What's for dinner?

Because you can't outrun a bad diet!
JoaniB
Tom Longboat

Re: What's for dinner?

Postby JoaniB » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:45 pm

I'm going to try the Cooking Light Lemon and Artichoke Frittata tonight.
Ottawa Race Weekend 10k (2009): 1h07m; Army Half-marathon (2009): 2h38m; St. Patrick's Day 5k (2010): 33m; Ottawa Race Weekend Half-marathon (2010): 2h28m (getting better!); St. Patrick's Day 10k (2011): 1h13m (or not); Calgary 10k (2012): 1h06m (new PB!); Canadian Derby Half-marathon (2012): 2h17m (PB!)
~~~~~~~//~~~~~~~
"And now for my next impression, Jesse Owens!" - Bart the Sheriff in Blazing Saddles
~~~~~~~//~~~~~~~
http://runjellyrun.blogspot.com

gnu
Jerome Drayton

Postby gnu » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:44 pm

Tonight I made this http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/06/skin ... asala.html and I really enjoyed it.

Cattitude
Bruce Kidd

Postby Cattitude » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:34 am

We're having this tonight. Have made it before and it's really good.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/mushroom-l ... rley-stew/

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:11 am

I got steak yesterday for March 14 :twisted: and forgot that a) Pat was running hard last night and would not eat much afterward and b) I was meeting up with a friend and wouldn't be home till after 9. So we're having the steak "a day late" tonight. Probably with some peppers and potatoes or something! Mmmmm steak.
The other night, I made this herbed pork with apples and WOW it was so good!! I seared the (2.2lb) roast at 450 for 20 minutes and cooked it another 50 at 350, but other than that I basically followed the recipe.
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

Marg
Site Admin

Postby Marg » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:15 am

QuickChick wrote:I got steak yesterday for March 14 :twisted: and forgot that a) Pat was running hard last night and would not eat much afterward and b) I was meeting up with a friend and wouldn't be home till after 9. So we're having the steak "a day late" tonight. Probably with some peppers and potatoes or something! Mmmmm steak.
The other night, I made this herbed pork with apples and WOW it was so good!! I seared the (2.2lb) roast at 450 for 20 minutes and cooked it another 50 at 350, but other than that I basically followed the recipe.

Whoa, that does look good. Did you make the maple syrup gravy for it too? :drool:
Chilly 1/2 - March 4
Montreal 1/2 - April 29
NCM 1/2 - May 27
Manitoba 1/2 - June 17
Army 1/2 - Sept

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:51 am

No, actually I didn't. I would if it was for a dinner party or something, but I can take or leave gravy, and Pat sort of shrugged and said he didn't care either... so we just had it with the apples/onions. I bet the gravy would be delicious though!
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

Avis
Jerome Drayton

Postby Avis » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:01 pm

QuickChick wrote:No, actually I didn't. I would if it was for a dinner party or something, but I can take or leave gravy, and Pat sort of shrugged and said he didn't care either... so we just had it with the apples/onions. I bet the gravy would be delicious though!

Oh, for me, the homemade gravy/sauce is the best part of a roast...mmmm!
"We are made of dreams and bones."
--The Garden Song

"By perseverance, the snail reached the ark."
--Charles H. Spurgeon

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
--Pablo Picasso

JoaniB
Tom Longboat

Postby JoaniB » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:30 pm

Tonight is sushi night! After the gym, I will go home (usually the Boyfriend picks me up :P) and order some delicious sushi.
Ottawa Race Weekend 10k (2009): 1h07m; Army Half-marathon (2009): 2h38m; St. Patrick's Day 5k (2010): 33m; Ottawa Race Weekend Half-marathon (2010): 2h28m (getting better!); St. Patrick's Day 10k (2011): 1h13m (or not); Calgary 10k (2012): 1h06m (new PB!); Canadian Derby Half-marathon (2012): 2h17m (PB!)
~~~~~~~//~~~~~~~
"And now for my next impression, Jesse Owens!" - Bart the Sheriff in Blazing Saddles
~~~~~~~//~~~~~~~

Stampie
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stampie » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:23 pm

