Vegan/Vegetarian Athletes? Anyone?

Because you can't outrun a bad diet!
Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Re: Vegan/Vegetarian Athletes? Anyone?

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:03 pm

treadlightly wrote:
killerbeetle wrote:Okay, I have a question for other vegans/vegetarians... do you find animal flesh gross to look at now that you've given it up? I never did have a problem with meat but all of a sudden one day after I'd given it up, it doesn't look like food anymore. Now it's just a piece of dead animal and I dislike walking through the meat section... :? Cheese and eggs gross me out too, but not quite as much.

Looking at meat really bothers me, especially watching someone tear into a chicken wing or something. Dairy bothers me because a calf was torn away from its mother to produce it, and in the case of a male calf, killed shortly thereafter. Eggs don't really bother me.

Tracey, I don't like looking at it either.
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

Agent Provocateur
Bill Crothers

Postby Agent Provocateur » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:52 pm

I do find it difficult to look at meat, dairy and eggs. I particularly find it difficult to smell them. That being said, I try not to dwell on it because I dine with so many non-vegans, be it work colleagues or outings with friends. I just try to focus on my food and the great conversation. :D
Love life, eat plants, do yoga.

killerbeetle
Bruce Kidd

Postby killerbeetle » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:02 pm

Agent Provocateur wrote:That being said, I try not to dwell on it because I dine with so many non-vegans, be it work colleagues or outings with friends. I just try to focus on my food and the great conversation. :D

Yeah, I do this too! I even still cook eggs for my toddler because they are his favourite. I wouldn't cook meat though. I don't want to touch it again...

New questions! :) [I'm totally hijacking this thread, sorry!]

What are your favourite upsides to being vegetarian/vegan?
2013 Plans:

Get off butt.

Agent Provocateur
Bill Crothers

Postby Agent Provocateur » Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:55 am

killerbeetle wrote:New questions! :) [I'm totally hijacking this thread, sorry!]

Feeling better, in general.

I used to have bad acid reflux - gone.
I used to suffer from a lot of congestion (which I attributed to random allergies) - gone.
When I work out, I recover quite quickly (dwayne_runs_far noticed this too, in a pretty dramatic way).
Now that I know about the meat-egg-dairy industries, I feel good knowing I'm not a part of that.
Being able to get a comment like "if you didn't tell me it was vegan, I wouldn't have known!" when I make baked goods (particularly "cheese"cake and Nanaimo bars).
Knowing the love of Chocolate Almond Milk. Mmmmmmm...
Making more of my own food - satisfying and nutritious.

rockstar79
Bill Crothers

Postby rockstar79 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:42 pm

Agent Provocateur wrote:
killerbeetle wrote:New questions! :) [I'm totally hijacking this thread, sorry!]

I used to have bad acid reflux - gone.
I used to suffer from a lot of congestion (which I attributed to random allergies) - gone.
When I work out, I recover quite quickly (dwayne_runs_far noticed this too, in a pretty dramatic way).
Now that I know about the meat-egg-dairy industries, I feel good knowing I'm not a part of that.
Being able to get a comment like "if you didn't tell me it was vegan, I wouldn't have known!" when I make baked goods (particularly "cheese"cake and Nanaimo bars).
Knowing the love of Chocolate Almond Milk. Mmmmmmm...

Vegan nanaimo bars? Please share this recipe. Stat. :)
Next?
:)

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:44 pm

rockstar79 wrote:Vegan nanaimo bars? Please share this recipe. Stat. :)

I'm intrested in that one and the faux cheesecake.
As long as there's no partially hydrogenated vegetable shortening.

I make a really good vegan chocolate cake that is super easy Uses baking soda and vinegar as leavening, and regular vegetable oil. You can do a banana bread the same way.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

killerbeetle
Bruce Kidd

Postby killerbeetle » Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:46 pm

Jwolf wrote:
rockstar79 wrote:Vegan nanaimo bars? Please share this recipe. Stat. :)

I'm intrested in that one and the faux cheesecake.
As long as there's no partially hydrogenated vegetable shortening.

I make a really good vegan chocolate cake that is super easy Uses baking soda and vinegar as leavening, and regular vegetable oil. You can do a banana bread the same way.

Yes I'm very interested too if there is no hydrogenated shortening.

Jen, do you think you could share the chocolate cake recipe? I've only tried blueberry muffins so far and a substitute of applesauce worked well.

