5 year old that won't eat meat

Because you can't outrun a bad diet!
Mich
Bill Crothers

5 year old that won't eat meat

Postby Mich » Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:39 pm

What do you feed a 5 year old that won't eat any meat. No chicken, fish, pork, beef etc.. She likes raw veggies but not cooked veggies. I've tried different kinds of beans but she won't eat those either. She is now tired of noodles and cheese, that was her most requested supper dish. I'm pulling out my hair trying to get her to eat. Any suggestions. Vegetarian dishes that kids might like?
A workout is a series of exercises which help convert fats, sugars, and starches into aches, pains, and cramps. ~Author Unknown

5K Endurance D.D.O. 33:08 Aug.13 2008
PEC team Challenge Leg 3 - Oct.5 2008
Rattle Me Bones 10K 1:06:55 - Oct.26 2008

Double Yellow Headed Amazons http://www.mlaviaries.com

joe
Bill Crothers

Postby joe » Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:52 pm

You can trick them by wrapping meat in a veggie...

Well, sorta meat...

For those wondering, it's a french fry coated hotdog on a stick.

What kid could say no?
Race Photos: http://www.zoomphoto.ca (Ask me about the RM Coupon!)

Mich
Bill Crothers

Postby Mich » Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:01 pm

joe wrote:You can trick them by wrapping meat in a veggie...

Well, sorta meat...

For those wondering, it's a french fry coated hotdog on a stick.

What kid could say no?

Mine. My 7 and 5 year old do not like french fries. Hot Dogs are tolerated by only one.
A workout is a series of exercises which help convert fats, sugars, and starches into aches, pains, and cramps. ~Author Unknown

5K Endurance D.D.O. 33:08 Aug.13 2008
PEC team Challenge Leg 3 - Oct.5 2008
Rattle Me Bones 10K 1:06:55 - Oct.26 2008

Double Yellow Headed Amazons http://www.mlaviaries.com

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:17 pm

I dunno, when I was a kid I had to eat lots of things I didn't like. It's about nutrition... when she's 18 she can eat what she likes. ;)
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

seuss
Kevin Sullivan

Postby seuss » Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:19 pm

Joe - the only thing that would make that better would be to wrap it in bacon.

Mich - will she eat eggs of any kind?

smoothies with protein powder?

Boost?
2010 - gone viral?
2011 - mitochondrial mystery tour

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:53 pm

Just keep offering her different foods. She'll eat something when she's hungry enough. Kids are always going through low and high periods of eating, but won't be malnourished if you offer enough different foods. Also, don't make a big deal about getting her to try things-- just offer. Don't make it a battle.

My daughter is vegetarian, partly because we ate hardly any meat when she was younger. We do eat some now (not much, but my younger child likes it), but she has chosen to stay strictly vegetarian.

She eats cheese, yogurt, other dairy, eggs, and tofu, along with lots of pasta, breads and cereals, rice, fruits and veggies.

There's very liittle chance that that your daughter not getting enough protein if she is eating enough food in general. All plant foods have some protein and if she's getting enough calories (especially if she's eating dairy and eggs), she's getting enough. :)
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

treadlightly
Bruce Kidd

Postby treadlightly » Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:07 am

Edamame? Breaded and baked tofu? Protein-rich grains like quinoa? Oatmeal?

My 6-yo daughter is vegetarian. Jwolf is right - with a wide variety of foods, veggie kids can be very healthy.

I like the Vegan Lunch Box blog and the resulting book. Great ideas for kids.
Green Smoothies Rock!

~waves~
Johnny Miles

Postby ~waves~ » Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:36 am

My 7 year old sounds like your 5 year old! He also won't eat any dairy. My 4 year old will eat anything...go figure.

Similar to jwolf's advice we've never forced the issue nor used treats as a bribe. Most paediatricians recommend not forcing it and to continue offering on their plate different options. Trying to force a picky kid to eat something will only set you back and likely forever eliminate that food item from their diet (at least until they're an adult). Over the years we've seen his limited menu selection slowly increase but we still struggle on a daily basis to ensure he gets enough calcium.

