Caffeine?

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

AirForceRunner
Bill Crothers

Re: Caffeine?

Postby AirForceRunner » Wed May 12, 2010 6:47 am

QuickChick wrote:Oh come on. We're not telling the kid to smoke crack. Caffeine is the wonder drug if used in moderation. I do think it's probably a good idea to tell teenagers not to drink caffeine in general, as teenagers tend to overdo things and have them too much. We all know that a cup of coffee every day as an adult is a pretty normal thing to do. It's when adults drink coffee all day every day that there's an issue. If you drink coffee every day as a teenager, that might not be the best idea (could lead to drinking a lot more coffee as an adult). However, a coffee once in awhile isn't the end of the world and would probably give him a huge boost before a race (esp if he doesn't have it often).

Yes energy drinks are bad for you, and I would never make a habit of drinking them. It's probably good that ROW is not allowed to have them if there is a chance he could develop a habit of having them regularly. I don't drink pop often at all, and really I don't think energy drinks are that much different than Coke or Mountain Dew or whatever. HOWEVER, while I don't think they should be consumed regularly, I don't think there's a problem with drinking one a month or however often you need it before a race. They do really perk me up, and I get a better boost from them anyway if they're not something I have often. It's the people who drink them every day, and the people who drink them but then don't do anything that requires the "energy", who are really the problem. Those drinks are full of sugar and calories.

Caffeine pills... I don't think he was seriously considering those at all. I would never advocate taking caffeine pills- that's a bit different than a cup of coffee before a race IMO.

+1
I advised him coffee didn't work, that energy drinks were bad, and mentioned caffeine pills. However, I said "If he must use caffeine....", which means I don't think a young man of his age should be depending on this. However, I am not going to force my opinion on him. He's 15, not 5.
BTW...a Starbucks coffee has more caffeine than a caffeine tablet....just sayin. :)
http://www.itsmyrun.com/?display=myrace ... orceRunner

2011 Wishlist
Sulphur Springs 50 miler
Dirty Girls 12 hr night run
Haliburton 100 miler (gulp!)

"Try the meditation of the trail, just walk along looking at the trail at your feet and don't look about and just fall into a trance as the ground zips by..."
-Jack Kerouac

"I am no longer a runner, I am now a father who runs. I will let the running come to me and I will make the most of every km I am fortunate enough to receive."
-Smack

Double Bellybuster
Bill Crothers

Postby Double Bellybuster » Wed May 12, 2010 8:01 am

BrokeNeckRunner wrote:...He's 15, not 5...

Agreed, I don't think ROW is looking for us to baby him. Judging by his posts, I think he has a pretty good handle on his health and potential issues, likely moreso than 90%+ of the adults in Canada.
I am fortunate to have Running Free as a sponsor. I like to keep silly stats and maps of my Daily Neighbourhood Tours, Races and Marathons run in a Silly Yellow Shirt.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Wed May 12, 2010 8:13 am

Double Bellybuster wrote:
BrokeNeckRunner wrote:...He's 15, not 5...

Agreed, I don't think ROW is looking for us to baby him. Judging by his posts, I think he has a pretty good handle on his health and potential issues, likely moreso than 90%+ of the adults in Canada.

He also said he was already drinking one coffee-- hardly a concern.

My comment about commercial so-called "energy" drinks like Red Bull not being much more than caffeine and sugar was more a commentary on the industry-- I wasn't advising him to use it. I wouldn't advise anyone to use them. The industry market these things as amazing performance aids, but they don't do much more than a coffee with sugar does (and Mike's link confirms that). The fact that the school teams don't allow it is likely because there are some out there that do contain extra crap that no one needs-- and to make sure they don't look for the questionable unregulated stuff.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Darth Tater
Lynn Williams

Postby Darth Tater » Wed May 12, 2010 8:30 am

FishHog wrote:
ROW wrote:I think tomorrow i'll have a french vanilla in the morning. I have the 800 in the morning, then the 3000 later.

Just for the record. Real men don't drink "french vanilla"

:lol: :lol:
Darth Tater

"Wherever you go, there you are."

