protein shake

Because you can't outrun a bad diet!
imagine330
Johnny Miles

protein shake

Postby imagine330 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:44 pm

favorites? i am currently looking for a new one.....i can't take the sweetness of my chocolate GNC brand one, or my Weider 90% protein in vanilla, which really tastes like uncooked pancake batter.

I used to have a favorite chocolate one that was GNC brand, but they don't seem to carry it anymore according to the stores. It's unfortunate.

i am looking for one with no sugar (artifical sweetner instead) and very low in carbohydrates.

Agent Provocateur
Bill Crothers

Postby Agent Provocateur » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:23 pm

Just curious as to why you're looking for low-carb. As a runner, you need lots!

But for what it's worth, Nutrition Plus on Pembina has a plethora of protein shakes in a multitude of flavours and formulations.
Love life, eat plants, do yoga.

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:07 pm

my favourite shake is GeniSoy, but I'm not sure how much sugar and stuff is in it... I can look it up later if you like.
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

imagine330
Johnny Miles

Postby imagine330 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:38 am

[quote="Agent Provocateur"]Just curious as to why you're looking for low-carb. As a runner, you need lots!
quote]

i already eat WAY too many carbs as it is...i would rather eat them than drink them! (and i am SURE i need to cut back anyways)

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:07 pm

i already eat WAY too many carbs as it is...i would rather eat them than drink them! (and i am SURE i need to cut back anyways)
Is a dietician advisitng you that you need more protein? If not, I doubt you really need a protein drink if you already eat enough calories. Most foods with carbs also contain protein, and most of us likely get more protein than our body needs (the excess just gets used for energy).

Protein drinks are for people that want more calories from protein than they easily get from food, and really only benefit body-builders or people trying to gain weight.

I certainly wouldn't overdo anything with lots of artificial sweeteners.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

imagine330
Johnny Miles

Postby imagine330 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:32 pm

okay..so i rarely eat meat, all my carbs are breads and pastas. I need more protein and less carbs. If i was an extreme long distance runner then maybe i would understand the need for more carbs. But i am not. I run 40 minutes a day, and about 5.5km a day NOT very much!!. I need protein i do not get enough. And it is suggested by my doctor (all with lots more green veggies) Too many carbs (in the way i eat them) are not good for anyone until they start running crazy distances, which i do not or are able to burn them and not store them as fat (which i can not) . I may just have a different opinion on some of this stuff, especially when it comes to sugar. I will not express my opinon here since others i'm sure are very different. We can talk about other fun stuff instead then! ;)

MINITEE
Lynn Williams

Postby MINITEE » Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:20 pm

I'm kind of in the same boat.. I don't eat a lot of meat, but a lot of whole grain pasta and bread. Even when I was running longer distances I didn't add any more carbs to my diet.

I don't always have time for an egg/egg whites in the morning, so I use a protein shake frequently (or Boost with extra protein if I'm in a bind). I find that having the protein early in the day gets me going faster & keeps me going longer.

I'm really liking the President's Choice Soy Protein right now (from Loblaws/Superstore). 14 g of protein, 17 g of carbs, 14 g of sugar. That's based on 2 scoops of the powder on it's own.

I often mix the chocolate with skim milk, some vanilla yogurt and a banana.

Vanilla powder, I'll mix with blueberries, vanilla yogurt and skim milk.
KEEP GOING, NEVER GIVE UP: Spencer D

Hey, be careful around me, apparently I'm a chronically offended kind of person... ;)

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:40 am

I'm another carb-lover and I know that I eat way more than is balanced... but I think I eat enough eggs and dairy to get the protein I need. It's the veggies that I'm short on. :P

Here's the GeniSoy info--no idea if it's what you're looking for:

per 40 gram serving:

150 Cal
Protein - 15g
Fat - 1g
Carb - 20g
sugar - 17g
Sodium - 171mg
Potassium - 268mg

Still too high on the carbs, I'm guessing?
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:10 am

I wasnt trying to say that you needed more carbs, just that you probably also don't need that much more protein. Bread and pasta contain protein, too, as do most plant foods. :)

I also sometimes use Genisoy protein powder after my long runs to get in some quick calories, because it aids my recovery.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

AirForceRunner
Bill Crothers

Postby AirForceRunner » Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:17 pm

I echo JWolf's comments about protein shakes. It is apparently one of the most over-marketed supplements out there. Having said that, I believe they can be useful immediately after exercise. They say you have a 30 min window of opportunity post workout to get max protein absorption. Feel like scarfing a steak after a long run? Me neither...this is where protein shakes come in useful.
http://www.itsmyrun.com/?display=myrace ... orceRunner

2011 Wishlist
Sulphur Springs 50 miler
Dirty Girls 12 hr night run
Haliburton 100 miler (gulp!)

"Try the meditation of the trail, just walk along looking at the trail at your feet and don't look about and just fall into a trance as the ground zips by..."
-Jack Kerouac

"I am no longer a runner, I am now a father who runs. I will let the running come to me and I will make the most of every km I am fortunate enough to receive."
-Smack

Montreal Mike
Percy Williams

Postby Montreal Mike » Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:27 pm

I use Vega Smoothie infusion. No sugar, organic hemp based shake. Full of greens as well.

It was created by Brendan Bazier, a Canadian world class triathalete.

Agent Provocateur
Bill Crothers

Postby Agent Provocateur » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:12 am

Montreal Mike wrote:I use Vega Smoothie infusion. No sugar, organic hemp based shake. Full of greens as well.

It was created by Brendan Bazier, a Canadian world class triathalete.

The Smoothie Infusion is tasty, but nowhere near the nutritional powerhouse of the full-on Vega. Mmmm, Vega!

:wink:
Love life, eat plants, do yoga.

bgroot
Johnny Miles

Postby bgroot » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:44 am

I've heard great things about the Vega Product but haven't used it much myself. I'm in a bit of a different situation as it comes to the need for protein shakes. I have been going through A LOT of protein powder over the last couple months as I have been doing a lot of intense training for a 70.3 Triathlon and I'm running several marathons this fall so one of my main focuses is fast recovery. I really like to have a shake within the first 30-60 minutes following a tough workout and I'm not worried too much about the calories, as long as they are "good" calories. I have developed a rather tasty and nutritious shake with I have yet to get tired of consisting of:
Scoop of Allmax IsoFlex Vanilla protein powder
Spoonful of Glutamine powder
Spoonful of ChiaPro powder
A few spoonful of yogurt(1 single serving cup will do too)
A few frozen strawberries or mixed fruit of your choice will do
Fill the rest up with part milk and part orange juice or something high in Vitamin C

I have a Magic Bullet blender that works awesome for this type of drink. It's quick and easy and packs a pretty good punch as far as helping a speedy recovery.
Brian

Upcoming races:
Rotorua Marathon, New Zealand

http://www.mindfulnessrunning.com

Return to “Nutrition and Weight Management”