Because you can't outrun a bad diet!
Miss*Smiles
Lynn Williams

Pumpkin Pie

Postby Miss*Smiles » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:53 am

I am looking to make a pumpkin pie.
I've never made one before.
Nor a pie crust.
I think tenderflake might help me there ;)

Any tried & true recipes? What is the best pre-made crust to buy? Best filling recipe?
Thank you!!!!
When your legs get tired, run with your heart.

Overcome the notion that you must be regular. It robs you of your chance to be extraordinary.

Samantha
Donovan Bailey

Re: Pumpkin Pie

Postby Samantha » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:57 am

I just buy the tenderflake pie crust. It tastes good to me.

I also like the pie filling made with Eaglebrand. :shifty:

http://www.eaglebrand.com/recipes/detai ... category=7

I may need to do that this year. Because I really need to eat more baked things. :roll:

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:12 pm

I usually use the pumpkin pie recipe that comes in the label of the can of pumpkin that I buy (whichever brand it happens to be that year!). :lol:

I have a special crust recipe so if you want to make the crust let me know and I'll pm it to you.
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Miss*Smiles
Lynn Williams

Postby Miss*Smiles » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:53 pm

ultraslacker wrote:I usually use the pumpkin pie recipe that comes in the label of the can of pumpkin that I buy (whichever brand it happens to be that year!). :lol:

I have a special crust recipe so if you want to make the crust let me know and I'll pm it to you.

Is it difficult? ;) I would like that actually! Thank you!
SoftSpokenBytch wrote:I just buy the tenderflake pie crust. It tastes good to me.

I also like the pie filling made with Eaglebrand. :shifty:

http://www.eaglebrand.com/recipes/detai ... category=7

I may need to do that this year. Because I really need to eat more baked things. :roll:

Looks easy! I like easy ;)

Overcome the notion that you must be regular. It robs you of your chance to be extraordinary.

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:57 pm

Miss*Smiles wrote:
ultraslacker wrote:I usually use the pumpkin pie recipe that comes in the label of the can of pumpkin that I buy (whichever brand it happens to be that year!). :lol:

It's not really difficult per se, but it does take some time to make the crust and sometimes it can go a bit wonky so you have to follow the directions well. :) The recipe will make about 5 crusts--top and/or bottom so you could make 5 pumpkins or 3 pumpkins and an apple or 2 apples and a pumpkin, or whatever combination works, lol.

I'll try to send it to you later today... need to try to get out for my long run first... it's been delayed already today! lol

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Miss*Smiles
Lynn Williams

Postby Miss*Smiles » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:25 pm

ultraslacker wrote:
Miss*Smiles wrote:

It's not really difficult per se, but it does take some time to make the crust and sometimes it can go a bit wonky so you have to follow the directions well. :) The recipe will make about 5 crusts--top and/or bottom so you could make 5 pumpkins or 3 pumpkins and an apple or 2 apples and a pumpkin, or whatever combination works, lol.

I'll try to send it to you later today... need to try to get out for my long run first... it's been delayed already today! lol

Get that run done!!

mmm apple pie - sounds great! I will accept the pie crust making challenge :D
Thank you!!!

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:02 pm

I buy the crust but make the pumpkin filling from freshly baked sugar pumpkin (or similar squash). Canned pumpkin to me tastes rotten (although the taste does get masked in cooking-- fresh is just SO much better and you can tell).

The crust I can't seem to get right and it takes way more work. :)

The recipe I use for the filling is from Betty Crocker:

2 eggs
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1 can (15 oz) pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix)
1 can (12 oz) evaporated milk

But instead of 1 can of pumpkin I use 2 cups of cooked fresh pumpkin. Make sure you use two LARGE eggs. And I usually leave out the ginger because I hate ginger. ;)

Cooking directions:
1. Heat oven to 425°F.
2. In large bowl, beat eggs slightly with wire whisk or hand beater. Beat in 1/2 cup sugar, the cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon salt, ginger, cloves, pumpkin and milk.
3. To prevent spilling, place pastry-lined pie plate on oven rack before adding filling. Carefully pour pumpkin filling into pie plate. Bake 15 minutes.
4. Reduce oven temperature to 350°F. Bake about 45 minutes longer or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Place pie on cooling rack. Cool completely, about 2 hours.

http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/pum ... 93381e2f0d
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Avis
Jerome Drayton

Postby Avis » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:50 pm

I LOVE pumpkin pie!
It's true that home-cooked squash or pumpkin taste better than the canned (BTW, canned "pumpkin" may be any kind of yellow winter squash, so don't feel like you have to wrestle with a 5 kilo pumpkin!). And the best way to cook the squash/pumpkin is to roast it dry in the oven--enriches the flavor.
I always just use the basic can recipe, EXCEPT, instead of evaporated milk, use light (coffee or half-and-half) cream(5% milkfat). It makes a lighter, smoother pie.
"We are made of dreams and bones."
--The Garden Song