Agent Provocateur wrote:

When I work out, I recover quite quickly

I have had a very similar experience. My digestion problems are starting to go away since switching to a vegan diet. In May I made an exception and ate hot wings with friends, and I spent almost a day brutally ill. On this diet I feel and look a lot healthier. My mood and energy have both increased too. I'll soon find out if it has helped my asthma and immune system too since I have a cold and had a bad asthma attack last night... (I didn't expect the acute symptoms to be fixed but hopefully I will recover faster this time!)
2013 Plans:

Get off butt.

Agent Provocateur
Bill Crothers

Postby Agent Provocateur » Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:41 pm

The vegan nanaimo bars I made were from Sarah Kramer's cookbook Vegan a Gogo. I'd share the recipe, but I don't have permission... unless you're my friend and you email me and I email you back, I guess. (Anyone on here a copyright expert??)

Oh wait, I found a VIDEO of her nanaimo bars!!! http://www.everydaydish.tv/index.php?page=recipe&recipe=159

Vegan cheesecake - mostly I use the recipes in Sinfully Vegan. But I have purchased one at my health food store from Sweets from the Earth. http://www.sweetsfromtheearth.com/product-category.html?cid=12. I've had the chocolate and the blueberry. I haven't come across the vanilla one yet, but if I do, I'll be sure to try it!!

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:14 pm

Found this on the net:
http://www.everydaydish.tv/index.php?pa ... recipe=159

Nanaimo Bars

Bottom Layer
1/2 cup vegan margarine
1/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup cocoa powder
2 tbsp ground flax seed
3 tbsp water
1/2 cup walnuts, finely chopped
1 cup unsweetened coconut, flaked
1 1/4 cup vegan graham cracker crust

Middle Layer
1/2 cup vegan margarine
2 tbsp vegan milk
1 tbsp cornstarch
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp turmeric
2 cups powdered icing sugar

Top Layer
2 tbsp vegan margarine
4 1-oz (28g) squares unsweetened chocolate

To prepare the bottom layer: In a medium saucepan on low heat, melt the margarine and sugar, stirring to combine. Once liquefied, stir in the cocoa until smooth. Remove from heat. In a medium bowl, stir together the flax seeds, water, walnuts, cocoanut and graham cracker crumbs. Add the chocolate sauce and stir well. Press mixture into an ungreased 8X8-in (20X20cm) pan. Set aside.

To prepare the top layer: In medium saucepan on low heat, melt the margarine. Add the chocolate and melt, stirring often to prevent burning. Remove from heat and set aside to pour over middle layer. You want sauce to be cooled but liquid to still spread easily.

To prepare middle layer and assemble bars: In a food processor or medium bowl, cream together the margarine, “milk”, starch, vanilla, turmeric, and icing sugar until well mixed. Spread evenly over bottom layer. Spoon chocolate sauce evenly over middle layer and set pan in fridge immediately. Let chill for 2+ hours before cutting and serving. Makes 9 squares.

Recipe adapted from Vegan A Go-Go, by Sarah Kramer, 2008, Arsenal Pulp Press
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:15 pm

P.s. I'll post the other recipes tomorrow :).

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:48 pm

I am vegan, but not totally raw. I am very anti preservatives. I am very low fat and sugar. I think high quality nutrition improves recovery after workouts. I don't see giving myself too many calories that have no purpose. Giving myself "treats" reflects a mentality of entitlement that I struggle against. I try to eat to run not run to eat. I am not plagued with food craving like I used to be. Being free of obcessive food thoughts is the most magnificent thing.

I can't prove that my health comes from what I eat. I can only say I am in great shape.

I don't eat meat or drink alcohol primarily because it interferes with my God connection; by generating inharmonious vibrations or disrupting natural brain receptivity. (he he, yes I am that insane, and happy about it).

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:55 pm

Moosewood Six-Minute Chocloate Cake (this wasn't an original for them, and there are various others like it out there-- including my old Betty Crocker recipe):

http://www.recipezaar.com/recipe/Six-Mi ... ake-133387

I don't use the glaze, but if you do you can make it vegan without the milk (or with rice milk)

Ingredients

Cake

* 1 1/2 cups unbleached white flour
* 1/3 cup cocoa powder
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1 cup sugar
* 1/2 cup vegetable oil
* 1 cup cold water or brewed coffee
* 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
* 2 tablespoons vinegar

Glaze

* 1/2 lb bittersweet chocolate
* 3/4 cup hot water or milk
* 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions

1. Preheat the oven to 375°F.
2. Sift the flour, cocoa, baking soda, salt and sugar into an ungreased 8 inch square or 9 inch round baking tin.
3. In a 2 cup measuring cup, measure and mix the oil, water or coffee and vanilla.
4. Pour the liquid ingredients into the baking tin and mix the batter with a fork or small whisk.
5. When the batter is smooth, add the vinegar and stir quickly. Pale swirls will occur where the vinegar and baking soda react. Stir just until the vinegar is even distributed throughout the batter.
6. Bake for 25-30 minutes. Set aside the cake to cool.
7. If you are making the glaze, reset the oven to 300°F.
8. Melt the chocolate in small ovenproof bowl or heavy skillet in the oven for about 15 minutes. Stir the hot liquid and vanilla into the chocolate until smooth.
9. Spoon the glaze over the cooled cake. Refrigerate the glazed cake for a minimum of 30 minutes before serving.

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:56 pm

I am happy that many of you have found happiness in a veg/vegan lifestyle but it also makes sad to read the health benefits.

I suffer from:

- sevre acid reflux (emerg visit at 0330 hrs on Canada Day) - I have noticed a problem with eating protein i.e. steak especially
- digestive issues, partly related to the acid reflux and lactose intolerance
- congestion due to allergies

While I do not mind eating meat free, my DH in no way could go meat free - it just would not happen. ETA - DH is allergic to nuts, so I can't use any as a source of protein.

I do not have any strong personal convictions against eating meat or dairy (sorry) but I am headed in the direction that I am going to have to go veg/vegan to feel healthy again.

Sigh.

I am definately going to have to try the vegan cheesecake - I looooove cheesecake and anything that Natalie approves has to be good (her lentil meatballs rock).

Running Bishop
Percy Williams

Postby Running Bishop » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:25 pm

Lentil Meatballs you say?

I would like to know more...

Agent Provocateur
Bill Crothers

Postby Agent Provocateur » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:21 pm

Running Bishop wrote:Lentil Meatballs you say?

I would like to know more...

I'm trying to remember, as it was an improvised recipe. I think we used Big Ben's Lentil Burgers (Sarah Kramer's recipe) and rolled it into balls. Then we put it in the slow cooker with my old recipe for sweet and sour sauce. As I recall, it's a container of Welch's grape jelly and a container of Heinz chili sauce. I can't remember if those two products are vegan or if I had to substitute... it was a couple of years ago.

Sorry I can't be more specific!

killerbeetle
Bruce Kidd

Postby killerbeetle » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:31 pm

Jwolf wrote:Moosewood Six-Minute Chocloate Cake (this wasn't an original for them, and there are various others like it out there-- including my old Betty Crocker recipe):

http://www.recipezaar.com/recipe/Six-Mi ... ake-133387

I don't use the glaze, but if you do you can make it vegan without the milk (or with rice milk)

Ingredients

Cake

* 1 1/2 cups unbleached white flour
* 1/3 cup cocoa powder
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1 cup sugar
* 1/2 cup vegetable oil
* 1 cup cold water or brewed coffee
* 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
* 2 tablespoons vinegar

Glaze

* 1/2 lb bittersweet chocolate
* 3/4 cup hot water or milk
* 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions

1. Preheat the oven to 375°F.
2. Sift the flour, cocoa, baking soda, salt and sugar into an ungreased 8 inch square or 9 inch round baking tin.
3. In a 2 cup measuring cup, measure and mix the oil, water or coffee and vanilla.
4. Pour the liquid ingredients into the baking tin and mix the batter with a fork or small whisk.
5. When the batter is smooth, add the vinegar and stir quickly. Pale swirls will occur where the vinegar and baking soda react. Stir just until the vinegar is even distributed throughout the batter.
6. Bake for 25-30 minutes. Set aside the cake to cool.
7. If you are making the glaze, reset the oven to 300°F.
8. Melt the chocolate in small ovenproof bowl or heavy skillet in the oven for about 15 minutes. Stir the hot liquid and vanilla into the chocolate until smooth.
9. Spoon the glaze over the cooled cake. Refrigerate the glazed cake for a minimum of 30 minutes before serving.

:shock: :shock: :drool: :drool: I'm soooo going to try these sometime.
2013 Plans:

Get off butt.