For protein he eats lots of nuts. Cashews, almonds (roasted in the oven), pistachios etc. Unsalted except the pistachios. He'll also eat bacon if you strip the fat out and will eat 2 chicken mcnuggets from McDonalds (we were desperate at the time and trying different protein foods...). He'll also grudgingly eat breaded fish sticks but any more than twice per month and forget it. The only dairy he'll eat now is frozen yoplaits. But he will eat tons of fruit and vegetables (uncooked only).

We call it his birdfood diet but interestingly we recently saw a journal article that highly recommended more or less the same diet for children as the best possible nutritional intake.

He'll also eat smoothies and my wife found a no-taste calcium powder supplement which she adds to them. We add yogurt to the smoothies for addl protein and calcium.
Good luck!
Next up:
Fix my knees

Races:
2008 Royal Victoria Half - 1:39:47 (my first race!!!)

Reports:
Royal Victoria (1/2) Marathon - This is my story (my first race report!)

VeloCarrie
Abby Hoffman

Postby VeloCarrie » Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:41 am

I liked the veggie burgers and veggie hotdogs when I was younger. I don't really eat them a lot now, but those might work.
Running is cheaper than therapy and I need a lot of therapy.

I solemnly swear that I'm up to no good. ~Harry Potter
Get off the friggin' assfalt and run dirt. ~Strider

What doesn't kill me will only make me stronger.

toobusy
Jerome Drayton

Postby toobusy » Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:15 am

boy, this sounds familiar.

I may also be just an age thing, rather than an actual attempt to be veggie.

Tri_K
Jerome Drayton

Postby Tri_K » Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:39 am

klewlis wrote:I dunno, when I was a kid I had to eat lots of things I didn't like. It's about nutrition... when she's 18 she can eat what she likes. ;)

You do that and meal times become a major battle ground. Kids fight to control any part of their lives they can and as a parent you choose your battles. Giving parenting advice is a whole lot easier than actually being a parent. I used to give my brother parenting advice and judge the way he chose to raise his daughter until I had a child of my own. Then I apologized to him because I had absolutely no idea what I was talking about. Note that none of the parents gave this advice because they understand what it's like to be in this situation.
Last edited by Tri_K on Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

bnn
Jerome Drayton

Postby bnn » Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:44 am

How about making some bean based dips for her raw veggies?

White Bean Dip
Hummus?

How about making some quesadillas with smooshed white beans or brown beans (rather than refried) and LOTS of cheese ;-)
Just call me the thread killa

Tri_K
Jerome Drayton

Postby Tri_K » Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:47 am

Can you bring them grocery shopping with you and let them pick out what they want? How about perogies? My son loves them - cheddar and potato or spinach and feta.

bnn
Jerome Drayton

Postby bnn » Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:48 am

Will she eat eggs? Our 'rushed' meal is often an egg omlette - kids can decide what goes in theirs.

bnn
Jerome Drayton

Postby bnn » Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:48 am

Tri_K wrote:Can you bring them grocery shopping with you and let them pick out what they want? How about perogies? My son loves them - cheddar and potato or spinach and feta.

Oh yeah perogies are awesome mmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:25 am

Tri_K wrote:
klewlis wrote:I dunno, when I was a kid I had to eat lots of things I didn't like. It's about nutrition... when she's 18 she can eat what she likes. ;)

You do that and meal times become a major battle ground. Kids fight to control any part of their lives they can and as a parent you choose your battles. Giving parenting advice is a whole lot easier than actually being a parent. I used to give my brother parenting advice and judge the way he chose to raise his daughter until I had a child of my own. Then I apologized to him because I had absolutely no idea what I was talking about. Note that none of the parents gave this advice because they understand what it's like to be in this situation.

True - but, Holly is giving the advice based on how she was raised.....and, in fact, I agree with her (and Jwolf):

Jwolf wrote:Just keep offering her different foods. She'll eat something when she's hungry enough. Kids are always going through low and high periods of eating, but won't be malnourished if you offer enough different foods. Also, don't make a big deal about getting her to try things-- just offer. Don't make it a battle.

My daughter is vegetarian, partly because we ate hardly any meat when she was younger. We do eat some now (not much, but my younger child likes it), but she has chosen to stay strictly vegetarian.

