"The more you eat, the faster you go.. in ultraendurance"

Because you can't outrun a bad diet!
Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

"The more you eat, the faster you go.. in ultraendurance"

Postby Jwolf » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:55 pm

Interesting blog post from Alex Hutchinson, with references to some primary research articles:

http://sweatscience.com/the-more-you-ea ... endurance/

Alex Hutchinson wrote:A few months ago, I blogged about a study that observed correlation between in-race carb intake and race time in Ironman triathletes. What was significant about that paper is that it looked at a topic that has been studied to death in the lab, and took it out into the real world. There are a lot of “problems” with the real world that make it hard to nail down causes and effects — but ultimately, the whole point of this type of research is to understand what’s happening in the real world. So these observational studies, despite their challenges, are very important.

That’s by way of intro for another small study, just published in the International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism, from researchers in New Zealand. They looked at the nutritional intake of participants in a brutal cycling race, the K4, which covers 384K and includes 4,600 metres of climbing. The average finishing time of the 18 study participants was 16 hours and 21 minutes! The key points:

The estimated calorie burn for the race was about 6,000 calories; the average intake was just 4,500 calories, so there was a big caloric deficit.
There was a significant inverse relationship (p=0.023) between number of calories consumed and finishing time. The more calories you managed to cram down your gullet, the faster you finished!

Is this a surprise? Given that the race was so long, it makes sense that taking in enough energy was a significant challenge. Obviously the same thing doesn’t apply during, say, a 100-metre sprint. The question is: where’s the breakpoint, beyond which energy intake becomes a significant independent predictor of performance? I think the general assumption is that it’s probably a bit below marathon distance — so it would be really interesting to see a study like this, with a very large number of participants, at a marathon.

The last paragraph is of particular interest to me. I agree that it would be interesting to see a study like this performed on a large group of marathoners. I suspect that the results would not necessarily be completely predictive-- that some marathoners might benefit from more energy consumption, others less so.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Re: "The more you eat, the faster you go.. in ultraendurance

Postby turd ferguson » Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:47 pm

"There are a lot of “problems” with the real world that make it hard to nail down causes and effects"

The side of the road is littered with the remains of scientists who can't figure out why what looked so simple on the blackboard didn't work in the real world, many of whom insist that they're still correct and that the real world is wrong.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

drghfx
Abby Hoffman

Postby drghfx » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:33 pm

I'd be interested to see the average speed per k of the cyclists in the race and a per k breakdown. If the guys who took in the most calories kept up their starting pace or even got faster while the other guys couldn't maintain their starting pace then I'd say the study has some merit. However, if everyone was able to maintain their starting pace for the whole race, then you might be able to hypothesize that the guys who took in the most calories were just faster. I know, there are a lot of other potential variables as well.
"A true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers but borrowed from his children." - John James Audubon

"The ultimate test of a moral society is the kind of world that it leaves to its children." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

"I was watching the London Marathon and saw one runner dressed as a chicken and another runner dressed as an egg. I thought: 'This could be interesting'." - Paddy Lennox

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast!" - author unknown

phorunner
Bruce Kidd

Postby phorunner » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:45 pm

I think the real question is it "they're faster because they consumed more calories", or is it "they consumed more calories because they're just faster and need more energy"?

It's tough to compare people against themselves - changes in training over time probably have a bigger effect - so it must be even harder to compare performance across the field.

2012 Bread and Honey 5k: 27:30
2012 Harry Rosen 8k: 45:20
2012 SL10k: 52:55
2013 Army Run: 1:58:49
2011 Midsummer's Night Run 15k: 1:35:17
2013 ATB 30k - Coming up!
2011 Scotia TWM Full: UGH! I'll post my next one

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:52 pm

phorunner wrote:I think the real question is it "they're faster because they consumed more calories", or is it "they consumed more calories because they're just faster and need more energy"?

Or even, "Do people who are naturally faster NEED more calories to perform at that level than those of us who are not as fast?"

What impact does calorie consumption have on an individual's performance (against himself) as opposed to his performance against someone else.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Return to “Nutrition and Weight Management”