When You Are Starving...

Because you can't outrun a bad diet!
IronGoddess
Jerome Drayton

When You Are Starving...

Postby IronGoddess » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:17 pm

So I was do my morning errands when I realized how hungry I was. So then I realized I forgot my mid morning snack.AHHH. So what do you do when you know it will be AT Least 2 hrs before you get home to eat but you don't want to eat crap and it has to be something you can eat while driving around. What did I do.. coffee that was it. Then I came home and ate myself silly.
IMC 2015

eme
Lynn Williams

Re: When You Are Starving...

Postby eme » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:19 pm

Raw veggies - I have even seen the pre-cut ones at 7-Eleven.

My favourite snack at my desk in the afternoon - celery with PB. Sounds kind of gross but tastes really good.

IronGoddess
Jerome Drayton

Postby IronGoddess » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:59 pm

It has been so long since I was at a 7-11 I didn't know they had healthy stuff. I just think of Timmy's or Star**** and end up with a coffee.
IMC 2015

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:28 pm

Running goddess wrote:It has been so long since I was at a 7-11 I didn't know they had healthy stuff. I just think of Timmy's or Star**** and end up with a coffee.

They have CIBC bank machines and it is closer than the bank :lol:.

Avis
Jerome Drayton

Postby Avis » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:23 pm

eme wrote:
My favourite snack at my desk in the afternoon - celery with PB. Sounds kind of gross but tastes really good.

If you put some raisins on top of the peanut butter, you have "ants on a log," which sounds even more disgusting, but is quite tasty. Kids like this snack, too.
"We are made of dreams and bones."
--The Garden Song

"By perseverance, the snail reached the ark."
--Charles H. Spurgeon

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
--Pablo Picasso

Joe Dwarf
Bill Crothers

Postby Joe Dwarf » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:43 pm

I like dried fruit. If I'm shopping for groceries I'll often buy a small bag of it from the bulk bins for a snack on the spot. But I'm equally likely to go for a handful of candy from a 25 cent machine.

fingerboy
Bill Crothers

Postby fingerboy » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:00 pm

most of the coffee shops have some sort of yogurt + granola option....yum

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:32 pm

Avis wrote:
eme wrote:

If you put some raisins on top of the peanut butter, you have "ants on a log," which sounds even more disgusting, but is quite tasty. Kids like this snack, too.

I love ants on a log!

I usually buy one of those "yop" drinkable yogurts. Or you can get those yogurt and berries (even better!) from Starbucks and maybe Timmys too?

Or, I get a tea latte, which has enough milk to give me a little pick me up. I also keep dried fruit bars in my purse.
Lady of the Order of the Velour Track Suit

Ironboy
Abby Hoffman

Postby Ironboy » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:35 pm

Running Goddess wrote:So I was do my morning errands when I realized how hungry I was. So then I realized I forgot my mid morning snack.AHHH. So what do you do when you know it will be AT Least 2 hrs before you get home to eat but you don't want to eat crap and it has to be something you can eat while driving around. What did I do.. coffee that was it. Then I came home and ate myself silly.

Close to my snack of choice. I have a latte. More tasty and filling than a coffee and still not to many calories. So I'm not famished when I get to my meal and therefore don't eat myself silly.

mcshame
Sylvia Ruegger

When You Are Starving...

Postby mcshame » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:52 pm

I'll go into a grocery store and get a bag of mixed fruit and nuts or a baked lays bag of chip 'cus it's lower cals. If I'm out and about and need lunch, subway

VeloCarrie
Abby Hoffman

Postby VeloCarrie » Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:22 pm

Ironboy wrote:
Running Goddess wrote:So I was do my morning errands when I realized how hungry I was. So then I realized I forgot my mid morning snack.AHHH. So what do you do when you know it will be AT Least 2 hrs before you get home to eat but you don't want to eat crap and it has to be something you can eat while driving around. What did I do.. coffee that was it. Then I came home and ate myself silly.

Close to my snack of choice. I have a latte. More tasty and filling than a coffee and still not to many calories. So I'm not famished when I get to my meal and therefore don't eat myself silly.

I'm along the same as IB. Quad venti soy latte. It's almost a meal in itself, and when I'm at work, I've got to keep hopping!
Running is cheaper than therapy and I need a lot of therapy.

I solemnly swear that I'm up to no good. ~Harry Potter
Get off the friggin' assfalt and run dirt. ~Strider

What doesn't kill me will only make me stronger.

getfit
Jerome Drayton

Postby getfit » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:50 pm

You guys are all so good. If I go for coffee I always end up with at least a Tim Bit :oops: But if I'm out shopping for groceries, I have been known to rip open a box of cereal and munch on it while driving around or a bag of baby carrots. I stopped buying the bags of trail mix because I can't portion control myself. If I know the bag is in the cupboard I will grab a handful everytime I'm in the kitchen. This time of year I love apples that are coming into season. Sooooo much better than the apples they keep in storage over the winter or import. So I will most likely be munching on those in the weeks to come.
"I'm not sufficiently organized or ambitious to do all the things you're supposed to do if you're serious. The more time you spend fiddlediddling with this and that, the less time there is to run." ED WHITLOCK

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:00 pm

Coffee.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:01 pm

at least 2 hours before you are home to eat.....

Bagel with cream cheese.

I need the carbs and the protein if I get to the "starving" phase.
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

runfbrun
Tom Longboat

Postby runfbrun » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:21 am

I love trail mix! Nuts, dried fruits....delicious. I find portion control difficult though.

Coffee is another favourite!

PinkLady
Bill Crothers

Postby PinkLady » Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:01 pm

Avis wrote:
eme wrote:

OMG, ants on a log rock!! I used to have this kids' cookbook when I was little, and they also had a variation on this where you put PB in celery, used the raisins like people and put them in pairs in the PB, and then used toothpicks and carrot slices for wheels to make race cars.

Back on topic....protein and something crunchy usually hits the spot without being too junky. You can usually find single serving sizes of hummus or at least a small tub, and a bag of those mini pitas work great for dipping. Ready-to-go counters at Superstore and the like usually have veggies and dip, or fruit parfaits.
Sandra...Air Force wife & Professional Kid Wrangler...I knit to stay sane, I run to eat!
2012 - year of perseverance, endurance, survival, and earning blackmail material for life. :D
My running log: http://www.runningmania.com/forum/viewt ... 18&t=44092

PB's:
Army Run HM (Sep 18, 2011) - 1:55:14

Return to “Nutrition and Weight Management”