Gut and Psychology Syndrome?

Because you can't outrun a bad diet!
ultraslacker
Site Admin

Gut and Psychology Syndrome?

Postby ultraslacker » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:14 pm

Has anyone heard of this?

I hadn't heard of it until today, but I have an opportunity to attend a workshop with a dietician who specializes in it.

I'm a skeptic of anyone who says they can cure Autism (and a host of other things from Epilepsy to Dyslexia) through diet alone. But I'm curious. :)

This is the website: http://www.gutandpsychologysyndrome.com/

But if any of the medical types have more information, I'd love to hear it!
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Miss*Smiles
Lynn Williams

Re: Gut and Psychology Syndrome?

Postby Miss*Smiles » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:17 pm

When I was a junior ABA therapist, the family I was working for was VERY into this type of treatment. I don't know how well it "worked" (is working) - during the short time I was there (maybe 7 months), Benjamin went from being almost non-verbal to beginning to speak in sentences (at 4 years old). The family did A LOT of work with manding and he had a fairly specific diet. They were doing anything. anything. everything. they could to help him.

I have heard this before, working with children with autism, that diet can help...
When your legs get tired, run with your heart.

Overcome the notion that you must be regular. It robs you of your chance to be extraordinary.

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:28 pm

Oh I didn't know you did ABA Therapy! I'd like to hear more about your experiences with that (maybe separately).

When I worked for Supported Child Development they used ABA but were very against the idea of diet being able to cure autism (think Jenny McCarthy). But I get that parents will try anything and everything to help.
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Miss*Smiles
Lynn Williams

Postby Miss*Smiles » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:06 pm

I did! I used to work with people with a variety of disabilities (physical) as a volunteer - I wanted to be an OT but didn't "get" sciences :S I have a love of working with people with disabilities, especially children. I was hired not long after I moved to Ottawa to do ABA therapy in a private home (and worked at the Learning Disabilities Association at the same time). Unfortunately, the bus ride to and from the clients' home was longer than my hours with them.

I guess there are so many questions around what causes these unexplained disorders/syndromes that people are willing to try what they can. I don't know if diet works?
When your legs get tired, run with your heart.

Overcome the notion that you must be regular. It robs you of your chance to be extraordinary.

abhainn
Abby Hoffman

Postby abhainn » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:40 pm

Sort of related and sort of not but weren't there findings a few years ago which showed a correlation between wheat allergies and symptoms of ADHD in children? I vaguely remember seeing a 60minutes type story about kids with uncontrollable behaviors/tempertantrums who were put on wheat free diets and showed marked improvement.
Andrea Michelle

------------------------------------------------

"There are no fish in my pond"

mtngirl
Percy Williams

Postby mtngirl » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:29 am

A friend of mine tried this diet to help give her some relief from her Crohn's disease and she ended up in ketoacidosis and had to be hospitalized. I am intrigued by the claims the diet makes though....

Return to “Nutrition and Weight Management”