Hot breakfast cereals

Because you can't outrun a bad diet!
scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Hot breakfast cereals

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:01 am

Tell me about your favourite hot breakfast cereal, oats etc!

After I had the baby, a neighbour brought me over a big bag of treats from the health food store, including a package of Holy Crap cereal with oats. I actually really liked it, and have tried making my own clone more cheaply (it's a mix of chia, hemp hearts and buckwheat, plus oats and dried fruit). I really like that you can just pour boiling water over it - no cooking required.

Now I'm inspired to try other hot cereals and picked up Red River Cereal and one of the Bob's multi-grain cereals from the bulk section. (Bob has a million - 5 grains, 7 grains, 10 grains - what's the difference? besides more grains!).

Would love to hear what you like and your cooking methods!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Re: Hot breakfast cereals

Postby Habs4ever » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:10 am

I'm very boring, I eat the same breakfast every.single.day. If I don't start my day with it, I feel "off" somehow.

1/3 cup large flake Oates
2/3 cup of milk
1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce

Microwave on power level 3 for 6 minutes. Cut up a banana on top.
Keeps me going until lunch.
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:48 am

Red River is awesome! Must try this 'Holy Crap' stuff. I keep hearing about it.

I'm actually a cold cereal kind of gal - except on long run/race mornings!
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

marymac442
Jerome Drayton

Hot breakfast cereals

Postby marymac442 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:24 am

Skip the Holy Crap, it's ... well ... crap. I don't know how anyone could eat an entire bowl.
I'm also not much for hot cereal, too much work and not my favorite texture. I will half Natures Path oatmeal, I just nuke water with some frozen blueberries and add the instant Oatmeal. Not as grossly sweet as most instant oatmeal.
Bonsor Breakfast Club
"It's All About the Food

2019 plans - Sun Run Clinic (as usual), make it past tax season with sanity intact, start training, Chicago Marathon !!!

Samantha
Donovan Bailey

Postby Samantha » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:28 am

I'm very boring too. I eat Quaker Instant Oatmeal (plain) every day. I know the instant is "bad" but I don't care. I like it and it's fast to prepare. I also like my oatmeal really, really, really thick and this way I can have it that way - it's almost like a paste. I throw in some almonds, some fruit, some brown sugar and some cream. YUM.

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:29 am

Habs4ever wrote:I'm very boring, I eat the same breakfast every.single.day. If I don't start my day with it, I feel "off" somehow.

1/3 cup large flake Oates
2/3 cup of milk
1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce

Microwave on power level 3 for 6 minutes. Cut up a banana on top.
Keeps me going until lunch.

I don't know how that would keep you going until lunch. That would last me about one hour. :lol:

I eat oatmeal a lot but nothing fancy... oats, water, and a handful of raisins. (after it's cooked I add milk, brown sugar, and cinnamon)
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:51 am

President's Choice Blue Menu has an instant steel cut oats in packets that's pretty good.

I tend to make my oatmeal with skim milk or almond milk as I like the taste better that way.

If I'm making a big pot of oatmeal, I use the large flake oats, skim milk or almond milk, plus raisins, diced apple, and sometimes nuts. That will keep for a few days in the fridge and is easy to reheat.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

IronGoddess
Jerome Drayton

Postby IronGoddess » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:53 am

i have started having the refrigerator oatmeal. I make it the night before and grab it in the morning and eat it cold. Yummy. 1/2 cup oats, 1/2 cup almond milk, 1 tbsp chia, 2 tbsp coconut, a couple sliced strawberries and 1 tsp honey mix and put in fridge.
IMC 2015

bnn
Jerome Drayton

Postby bnn » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:04 am

Running Goddess wrote:i have started having the refrigerator oatmeal. I make it the night before and grab it in the morning and eat it cold. Yummy. 1/2 cup oats, 1/2 cup almond milk, 1 tbsp chia, 2 tbsp coconut, a couple sliced strawberries and 1 tsp honey mix and put in fridge.

