Alternatives to Milk?

Because you can't outrun a bad diet!
pts
Lynn Williams

Alternatives to Milk?

Postby pts » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:23 pm

I am trying to cut back on my family's milk consumption. I don't like soy milk, and the family doesn't like rice milk, any suggestions?

We are trying almond milk this week.
Lady of the Order of the Velour Track Suit

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:34 pm

I am trying to cut back on my family's milk consumption. I don't like soy milk, and the family doesn't like rice milk, any suggestions?

We are trying almond milk this week.

Soy milk for the family and rice milk for you.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Alternatives to Milk?

Postby Jwolf » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:41 pm

Just a warning about rice milk- it has almost no protein so it's more of a substitute for juice than milk.

You might want to try different varieties of soy because they can have very different appeals. I like Silk but President's Choice is good too.

But in general I agree with Mike- not everyone has to drink the same thing. :)
Last edited by Jwolf on Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

mas_runner
Bill Crothers

Re: Alternatives to Milk?

Postby mas_runner » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:41 pm

Silk is pretty good.
PBs
5th Sep 2015 - Run Ottawa free 5km - 21:05
21st Jun 2015 - UR 4 Men's Cancers 10km - 45:45
16th Jun 2013 - UR 4 Men's Cancers 15km - 1:11:44
16th Apr 2016 - MEC 10 miler - 1:20:21
12th Apr 2015 - EY R4R Half Marathon - 1:41:15
26th May 2013 - Ottawa Marathon - 3:43:51

2017 races - coming up
7th May - Defi Entreprise 10km
28th May - Ottawa Half Marathon
17th Sep - Army Run Half Marathon

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:48 pm

I am more against soy for the farming practices (and the extra estrogen). So, no soy for the entire family. I agree about rice milk and nutrition, that is one of the reasons I am not pushing it. Admittedly though, we don't use milk for nutrition really (much to my mother's dismay!), G only has it in cereal and the odd chocolate milk for a treat. We have it in coffee and the odd glass of chocolate milk, and in baking/ice cream making.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Alternatives to Milk?

Postby Jwolf » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:59 pm

If you don't drink much of it I don't think you really need to worry about the hormonal issues. Most soy milk is made from organic, non-GMO anyway.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:

holymoly
Bill Crothers

Postby holymoly » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:00 pm

In a Florida Walmart last week I discovered cartons of coconut milk by Silk. Yum! (But loaded with saturated fat.)
• Marathons: Berlin 2010 & NYC Marathon 2010 & Toronto 2004 • 30Ks: ATB (Hamilton) 2007 & 2016 & 2017 • Half Marathons: Chilly Half (Burlington) 2007 & More (NYC) 2005 & Scotiabank Waterfront (Toronto) 2004 • 8K: Robbie Burns 2006 • 5Ks: ATB 5k 2009 & 2008 & 2006 & 2005, Beaches Spring Fling (Toronto) 2004 • Craziness: Santa Speedo Run (Toronto) 2006 •

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:16 pm

Goat milk?
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

Cattitude
Bruce Kidd

Postby Cattitude » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:21 pm

I like almond, coconut or hemp.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Alternatives to Milk?

Postby Jwolf » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:22 pm

If you're not "using milk for nutrition" I guess it also depends on what your objection to cow's milk is. Canadian milk doesn't have growth hormone but you can also buy organic milk if you're worried about large-scale farming. If you don't want animal products at all, then those recommendations (as well as goat's milk) wouldn't be relevant.

deerdree
Kevin Sullivan

Postby deerdree » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:28 pm

another vote for almond milk!

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:04 pm

Jwolf wrote:If you're not "using milk for nutrition" I guess it also depends on what your objection to cow's milk is. Canadian milk doesn't have growth hormone but you can also buy organic milk if you're worried about large-scale farming. If you don't want animal products at all, then those recommendations (as well as goat's milk) wouldn't be relevant.

It actually came out of thinking while I was breastfeeding Marianne, it just seems odd to be drinking the milk (and eating the related products- cheese, yogurt etc) of another animal. We are not yet ready to cut out cheese etc. but will cut out (slowly, and probably not entirely) milk. We do buy organic, although I think that people are sometimes 'fooled' by organic (thinking it is small-scale, more wholesome etc, and it is not always). That is the problem, I can't find a substitute I like (in terms of farming practices and nutrition).

Hemp milk, eh? I should look for that (locally it may be hard since I live in a small town). How does it stack up nutritionally?

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:13 pm

pts wrote:
Jwolf wrote:If you're not "using milk for nutrition" I guess it also depends on what your objection to cow's milk is. Canadian milk doesn't have growth hormone but you can also buy organic milk if you're worried about large-scale farming. If you don't want animal products at all, then those recommendations (as well as goat's milk) wouldn't be relevant.

It actually came out of thinking while I was breastfeeding Marianne, it just seems odd to be drinking the milk (and eating the related products- cheese, yogurt etc) of another animal. We are not yet ready to cut out cheese etc. but will cut out (slowly, and probably not entirely) milk. We do buy organic, although I think that people are sometimes 'fooled' by organic (thinking it is small-scale, more wholesome etc, and it is not always). That is the problem, I can't find a substitute I like (in terms of farming practices and nutrition).

