w00t!

Questions and comments about the forum or the web site
ultraslacker
Site Admin

w00t!

Postby ultraslacker » Tue Jul 26, 2005 5:44 pm

Forum appears to be installed and working... I will have to work on the look and stuff.... :)

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Tue Jul 26, 2005 5:50 pm

since I will be spending the next little while fixing this place up and making it presentable... what would you like to see? I'm looking for suggestions as far as what boards/categories, etc, we should have.

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:46 pm

Hey Holly looks great, it's really coming along. I think that what you have as far as topic boards is fine, but maybe others that join will have some ideas.

jacob42.2
Bill Crothers

Postby jacob42.2 » Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:49 pm

hmm..I posted that last one, but forgot to sign in...guest?? Ohh..I get it haha, lurkers can post too without signing in..

:lol:
PB's: 5k: 16:40 10K: 34:59 21.1: 1:17:16 Marathon: 02:50:47
RUNNING MANIA #2

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:49 pm

jacob42.2 wrote:hmm..I posted that last one, but forgot to sign in...guest?? Ohh..I get it haha, lurkers can post too without signing in..

:lol:

yeah I see that... I wonder if I can fix that in the config... probably.

jacob42.2
Bill Crothers

Postby jacob42.2 » Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:50 pm

haha, I have an idea, instead of Race Reports, it could be Run/Race reports...Whadda think...

RUNNING MANIA #2

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:51 pm

sure!

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:58 pm

hey, should we do categories based on people's post numbers?

we could do:

0-50 posts - newbie?
51-100 posts - addict?
101-500 - ??
500-1000 - ??
1000+ ??

open to suggestion. :)

jacob42.2
Bill Crothers

Postby jacob42.2 » Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:02 pm

That's a good idea..too bad I couldn't carry over post from the other place, I think I was up to 1300 haha
That would be filed under: Needs A life. :lol:

RUNNING MANIA #2

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:30 pm

qmp wrote:Oh, and a sticky, or a locked thread with all the abbrevations. (LSD, NCM, DU etc) I still have to look the odd one up!

I was wondering if we should have a board for beginners, and we could include things like that. We could also make a beginners' FAQ....?

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Tue Jul 26, 2005 11:03 pm

I think it's better if beginners can be right in with the rest of us, rather than having a beginner board- wouldn't want to get cliquey.
But maybe a questions thread? Like an advice column- hee hee
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:19 am

Looks good so far Holly. Good luck, it's great to have choices!

A couple suggestions:

- I really liked the race report section at "that other place", but always wanted another section where people gave accounts of the event itself, separate from their personal performance. That way someone 'shopping' for their next race could check it out to get opinions and recommendations without filtering through each racers splits and potty break history, etc... (Don't get me wrong, I like reading about peoples' personal performances, but maybe in another spot)

- Somehow addressing the issue of the same beginner
questions resurfacing every two weeks. A beginners section could address some of the 20 or 30 most common beginner issues, so that people seeking answers could have a logical place to look first, and the rest of the board would not be cluttered with repetitive threads (ie. "What's this pain in my knee?" or "What does chip time mean?")
We would still get to 'meet' beginner runners in the other general threads.

Anyhow, I really support your effort to create a new discussion place. There are certainly aspects of "that other place" that I like(d), but I'm happy to see several of the same interesting contributors over here in a more independent setting. :D :D

lovethehills
Bill Crothers

Postby lovethehills » Wed Jul 27, 2005 5:33 am

Holly,

This is fantastic! I would not have the slighest clue where to even begin to create a message board. Kudos to you for taking it upon yourself. I have no doubt it will grow to become a fantastic place :lol:

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:43 am

lovethehills wrote:Holly,

This is fantastic! I would not have the slighest clue where to even begin to create a message board. Kudos to you for taking it upon yourself. I have no doubt it will grow to become a fantastic place :lol:

Well I didn't create it. The application is pre-developed by someone else and I just stuck it on my website, so that's not exactly anything special. It's so great that things like this are developed and provided for free. I remember the days when I did create my own message board because there weren't the freely available ones... this one is much more robust. :)
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:45 am

dgrant wrote:- I really liked the race report section at "that other place", but always wanted another section where people gave accounts of the event itself, separate from their personal performance. That way someone 'shopping' for their next race could check it out to get opinions and recommendations without filtering through each racers splits and potty break history, etc... (Don't get me wrong, I like reading about peoples' personal performances, but maybe in another spot)

This is a great idea. I will have to ponder how to name it so that the two sections are clear and not confused with each other.