"By perseverance, the snail reached the ark."
--Charles H. Spurgeon

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
--Pablo Picasso

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:57 pm

Avis wrote:I LOVE pumpkin pie!
It's true that home-cooked squash or pumpkin taste better than the canned (BTW, canned "pumpkin" may be any kind of yellow winter squash, so don't feel like you have to wrestle with a 5 kilo pumpkin!). And the best way to cook the squash/pumpkin is to roast it dry in the oven--enriches the flavor.

That's what I do-- cut in half, bake cut side down. Comes out completely yummy.

Bigger pumpkins might not taste as good anyway. The small 2-3 pound sugar pumpkins are best; the squash I used is a buttercup squash (green on the outside, orange flesh) and is SO yummy. It was about 4-5 pounds and took about an hour to bake at 325.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:

chunkymonkeymelonhed
Lynn Williams

Postby chunkymonkeymelonhed » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:20 pm

Now I'm craving pumpkin pie.............
On the books for 2017:
50th Birthday!!
Boston Marathon- April 17th what a day- DREAM COME TRUE :dance:
Run for Water 10K- May 28th
Scotia Half - June 25th
Trail River Run half marathon- Sept. 30- CANCELLED
MEC 10K Race 10- Nov. 5

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:23 pm

mmmm pie.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Pumpkin Pie

Postby Jwolf » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:55 pm

Two in the oven...

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:33 pm

Dr. S
Abby Hoffman

Postby Dr. S » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:50 am

Ok, I'm making pumpkin pie for dessert on Saturday!!

These pictures just convinced me!
Sonia

7 marathons (PB 5:01)
31 halfs (PB 2:10)
----------------------------
The plan for 2014: 10K des glaces & Apocalypse 5K
2015: No plan at all!

erinmcd
Bill Crothers

Postby erinmcd » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:36 am

8:30 in the morning, I'm sitting in my cubicle with my mouth watering, and I cannot figure out any way to get myself some pumpkin pie. :(
Keep on rolling, just a mile to go. Keep on rolling my old buddy, you're moving much too slow.

trixiee
Lynn Williams

Postby trixiee » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:40 am

Those look absolutely perfect Jen! I too, am craving pumpkin pie! Look what you sarted Miss*Smiles! :wink:
http://connect.garmin.com/profile/trixiee14

Why fit in when you were born to stand out?
~ Dr. Suess~
Life is short. Drink the good wine first!

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Pumpkin Pie

Postby Jwolf » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:15 am

I should say that I was already coincidentally planning this before Miss*smiles posted her question yesterday, but I realize that I forgot to post what crust I used. I use Tenderflake original (made with lard) because I won't use ones with partially hydrogenated oils or a recipe that requires crisco shortening. Still- I can't bring myself to buy lard to make a crust. I've used a combination of butter and non-hydrogenated margarine but it doesnt come out well. I've used non-hydrogenated veg shortening but that is hard to find.

Id like to see holly's crust recipe or any other good ones.

Miss*Smiles
Lynn Williams

Postby Miss*Smiles » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:30 am

trixiee wrote:Those look absolutely perfect Jen! I too, am craving pumpkin pie! Look what you sarted Miss*Smiles! :wink:

sorry for sarting that ;)

I'm excited that B & I are going to try both the yummy crust and the pies!
Maybe I can convince him to bring me apple picking again... :think:

Jwolf wrote:I should say that I was already coincidentally planning this before Miss*smiles posted her question yesterday...

They look so yummy!!!!!

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:53 am

I'm late to this thread...

I make the pastry recipe on the crisco box. The trick to pastry is DO NOT OVERMIX. The less you handle pastry, the flakier it is. I make a darn good pie crust, if I do say so myself :)

The pumpkin pie recipe I use is very similar to the one samantha posted.

Magic Pumpkin Pie

1 unbaked pie shell
1 14 oz can pumpkin
1 can sweetened condensed milk
2 eggs
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp each: ginger, nutmeg, cloves. (I love ginger, so I sometimes add a wee bit more)

Preheat oven to 425. beat eggs lightly in medium bowl. add pumpkin and spices. blend in sw. cond. milk. Pour into pie shells. bake at 425 for 15 mins, reduce oven temp to 350 and bake for 30-35 mins longer until knife inserted in centre come out clean.

I use my kitchenaid mixer, and I serve with whipped cream :)

Return to “Nutrition and Weight Management”