Signs of Food Sensitivity?

Because you can't outrun a bad diet!
planet_runner

Postby planet_runner » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:26 am

Apologies for the not some stomach friendly content to follow, but I'm looking to tap into the collective wisdom of the gurus on this forum to help me better understand and articulate a food issue I've had twice of the past week and a bit.

Some quick running background, I've been training for my first half-marathon since September and I've been making sure to eat relatively healthy and balanced meals. There isn't (and historically hasn't) been much fast food consumption in my diet, if it's of any significance.

Last week, I went out for two beers with some classmates. After 2 pints, I grabbed a slice of pizza (2 vegetarian) from a restaurant on the corner of my street. Fast forward two hours later and I found myself vomiting up the pizza. Thankfully it stopped relatively soon, and aside from having a sore stomach the next day, I was okay. Then, last night, I went out with some friends and had a few drinks before heading out to make fools of ourselves dancing at a bar. Again, I was relatively sober. On the way home, the munchies hit and I grabbed two slices of pizza from the same place once again. And... fast forward two hours and I was making friends with the toilet bowl again. Of note is that the signs of food poising were absent; my girlfriend had pizza and did not experience any problems herself (despite having gluten sensitivities)

I'm curious if anyone is able to lend some insight to explain what might be happening. Could it be: (a) new sensitivity to alcohol, as this was the first time I've gone for drinks in well over 2-3 months; (b) new sensitivity to pizza having led a health diet?; (c) something else? And what I'm also really curious about is whether there is any correlation with my half-marathon training.

Thanks in advance! :)

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Re: Signs of Food Sensitivity?

Postby Jo-Jo » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:47 am

I'm sorry that I don't have any brilliant insight to offer...BUT...

....could you define "relatively sober" :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

Kelodie
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Kelodie » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:23 am

I have many food sensitivities and intolerances and none of my symptoms are vomiting. I am thinking food poisoning, but I'm surprised you would have felt like eating the same pizza again! When I had food poisoning, I haven't been able to eat that particular food for a while after.
"Keep Going. Never Give Up" - Spencer
"Have a little faith in yourself and watch the magic begin" - Ironboy

Plans for 2014:
Run for Women 5K, May 11
Ottawa Race Weekend 10K, May 24

planet_runner

Postby planet_runner » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:28 am

Jo-Jo wrote: ....could you define "relatively sober" :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:

Sober enough so that me, as a liberal arts kid who lives in left field most of the time, could still do some basic algebra (not willingly, of course)

re: eating the food again, I think it had to do with wanting something salty afterwards. It seems weird that I would react to said pizza and not my girlfriend, especially considering we had a slice from the same pizza. That's why I've questioned it being food poisoning (granted, there could be handling issues I may have missed).

Maybe I should ask another question: has anyone had an food consumption difficulties after ramping up their running distances?

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:31 am

Was there any pain?

I only ask, I suffered with gall bladder issues previously and my symptoms included nausea and vomiting a few hours (or in the middle of the night) after eating. I basically had to go off meat and dairy until things got figured out (and got my gall bladder removed).

I am lactose intolerant but dairy has never made me throw up.

I would definitely go see your doctor - you should not be throwing up after eating (especially if no on else had ill effects from the same food).

planet_runner

Postby planet_runner » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:37 am

eme wrote:Was there any pain?

I only ask, I suffered with gall bladder issues previously and my symptoms included nausea and vomiting a few hours (or in the middle of the night) after eating. I basically had to go off meat and dairy until things got figured out (and got my gall bladder removed).

I would definitely go see your doctor - you should not be throwing up after eating (especially if no on else had ill effects from the same food).

Pain was temporary, but it was comparable to having really cold water after a long run and having your stomach scold you for it.

Good call on seeing my GP about this. I think it'd be wise at this point.

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:21 am

planet_runner wrote:
eme wrote:Was there any pain?

Pain was temporary, but it was comparable to having really cold water after a long run and having your stomach scold you for it.

Good call on seeing my GP about this. I think it'd be wise at this point.

My pain progressively got worse as time went on. I ended up in the emergency room - I had such bad pain and I couldn't stop throwing up.

I wasn't diagnosed until I had an abdominal ultrasound. I have also been diagnosed with acid reflux - so that is what all of my doctors were focusing on and everyone missed the gall bladder. My MIL who is a nurse suggested that they check my gall bladder and to all my doctors surprise, it was a gall stone. When I had my gall bladder removed, I had a stone impacted and my gall bladder was chronically inflamed.

I suffered for almost 4 years before they found the stone and removed my gall bladder. I am feeling fantastic (and eating whatever I want) 2.5 months post op. I am in to my second month back to full triathlon training as well and it feels fantastic to train without worrying about being sick!

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:12 pm

I can't see it having anything to do with your training.
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:19 pm

ultraslacker wrote:I can't see it having anything to do with your training.

Nope, but it can seriously derail your training if you are getting sick all of the time!

planet_runner

Postby planet_runner » Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:09 pm

eme wrote:

Nope, but it can seriously derail your training if you are getting sick all of the time!

Bang on!

(I'm also relatively new to running, so I feel asking all the dumb questions I can will be of long-term value when the weird and unexpected happens!)

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:49 pm

planet_runner wrote:
eme wrote:

Bang on!

(I'm also relatively new to running, so I feel asking all the dumb questions I can will be of long-term value when the weird and unexpected happens!)

I lost pretty much a year of training, since my emergency room visit and the resulting recovery (pulled abdominal muscles from throwing up and going on heavy duty meds) happened not too long before my "A" race of the year. Not to mention the other interruptions to my training other times I got sick.

hezzy
Tom Longboat

Postby hezzy » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:56 pm

Was the pizza particularly greasy? If you haven't had fast food in a while it could have just been a reaction to that. I know that if I am "good" for a few months and then have something deep fried or greasy it makes me feel ill. I've never vomited though.
2015 - the year of the 100 miler

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:19 pm

planet_runner wrote:
Jo-Jo wrote: ....could you define "relatively sober" :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:

Sober enough so that me, as a liberal arts kid who lives in left field most of the time, could still do some basic algebra (not willingly, of course)

Great answer!!!!! :D :D

And yes...I think a visit to your GP is a good idea!

btw...welcome to RM :D
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

Return to “Nutrition and Weight Management”