Batch cooking

Because you can't outrun a bad diet!
Kristi
Jerome Drayton

Batch cooking

Postby Kristi » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:51 pm

I know that a few of you do some big batch cooking and I'm looking for some inspiration. What are your favourite things to cook in large quantities and freeze for later meals?
Mine include waffles, chicken nuggets and pasta sauce (can you tell that I have kids?).

rockstar79
Bill Crothers

Re: Batch cooking

Postby rockstar79 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:55 pm

Watching this thread for updates, I need some inspiration too!
Next?
:)

Avis
Jerome Drayton

Postby Avis » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:12 pm

Butternut squash soup; anything from the slow cooker (stew, etc.).
"We are made of dreams and bones."
--The Garden Song

"By perseverance, the snail reached the ark."
--Charles H. Spurgeon

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
--Pablo Picasso

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:19 pm

I need suggestions too! This is one of my projects for the next few weeks - once I get that pesky thesis out of the way.

In the past I've done things like chili, lasagna, soup (frozen in individual containers for lunches). I'd like to branch out though. I'm also going to try some "Supperworks" style ones where you do the prep and freeze, but the actual cooking happens when you eat it - just because I think some food tastes better that way.

One supperworks clone I do is asian beef wraps.
-Ground beef
-Bagged coleslaw mix
-Flour tortillas
-Asian sauce - mine is usually a mix of what I have in my fridge - hoisin, some soy sauce, some sesame oil, chili spice and brown sugar

Each of those goes in a ziplock and then you pack them all together in one big ziplock (the tortillas can be in the outer bag). Thaw overnight, then brown the beef, drain any fat, add coleslaw so it softens a bit then stir in sauce - serve on tortillas.

The amounts listed below make two meals for DH, me + baby - so I split it into two bags to freeze.
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:28 pm

Muffins!
If it ain’t broke, run through it -- Strider

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:33 pm

I've been doing some big cook days - with recipes/plans from Once a Month Mom.

Following that, I've also done some "make 2 meals, eat one, freeze one" nights.

This is a favourite stew recipe of ours:

http://onceamonthmom.com/hearty-beef-stew/

Another neat section of their website is the "no-cook prep day" section - all their (not ones that they link to on other sites, just theirs) recipes that don't require cooking before freezing:

http://onceamonthmom.com/oamm_cooking_t ... -prep-day/
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

kab
Bruce Kidd

Postby kab » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:41 pm

Meatballs. I make a huge batch and cook them in the oven under the broiler. Once they are cool, they can be frozen in a single layer and put in large ziplock bags or containers. They are great with your favorite sauce or in soup or with spaghetti and you can take out as few or as many as you like.
Oct 26, 2014 Vancouver Rock and Roll Half
Feb 22, 2015 Hypothermic half wave 1

Engmomma
Abby Hoffman

Postby Engmomma » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:26 pm

Size5 is the big cook guru :)

Me I do soup, lasagna, chili, and quinoa. Mostly lunch type meals.
The Summer of Eng is over.

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:43 pm

Engmomma wrote:Size5 is the big cook guru :)

Me I do soup, lasagna, chili, and quinoa. Mostly lunch type meals.

Does quinoa freeze well? How's the texture when it thaws? Recipe please!

Engmomma
Abby Hoffman

Postby Engmomma » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:54 pm

I freeze individual servings for lunches. Just make as usual. Nothing fancy. I sometimes come home for lunch and will use it in stir fry. It freezes well Imo.
The Summer of Eng is over.

KBO
Ben Johnson

Postby KBO » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:35 pm

We do big cooks quite often. We're finding it a big help this year with Bingerunner commuting for work so far out of town. Some our staples include:

- meatballs - good in spaghetti sauce, sweet & sour meatballs, or with mushroom sauce
- chicken breasts - cut into strips, coooked and frozen - great on salad, and also handy to throw in a wrap for lunches
- chickpea patties - this is a vegan recipe from a friend and it freezes well
- meatloaf
- cabbage roll casserole
- soups
- chili
- chicken legs - marinated overnight and then lightly coated in a bit of a breading mixture and baked - they freeze very well
- Sweet potato burritos - they are awesome to have frozen and take for quick and easy lunches
- Cuban hash - a recipe using ground beef and freezes very well and goes great with rice
- Lentil loaf - Binge found a really good lentil loaf recipe recently and it freezes extremely well

We also cook up onions, peppers, etc. and freeze it in small batches and then it can thrown in quinoa along with a can of chick peas for a quick meal .

a-slow-5
Jerome Drayton

Postby a-slow-5 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:28 am

KBO wrote:We do big cooks quite often. We're finding it a big help this year with Bingerunner commuting for work so far out of town. Some our staples include:

- meatballs - good in spaghetti sauce, sweet & sour meatballs, or with mushroom sauce
- chicken breasts - cut into strips, coooked and frozen - great on salad, and also handy to throw in a wrap for lunches
- meatloaf
- cabbage roll casserole
- soups
- chili
- chicken legs - marinated overnight and then lightly coated in a bit of a breading mixture and baked - they freeze very well
- Sweet potato burritos - they are awesome to have frozen and take for quick and easy lunches
- Cuban hash - a recipe using ground beef and freezes very well and goes great with rice
- Lentil loaf - Binge found a really good lentil loaf recipe recently and it freezes extremely well

We also cook up onions, peppers, etc. and freeze it in small batches and then it can thrown in quinoa along with a can of chick peas for a quick meal .

