Gluten Free "treats"

Because you can't outrun a bad diet!
MINITEE
Lynn Williams

Gluten Free "treats"

Postby MINITEE » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:53 am

So, my coach is hosting our Tri-club party at her place next Friday and I would love to bake a treat specifically for her.

She has to eat gluten free, and I know that there will probably not be a great deal of things that people bring that she will be able to eat, so I want to make a nice treat just for her.

Any ideas? Figured I would come here before searching my normal recipe sites..

TIA! :mrgreen:
KEEP GOING, NEVER GIVE UP: Spencer D

Hey, be careful around me, apparently I'm a chronically offended kind of person... ;)

La
Kevin Sullivan

Re: Gluten Free "treats"

Postby La » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:32 am

Merangues! :drool:

I especially like the ones my grandmother used to make with bits of dried fruit and nuts in them.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:51 am

I've made gluten-free rice krispy squares. Easy, no problem to make in small portions, and indistinguishable from the normal stuff.

Avis
Jerome Drayton

Postby Avis » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:21 pm

La wrote:Merangues! :drool:

I especially like the ones my grandmother used to make with bits of dried fruit and nuts in them.

+1 Meringues area also tasty with coconut and chocolate chips mixed in. (You can put a cherry on top for fun.)
"We are made of dreams and bones."
--The Garden Song

"By perseverance, the snail reached the ark."
--Charles H. Spurgeon

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
--Pablo Picasso

MINITEE
Lynn Williams

Postby MINITEE » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:26 pm

Avis wrote:
La wrote:Merangues! :drool:

+1 Meringues area also tasty with coconut and chocolate chips mixed in. (You can put a cherry on top for fun.)

Hmm, chocolate chip and dried cherry meringues.... sounds intriguing. And it's something I can make a batch of and put in a nice tin/container to leave with her...

Hey, be careful around me, apparently I'm a chronically offended kind of person... ;)

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:27 pm

Ask Farmgirl for her GF ginger snap recipe! They are yumm-o!
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

farmgirlinthecity
Bill Crothers

Postby farmgirlinthecity » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:16 pm

Meringes! Yes!

Rice Krispies, you have to buy the GF version because the Kellogg's version has barley malt in it so it is out.

Dr. S Sugar Cream Fudge would be a great one!

Peanut Butter Cookies (CinC says these are like crack)
1 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup white sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
jam

Mix everything but the jam, roll into balls, make a thumbprint in them and fill with a small amount of jam. Bake at 350F for 10-12 minutes. Let cool before removing from the cookie sheet.

Ginger Snaps (this is a regular recipe that I just swap in GF flour to, let me know if you want that recipe)
3/4 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1/4 cup molasses
2 cups flour
2tsp baking soda
1/2 salt
1 tsp ginger
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp cloves
(I'm usually pretty generous with the spice measurements)
Roll into balls, and into sugar. Cook 10-12 minutes at 350F

I have a gf maracoon recipe too if you are interested! Just let me know!
Jenn

A Fit Mom is a Powerful Mom

“When nothing seems to help, I go look at a stonecutter hammering away at his rock perhaps a hundred times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the hundred and first blow - it will split in two, and I know it was not that blow that did it, but all that had gone before.” Jacob Riis

PaleSnail
Tom Longboat

Postby PaleSnail » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:28 pm

If she has celiac, you may not be able to bake for her (depending on how sensitive she is) due to the postential cross contamination from your kitchen (utensils, surfaces, etc.). The thought is fantastic, but just a heads-up that she may not be able to eat it. Worse yet, she eats it and ends up getting unintentionally "glutened". It is probably best to discuss this with her first (assuming you haven't already) to make sure she is cool with it.

For someone with celiac, discussing your intentions (so that no one is caught in an uncomfortable sittuation) takes your thoughtfulness to the next level. Bringing the labels of any packages (so that she can see for herself) that you use in the baking process would be thoughtful as well.

You are a good friend. I'm sure she'll enjoy any treat you come up with.

MINITEE
Lynn Williams

Postby MINITEE » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:02 pm

Thanks! Not celiac (luckily!) Just gluten intolerant...

I know she misses my blueberry muffins, so I may search for a GF Blueberry muffin recipe.

farmgirlinthecity
Bill Crothers

Postby farmgirlinthecity » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:43 pm

RunGirlRun's muffin recipe made with GF flour works the best out of any muffin recipe I've used! Let me know if you don't have it already!
Jenn

A Fit Mom is a Powerful Mom

“When nothing seems to help, I go look at a stonecutter hammering away at his rock perhaps a hundred times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the hundred and first blow - it will split in two, and I know it was not that blow that did it, but all that had gone before.” Jacob Riis

MINITEE
Lynn Williams

Postby MINITEE » Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:26 pm

farmgirlinthecity wrote:RunGirlRun's muffin recipe made with GF flour works the best out of any muffin recipe I've used! Let me know if you don't have it already!

I do, and it's the exact muffin recipe that she loves.... I add cinnamon to mine. :shhh:

getfit
Jerome Drayton

Postby getfit » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:44 pm

I think this is a super thoughtful gesture Minitee !! My daughter is Celiac and although I cook everything for her 'gluten free', I cook regular stuff in our kitchen too. I figure a cycle through the dishwasher will take care of the cross-contamination issue and we try to keep her food items separate. I still bake a lot of my regular recipes, but just substitute GF flour. I like Bob Mills All Purpose GF flour the best. I've had the most success with banana muffins, probably because the mashed banana takes away the different taste of the flour. I will look up a couple of recipes for you and post them later.
"I'm not sufficiently organized or ambitious to do all the things you're supposed to do if you're serious. The more time you spend fiddlediddling with this and that, the less time there is to run." ED WHITLOCK

getfit
Jerome Drayton

Postby getfit » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:46 pm

Just noticed Samantha's Fudge recipe under Christmas baking is gluten free :D I've made this recipe before and it is really yummy !!
"I'm not sufficiently organized or ambitious to do all the things you're supposed to do if you're serious. The more time you spend fiddlediddling with this and that, the less time there is to run." ED WHITLOCK

Size5
Lynn Williams

Postby Size5 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:38 am

http://annies-eats.net/2011/09/30/salted-popcorn-caramel-macarons/

In search of another cookie I saw this and thought of you mini t and the othe gf friends out there :)
Vancouver 2012 Done!
Considering CIM 2012

Return to “Nutrition and Weight Management”