Mmmmm

I'm enjoying leftovers from yesterday’s dinner. Pork cutlets in a balsamic reduction, Brown rice cooked in vegetable broth, peas and a side sale. Yummy the second time around too!
PB’s (official race results)
5K – 26:20; 8K – 41:28; 10K – 52:13; 15K - 1:22:43; 21.1K – 1:54:16; 30K – 2:51:34; 42.2K – 4:24:14

What is up for 2018
Feb 11th - First Half Vancouver
TBA
Planning & in my sights
Jun 9th - Puddle Jumper Classic

Run the mile you're in. Not the one behind you, and not the one in front of you - the one you are running now :) - purdy65

Avis
Jerome Drayton

Postby Avis » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:57 pm

Tonight: A mushroom omelet with steamed asparagus on the side. Sponge cake and strawberries for dessert!
"We are made of dreams and bones."
--The Garden Song

"By perseverance, the snail reached the ark."
--Charles H. Spurgeon

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
--Pablo Picasso

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:15 pm

Tonight I made BBQ'd salmon (it was pre-marinated/seasoned from the fish counter at Loblaws - maple BBQ) and sauteed (shredded) Brussels sprouts. Even people who hate Brussels sprouts will love these (sorry, I don't really measure anything):

Sautee/render pancetta (or regular bacon) in a frying pan with some olive oil (~1 Tbsp)
Add thinly sliced leeks (white part of one leek) and sautee until soft
Add chopped pecans (1/4 cup)
Cut Brussels sprout (6-8 large ones) s in half lengthwise (leaving the root intact) and slice thinly cross-wise. Discard the root end.
Sautee until tender, stirring frequently
Add salt & pepper to taste
Add 1/4 cup dried cranberries (I also chop these so that they aren't as big)
Add 1Tbsp butter and stir until melted and combined
Add the zest and juice of 1 lemon
Sautee until lemon juice is absorbed
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:08 pm

Because you included bacon, I might even like these brussels sprouts! :lol: I've always wanted to like them... they're so good for you. Bacon makes everything better.

Samantha
Donovan Bailey

Postby Samantha » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:35 pm

QuickChick wrote:Because you included bacon, I might even like these brussels sprouts! :lol: I've always wanted to like them... they're so good for you. Bacon makes everything better.

I loathe brussel sprouts and that's the only way I'll eat them. They are actually pretty good that way. :shock:

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:43 pm

Samantha wrote:
QuickChick wrote:Because you included bacon, I might even like these brussels sprouts! :lol: I've always wanted to like them... they're so good for you. Bacon makes everything better.

I loathe brussel sprouts and that's the only way I'll eat them. They are actually pretty good that way. :shock:

The real key is in the slicing/shredding of the sprouts, that way they aren't these hard little balls of cabbage. It's more like a warm cole-slaw.

The first time I made them without bacon and they were just as good (the butter helps with that). But really, it's the combo of all the flavours that sort of masks any cabbage-y taste.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

chunkymonkeymelonhed
Lynn Williams

Postby chunkymonkeymelonhed » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:58 pm

Dinner tonight was crab and corn chowder with a fresh baguette. yum yum yummy.
On the books for 2017:
50th Birthday!!
Boston Marathon- April 17th what a day- DREAM COME TRUE :dance:
Run for Water 10K- May 28th
Scotia Half - June 25th
Trail River Run half marathon- Sept. 30- CANCELLED
MEC 10K Race 10- Nov. 5

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:16 pm

I'm making Michael Smith's beef stew tonight. I have a delicious baguette as well to serve with it (it was WARM this morning when I got it from the patisserie!). It'll be good for probably another dinner as well and maybe a lunch (I should put this in the batch cooking thread also). It's sooooo yummy- totally worth the 3+ hours it takes to make. It's only a half hour or so of actual work, the rest is simmering. Still though, it's definitely a Sunday meal. It's kind of my "don't let the door hit your ass on the way out" to winter, as spring starts this week!!

Stampie
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stampie » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:53 am

QuickChick wrote:I'm making Michael Smith's beef stew tonight. I have a delicious baguette as well to serve with it (it was WARM this morning when I got it from the patisserie!). It'll be good for probably another dinner as well and maybe a lunch (I should put this in the batch cooking thread also). It's sooooo yummy- totally worth the 3+ hours it takes to make. It's only a half hour or so of actual work, the rest is simmering. Still though, it's definitely a Sunday meal. It's kind of my "don't let the door hit your ass on the way out" to winter, as spring starts this week!!