K, would you mind to share the cabbage roll casserole recipe? Or PM me with it? Please and thanks!?
Treat a child as though she already is the person she's capable of becoming. - Haim Ginott
Keep going. Never give up. - Spencer Dolling
Run like hell, feel like hell, look like hell! - Nick
It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you have. - Cheryl Crow

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:32 am

a-slow-5 wrote:
KBO wrote:We do big cooks quite often. We're finding it a big help this year with Bingerunner commuting for work so far out of town. Some our staples include:

- meatloaf
- cabbage roll casserole
- soups
- chili

K, would you mind to share the cabbage roll casserole recipe? Or PM me with it? Please and thanks!?

Me too! And the sweet potato burritos too please :D

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:18 am

Pretty much every week all winter, I've gotten a whole chicken and roasted it. Then I make soup from the stock and meat we didn't eat the first night, plus veggies and potatoes or rice or noodles. I make a HUGE pot of soup and sometimes freeze some- it basically amounts to at least 3 meals, plus lunches and maybe some frozen, from about $10 of chicken. :D

Also, Pat has made "stovies" many times this winter- it's a Scottish "delicacy". Really. And it's GOOD. You cook sausages (we like hot Italian), and then put them in a pot of water with potatoes, carrots and onions. Simmer about 2 hours and the sausage makes the most YUMMY broth. It's basically like stew, and it's even better the next day. Stovies usually give us 3 meals, or 2 plus lunches.

We'll have to figure out some spring/summer big batch options- I really like cooking this way- makes it way easier during the week! Plus it's very economical.
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:37 am

jes wrote:
a-slow-5 wrote:

- meatloaf
- cabbage roll casserole
- soups
- chili

Me too! And the sweet potato burritos too please :D

Chickpea patties recipe as well please!

KBO
Ben Johnson

Postby KBO » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:56 am

OK, will get those recipes posted in the next couple of days!

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:57 pm

KBO wrote:OK, will get those recipes posted in the next couple of days!

But I'm hungry now.

Kristi
Jerome Drayton

Postby Kristi » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:42 pm

These are great ideas - keep them coming! I have a big almost empty deep freeze and lots of time on my hands :D

KBO
Ben Johnson

Postby KBO » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:58 pm

dgrant wrote:
KBO wrote:OK, will get those recipes posted in the next couple of days!

But I'm hungry now.

You'll survive buddy.

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:10 am

And the lentil loaf recipe please! :)
Lady of the Order of the Velour Track Suit

KBO
Ben Johnson

Postby KBO » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:32 pm

OK, here are the links to three of the recipes:

Lentil Loaf: http://www.myvegancookbook.com/recipes/recipe.php?id=16

Lazy Cabbage Roll: http://www.canadianliving.com/reader-recipe/feeling_lazy_cabbage_roll_casserole.php - You can use tomato soup if you don't have tomato sauce on hand.

Chick Pea Patties (Cutlets): http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=265436

KBO
Ben Johnson

Postby KBO » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:41 pm

Bean and Vegetable Burittos (slow cooker recipe)

2 Tbsp chili powder
2 tsp dried oregano
1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
4 cloves of garlic, minced
1 medium onion, chopped
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
1 bell pepper, chopped
1 cup frozen corn, thawed and drained
3 Tbsp lime juice
Chopped fresh cilantro (1Tbsp or to taste)
3/4 chopped grated cheese (Monteray Jack or Cheddar)
4 - 10" tortillas

Combine chili powder, oregano, and cumin...set aside.

Layer in slow cooker in this order: sweet potato, black beans, half of chili powder mix, garlic, onion, jalapeno pepper, bell pepper, remaining half of chili powder mix, and corn. Cover and cook on low for 5 hours...until sweet potato is tender.

Stir in lime juice and cilantro and mix everything well.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Put approximately 3/4 cup - 1 cup of mixture plus 1-2 Tbsp of cheese in each tortilla and wrap, folding both ends in to close. Place burritos seam side down on baking sheet. Cover with foil, bake 20 to 30 minutes. You may want to flip them after 10-15 minutes.

Once they are cool you can wrap individually in wax paper and foil and toss them in the freezer.

We always make a double batch. We sometimes add a can of lentils to stretch the filling further and then we get about 14 burritos out of a double batch.

Enjoy!

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:04 pm

Thanks!

JoaniB
Tom Longboat

Postby JoaniB » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:18 pm

There are a few things I like to have on hand as left-overs (which then turns into finding it six months later, and thinking about when the heck I last cooked that!). My favourites are spaghetti sauce, which can double as a stew on its own, my goulash (though the dumplings don't fare as well), and rice.

The first two can be reheated as normal. I store the rice in plastic baggies. To reheat, open the bag, sprinkle with a little water, and toss in the microwave for 30 seconds to one minute.
Ottawa Race Weekend 10k (2009): 1h07m; Army Half-marathon (2009): 2h38m; St. Patrick's Day 5k (2010): 33m; Ottawa Race Weekend Half-marathon (2010): 2h28m (getting better!); St. Patrick's Day 10k (2011): 1h13m (or not); Calgary 10k (2012): 1h06m (new PB!); Canadian Derby Half-marathon (2012): 2h17m (PB!)
~~~~~~~//~~~~~~~
"And now for my next impression, Jesse Owens!" - Bart the Sheriff in Blazing Saddles
~~~~~~~//~~~~~~~
http://runjellyrun.blogspot.com

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:19 pm

I put this in the "What's for dinner" thread as well, but it's so good I'm posting it here as well. I'm making Michael Smith's beef stew tonight. It's awesome and will be good for probably two dinners and at least one lunch.
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

Return to “Nutrition and Weight Management”