The up and downs of Doonst's Creemore VC 25K

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:43 am

All in all is should be no surprise that the headlines for Saturday's race were
Tough Course
Hot Sun
Friendly People
Free Beer!

Easy races are all alike; every tough course is tough in its own way.
-Leo Tolstoy, Anna Karenina, somewhat paraphrased.

Creemore vertical challenge pretty much lived up to its billing. There was a little bit of flat trail at the start, and some brief sections of flat road in the middle, but most of the time it was a curious mix of long, short steep and slight hills. Although not everyone remembers it the same, there were fast downhill sections, its just that the uphills took so much longer that they dominated our memories. I do remember thinking on a flat road stretch midrace, that it was annoying and hard! I would prefer downhill so it was easier and faster, or uphill so I could have a reason to walk. I ran consecutive sub 5 minute splits midrace as well as multiple 8 plus minutes. It all averaged out in the end to around 6 minute pace: 25 K in 2:30:09. More roads than other trail races, it was not technical but the hills just took time. That was 12 minutes more for me than Sulphur Springs; I had hoped to be closer to that time but who knows, every day is its own race.

Sure it was hot, but not crazy hot; still it was always a factor. There was some shade, but lots of exposed sunny roads and fields. I swear there was 5 minutes of wispy cloud cover in the first half. I'm also sure that it got hotter for those doing a second loop. I figure it was mid 20's for us, rising to 30 later in the day. Not as humid as Sulphur so its hard to compare. I did carry a large water bottle and didn't quite finish it. Still, the cold river water was just the thing after. Overall I kept thinking of the hotter days we've had and are about to; it could have been worse.

Such a social race. I don't know if it was the size, or that it is held at the race director's house or what. Started with carpooling with Robbie-T, its been too long buddy. Always a treat. The catching up with Maniacs before the race, especially Kinga's stories of the Bruce Trail quest. Then the extended road sections seemed to promote chatting, compared to trails it was so easy to pull up beside somebody and introduce yourself. From Viking's side of the Bruce Trail adventure, to ultra legends, to people doing there first 25, it was great. West Grey was there for a bit. ScottP dropped by around midway before going ahead. Then there was AnnElizabeth, we seemed to leapfrog most of the first half, I always felt like I saw her pulling away. Then we ran most of the second half together. Such a nice person, but man is she an awful singer! At least twice I thought she was crying out in pain, but no she was just butchering some poor unsuspecting song. At the finish she sprinted across the last field, and as I tried to match my calfs said no thanks, do you want to cross the line screaming in pain? Literally within sights of the tents, was the first sign of cramping, so I guess I pushed just hard enough.

Then after the race, what a scene lounging around. Pizza, doughnut, bagels, beer. Grassy shade, a fire??, and of course the river to sit in. I went totally under eventually, it was cool. At any given time there was about 5-10 in the river, and twice that sitting beside it. Mostly saying, were they ever glad they weren't starting a second loop like the 50 K fools. Even some who had signed up for 50. Airforcer won his shallonge, good stuff. Anyways it was good times, did I mention the free beer?

Speaking of good times, how about that Robbie-T? 4th place in a tough crowd, all the names were there, if not the rumoured Kenyan. 4 people came in under 2 hours and my chauffeur was one of them, how cool is that. I gotta see him race trails someday, what a sight it would be.

I don't know how I'll feel next week, but I must admit that on the course and even after I am having mixed feelings about doing a 50 K. I sure would have to dial the intensity back a fair bit, in order to last out for a second loop. I'm sure I could finish, I just have to decide if that's something I really want to do. I mean, I do and I don't. We'll see. 25 is such a nice distance.

I believe I came in 38th, out of about 120? I also think I was 7th in my age group. Should have gained a few places in the series standings.
Big thanks to Chainsaw Baby! You put on quite a spread, such a great place for a gathering.

Last edited by Doonst on Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Re: The up and downs of Doonst's Creemore VC 25K

Postby HCcD » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:53 am

Congrats, Sheldon ...

Free Beer and Pizza ?? :shock: :shock: I definitely must do one of these crazy events in the future .... :shifty: :lol: :wink:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

दिवंगत
Bill Crothers

Postby दिवंगत » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:24 am

Another under your belt Sheldon, good job! As you might read my RR's for tri tips, I read yours for trail race info; less than a week until my trail race debut, thanks for all the tips!

VeloCarrie
Abby Hoffman

Postby VeloCarrie » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:31 am

Nothing beats free beer. Congratulations on a tough race!
Running is cheaper than therapy and I need a lot of therapy.

I solemnly swear that I'm up to no good. ~Harry Potter
Get off the friggin' assfalt and run dirt. ~Strider

What doesn't kill me will only make me stronger.

Robbie-T
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robbie-T » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:54 am

Doonst it was my pleasure to spend the best part of Saturday with you.
You ran a very solid race - 7th in your age category is a superb result.