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Wed May 12, 2010 8:36 am

And, besides, you don't want Red Bull ... you want what BJ drinks ... Cheetah !!! :twisted: :twisted: :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hV-GwkjmCs4
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

DougG
Jerome Drayton

Postby DougG » Wed May 12, 2010 8:38 am

I took ROW's post to ask if his usual morning coffee will affect him, not that he was considering taking additional caffeine/stimulants. I would never recommend a 15 year old take stimulants of any kind. Keep in mind caffeine is a drug and a highly addictive drug, with some harmful side affects. Yes, most of us take it through our coffee, but we are adults (allegedly :lol: ).
And with all respect to ROW, he is only 15, so to assume he is well versed on the impact on various drugs & stimulants is questionable, in my opinion. Even if he is a smart young man, which I think he is.
injured
Snowflake 10k....stopped at 5k
Rest of the year a write off because of injury.
Snowflake 10k Jan 1 done
Run 4 Kids 10k Jan 7 done
Harry's Spring Run Off 8k. April 8 a disaster, but I finished
Centurion 50k at Horseshoe Valley (cycling) done
Centurion 50 miler at Blue Mountain (cycling) done.....barely!
Snowflake 5k, Dec 16 - done
Harry Rosen 8k. April. done
Rotary 5k fun run. May. done
CANI 10k. June. done
Canada Day 10k. July. done
Barrie Waterfront 5k. Aug. done
CANI 10 k. Oct. done
Base Borden Army Run 10k. done

Ironboy
Abby Hoffman

Postby Ironboy » Wed May 12, 2010 8:43 am

DougG wrote:I took ROW's post to ask if his usual morning coffee will affect him, not that he was considering taking additional caffeine/stimulants.

I agree with this part of your post.

The question wasn't when should I take my caffeine to maximize my performance, it was, if I take caffeine in the morning to wake me up and start my day, will I crash in the afternoon before my race.

The answer is "No". You'll be fine.

You don't need the caffeine for you races, the distances are fairly short for the benefits of caffeine anyway.

Now if you want to get hooked up with some HGH or EPO, that's another story, pm me, we'll talk ;) (just kidding)!!!!!

Pat Menzies
Bill Crothers

Postby Pat Menzies » Wed May 12, 2010 9:21 am

Caffeine can help your breathing in a shorter race, particularly if you suffer from EIA (which ROW does apparently).
I would consider it a viable alternative to getting addicted to a puffer in that scenario.
eta: I realize that there are just as many studies claiming the exact opposite (caffeine exacerbates asthma) but I would be willing to bet that those researchers never ran an indoor 800 with EIA.
Personal experience always counts for more than what's supposed to happen.
Check out my site, Bamboo Bikes by Pat Menzies, to see and order my handmade bike frames.

nikexc84
Percy Williams

Postby nikexc84 » Wed May 12, 2010 9:33 am

Row- Caffeine really isn't go to improve your performance in your races. Having your morning coffee isn't going to affect your performance. Taking caffeine pills or drinking red bull won't help either. What will help you is to stay hydrated and be relaxed, loose before your race. Make sure you have a good breakfast. Listen to your coach. I've coached in the past the last kid I coached was your age and he won 2 provincial titles and a National Legion title at steeplechase (PB 4:34 1500 steeple). Those are some good pb's to start with. My advice to you is to work hard and be consistent with your training that will give you good results. My track pbs were 400 -51.2, 800m 1:56.5, 1500m -3:55, 3000m - 8:25, 3000ms/c
8:58, 5k 14:15 and 10km 30:02. I also ran road races and cross country competing at nationals many times. Good luck with your races.

Cheers

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Wed May 12, 2010 9:42 am

Ironboy wrote:
DougG wrote:I took ROW's post to ask if his usual morning coffee will affect him, not that he was considering taking additional caffeine/stimulants.

I agree with this part of your post.

The question wasn't when should I take my caffeine to maximize my performance, it was, if I take caffeine in the morning to wake me up and start my day, will I crash in the afternoon before my race.

The answer is "No". You'll be fine.

You don't need the caffeine for you races, the distances are fairly short for the benefits of caffeine anyway.

Now if you want to get hooked up with some HGH or EPO, that's another story, pm me, we'll talk ;) (just kidding)!!!!!

+1

If drinking coffee in the morning is part of your regular routine, then I would continue to do that.

I have no opinion on what effect taking in any more caffeine (or other stimulant) later in the day will have on your performance.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Darth Tater
Lynn Williams

Postby Darth Tater » Wed May 12, 2010 9:52 am

Here's what you need:

Darth Tater

"Wherever you go, there you are."

canalrunner
Bill Crothers

Postby canalrunner » Wed May 12, 2010 11:33 am

Canalrunner say he likes how a question posed by ROW looking for advice has now morphed into a discussion about ROW in the third person. He wonders now how ROW approached his day and how he did in his races. Wise, is he.
The longest journey begins with a single step.
2016 Races
May: Ottawa Marathon

VeloCarrie
Abby Hoffman

Postby VeloCarrie » Wed May 12, 2010 12:00 pm

canalrunner wrote:Canalrunner say he likes how a question posed by ROW looking for advice has now morphed into a discussion about ROW in the third person. He wonders now how ROW approached his day and how he did in his races. Wise, is he.