Do you have to heat it?
Just call me the thread killa

Samantha
Donovan Bailey

Postby Samantha » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:04 am

La wrote:President's Choice Blue Menu has an instant steel cut oats in packets that's pretty good.

I will have to try that! Instant as in pour boiling water from a kettle?

trixiee
Lynn Williams

Postby trixiee » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:47 am

Large Flaked oats, or steel cut oats, cooked in half milk, half water... Add raisins, a few chopped dates, walnut pieces, chopped apple, and pumkin pie spice... Mmmm!! I cook a big batch and portion it out in bowls for the next 3 or 4 days. I've been known to eat that after a workout too. If I do that, I add in some whey are hemp powder for extra protein.
http://connect.garmin.com/profile/trixiee14

Why fit in when you were born to stand out?
~ Dr. Suess~
Life is short. Drink the good wine first!

IronGoddess
Jerome Drayton

Postby IronGoddess » Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:28 pm

Nope I do not heat it. is is really yummy cold
IMC 2015

MINITEE
Lynn Williams

Postby MINITEE » Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:23 am

I've done the cold refrigerator oats (with Greek Yogurt/berries/honey) in the past and liked it a lot.

I like quinoa for breakfast on my carb days. I cook a batch in water so I can do savory or breakfast style with the left overs. I warm it up with some almond or coconut milk, some nuts/seed/berries and a dollop of Greek Yogurt and honey.

I am also a big fan of meat and nut breakie. It keeps me super full for long mornings of back-to back clients. 3-4 ounces of meat, handful of nuts and a handful of berries. Good fat, lots of protein and carbs from the fruit.
KEEP GOING, NEVER GIVE UP: Spencer D

Hey, be careful around me, apparently I'm a chronically offended kind of person... ;)

Avis
Jerome Drayton

Postby Avis » Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:23 pm

I like Red River cereal, and lots of other kinds of hot cereal. My mom used to make us hot yellow cornmeal porridge, rice cereal (rice cooked slowly in simmering milk), cooked barley, cracked wheat, cream of wheat, and of course, oatmeal.

I like them all, but mostly these days, I make microwave oatmeal. I finally figured out how to make it without it boiling all over in the microwave. I measure the water into a large bowl and bring it to a boil in the microwave, then add the large-flake oats. I nuke the mixture on low for 13 minutes (while I do my shower or some such morning activity). The oats are done and no fuss. I like to add any kind of dried fruit to my oatmeal--raisins, cherries, dried apricots, dates. Sometimes I slice a banana on top.
"We are made of dreams and bones."
--The Garden Song

"By perseverance, the snail reached the ark."
--Charles H. Spurgeon

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
--Pablo Picasso

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:22 pm

thanks everyone!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:05 pm

marymac442 wrote:Skip the Holy Crap, it's ... well ... crap. I don't know how anyone could eat an entire bowl.

I have to agree with you on that!

I really like steel-cut oats. Mixed with a bit of brown sugar and sometimes flax seeds. They take a while to cook but they are much better than the quick-cooking or slow-cooking oats.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

alexk
Bill Crothers

Postby alexk » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:31 am

Jwolf wrote:
marymac442 wrote:Skip the Holy Crap, it's ... well ... crap. I don't know how anyone could eat an entire bowl.

I really like steel-cut oats. Mixed with a bit of brown sugar and sometimes flax seeds. They take a while to cook but they are much better than the quick-cooking or slow-cooking oats.

Steel cut oats are my morning meal too, also w/ brown sugar or maple syrup & a bit of fruit mixed in (berries, apple, banana - whatever I have).

I cook mine each morning (don't like them as much reheated). They take about 20 min. My fav brand is PC Blue Menu. I eat a huge bowl: 1/2 cup oats - 2 cups water - but they keep me going most of the morning!
We train more joyfully and productively when we focus on the now, rather than on our future race day performance. It's a long road from here to there with many miles to go. We need to run each one. Accept where you are today and simply be thankful for the work you've accomplished. KA

Stampie
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stampie » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:55 am

alexk wrote:
Jwolf wrote:

Steel cut oats are my morning meal too, also w/ brown sugar or maple syrup & a bit of fruit mixed in (berries, apple, banana - whatever I have).

