What to wear.

Clothing, accessories, equipment, etc.
Scotty
Bill Crothers

What to wear.

Postby Scotty » Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:23 pm

Okay, if this topic has been covered point me in the right direction give me a boot and disregard this post.

I was out to Winner's yesterday with CAW and the unholy brood. So while she is looking for something to run in I do the same.

I find a large array of possible choices. Now I am not usually that bad when it comes to shopping, usually and I can hold my own. However after a short bit I started to realize I had nary a friggin' clue what I was looking for.

*To interject an aside, or ranting monolgue, not quite Shakespearian but*
I noticed several "Basketball style shirts." Though the size indicated a medium, sometimes a large the amount of length in these things were ridiculous! If I bought a nice conservative, and coordinating belt I'd have a nice sporty knee length dress that would look killer with a pair of designer flats!
You have got to be kidding me.
I digress.
*end rant*

There were a number of Company's represented. New Balance, Nike, Reebok, and Asics to name the big brand name ones I can remember. each one of them had their own funky brand of wicking-water-away-from-skin-type-technology, (associated with this is the equally powerful wicking-money-away-from-wallet-technology too)

So what I really wnat to know is what brand is the most preferred here and why? I have a couple of opinions, but I am not an expert...and by expert I mean I have been taking this serious for less than a month and my previous gear was an issued T-shirt.

Thanks y'all for humoring me again.
For me life is continuously being hungry. The meaning of life is not simply to exist, to survive, but to move ahead, to go up, to achieve, to conquer.
~Arnold Schwarzenegger

"Everybody pities the weak; jealousy, you have to earn."

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:37 pm

You're too cute...you do realize that you are probably going to make Addict in record time...hmmm...is this something to be proud of :shock: :wink:

I love Sugoi...but it is pricey...and pretty well sold at Independant stores...hmmm...that might change...think they just got bought out by a US company.

I would not worry so much about brand name...as fit...and that it is wicking material.

Course...as a little running fashionista...I might add...lookin good is what it's all about!!!

Joanne
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

BJH
Lynn Williams

Postby BJH » Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:48 pm

Most of my running gear is Nike since I have access to the employee store twice a year and that makes the price attractive.

My 30k ATB race shirt is New Balance and I quite like the fit on it.

My favourite cycling shorts are Sugoi.

My shoes are Aasics.

Everything is technical fabric. Otherwise, my major considerations are fit, price and colour, somewhat in that order.
Last edited by BJH on Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The road to hell is paved. Run trails.

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:48 pm

Scotty,

In my opinion, the only must-haves are good running shoes (not necessarily expensive, but carefully selected), and moisture-wicking shirts. All the other stuff (specialty socks, shorts, pants, etc.) are nice if you want 'em, but I think you can make do without them. I wear regular cotton socks with no problem, although I know many people say they get blisters with cotton socks. I wear regular running/tennis/basketball shorts, my only purchasing criterion is CHEAP. In the winter, any old pants will do for me. There's so much blood flow in your legs that if it weren't for the exposed skin, you could wear shorts. I don't know anybody who gets cold legs. The only temperature issue I get in the winter is the chill that sets in after the run when I'm all sweaty but no longer moving.

I have wicking shirts from Nike, Fila, Brooks, Head, New Balance, Adidas, Under-Armour... I have yet to find one that sucks. I don't worry about brand names. One thing about wicking material you may find is it's hard to keep it smelling perfectly fresh, so ya probably aren't going to be wearing it during non-workout times anyway.

I would definitely direct my funds to shoes and shirts.

PS - I would maybe invest in one 'racing outfit'. You get your picture taken a lot on raceday, and race pics are a cool souvenir, so you don't want to look like a dork that day.

RunDiva
Bill Crothers

Re: What to wear.

Postby RunDiva » Thu Sep 01, 2005 2:54 pm

Scotty Hortonville wrote:There were a number of Company's represented. New Balance, Nike, Reebok, and Asics to name the big brand name ones I can remember. each one of them had their own funky brand of wicking-water-away-from-skin-type-technology, (associated with this is the equally powerful wicking-money-away-from-wallet-technology too)

Hysterical! :lol:
But it makes so much sense!

I don't have a preferred brand for clothes. Whatever fits well, looks good, and is within the budget. Make sure your shirts aren't too tight under the arms- could cause chafing. I won't compromise on shoes- Aasics for me.

BTW dgrant- my legs get cold in the winter. :wink:
Bring on the thermal wear!

Portentous
Bill Crothers

Postby Portentous » Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:02 pm

Be careful at winners. They don't always have good running gear. A lot of the stuff as you saw is for other sports like basketball, and soccer. Often these other sports shirts have extra stitching or garbage on them that is VERY bad for running. When you put it on it should fit smooth like a regular t-shirt. If you feel too much of the shirt, stick with regular cotton for now.

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Re: What to wear.

Postby dgrant » Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:45 pm

RunDiva wrote:

BTW dgrant- my legs get cold in the winter. :wink:
Bring on the thermal wear!

Oops, I spoke too soon... :oops:

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:26 pm

My legs get cold too. I just invested in some new tights from MEC and I have high hopes for them.
If it ain’t broke, run through it -- Strider

Monk
Bruce Kidd

Postby Monk » Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:52 pm

I use a fair amount of Nike and New Balance items. ... well, thats my whole wardrobe for running, however, I am tempted to try some sugoi (after all the raving around here about it)... Nike seems to make some really comfortable shorts.. New Balance great shirts for slim guy like me.
I do have and use some stuff from "that other place" that works well for me.
I use Wright socks on me feet covered by Asics shoes..
Thats the whole inventory..

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:57 pm

I have Nike, New Balance, Everlast (not really made for running, but comfy), DeFeet, Adidas...

If you're unsure of what to buy, go to the RR and see what kinds of clothing they offer, as it's all running-specific... then go back to Winners and look for the same stuff (or similar).
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Racer
Tom Longboat

Postby Racer » Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:44 pm

Oh my I have a hard time buying these types of clothes. I'm very sensitive to the chemical finishes on fabrics---I have two Nike shirts that I can't even wear because they irritate my skin to no end. And whatever the chemical finish is, I CAN'T seem to wash it out. :(

100% coolmax fabric is supposed to be untreated, and most of Sugoi's clothing is untreated as well. So that's what I'll be looking for next time I shop. 8)

Scotty
Bill Crothers

Postby Scotty » Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:32 am

A lot of food for thought here. :D

So far from what I have seen I like the Nike style shirts, and the NB, but the NB was surprisingly heavy feeling....And frankly I've never heard of Sugoi before- sounds like something from a Sushi buffet or something...

Don't worry- my priority is to get some new kicks for my feets...But fatboy here is getting tired of cotton shirts that hold the sweat and begin feeling like a straight jacket after five minutes of work.... :oops:

Thanks. :D
For me life is continuously being hungry. The meaning of life is not simply to exist, to survive, but to move ahead, to go up, to achieve, to conquer.
~Arnold Schwarzenegger

"Everybody pities the weak; jealousy, you have to earn."

RayMan
Jerome Drayton

Postby RayMan » Fri Sep 02, 2005 7:19 am

By the way, the word sugoi is Japanese for "great!". Honestly!

RunDiva
Bill Crothers

Postby RunDiva » Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:29 am

Not sure if you guys have a Costco anywhere near you but I've found some pretty good technical clothes there too.

lisaannr
Abby Hoffman

Postby lisaannr » Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:06 am

I believe Running Skirts are definately now on the must have list. :lol:

Lisa

Return to “Gearing Up”