How do you stick to your healthy eating habits?

Because you can't outrun a bad diet!
deerdree
Kevin Sullivan

Re: How do you stick to your healthy eating habits?

Postby deerdree » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:42 pm

Ironboy wrote:
ultraslacker wrote:do you guys have Menchies out there? :drool:

Menchies?

self-serve frozen yogurt. it's been in the GTA for a while. they just opened one in burlington and i'm stoked because we only had yogurty's (not as good) before.

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:15 pm

deerdree wrote:
Ironboy wrote:

Menchies?

self-serve frozen yogurt. it's been in the GTA for a while. they just opened one in burlington and i'm stoked because we only had yogurty's (not as good) before.

I've only been once so far, but it was awesome... you pick your yogurt flavour(s) and then there are dozens of toppings and syrups and other yummy things to put in. Then they charge by weight of the whole concoction.
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

CAW
Lynn Williams

Postby CAW » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:22 pm

ultraslacker wrote:
deerdree wrote:
Ironboy wrote:

Menchies?

I've only been once so far, but it was awesome... you pick your yogurt flavour(s) and then there are dozens of toppings and syrups and other yummy things to put in. Then they charge by weight of the whole concoction.

That's TutiFruti here. We tried that for the first time a couple weeks ago. Yummy! But definitely only a once-in-a-while treat.
~Kara~

"To be beautiful means to be yourself. You don’t need to be accepted by others. You need to accept yourself."
— Thich Nhat Hanh

gnu
Jerome Drayton

Postby gnu » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:15 am

ultraslacker wrote:
deerdree wrote:
Ironboy wrote:

Menchies?

:shock: That sounds fun!!

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:23 am

fun and yummy! :)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:34 am

gnu wrote:
ultraslacker wrote:
deerdree wrote:
Ironboy wrote:

Menchies?

We have both Menchies and Yogurty's here in the Beach.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

deerdree
Kevin Sullivan

Postby deerdree » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:52 am

gnu wrote:
ultraslacker wrote:
deerdree wrote:
Ironboy wrote:

Menchies?

they have a menchie's in guelph!

eta: i also feel the need to point out one of the biggest draws for me: you can try unlimited (self-serve) free samples until you find the flavour you like. :shifty:

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:51 am

My advice to maintain a healthy eating habit (ie weight and helath): stay away from advertising.

Last year, just one of the big fast food companies made more than $1,300,000,000 in profit (billion with a 'b'). They've also paid their CEO nearly $200 million in salary in the last five years. Sometimes, a big profit is the sign that you're doing something right, creating real value for people able to pay. Sometimes, though, it means you're exploiting a weakness in the system.

The big food companies are brilliant, relentless, focused marketers. Marketing works. It gets people to take action, to change their minds, and most of all, to do more of what they might have had an inkling to do in the first place. Sometimes a lot more. When the ideas of marketing (and the products are part of the marketing, optimized for high consumption) are weaponized like this, they are extraordinarily effective at achieving their goals.

The side effects of this marketing are obvious: both short-term satiation and long-term health degradation. Kids on little league baseball teams may smile with delight when treated to a post-game feast, simultaneously, high blood pressure, diabetes and obesity all rise dramatically over time as a result of consistently consuming vast quantities of the products that these companies market. This is beyond dispute.

http://sethgodin.typepad.com/seths_blog ... crime.html
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:00 pm

I'm very lucky in that I honestly really LIKE healthy food. I don't like to eat processed food at all, and I rarely crave fast food. I do enjoy sugar, and I am terrible at diets that cut out treats entirely. I can't do it as a lifestyle, I just keep telling myself "I could get hit by a bus tomorrow, and wouldn't I rather have eaten this delicious butter tart?". :lol: I think as long as treats are in moderation and in small amounts, they can be part of a healthy eating habit. I go to DQ quite a bit in summer, but I always get a small cone. On miracle treat day I get a blizzard (it's for the CHILDREN!) but the mini size is totally enough. I once split a small with someone and it was two full bowls of ice cream! I was shocked! No wonder I always feel sick after eating them. I try to only have treats like that on days when I have run, as well.

Re: Menchies, I only tried it for the first time a few weeks ago. I was disappointed... I would rather have real ice cream ANY day, first of all, and second of all the TINY amount I got was almost $4.00. I did get maltesers and Reeses Pieces on top, kinda heavy toppings, but it was seriously like a kids size serving and I could've gotten a really good Ed's Real Scoop cone for that amount.
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:31 pm

menchies is about the *experience*, not the price. ;)

deerdree
Kevin Sullivan

How do you stick to your healthy eating habits?

Postby deerdree » Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:54 pm

ultraslacker wrote:menchies is about the *experience*, not the price. ;)

Also, I'm usually too full from the sampling. :lol:

gnu
Jerome Drayton

Postby gnu » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:09 pm

deerdree wrote:they have a menchie's in guelph!

eta: i also feel the need to point out one of the biggest draws for me: you can try unlimited (self-serve) free samples until you find the flavour you like. :shifty:

:what:

How did I NOT KNOW ABOUT THIS????

Return to “Nutrition and Weight Management”