Running is cheaper than therapy and I need a lot of therapy.

I solemnly swear that I'm up to no good. ~Harry Potter
Get off the friggin' assfalt and run dirt. ~Strider

What doesn't kill me will only make me stronger.

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Wed May 12, 2010 12:25 pm

canalrunner wrote:Canalrunner say he likes how a question posed by ROW looking for advice has now morphed into a discussion about ROW in the third person. He wonders now how ROW approached his day and how he did in his races. Wise, is he.

Kids do get talked about as if they are not there.
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

Pat Menzies
Bill Crothers

Postby Pat Menzies » Wed May 12, 2010 1:13 pm

Would this be a good thread to introduce the performance benefits of the nicotine patch? :P
Check out my site, Bamboo Bikes by Pat Menzies, to see and order my handmade bike frames.

AirForceRunner
Bill Crothers

Postby AirForceRunner » Wed May 12, 2010 1:20 pm

Pat Menzies wrote:Would this be a good thread to introduce the performance benefits of the nicotine patch? :P

Hey...Tour de France riders smoked before stages in the 20's under the belief that nicotine was a performance enhancer. Some folks will do anything...LOL!!!
Wasn't there a line in Born to Run that stated a survey showed that 20% of people would take a dramatic increase in performance at the cost of dying the next year. Sound a little sensational, but still..... :shock:
http://www.itsmyrun.com/?display=myrace ... orceRunner

2011 Wishlist
Sulphur Springs 50 miler
Dirty Girls 12 hr night run
Haliburton 100 miler (gulp!)

"Try the meditation of the trail, just walk along looking at the trail at your feet and don't look about and just fall into a trance as the ground zips by..."
-Jack Kerouac

"I am no longer a runner, I am now a father who runs. I will let the running come to me and I will make the most of every km I am fortunate enough to receive."
-Smack

Double Bellybuster
Bill Crothers

Postby Double Bellybuster » Wed May 12, 2010 1:22 pm

BrokeNeckRunner wrote:...a survey showed that 20% of people would take a dramatic increase in performance at the cost of dying the next year.

Was the survey called Major League Baseball?
I am fortunate to have Running Free as a sponsor. I like to keep silly stats and maps of my Daily Neighbourhood Tours, Races and Marathons run in a Silly Yellow Shirt.

canalrunner
Bill Crothers

Postby canalrunner » Thu May 13, 2010 10:06 am

Double Bellybuster wrote:
BrokeNeckRunner wrote:...a survey showed that 20% of people would take a dramatic increase in performance at the cost of dying the next year.

Was the survey called Major League Baseball?

That is funny. :lol: :lol: :lol: and true.......and sad.
The longest journey begins with a single step.
2016 Races
May: Ottawa Marathon

Stephan
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stephan » Fri May 14, 2010 8:07 pm

Coffee, Tea and Cocaine........you can't beat it!!! It's a food group! Keeps you runnin and keeps you livin!!

Albertatraildog
Bruce Kidd

Postby Albertatraildog » Sat May 15, 2010 12:08 am

I wouldn't even think about racing without a cup of joe.
Of course timing is everything.
45 min before the event works best for me.
a. it does give you a stimulant effect
b. it does reduce the perception of fatigue
c. it does clean out the digestive tract... just be sure to visit the porta potty before the race starts.
In long races (50k+) I will take a caffeinated gel or two. In very very long races (100km+) I will carry caffeine pills, although I certainly wouldn't recommend either for a track race.
The caffeine pills come in handy when darkness falls.

Albertatraildog
Bruce Kidd

Postby Albertatraildog » Sat May 15, 2010 12:10 am

Pat Menzies wrote:Caffeine can help your breathing in a shorter race, particularly if you suffer from EIA (which ROW does apparently).
I would consider it a viable alternative to getting addicted to a puffer in that scenario.
eta: I realize that there are just as many studies claiming the exact opposite (caffeine exacerbates asthma) but I would be willing to bet that those researchers never ran an indoor 800 with EIA.
Personal experience always counts for more than what's supposed to happen.

+1

Return to “General Running Discussion”