- Somehow addressing the issue of the same beginner
questions resurfacing every two weeks. A beginners section could address some of the 20 or 30 most common beginner issues, so that people seeking answers could have a logical place to look first, and the rest of the board would not be cluttered with repetitive threads (ie. "What's this pain in my knee?" or "What does chip time mean?")
We would still get to 'meet' beginner runners in the other general threads.

How about if we did a FAQ board, and in it we could address both beginner questions and other FAQ's? Then it could be more of a reference for everyone.

Anyhow, I really support your effort to create a new discussion place. There are certainly aspects of "that other place" that I like(d), but I'm happy to see several of the same interesting contributors over here in a more independent setting. :D :D

There are things that I loved about it too--mainly the people contributing. Hopefully here we can engender the positive type of community that we know over there. :)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

jacob42.2
Bill Crothers

Postby jacob42.2 » Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:27 am

The FAQ is great idea Holly. Because the most general questions are always answered the same way...Sort of like a Running Dictionary.

RUNNING MANIA #2

Karin
Johnny Miles

Postby Karin » Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:46 am

Hey Holly
Great new board! Thanks for setting it up!

I like the idea of the beginners just jumping right in with no exclusivity. I LOVE the idea of an FAQ section though.

Karin

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:52 am

Karin wrote:Hey Holly
Great new board! Thanks for setting it up!

I like the idea of the beginners just jumping right in with no exclusivity. I LOVE the idea of an FAQ section though.

Karin

well, I've made a FAQ board now, and I need your guys' help filling it up! I started with a couple of questions and think up more as the day goes on. Of course, I am at work... lol.

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:18 pm

This is awesome! Thanks for setting it up, Holly! And thanks to Andy for turning me onto it!
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:19 pm

ladechat wrote:This is awesome! Thanks for setting it up, Holly! And thanks to Andy for turning me onto it!

welcome here!

BaldGuy
Jerome Drayton

Postby BaldGuy » Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:06 pm

Thanks for hosting us, Holly -- great job. As a sorta-newbie (to this group, anyway), it's nice that you want the new folks to just jump on in.

Thanks Jacob for sending me over here!

(now all I need is an avatar ... if I just had a running pic where I don't look like a dweeb!)
BG

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:09 pm

BaldGuy wrote:Thanks for hosting us, Holly -- great job. As a sorta-newbie (to this group, anyway), it's nice that you want the new folks to just jump on in.

Thanks Jacob for sending me over here!

(now all I need is an avatar ... if I just had a running pic where I don't look like a dweeb!)

welcome here!

Put up whatever pic you have, and don't worry too much about how you think you look. Who looks good when they're running anyway? We're all sweaty and stinky and tired. :)

jacob42.2
Bill Crothers

Postby jacob42.2 » Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:02 am

I think if you match, you could be in the final 150m stretch of a marathon that took 9 hours, and you'd still look great. :wink: Welcome BaldGuy, good to see you came out!

RUNNING MANIA #2

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:21 am

Just got a PM from Andy about this board...Jacob...I feel like I've found my long lost son :wink:

I was away during your "getting kicked off the island" week...and just caught the tail end of the uproar.

Holly...why do I feel so dumb ...I wouldn't have a clue how to set up a website. Gee...my project for the summer is getting an avatar posted!

Joanne
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

jacob42.2
Bill Crothers

Postby jacob42.2 » Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:30 am

Jo-Jo!! So nice to hear from you, welcome aboard! :D

RUNNING MANIA #2

Return to “Site News, Questions, and Comments”