Wow that sure looks good and I just love anything that Michael Smith creates.
5K – 26:20; 8K – 41:28; 10K – 52:13; 15K - 1:22:43; 21.1K – 1:54:16; 30K – 2:51:34; 42.2K – 4:24:14

What is up for 2018
TBA
Planning & in my sights

Run the mile you're in. Not the one behind you, and not the one in front of you - the one you are running now :) - purdy65

Samantha
Donovan Bailey

Postby Samantha » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:55 pm

I made this tonight with a few changes:

http://dinnerwithjulie.com/2012/03/13/t ... n-sausage/

-used beef stock instead of chicken stock (used less stock than was called for as well)
-didn't use pasta at all since I had cooked rice I ate it with
-used sour cream instead of cream (maybe 1/8th of a cup? - just to make the sauce)
-added a couple of shakes of Mrs Dash original seasoning and a bit of nutmeg.

It was surprisingly tasty!

chunkymonkeymelonhed
Lynn Williams

Postby chunkymonkeymelonhed » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:39 pm

I've made a big pot of smoky lentil soup for tonight. The smoky flavour comes from kielbasa sausage.
It's a new recipe for me. I hope it tastes as good as it smells.
On the books for 2017:
50th Birthday!!
Scotia Half - June 25th
MEC 10K Race 10- Nov. 5

JoaniB
Tom Longboat

Postby JoaniB » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:36 am

Last night was a vegetarian stew with dumplings that will double as today's lunch. I never thought a veg stew could be delicious or filling but Terry Pratchett managed to do it! Recipe available if you like...

Tonight is my weekly allotment of sushi.
~~~~~~~//~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~//~~~~~~~

chunkymonkeymelonhed
Lynn Williams

Postby chunkymonkeymelonhed » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:44 pm

Enjoyed tonight's harvest vegetable curry- delicious! The boys weren't thrilled but I stopped worrying about them and new food/recipes a long time ago. Dh and I like to eat a variety of food so they can deal with it. I figure they'll eat if they're hungry.
Tomorrow night is citrus flank steak on the bbq. :D
On the books for 2017:
50th Birthday!!
Scotia Half - June 25th
MEC 10K Race 10- Nov. 5

Cattitude
Bruce Kidd

Postby Cattitude » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:21 pm

Last night was a vegetarian stew with dumplings that will double as today's lunch. I never thought a veg stew could be delicious or filling but Terry Pratchett managed to do it! Recipe available if you like...

I would love the recipe.

Stampie
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stampie » Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:11 am

Cattitude wrote:

I would love the recipe.

Sounds interesting.

What is up for 2018
TBA
Planning & in my sights

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:51 am

r4l wrote:I've made a big pot of smoky lentil soup for tonight. The smoky flavour comes from kielbasa sausage.
It's a new recipe for me. I hope it tastes as good as it smells.

Oooh that sounds good... I love anything with sausage. I'd love the recipe for that one if it was delicious (it sounds delicious!)

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:24 pm

Made this soup that Ironboy posted the recipe for a while back-- although I'm guessing he doesn't eat it anymore. I made some modifications mostly to the seasonings:, but most of the flavour comes from the onions and apple anyway:

Ironboy wrote:Apple and Lentil Soup

1 large onion, diced
2 apples, diced
1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp vegetable oil
2 tbsps flour (whole grain) (not cups)
4 cups chicken broth
1 cup dried orange lentils
2 tbsps parsley
salt and pepper

Soak lentils for a minutes and rince, repeat once or twice (this reduces the after effects)

Caramelize onions and apples in oil and butter, add flour
Gradually add broth, bring to a boil
Add lentils
Simmer over low heat for 30 minutes
Add parsley
Salt and pepper to taste.

My changes:
1) left out flour (doesn't need it)
2) added 1 tsp tumeric, some oregano and basil (no parsley)
3) used olive oil instead of butter
4) used veg broth instead of chicken broth
5) added roasted corn (stolen from another recipe)

it's REALLY good...
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Return to “Nutrition and Weight Management”