Hemp milk, eh? I should look for that (locally it may be hard since I live in a small town). How does it stack up nutritionally?

Hemp Bliss (made by Manitoba Harvest - I like the chocolate or vanilla):

http://manitobaharvest.com/product/91/Chocolate-Hemp-Bliss-Certified-Organic-Hemp-Beverage-946ml.html

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:56 pm

Don't know about farming practices, but, sesame milk is incredibly easy to make. First, I buy huge bags of seed from an internet supplier (reasonable cost). Soak the seeds in water for a few hours in a blender pitcher. Add additional water, and liquify. Strain thru a white sack type dish towel, pour into jar and add maple syrup to sweeten. Use the seeds for other stuff.

(check internet for better directions) Tons of calcium.
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

Half-Mary
Jerome Drayton

Postby Half-Mary » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:48 pm

So Delicious makes a coconut milk that is really good. I prefer that in my coffee over almond milk. It is high in saturated fats, but when I looked into that some more, I kept finding articles and research that said that because it's plant based, it's not too bad, so long as your diet isn't already really high in saturated fats. So Delicious also makes "ice cream" with the coconut milk and they taste awesome!

Avis
Jerome Drayton

Postby Avis » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:42 am

Back to soy milk: In Québec we can buy a brand of soy milk that is made here under the brand "Natura". It is 100% certified organic. I don't usually like soy milk, but the chocolate flavor is terrific!
"We are made of dreams and bones."
--The Garden Song

"By perseverance, the snail reached the ark."
--Charles H. Spurgeon

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
--Pablo Picasso

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:51 am

I just asked my local health food store if they would stock hemp milk and they said they would give it a shot. So, that is next on the list to try. Coconut milk sounds yummy too, but I don't need the calories right now!

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:00 pm

If you are looking for a good non-dairy/non-soy 'cheese' check out Daiya.

Their mozza is super yummy on pizza/veggie nachos and the pepperjack is really good melted on some Triscuts with a bit of salsa. It melts, but doesn't brown like regular cheese, but tastes really good (the best non-dairy cheese that I have tried). A bonus is that it come pre-shredded.

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:16 pm

pts wrote:It actually came out of thinking while I was breastfeeding Marianne, it just seems odd to be drinking the milk (and eating the related products- cheese, yogurt etc) of another animal.

Since you're still breast feeding, why don't you just supply all the milk for everyone? ;)

[I honestly expected Turd, DT or drghfx to make that comment]
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:30 pm

All food is weird when you think about it too much.

Drinking milk from another animal is weird. But I know you're also a locavore - is almond milk a better solution? Or sesame milk?

No food is perfect - everything has tradeoffs. You do your best but no choice is without downsides. IMO feeding your kids local cow milk has fewer downsides than just about any other choice.

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:35 pm

pts wrote:
It actually came out of thinking while I was breastfeeding Marianne, it just seems odd to be drinking the milk (and eating the related products- cheese, yogurt etc) of another animal.

Since you're still breast feeding, why don't you just supply all the milk for everyone? ;)

A similar remark to my dw (which may have involved a barnyard reference) led to me sleeping in the yard, and I've learned a lesson.

pts
Lynn Williams

Re:

Postby pts » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:02 pm

turd ferguson wrote:
pts wrote:
It actually came out of thinking while I was breastfeeding Marianne, it just seems odd to be drinking the milk (and eating the related products- cheese, yogurt etc) of another animal.

A similar remark to my dw (which may have involved a barnyard reference) led to me sleeping in the yard, and I've learned a lesson.

I would say "wise man to stay quiet" but that may be being too generous (would wise-@ass be a better term?). :lol:

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Alternatives to Milk?

Postby Jwolf » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:05 pm

You could preserve it by making cheese!

[jwolf, former nursing-mom, runs for cover.... ;) ]

pts
Lynn Williams

Re:

Postby pts » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:06 pm

turd ferguson wrote:All food is weird when you think about it too much.

Drinking milk from another animal is weird. But I know you're also a locavore - is almond milk a better solution? Or sesame milk?

No food is perfect - everything has tradeoffs. You do your best but no choice is without downsides. IMO feeding your kids local cow milk has fewer downsides than just about any other choice.

I know, that is what I am struggling with (the non-local and odd or local but animal milk). A lot of my friends drink 'illegal' non-pasturized stuff and I could get that (very popular here in Mennonite-country) but I don't think that is the answer either. Hmmm, very tough decision. Harmony organic milk (which is what we drink now) is from Ontario (and fairly local) and comes in re-usable glass bottles too. But, humans are the only species that drinks other species' milk, and the only species that has adults drinking milk. :?

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:08 pm

Jwolf wrote:You could preserve it by making cheese!

[jwolf, former nursing-mom, runs for cover.... ;) ]

LOL. :lol:

I actually tried mixing it with cocoa powder to make chocolate milk for Gavin when he was sick a few months ago (he doesn't like it otherwise, although he still has a healthy boob obsession :lol: ). It was a no-go though, he thought it was gross.

Return to “Nutrition and Weight Management”