I cook mine each morning (don't like them as much reheated). They take about 20 min. My fav brand is PC Blue Menu. I eat a huge bowl: 1/2 cup oats - 2 cups water - but they keep me going most of the morning!

Add me to the list of Holy Crap! Having said that, I do still eat Holy Crap once in a while, but I just do not eat it as a standalone bowl of cereal. I add a spoonful or two to my cooked oats, when I do have it. Quite frankly, the stuff is overpriced. The start-up and history of Holy Crap is amazing. My MIL got me onto the stuff and how I would like to eat it currently. Sadly because of the cost, we don’t have it often. Since my MIL lives in Gibsons where it is produced, she gets it straight from the outlet (just down the street from her house).

I’ll try to find out if my MIL has a recipe, as she has now started to make batches of it herself, since it is rather expensive trying to get it on the Sunshine Coast as well. I’ll be seeing her this weekend, so I’ll keep you posted.

I love eating steel cut oats, my recipe is very simple and only takes about 5min prep and then you walk away or in my case, go to bed! :lol: And in the morning you have fresh oats, which is just as good the next day as leftovers as well. Here is my recipe. http://foodwhine.com/2010/06/steel-cut-oatmeal-in-the-crockpot.html

In my search for the link above I found this recipe that looks good as well. Must give it a try.
http://www.theyummylife.com/Slow_Cooker_Apple_Cinnamon_Oatmeal
PB’s (official race results)
5K – 26:20; 8K – 41:28; 10K – 52:13; 15K - 1:22:43; 21.1K – 1:54:16; 30K – 2:51:34; 42.2K – 4:24:14

What is up for 2018
Feb 11th - First Half Vancouver
TBA
Planning & in my sights
Jun 9th - Puddle Jumper Classic

Run the mile you're in. Not the one behind you, and not the one in front of you - the one you are running now :) - purdy65

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:13 am

Samantha wrote:
La wrote:President's Choice Blue Menu has an instant steel cut oats in packets that's pretty good.

I will have to try that! Instant as in pour boiling water from a kettle?

I think so. I make mine with skim milk or almond milk and nuke it for 90 seconds.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:53 pm

I haven't tried the plain Holy Crap - mine has oats in it - wonder if that makes it feel more oatmealy?
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon

bnn
Jerome Drayton

Postby bnn » Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:16 pm

I bought some of these chia seeds last night.....
Just call me the thread killa

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:16 pm

My oatmeal is large flake oats (NOT instant) 1/2c oats, ~1c water, bring to a boil, turn heat down and simmer until thick. I make them a variety of ways. Sometimes, I will add apples and cinnamon while they are cooking, or raisins and cloves. Lately I have been putting my oatmeal on cut up strawberries, and adding milk. (The other kinds I eat with brown sugar and milk).

Thug kitchen has a good recipe for quinoa and steel cut oats that I have made a few times and it is tasty! The recipe has some rather strong language, so please don't click the link if you are faint of heart: http://thugkitchen.com/post/51561424744 ... -breakfast

It's essentially:
1c steel cut oats, toasted in the oil of your choice
1/2c rinsed quinoa
4 c boiling water
simmer until thick
1/2c milk of your choice (recipe says almond)

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:00 am

I made the overnight refrigerator oats last night and really liked them! Very different from hot oatmeal - more like yogurt with stuff in it. I did strawberries with vanilla yogurt.
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon

IronGoddess
Jerome Drayton

Postby IronGoddess » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:32 am

The strawberries and vanilla is my favorite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IMC 2015

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:45 am

Just to resurrect this thread!

I'm still enjoying my homemade version of Holy Crap with oats. Not everyday, but I love how quick it is.

The cold oatmeal was a huge hit - DH loves that he can just grab a jar as he heads out the door in the morning to coach. C likes it too.

I was not a fan of the Red River or the Bob's many grain - I prefer regular on the stove hot oatmeal. (except for the time it takes and attention required!).

I used my left over red river to make some muffins though and they were fabulous!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon

Return to “Nutrition and Weight Management”