race Hard. Race Happy.

invisible
Percy Williams

Postby invisible » Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:43 pm

I've got an abundance of Butternut Squash stored in the basement from last years veg garden, so this recipe, I'm gonna try.
90 percent of the game is not giving up.

Return to “Nutrition and Weight Management”