christmas cookies!

Because you can't outrun a bad diet!
ultraslacker
Site Admin

christmas cookies!

Postby ultraslacker » Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:01 pm

let's have your favourite christmas cookie recipes! I'm planning to do a bunch of baking next week. ;)

will post mine after I eat. :)
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Re: christmas cookies!

Postby ultraslacker » Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:11 pm

my mom makes these ones every year; I haven't actually made them myself, but they are yummy!

Sugar and Spice cookies
2 ½ cups flour
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp cloves
2 tsp ginger
1 cup butter
1 ½ cups sugar
1 egg

Roll out to about ¼ inch and cut. Bake at 350 for approximately ten minutes.

eta: this didn't come with all the instructions, but like most cookies I'd start with creaming the butter, then adding the sugar and egg, then the rest. :)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:59 pm

nobody??

well I *was* going to share the ginger molasses cookie recipe that has made converts of people who don't like ginger cookies, but not if I'm the only one playing... :)

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:00 pm

ultraslacker wrote:nobody??

well I *was* going to share the ginger molasses cookie recipe that has made converts of people who don't like ginger cookies, but not if I'm the only one playing... :)

I'll post some later this week - I didn't have a chance to type them up this weekend.

Please post the ginger cookie recipe, I love ginger cookies!

RA.
Kevin Sullivan

Postby RA. » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:37 am

I don't bake any cookies. My mom does. I can try to steal her recipe for my fave date filled cookies.
Life is short. Stop whining!!- Jwolf

Cattitude
Bruce Kidd

Postby Cattitude » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:00 pm

Dream Bars

Ingredients:
Crust:
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
1 cup flour
Filling:
2 eggs
1 cup brown sugar, packed
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 cups coconut
1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
Preparation:
Combine crust ingredients; press into a 13x9x2-inch baking pan. Bake for 10 minutes at 350°.
Meanwhile, make filling. Mix together the eggs, 1 cup brown sugar, vanilla, 2 tablespoons flour, and baking powder. Stir in coconut and nuts. Spread onto the crust and bake for 20 minutes longer.

Samantha
Donovan Bailey

Postby Samantha » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:02 pm

eme wrote:

me too!!!! Pleeeeeaaaaaaaassssseeeee! :pray:

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:15 pm

Samantha wrote:
eme wrote:

here you go!

I've had this recipe since I was a kid... don't even remember where I got it (I think it came from an old cookbook). It is the BEST ginger cookie recipe EVER. The cookies are soft, not snaps.

2C flour
1 T ginger
2 t baking soda
1 t cinnamon
1/2 t salt
3/4 C shortening
1 C sugar
1 egg
1/4 C molasses

make little balls and roll them in sugar, then press down with a fork. Cook at 350C for 12-15 minutes.

YUMMY

(best served with eggnog ;)

gnu
Jerome Drayton

Postby gnu » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:49 am

Mmmm...Christmas cookies. I am at work at the moment, but I have a recipe for these easy, tasty "slice and bake" style cookies at home that I will have to share! My mom also makes thumbprint cookies a Christmas favourite. I love shortbread but have yet to have a batch turn out as good as my nana's :roll: Oh and Gingerbread cookies!

Is it me, or is it hungry in here?

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:56 pm

I have recently discovered how delicious empire cookies are, so I'll be making some of these this Christmas.
Here's the recipe I'll probably use.

I'm also doing gingerbread cookies again, for gifts and with my class as well. Here's my recipe:
1/2 cup butter
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup molasses
1 egg
2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp cloves
1/4 tsp nutmeg

Beat the butter and sugar till light and fluffy. Gradually add the rest. Divide into 4 balls, wrap in saran, put in the fridge at least 3 hours. Roll, cut etc. Bake 8-10 minutes at 350. Decorate with Royal Icing, sprinkles, etc. :)
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:24 pm

I usually only make shortbread. Since I haven't yet made my first batch since last Christmas, I don't have the recipe committed to memory yet.

Thanks for the ginger cookie recipe. I love those. Since I'm hosting Christmas at my place this year, I will be *expected* to bake. Honestly, I could live without holiday baking (simply because it's a lot of work and I'd rather not eat all that stuff).
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Samantha
Donovan Bailey

Postby Samantha » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:30 pm

these aren't cookies but I know people love Snickerdoodles so I thought this was appropriate

http://annies-eats.com/2010/11/12/snick ... -cupcakes/

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:47 pm

La wrote:I usually only make shortbread. Since I haven't yet made my first batch since last Christmas, I don't have the recipe committed to memory yet.

Thanks for the ginger cookie recipe. I love those. Since I'm hosting Christmas at my place this year, I will be *expected* to bake. Honestly, I could live without holiday baking (simply because it's a lot of work and I'd rather not eat all that stuff).