She eats cheese, yogurt, other dairy, eggs, and tofu, along with lots of pasta, breads and cereals, rice, fruits and veggies.

There's very liittle chance that that your daughter not getting enough protein if she is eating enough food in general. All plant foods have some protein and if she's getting enough calories (especially if she's eating dairy and eggs), she's getting enough.

We made two major changes to the way that we served supper when the IronBigKids are here - since their pickiness was driving me crazy (and I was getting sick of the same meal over and over again)....

1 - served the meal "family style" - put all the food in the middle of the table and let them choose what they ate (and served themselves). Ironically, they always take a little bit of everything - we haven't told them that they have to, but, we haven't told them that they could choose. ;)

2 - make sure that at every meal there is something that each person likes - even if that is just rice or bread. eventually, if that is all they ate, they would get sick of it ;) (that's advice from Sandi Richards - Cooking For The Rushed cookbooks) and eventually start eating/trying other foods. The basic advice is that if you cater to them now, you will have to continue catering......

Having said all this - I understand your concern for protein...we have similar concerns with fruit/veggies...therefore, the kids have to have a fruit/veggie or yogourt after supper before dessert.
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

bruyere
Abby Hoffman

Postby bruyere » Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:56 am

She's a little young for this, I think, but I had this "argument" with my folks when I was 13-14. We were an "eat what's on your plate" family but I didn't want the meet. There was a struggle for several months, and then my folks took me to a dietitian so I could learn how to do it right.

As I said, I know she's too young for that now, but I'm just tossing it out there in the hope that maybe it'll trigger some other adaptable idea. I dunno.
"I was thinking of you yesterday as I was running through the woods. As I jumped over a fallen tree I said "If I were [bruyere], I'd be bleeding by now"." - Turd Ferguson

BJH
Lynn Williams

Postby BJH » Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:09 pm

bruyère wrote:She's a little young for this, I think, but I had this "argument" with my folks when I was 13-14. We were an "eat what's on your plate" family but I didn't want the meet. There was a struggle for several months, and then my folks took me to a dietitian so I could learn how to do it right.

As I said, I know she's too young for that now, but I'm just tossing it out there in the hope that maybe it'll trigger some other adaptable idea. I dunno.

Tee hee. My Mom is a dietician. And I lived on bologne, processed cheese and carrot sticks for about six months when I was eight.

Mich, you have my sympathies. There are some good suggestions here. Good luck.
The road to hell is paved. Run trails.

CAW
Lynn Williams

Postby CAW » Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:41 pm

Irongirl wrote:
Tri_K wrote:

True - but, Holly is giving the advice based on how she was raised.....and, in fact, I agree with her (and Jwolf):

Jwolf wrote:Just keep offering her different foods. She'll eat something when she's hungry enough. Kids are always going through low and high periods of eating, but won't be malnourished if you offer enough different foods. Also, don't make a big deal about getting her to try things-- just offer. Don't make it a battle.

There's very liittle chance that that your daughter not getting enough protein if she is eating enough food in general. All plant foods have some protein and if she's getting enough calories (especially if she's eating dairy and eggs), she's getting enough.

We made two major changes to the way that we served supper when the IronBigKids are here - since their pickiness was driving me crazy (and I was getting sick of the same meal over and over again)....

1 - served the meal "family style" - put all the food in the middle of the table and let them choose what they ate (and served themselves). Ironically, they always take a little bit of everything - we haven't told them that they have to, but, we haven't told them that they could choose. ;)

2 - make sure that at every meal there is something that each person likes - even if that is just rice or bread. eventually, if that is all they ate, they would get sick of it ;) (that's advice from Sandi Richards - Cooking For The Rushed cookbooks) and eventually start eating/trying other foods. The basic advice is that if you cater to them now, you will have to continue catering......

Having said all this - I understand your concern for protein...we have similar concerns with fruit/veggies...therefore, the kids have to have a fruit/veggie or yogourt after supper before dessert.

I also agree with what was said here.

I grew up in an eat what is on your plate family as well. Even after developing an allergy to seafood, my family would try to make me eat it. (Apparently projectile vomiting is not a deterrent for eating what is on my plate :roll: )

As a result, Scotty and I have taken the stance with our kids that is very similar to what Ironfamily does with IronBigKids.

