Protein pancakes!

Because you can't outrun a bad diet!
MINITEE
Lynn Williams

Protein pancakes!

Postby MINITEE » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:17 pm

YUMMMY!

I was raving about these on FB today and was asked to post the recipe...

1 cup egg whites
1/2 cup of oats (I grind a bunch of quick cook oatmeal to a flour consistency in my grinder every couple of weeks)
1/4 cup of cottage cheese
1 tablespoon of ground flax
Cinnamon/Vanilla extract (if that's your thing).

Mix everything together to the consistency YOU like. I use my magic bullet, and am blending the cottage less and less each time. At first I didn't think I would like the cottage cheese-bits, but really I don't notice them. Cook in a skillet or frying pan as you would any other pancake.

This makes 3 good sized pancakes (I eat 2 and save one for a snack). Top with a bit of maple syrup or fruit as you like.
KEEP GOING, NEVER GIVE UP: Spencer D

Hey, be careful around me, apparently I'm a chronically offended kind of person... ;)

chunkymonkeymelonhed
Lynn Williams

Re: Protein pancakes!

Postby chunkymonkeymelonhed » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:28 pm

Very interested to try these! thanks for sharing.
On the books for 2017:
50th Birthday!!
Boston Marathon- April 17th what a day- DREAM COME TRUE :dance:
Run for Water 10K- May 28th
Scotia Half - June 25th
Trail River Run half marathon- Sept. 30- CANCELLED
MEC 10K Race 10- Nov. 5

Half-Mary
Jerome Drayton

Postby Half-Mary » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:22 am

Thanks!

Would using a whole egg mess these up too much, instead of using just egg whites? I can barely crack an egg, let alone separate one, and I have eggs that I need to use up soon, so I'd rather use them instead of buying egg whites.

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:41 am

Half-Mary wrote:Thanks!

Would using a whole egg mess these up too much, instead of using just egg whites? I can barely crack an egg, let alone separate one, and I have eggs that I need to use up soon, so I'd rather use them instead of buying egg whites.

Crack the egg into a bowl, then carefully, pick up the yolk with a metal slotted spoon. You will get most of the whites left behind. Chuck the yolk, put the white into another bowl (just in case you mess up), repeat....
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

Size5
Lynn Williams

Postby Size5 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:55 am

Buy a container of just egg whites!
Vancouver 2012 Done!
Considering CIM 2012

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Protein pancakes!

Postby Jwolf » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:45 am

For this recipe youd need 8 egg whites. So the volume equivalent would be 4 whole eggs, which would definitely affect the flavor, texture, and protein content of the pancakes.

The good news is you don't have to be super careful when separating them (unlike with something like meringue). If a little yolk gets in, no biggie.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Half-Mary
Jerome Drayton

Postby Half-Mary » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:45 pm

Habs4ever wrote:
Half-Mary wrote:Thanks!

Crack the egg into a bowl, then carefully, pick up the yolk with a metal slotted spoon. You will get most of the whites left behind. Chuck the yolk, put the white into another bowl (just in case you mess up), repeat....

I don't have a metal slotted spoon. Based on the other replies after yours, I'll just wait until I'm done my current eggs, and then I'll buy some egg whites in the carton. That seems like the easiest solution.

Avis
Jerome Drayton

Postby Avis » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:51 am

I tried a half-recipe of these. Used my hand (stick-type) blender, and pulverized it til you couldn't see any cheese bits. Super easy, and I was pleasantly surprised how much they looked and smelled like "normal" pancakes. Tasty with fresh blueberries and a drizzle of maple syrup. :)
"We are made of dreams and bones."
--The Garden Song

"By perseverance, the snail reached the ark."
--Charles H. Spurgeon

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
--Pablo Picasso

oobinsnaffa
Tom Longboat

Postby oobinsnaffa » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:42 pm

Sounds yummy! I'm going to give these a try, for sure.
PBs: 5K: 32:52 - 8K: 55:08 - 10K: 1:05:57

2013 Races
Mar 24: Vancouver Spring Run-Off (8K): Finished, 55:08 (PB)
Aug 17: Spartan Sprint Calgary (3 miles): Finished
Sep 7: Spartan Super Red Deer (8 miles): Finished
Sep 28: Spartan Beast Sun Peaks (13 miles)
Nov 2: Banff Winterstart (5 miles)
Dec 31: Resolution Run Calgary (5K)

MINITEE
Lynn Williams

Postby MINITEE » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:09 pm

I ran a little short on egg whites last week (about 3/4 cup) so I topped with water and crossed my fingers...