If you like hilly courses then that was a fun one.
Mississauga Marathon - 2:52
Around the Bay - 1:58
Click>> Race History
ItsMyRun.com

"If I'm running, it will be a good run" - Robbie-T

"I just hope that people look at it and say, 'Hey if this yahoo can do it, then I can do it too.' That'd be cool if people thought that. It's just a matter of putting the miles in and working. It's not so much how much talent you have. I hope." - Brian Sell.

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift." - Pre

Sir Crashalot
Abby Hoffman

Postby Sir Crashalot » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:55 am

Great job!
& free beer!
:D
Image Fortes Fortuna Juvat!
In support of injured Canadian Forces soldiers, please donate to Soldier On! http://www.cfpsa.com/Splashpages/SoldierOn/
Never really ready but always ready!

Mid_Packer
Bruce Kidd

Postby Mid_Packer » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:25 am

Well done Sheldon, an as always a very good report..thanks for sharing.

Given the temps' I'm glad I didn't try this one, but maybe someday.

Dave
'10 ATB 2:27, Boston 3:43, Missga 3:42, Sulphur Spring 25k, Niagara 50, ITT,Toad 50, Marine Corp M,
09 Chilly 1:43; ATB 2:37, Boston 3:50, Missuga Mara 3:49, Run for Toad 25k 2:22, Oakville half 1:51, Detroit 3:45
'08 Chilly 1:42; ATB 2:31; Miss Mara 3:43, Westover, Erie (DNF), Detroit 3:36
'07 Chilly 1:45, Detroit 3:50
'92-93 Half 1:27; Detroit 3:10, Boston 3:56

casual-runner
Bill Crothers

Postby casual-runner » Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:01 pm

Well done Sheldon :clap: Don't give up on that 50K - I am also curious what would be your experience before I jump and try it myself :)
My race log: http://itsmyrun.com
My training log: http://runningahead.com

----

blank
Bill Crothers

Postby blank » Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:33 pm

Way to go Sheldon, great report for what sounds like a really fun race.

5km
Bill Crothers

Postby 5km » Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:43 pm

Congrats. Well done!

b_squared
Bill Crothers

Postby b_squared » Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:12 pm

Your reports always capture the spirit of the race, and this report is no exception. Fun times and a good tough run! Way to go Doonst!

AirForceRunner
Bill Crothers

Postby AirForceRunner » Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:49 pm

Once again, always a pleasure racing with you Doonst. I've gotta admit...those shorts...I could see them for 500 metres for the first 6 km or so. It was VERY tempting to give chase. I'm glad I didn't, as I don't think I had a 2:30 in me.
Strong run on one VERY tough course. And I'm surprised your heart didn't stop from that full body dip..that water was colder than the beer. :lol:
http://www.itsmyrun.com/?display=myrace ... orceRunner

2011 Wishlist
Sulphur Springs 50 miler
Dirty Girls 12 hr night run
Haliburton 100 miler (gulp!)

"Try the meditation of the trail, just walk along looking at the trail at your feet and don't look about and just fall into a trance as the ground zips by..."
-Jack Kerouac

"I am no longer a runner, I am now a father who runs. I will let the running come to me and I will make the most of every km I am fortunate enough to receive."
-Smack

ian
Jerome Drayton

Postby ian » Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:52 pm

Nice race. You'll get your 50K when it's time, and so long as you use the first 25K as an easy warmup, the extra distance won't be a big deal.

West Grey Runner
Bill Crothers

Postby West Grey Runner » Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:53 pm

Great seeing you Doonst , you had great results…congratulations on strong finish. OK on the 25K vs 50K thing, if I remembered how I felt on my second loop I would never run again! I haven’t had a really good 50K outing this year , the last 10-20K has been an exercise in how much misery I can endure. I am not sure why I keep going back for more and I can assure you that you’re really not missing out on anything. It would have been fun racing you, AFR, AnneElizabeth, and RobbieT …. ( OK , racing RobbieT….only in my dreams).

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:26 pm

Cool! You ran well, and it was a gorgeous day for a race. I'm glad it was such a great day and that you didn't wimp out on the hills! :twisted:
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

UltraQueenga
Jerome Drayton

Postby UltraQueenga » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:47 pm

Congratulations on another solid 25k!
Nice meaty report, too. The Creemore course is punishing, so I'm thinking everyone is there for the post-race party.
Ultrarunner again

ratherBrunning
Jerome Drayton

Postby ratherBrunning » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:13 am

Nice job! Congratulations!!
Louise

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:25 am

sounds like a great event!

IMO 50k is MORE fun than 25k because you get to be out there longer, enjoying the course and the people, taking your time, eating the good food. ;) Twice the fun! :)
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:47 pm

Sounds like a tough one and in my opinion you did great! Nicely done.

Nothing wrong with dialing back the pace a bit to finish twice the distance, as long as the training is there. :)
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

CinC
Lynn Williams

Postby CinC » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:36 am

Well done Sheldon!
Race Hard. Race Happy.

Return to “Run/Race Reports”