I always put it immediately into gift boxes or separate freezer boxes. If I feel like they're gifts, or "spoken for", I'm less likely to eat it.
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

Avis
Jerome Drayton

Postby Avis » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:04 pm

Here is another ginger cookie that everyone likes--it's a rolled cookie to cut into festive shapes and decorate:

LIGHT GINGER COOKIES

1 cup powdered sugar
1 cup butter, room temp.
1TBS cider vinegar or lemon juice
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp. ground ginger
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt

Heat oven to 400 degrees. Mix powdered sugar, butter and vinegar/lemon juice. Stir in remaining ingredients. (If dough seems too dry, add a bit of milk, 1 tsp. at a time.) Roll dough, 1/3 at at a time, on floured surface, 1/8 inch thick. Cut into desired shapes; place on parchment-covered, ungreased cookie sheets. Bake for 6-8 minutes, until lightly brown around edges. Cool slightly before removing from cookie sheet. (I just slide the whole sheet of parchment onto the table.) Decorate as desired. Makes about 5 dozen, depending on size.

Decorating hints: Before baking, brush cookies lightly with beaten egg white and sprinkle with colored sugar. After baking, make a thin glaze of powdered sugar and milk, spread on cookies, then sprinkle on sugar. If you have kids who like to "help" decorate, I've found the CakeMate "Scribblers" work well for little (or big) hands. They come in packs of 4 colors, and the tubes and nozzles are small enough to be easily sqeezed. Better yet--not too much icing comes out at once, therefore keeping the cookie-to-icing ratio within reason. :wink:
"We are made of dreams and bones."
--The Garden Song

"By perseverance, the snail reached the ark."
--Charles H. Spurgeon

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
--Pablo Picasso

gnu
Jerome Drayton

Postby gnu » Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:03 pm

Christmas Tree Cookies

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 1/2 tsps baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp almond extract
1 egg
green sugar crystals
confetti decors

About 3 1/2 hours before serving or up to 1 week ahead:
Measure first 7 incredients into large bowl. With mixer at low speed, beat until blended (dough may be crumbly). Knead dough until mixture holds together. Reserve 1/3 cup of dough; wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate. With hands, roll remaining dough into 3 6-inch long rolls.

Place green sugar crystals onto waxed paper; roll each roll in sugar crystals to coat well. Form each roll into a triangle-shaped log in plastic wrap and refrigerate 2 hours or until dough is firm enough to slice (can be refrigerated up to 1 week before baking).

To bake:
Preheat oven to 350F. Slice one log crosswise into 1/4-inch thick triangles. Place slices, about 1 inch apart, on ungreased cookie sheet. For each cookie, shape 1/4 tsp of the reserved dough to resemble tree trunk; attach to bottom side of slice. Sprinkle each cookie with confetti decors. Bake 10-12 minutes until lightly browned. Remove cookies to wire racks to cool.
Makes about 6 dozen cookies.

My own notes: I think I make the logs into triangles before I put the sugar on them. The tree trunks don't like to stick to the sugar, so make sure you mush them on well, or just leave them off (most people get the idea that green triangles are trees).

Samantha
Donovan Bailey

Postby Samantha » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:29 pm

ultraslacker wrote:
Samantha wrote:
eme wrote:

here you go!

I've had this recipe since I was a kid... don't even remember where I got it (I think it came from an old cookbook). It is the BEST ginger cookie recipe EVER. The cookies are soft, not snaps.

2C flour
1 T ginger
2 t baking soda
1 t cinnamon
1/2 t salt
3/4 C shortening
1 C sugar
1 egg
1/4 C molasses

make little balls and roll them in sugar, then press down with a fork. Cook at 350C for 12-15 minutes.

YUMMY

(best served with eggnog ;)

I'm assuming the capital T is tablespoon and the lower case t is teaspoon?

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:29 pm

Samantha wrote:I'm assuming the capital T is tablespoon and the lower case t is teaspoon?

yep, that's standard.

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:21 pm

I'll have to dig out my recipes. I have a fabulous soft ginger cookie recipe, shortbread and yummy sugar cookies. Plus, PB fudge and that roll that is chocolate with the coloured marshmallows and candied fruit and rolled in coconut and sliced.

I'm torn...part of me wants cookies, and the other part knows I'll just get nauseous if I eat any. :roll:

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:22 pm

post the pb fudge recipe!!!

(or don't, it'll be the death of me!! :)

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:53 pm

PB fudge

1/4C butter or margarine
1/2 c PB (I use half natural and half the bad stuff, more peanutty that way, but all natural just doesn't work)
1c butterscotch chips
2 c mini marshmallows (I use the coloured ones)

Melt PB and butter over low heat in a heavy saucepan
stir in butterscotch chips until melted
remove from heat and *cool until you can hold your hand on the bottom*
add marshmallows, stir until coated
turn into a 9"x9" pan lined with waxed paper, refrigerate.
freezes well (I always freeze, and eat frozen), doubles into a 9"x13" pan (I always double it)

Shortbread

1 pound butter
1 cup icing sugar
1/2 cup cornstarch
3 cups flour
I have no directions for these, other than to put in the fridge before shaping, and 300 degrees for 12-15 minutes. I cream the butter, then add the dry a bit at a time and mix mix mix. You can cut them into fingers, or use a cookie press.