My kids are 5.5 and 7 and they know that the only family rule is that they have to at least try everything on their plate. Their "trying" has to be when Scotty or I can see, so that we know they've tried it.

Often times there are things that the kids didn't like before, but tried and now like, on their plate. Their palates are changing as they grow and they are developing a taste for unusual foods because of our "Try it" rule.

Boy's favorite veggies are sweet potatoes (not candied) and zucchini. Girl's favorite veggies are peas and asparagus.

They both LOVE quinoa (prefer it over rice) and when it comes to meats...boy likes lamb and moose and girl likes chicken (roasted) and chicken (what can I say...she's still picky).

Boy absolutely hated anything with tomato in it, including pizza and spaghetti right up until about 3 months ago...(really, what boy doesn't love pizza??) but because of the "try it" rule, he now loves pizza and spaghetti with meat sauce.

I have always refused to cater to my kids finicky-ness, but I have never forced them to eat something they didn't like either. I spent far too many evenings as a child having to swallow peas like pills just to be able to leave the dinner table, I'm not going to do the same to my kids.
~Kara~

"To be beautiful means to be yourself. You don’t need to be accepted by others. You need to accept yourself."
— Thich Nhat Hanh

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:08 pm

I spent far too many evenings as a child having to swallow peas like pills just to be able to leave the dinner table

Did we have the same parents? My mother wouldnt let me leave the table until i finished what was on the plate. I spent many nights sitting at the table for hours, while my sisters were done eons ago and running around playing :lol:

In terms of fun foods, what about burritos (with refried beans-yum), and other mexican stuff. It is healthy and is also really kid friendly.

I haven't decided yet what i am going to do with a picky eater... all these decisions to make, i guess i will cross that bridge when/if i come to it!
Lady of the Order of the Velour Track Suit

DJC
Johnny Miles

Postby DJC » Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:20 pm

Have a child sit down at the table with everyone else at mealtime, however don't serve them any food. just carry on with your own eating. They will eventually ask for what is on the table and you won't have that tug of war with food that is often experienced with picky eaters. Like someone mentioned....don't make an issue of it or force them to eat. They will eventually get it and eat when hungry. :D

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:21 pm

I guess one of the things that hasn't been mentioned (or, has been talked around) - will she not eat meat because she doesn't like it, or, because she has ethical issues with it?

part of me thinks that if she doesn't like it, then, my first post still stands.

if she has ethical issues with it (at 5?!), then, figuring out a good protein alternative for her is definitely necessary!
i run for me.

bnn
Jerome Drayton

Postby bnn » Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:25 pm

I'm pretty sure she asked for kid friendly vegetarian recipes - not parenting advice. :)

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Re: 5 year old that won't eat meat

Postby Irongirl » Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:27 pm

Mich wrote:What do you feed a 5 year old that won't eat any meat. No chicken, fish, pork, beef etc.. She likes raw veggies but not cooked veggies. I've tried different kinds of beans but she won't eat those either. She is now tired of noodles and cheese, that was her most requested supper dish. I'm pulling out my hair trying to get her to eat. Any suggestions. Vegetarian dishes that kids might like?

looks to me like she asked for suggestions on getting her to eat as well. ;)

as for vegetarian dishes......the cookbook that we use "Cooking for the Rushed" series - that the IronBigKids have surprised us and have liked most of the recipes.....has suggestions to turn most of the meals into vegetarian meals.
i run for me.

farmgirlinthecity
Bill Crothers

Postby farmgirlinthecity » Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:35 pm

There is also the cookbook Deceptively Delicious...not sure if it has meat suggestions but definitely has lots of "tricks" for veggies. My friend with picky twins uses it often.

http://www.deceptivelydelicious.com/site/
Jenn

A Fit Mom is a Powerful Mom

“When nothing seems to help, I go look at a stonecutter hammering away at his rock perhaps a hundred times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the hundred and first blow - it will split in two, and I know it was not that blow that did it, but all that had gone before.” Jacob Riis

Return to “Nutrition and Weight Management”