Equally as good..

And (sorry to get back to this so late) the consistency of the batter would be very different with whole eggs, not sure if it would work like the egg whites would.

Hey, be careful around me, apparently I'm a chronically offended kind of person... ;)

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:31 am

Tried these this morning. I had to seperate 6 eggs and almost got a cup of whites, (close enough). They were quite runny, but they cooked OK. I used fat free cottage cheese. They passed the Habsdaughter taste test, so I'll call them a success in Habsville. :D
Of course when you put syrup on, anything passes the taste test. :wink:

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

Avis
Jerome Drayton

Postby Avis » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:40 am

Habs4ever wrote:Tried these this morning. I had to seperate 6 eggs and almost got a cup of whites, (close enough). They were quite runny, but they cooked OK. I used fat free cottage cheese. They passed the Habsdaughter taste test, so I'll call them a success in Habsville. :D

Yeah, I didn't mention that I had to add a bit of extra oats to get the texture right. But then again, I never follow a recipe exactly as written.
"We are made of dreams and bones."
--The Garden Song

"By perseverance, the snail reached the ark."
--Charles H. Spurgeon

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
--Pablo Picasso

oobinsnaffa
Tom Longboat

Postby oobinsnaffa » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:37 pm

Habs4ever wrote:Tried these this morning. I had to seperate 6 eggs and almost got a cup of whites, (close enough). They were quite runny, but they cooked OK. I used fat free cottage cheese. They passed the Habsdaughter taste test, so I'll call them a success in Habsville. :D

In this house, my kids will eat anything if it comes with maple syrup for dipping. :lol:

I tried the recipe, it was alright. I ended up using chia seeds instead of flax, and I also added a tablespoon of almond butter. Whizzed it around in my vitamix until it looked like pancake batter, and cooked it up. I wasn't blown away by it, but I did also only eat it with a smidge of butter, no syrup. It's a good base, though, I'm going to try again with some more ingredients added - maybe some bananas and walnuts, and a little cinnamon & nutmeg. And maybe a pinch of salt to enhance the flavour.
PBs: 5K: 32:52 - 8K: 55:08 - 10K: 1:05:57

2013 Races
Mar 24: Vancouver Spring Run-Off (8K): Finished, 55:08 (PB)
Aug 17: Spartan Sprint Calgary (3 miles): Finished
Sep 7: Spartan Super Red Deer (8 miles): Finished
Sep 28: Spartan Beast Sun Peaks (13 miles)
Nov 2: Banff Winterstart (5 miles)
Dec 31: Resolution Run Calgary (5K)

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:43 am

I was thinking about these last night while I should have been sleeping. :roll:
I got six small pancakes, but if I made two big ones, I wonder if they could be used as a "wrap". :?
I'm trying to cut down on bread and buns, so this could be something to consider.

MINITEE
Lynn Williams

Postby MINITEE » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:47 pm

Habs4ever wrote:I was thinking about these last night while I should have been sleeping. :roll:
I got six small pancakes, but if I made two big ones, I wonder if they could be used as a "wrap". :?
I'm trying to cut down on bread and buns, so this could be something to consider.

If you made them crepe style.. yes.. I have been eyeballing crepe pans lately for a similar reason. In the meantime corn tortillas are doing in a pinch.

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:47 pm

MINITEE wrote:
Habs4ever wrote:I was thinking about these last night while I should have been sleeping. :roll:

If you made them crepe style.. yes.. I have been eyeballing crepe pans lately for a similar reason. In the meantime corn tortillas are doing in a pinch.

Ok, I tried it today. I don't have a real crepe pan, just a larger fry pan. My first one turned out perfectly, the 2nd ripped a bit when I turned it over, the 3rd one was a bit too thick,as I didn't spread it out enough.
I used the thicker one to wrap my turkey and veggies, it held together good. I'll see how they keep to use for the next couple days.
Each wrap was 1/2 cup.

Return to “Nutrition and Weight Management”