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:41 pm

I never cook anything. My point is: if you like to cook, fine learn how to cook vegan. If you don't like to cook, realize you don't have to in order to get the nutrition. Proper feeding of a vegan does not require alot of complications. I say this because alot of people say they think being vegan is complicated. and to be honest, most of the recipies do scare the hell out of me. I'd never spend what looks like several hours working on a cake.

so, vegan can be perfectly simple or terribly complicated. Don't be scared by the cooking lovers recipies.

killerbeetle
Bruce Kidd

Postby killerbeetle » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:03 pm

ultra spirit wrote:I never cook anything. My point is: if you like to cook, fine learn how to cook vegan. If you don't like to cook, realize you don't have to in order to get the nutrition. Proper feeding of a vegan does not require alot of complications. I say this because alot of people say they think being vegan is complicated. and to be honest, most of the recipies do scare the hell out of me. I'd never spend what looks like several hours working on a cake.

so, vegan can be perfectly simple or terribly complicated. Don't be scared by the cooking lovers recipies.

This is so true! I do LOVE cooking for hours... but on the normal days eating vegan is super fast and easy. For one thing, you can eat it all raw. yup, just wash that broccoli and eat it. or nuts, or fruit... whatever...

What do you do about grains, Ultra spirit? I have a rice cooker and I toss in a mug full of rice every couple days that I keep in my fridge. I eat a lot of oats and spelt also... Do you eat your grains raw? I'm interested to know more if you are willing to share!
2013 Plans:

Get off butt.

Agent Provocateur
Bill Crothers

Postby Agent Provocateur » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:58 pm

killerbeetle wrote:
ultra spirit wrote:I never cook anything. My point is: if you like to cook, fine learn how to cook vegan. If you don't like to cook, realize you don't have to in order to get the nutrition. Proper feeding of a vegan does not require alot of complications. I say this because alot of people say they think being vegan is complicated. and to be honest, most of the recipies do scare the hell out of me. I'd never spend what looks like several hours working on a cake.

This is so true! I do LOVE cooking for hours... but on the normal days eating vegan is super fast and easy. For one thing, you can eat it all raw. yup, just wash that broccoli and eat it. or nuts, or fruit... whatever...

What do you do about grains, Ultra spirit? I have a rice cooker and I toss in a mug full of rice every couple days that I keep in my fridge. I eat a lot of oats and spelt also... Do you eat your grains raw? I'm interested to know more if you are willing to share!

This is why I love my morning smoothies. All I do is pull stuff out of the fridge, whiz it up, and hope for the best :D It usually works out quite tasty. And believe me, 5-7 cups of raw fruit and veg is f-i-l-l-i-n-g!!

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:28 am

Agent Provocateur wrote:The vegan nanaimo bars I made were from Sarah Kramer's cookbook Vegan a Gogo. I'd share the recipe, but I don't have permission... unless you're my friend and you email me and I email you back, I guess. (Anyone on here a copyright expert??)

Oh wait, I found a VIDEO of her nanaimo bars!!! http://www.everydaydish.tv/index.php?page=recipe&recipe=159

Vegan cheesecake - mostly I use the recipes in Sinfully Vegan. But I have purchased one at my health food store from Sweets from the Earth. http://www.sweetsfromtheearth.com/product-category.html?cid=12. I've had the chocolate and the blueberry. I haven't come across the vanilla one yet, but if I do, I'll be sure to try it!!

I picked up the carrot cake last night - yummy :shifty:

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:17 pm

killerbeetle wrote:

I guess I only eat grains in bread!

bluemutt
Johnny Miles

Postby bluemutt » Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:00 pm

On a number of occasions I've heard that a vegan diet actually helps reduce any swelling you may get during workouts, long runs etc....has anyone had any experience with this?

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:56 pm

bluemutt wrote:On a number of occasions I've heard that a vegan diet actually helps reduce any swelling you may get during workouts, long runs etc....has anyone had any experience with this?

This is based on the claim that animal food diets cause a variety of different inflammation responses in your body. There's no hard evidence for this in general, but many people do find anecdotally that vegan diets help-- likely because they have eliminated some potential allergen.

killerbeetle
Bruce Kidd

Postby killerbeetle » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:44 pm

ultra spirit wrote:
killerbeetle wrote:

I guess I only eat grains in bread!

ahhh... For some reason I don't like bread anymore. I'm just about to stick a loaf of flax bread in the oven though in the hopes that I will like this one... :?
2013 Plans:

Get off butt.

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:03 pm

I don't usually eat bread for taste because what tastes good hass too much sugar or fat. I eat ww pita bread (plain) or WASA (plain), or sometimes just cheap ww bread (plain). Its just filler.

Return to “Nutrition and Weight Management”