Sudbury Rocks Marathon Report

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
Double Bellybuster
Bill Crothers

Sudbury Rocks Marathon Report

Postby Double Bellybuster » Sun May 02, 2010 9:12 pm

Best marathon value ever - a $45 early entry got me a great medal, a technical T not littered with advertising and entry into the small field race that was well planned, organized and executed, that had 21 aid stations and had purse money that amounted to $59.52 per entrant. Can't beat that. Great organization and as mentioned by others, this was the best-pyloned course ever. Only downside on a rainy day was that much of the course was on the well-pyloned side of open roads but hard rain meant running through lots of puddles where grates could not handle the volume of water quickly. Course got progressively tougher from 90 minutes on as a result due to pooling of water. Try this one out as an alternative to big city Ontario marathons.

Didn't quite get the time I was pacing toward at the start (miss by 1:52) and missed the even splits that I wanted as a result - but absolutely terrific otherwise! A PB by 7:46, my first sub-3:45 and first sub-3:40. Pacing was good relative to the field on the deteriorating course - I passed five runners on the second loop but was not passed by anyone on this back half.

A question for experienced marathoners:
- While I've pushed my fading point further in each of my three marathons and reduced the magnitude of impact, my pace dropped off marginally after 28K and moreso in the steady uphill from 39K-41K of this race. My pace to this time was appropriate (or marginally conservative) based on McMillan calculations and I gel and Gatorade as much as my innards can take. So my task for future marathon training is improved preparation for the back quarter of my marathons. Aside from increasing my longest run up from 32K in future marathon training, what else would you folks recommend? I have followed Higdon's Novice, Intermediate I and Intermediate II training for my first three marathons so I am up to 80K/week peak, with up to 16K pace runs the only speedwork aside from half marathons and 30K races that I plug into the schedule and race hard. Very happy with my performance today but would like to get rid of the 3 minute positive split. Will be following Higdon's Advanced I in the fall but can modify as necessary.

Thanks!

DB
I am fortunate to have Running Free as a sponsor. I like to keep silly stats and maps of my Daily Neighbourhood Tours, Races and Marathons run in a Silly Yellow Shirt.

seuss
Kevin Sullivan

Re: Sudbury Rocks Marathon Report

Postby seuss » Sun May 02, 2010 9:21 pm

nice PB - well done. hope you get the answers you are looking for.
2010 - gone viral?
2011 - mitochondrial mystery tour

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Mon May 03, 2010 8:10 am

Congrats especially on the PB

I ran the 1/2 in Sudbury last year, it was my first 1/2, and I liked the event as well. Sorry about the rain, some of those road are not the greatest so indeed it must have made it a little rough.

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Mon May 03, 2010 8:14 am

Sounds like a nice race.
And you ran a great race. :D
Hopefully the experienced marathoners will answer your questions!!
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

ratherBrunning
Jerome Drayton

Postby ratherBrunning » Mon May 03, 2010 11:23 am

Sweet PB--congrats!!
Louise

mcshame
Sylvia Ruegger

Postby mcshame » Fri May 07, 2010 6:26 am

Hey DB! Congrats on going sub 3:40! What was your actual result and your previous PB. I'm hoping to equal your accomplishment and it seems we are seeking the the same answers to find the Holy Grail. What your BQ target? (sneaky way of asking for your age group)

EDIT: lol...just looking at it's my run. Love how you projected your path to Boston...Perfect :) I'm hoping to get there 1 year earlier :wink:

Double Bellybuster
Bill Crothers

Postby Double Bellybuster » Fri May 07, 2010 8:02 am

Thanks McShame and glad you found the stats. (for others reading, it was improvement from 3:47:38 to 3:39:52 and BQ is 3:15:59, increasing to 3:20:59 in Fall 2011)

Yes - we're looking for the same holy grail. I should disclose that I currently have a bro-mance with your recent Half Marathon improvement from 1:44 to 1:32, that is awesome. How was this done again? Do I recall correctly the key workouts were tempo runs until uncomfortable and then a little bit more...?

You'll get your 3:39:59 in Ottawa - and I wouldn't be surprised if you beat that number by a lot. I imagine the training and perserverance you drew on in pushing late in that 1:32 Half will serve you well late in your marathon and all future races.

DB
I am fortunate to have Running Free as a sponsor. I like to keep silly stats and maps of my Daily Neighbourhood Tours, Races and Marathons run in a Silly Yellow Shirt.

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Fri May 07, 2010 8:10 am

Congrats on a great race and PB ... :P
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

mcshame
Sylvia Ruegger

Postby mcshame » Fri May 07, 2010 9:24 am

Double Bellybuster wrote:How was this done again? Do I recall correctly the key workouts were tempo runs until uncomfortable and then a little bit more...?

Actually, my tempo's were in the mid to high 4:25-4:30 pace, and I was frustrated that I didn't hit the low 4:20 on the tempo's.

I think the key was the increased mileage and the race day effect
Last edited by mcshame on Sat May 08, 2010 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Engmomma
Abby Hoffman

Postby Engmomma » Fri May 07, 2010 2:23 pm

So is it a hard course? I travel to Sudbury quite often and stay close to downtown if not downtown. It doesn't seem to matter where I am in Sudbury...there are always hills and lots of them. :wink:

Just wondering how ugly they get?
The Summer of Eng is over.

Double Bellybuster
Bill Crothers

Postby Double Bellybuster » Fri May 07, 2010 3:37 pm

Engmomma wrote:So is it a hard course? I travel to Sudbury quite often and stay close to downtown if not downtown. It doesn't seem to matter where I am in Sudbury...there are always hills and lots of them. :wink:

Just wondering how ugly they get?

Fairly average hillwise for an out-and-back course. Uphill stretches 13k-15K and 17.5K-20K but neither with more than 40m raise in eleveation. When the 17.5K to 20K uphill hits you 38.5K to 41K, it is tough but only due to where it falls in the race.

Lots of inside corners and uncontested water cup grabs on an empty course is a small timesaver.

A nice community event. Check it out.

Ken B
Lynn Williams

Postby Ken B » Fri May 07, 2010 5:28 pm

Great PB on a tough course!!

Congratulations!

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Sat May 08, 2010 3:50 pm

Very nice race-- congratulations on the huge PB. :)
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Return to “Run/Race Reports”