Ginger Cookies (my Gran's recipe)
3/4 cup butter
1 egg
1/4 cup golden syrup (you can use molasses, the golden syrup makes for a lighter cookie)
2 1/4 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking soda
1 TBSP ginger (ground)
1/4 c sugar
while sugar for rolling

Cream butter and sugar. Add beaten egg and golden syrup and beat well. Sift flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, salt and add to first mixture and mix well. Chill in fridge. Roll into small balls and roll in white sugar. Put on greased cookie sheet and press flat with fork. Bake at 300.

The recipe doesn't say how long to bake, but they should be spread out and golden on the edges. I think 10-15 mins. These are the best ginger cookies ever, soft and chewy.

I will do my sugar cookie recipe later if anyone is interested :) It makes a HUGE batch, so lots of rolling and cutting. I use sugar sprinkles pre-baking instead of icing them. I probably won't do sugar cookies this year, I will wait until I can have helpers for the cutting/decorating :)

getfit
Jerome Drayton

Postby getfit » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:28 pm

FishPants wrote:PB fudge

1/4C butter or margarine
1/2 c PB (I use half natural and half the bad stuff, more peanutty that way, but all natural just doesn't work)
1c butterscotch chips
2 c mini marshmallows (I use the coloured ones)

Melt PB and butter over low heat in a heavy saucepan
stir in butterscotch chips until melted
remove from heat and *cool until you can hold your hand on the bottom*
add marshmallows, stir until coated
turn into a 9"x9" pan lined with waxed paper, refrigerate.
freezes well (I always freeze, and eat frozen), doubles into a 9"x13" pan (I always double it)

We call this Butterscotch Confetti. It was my favourite Christmas square recipe as a kid and now it's my daughters' favourite. So easy and so delicious. I used to always make a batch to share with my co-workers, but now we have a no nuts policy :(
"I'm not sufficiently organized or ambitious to do all the things you're supposed to do if you're serious. The more time you spend fiddlediddling with this and that, the less time there is to run." ED WHITLOCK

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:13 pm

getfit wrote:
FishPants wrote:PB fudge

(recipe)

We call this Butterscotch Confetti. It was my favourite Christmas square recipe as a kid and now it's my daughters' favourite. So easy and so delicious. I used to always make a batch to share with my co-workers, but now we have a no nuts policy :(

It's my husband's favourite, I got the recipe from my MIL. I make it for him every year...but I must admit, I am addicted to it frozen.

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:10 pm

I just made a batch of ginger cookies. It has gotten to the point where I get nauseous no matter what I eat, so I may as well treat myself!

Samantha
Donovan Bailey

Postby Samantha » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:51 pm

What else are people baking? I just got a mixer! I need inspiration. :lol:

NewFinnLoper
Jerome Drayton

Postby NewFinnLoper » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:15 pm

These are my three favourites:

Lemon Bars
3/4 cup butter
1 1/2 cups flour
1/3 cup powdered sugar
4 eggs
2 cups sugar
4 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
dash salt
6 tablespoons lemon juice
Cream together butter, 1 1/2 cup flour, and powdered sugar. Pat in a 13x9x2 inch baking pan. Bake 18 minutes at 350 F or 325 F if using a glass pan. Beat together the rest of the ingredients and pour over crust. Bake an additional 25 minutes. Sprinkle with powdered sugar.

Whipped Shortbread
1 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
In a large bowl, combine butter, flour, and confectioners' sugar. With an electric mixer, beat for 10 minutes, until light and fluffy. Spoon onto cookie sheets, spacing cookies 2 inches apart. (If desired place a piece of maraschino cherry onto the middle of each cookie, alternating between red and green.)
Bake for 15 to 17 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the bottoms of the cookies are lightly browned. Remove from oven, and let cool on cookie sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer cookies on to wire rack to cool

Thimble Cookies
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 egg yolk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup flour
1 egg white
3/4 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup jam or jelly
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Cream butter, add sugar and beat until fluffy. Add egg yolk, and beat well. Stir in vanilla.
Add flour and stir until combined.
Roll mixture into balls the size of a walnut. Roll balls in unbeaten egg white, then in chopped walnuts.
Make a dint in the top of each cookie and place on a greased cookie sheet, and bake 5 minutes.
Remove and redint the tops of the cookies, then continue baking until done - another 5-10 minutes. They should be slightly brown.
Fill the dints with a teaspoon of jam or jelly while they are hot, and remove to a rack or plate to cool.
22 halfs (PR 1:42:02) :)
5 full (PR 3:48:21)
...and a smattering of adventure and trail races thrown in for good measure!
--------------------------
All running is on hold until further notice .... :0(

Return to “Nutrition and Weight Management”