Doonst Picks a half-dose of Poison

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Doonst Picks a half-dose of Poison

Postby Doonst » Mon May 03, 2010 9:50 pm

So it rained at Pick Your Poison trail race! Somebody should have warned me. The course for my 25 K race was 2 loops. Other distances of 12.5 K and 50 K all started together. It was a little busy at the start but just for a bit. The sun had come out just as we lined up to begin. It quickly clouded over, but stayed warm for the first loop. The course was very mixed: raw, fresh singletrack that was very hilly and winding, and faster sections of tractor roads made of sand or cedar chips. Splits went from 5 minutes to 8 minutes and back again. Some of the singletrack was downright miserable, other sections were huge fun. Also grass sections across or down the ski hills, and forest tracts too.

I was feeling okay but it seemed steady more than fast. By the end of the first loop I was soaked in sweat.This was probably my low point physically, starting to fade. Second loop, it started raining solid. It had sprinkled a bit up until now, just enough to make it humid. Soon the heavy rain cooled me off and I picked it up again. On the faster stuff I thought maybe I would be faster than the first loop, but the Garmin says just a touch slower. Then the rain took its toll on the course, especially the goofy new singletrack. Much of it was off-camber, going across a hill, and it was slick mucky going. Much slower on these sections, up to 90 seconds per K. Also here, I followed 2 guys off course for 400-450 metres, and the same again to backtrack. Cost us at least 5 minutes. So my second loop took 15 minutes more than the first, 1:14 and 1:29. At least my energy was good until the end, and I passed two guys on the final descent in a 3 minute kick. Official time was 2:43:46, good for 33 place out of 71 runners. Those 5 minutes didn't help me there, but I know we weren't the only ones who wandered a bit. I was drenched at the end, but at least I didn't actually go down in the mud as so many did. Lots of friendly faces before and after. There was a meal served indoors, even though the power was out from the thunderstorm. Swag was a jar of honey, a water bottle, and "Pick Your Poison" defeet socks.

That now shows as my slowest 25 K ever, even going back 5 years. Also have to wonder if the course wasn't short, as most Garmins showed. It doesn't matter to me if I ran a tough 25 K or 23 K, but if I had to explain why my first 50 K might have really been 45 or 46, I might be disappointed. Still, that's trail racing. All in all, a fun, challenging unique day on the trails.

Spur at 16 K is the off course bit.
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Re: Doonst Picks a half-dose of Poison

Postby ultraslacker » Mon May 03, 2010 9:55 pm

Doonst wrote:if I had to explain why my first 50 K might have really been 45 or 46, I might be disappointed. Still, that's trail racing. All in all, a fun, challenging unique day on the trails.

yeah I think it's the nature of the beast... it's hard to be super accurate on crazy trails! :)

That was an excellent time, though, even if it wasn't your best time; it sounds like a hard course with bad weather!
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Tue May 04, 2010 6:05 am

It would've been really hard to do that in the rain- it would absolutely make a difference to your time. How many trail races have you done in the rain- maybe you can start setting "in the rain" pbs. 8) That must've been a fast field if you were 33 out of 71, too.
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

blank
Bill Crothers

Postby blank » Tue May 04, 2010 6:40 am

Nice running Sheldon! It sounds and looks like quite the challenging course, especially in the rain. But, I bet it was a lot of fun.
I hope they found everyone that wandered off. :wink:

दिवंगत
Bill Crothers

Postby दिवंगत » Tue May 04, 2010 8:01 am

Tought day but you got it done! You trail runners are a bunch of crazies.... :lol:

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Tue May 04, 2010 8:17 am

Congrats, especially under the difficult circumstances!!

b_squared
Bill Crothers

Postby b_squared » Tue May 04, 2010 8:51 am

Seems like you had a victory just not going down in the mud!
Let's hope for better conditions at Sulphur.

West Grey Runner
Bill Crothers

Postby West Grey Runner » Tue May 04, 2010 8:54 am

Great report Doonst.

The course was short! I figured it was an 11.25K loop…I was quiet Ok with that, the OUS folks were making up for Seaton.

Finish times in a trail are really doing mean much. A better way to gauge yourself is where you placed in regards to the others. I just ran my two slowest 50Ks ever yet I am extremely pleased with my results.

Hope to see you in Mount Forest Saturday.

Robbie-T
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robbie-T » Tue May 04, 2010 9:25 am

ok trail running in the rain is just fun, lucky you, and great run!
Mississauga Marathon - 2:52
Around the Bay - 1:58
Click>> Race History
ItsMyRun.com

"If I'm running, it will be a good run" - Robbie-T

"I just hope that people look at it and say, 'Hey if this yahoo can do it, then I can do it too.' That'd be cool if people thought that. It's just a matter of putting the miles in and working. It's not so much how much talent you have. I hope." - Brian Sell.

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift." - Pre

ratherBrunning
Jerome Drayton

Postby ratherBrunning » Tue May 04, 2010 12:07 pm

I enjoyed the report! Nice job out there!!
Louise

Ken B
Lynn Williams

Postby Ken B » Tue May 04, 2010 2:48 pm

Nice report, Sheldon! It sounds like a tricky course and then throw in the rain! It appears that you coped really well

Congrats on yet another good 25 km trail race!!

AirForceRunner
Bill Crothers

Postby AirForceRunner » Wed May 05, 2010 12:04 am

RAIN!?! Whoda thunk it?
Sorry, but you knew that was coming. :lol:
Still kicking myself for missing this, but your description of that off-camber messy stuff....probably best I did.
Nice work Doonst. Seeya at Sulphur.
http://www.itsmyrun.com/?display=myrace ... orceRunner

2011 Wishlist
Sulphur Springs 50 miler
Dirty Girls 12 hr night run
Haliburton 100 miler (gulp!)

"Try the meditation of the trail, just walk along looking at the trail at your feet and don't look about and just fall into a trance as the ground zips by..."
-Jack Kerouac

"I am no longer a runner, I am now a father who runs. I will let the running come to me and I will make the most of every km I am fortunate enough to receive."
-Smack

mcshame
Sylvia Ruegger

Postby mcshame » Wed May 05, 2010 4:30 am

Sounds like messy fun, well done. I'll have to try a trail race one day.

Return to “Run/Race Reports”