Because you can't outrun a bad diet!
ultraslacker
Site Admin

Four things the fitness industry can stop arguing over

Postby ultraslacker » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:17 pm

Great article:
http://www.bodyforwife.com/4-things-the ... uing-over/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

La
Kevin Sullivan

Re: Four things the fitness industry can stop arguing over

Postby La » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:00 pm

Yes, I read that a while ago.

I saw a comment on another post similar to this one that talked about having a caloric deficit on a weekly basis (as opposed to worrying too much on a daily basis). That said, you have to track daily to know whether you are meeting the caloric deficit you desire.

But the bottom line with all the different diets is that you have to find one that you LIKE following! Low-carb, paleo, low-fat, vegan, keto, whatever... if it's not sustainable for you for the long term, you won't stick to it.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:01 pm

Yup, and for me the problem is I can't seem to stick to anything long-term. :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:44 pm

James Fell is so sensible-- so much truth in what he says here!

I have gotten back on the calorie-tracking train, because for me it helps me be mindful of my food choices. But I know there are HUGE amounts of error in the calories given for different foods. I know my tracking isn't perfect, but it's close enough, and eventually the error sort of cancel eachother out. I think of it as a scientific experiment on myself-- once I reach the proper set-point I hope the habits stick.

I saw a comment on another post similar to this one that talked about having a caloric deficit on a weekly basis (as opposed to worrying too much on a daily basis). That said, you have to track daily to know whether you are meeting the caloric deficit you desire.

And hence the trend toward intermittent fasting.

The other thing that bugs me about all these diet choices-- While it's true that there are many different diets that help you achieve weight loss, they aren't necessary all equal in terms of health. I don't like any diet that limits whole foods like fresh vegetables, fruits, and legumes in the name of "low carb" because you are missing out on a lot of phytonutrients. There is so much misunderstanding about nutrition, and sometimes people end up limiting very healthy foods.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Return to “Nutrition and Weight Management”