Steady Tuesday

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

Marg
Site Admin

Re: Steady Tuesday

Postby Marg » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:14 am

Going to yoga in a few minutes to loosen up my body and mind.
Track tonight... gulp.

I have been a one trick pacer since last fall, speed is going to feel so foreign. Well I probably won't have any at all, so I'll just look at this as laps. ha!
Chilly 1/2 - March 4
Montreal 1/2 - April 29
NCM 1/2 - May 27
Manitoba 1/2 - June 17
Army 1/2 - Sept

toobusy
Jerome Drayton

Postby toobusy » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:20 am

6k done @ 8:27. Was supposed to be 19k, but wasn't feeling the love. Spotted Lightening at the end of her run, and she gave me a pep talk :wink:

I will LSD tomorrow.

chunkymonkeymelonhed
Lynn Williams

Postby chunkymonkeymelonhed » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:26 am

10K will happen tonight.
On the books for 2017:
50th Birthday!!
Boston Marathon- April 17th what a day- DREAM COME TRUE :dance:
Run for Water 10K- May 28th
Scotia Half - June 25th
Trail River Run half marathon- Sept. 30- CANCELLED
MEC 10K Race 10- Nov. 5

erinmcd
Bill Crothers

Postby erinmcd » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:27 am

purdy65 wrote:
Lovely moring, but the sun is rising later and later. :(

Lisa

I know- today was the first morning that I reverted back to my winter routine- ie following the streetlight around the perimeter of the town rather than heading through the Provincial Park, and carrying a flashlight (after almost getting run over yesterday morning). Bummer. :(
Keep on rolling, just a mile to go. Keep on rolling my old buddy, you're moving much too slow.

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:29 am

erinmcd wrote:
purdy65 wrote:
Lovely moring, but the sun is rising later and later. :(

Lisa

I know- today was the first morning that I reverted back to my winter routine- ie following the streetlight around the perimeter of the town rather than heading through the Provincial Park, and carrying a flashlight (after almost getting run over yesterday morning). Bummer. :(

I hear ya, after Labour Day Weekend (err, Disneyland 1/2), I think my body will be needing for sleep and will likely be doing my runs in the afternoon/evenings, where there is light ... :?

At least, now, one of the advantages of running in the 'hoods at 4am or 5am is that there are street lights along my routes and, absolutely no roadkill, at least, so far ... :shock: :?
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

runJrun
Bill Crothers

Postby runJrun » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:32 am

I have to say I am always amazed at how many of you get out so early in the morning and run such impressive distances. I have tried to get up and run but just cannot. I need to be up for at least an hour and a half with some solid food in me. I am definitely an afternoon/evening runner. I can swim in the morning though... Anyway, 10km on the books for today and then tonight off to see Cirque de Soleil - Alegria. So excited!
Jocelyn

I run because it's my passion, and not just a sport. Every time I walk out the door, I know why I'm going where I'm going and I'm already focused on that special place where I find my peace and solitude. Running, to me, is more than just a physical exercise...it's a consistent reward for victory!
- Sasha Azevedo

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:43 am

runJrun wrote:I have to say I am always amazed at how many of you get out so early in the morning and run such impressive distances.

Yup, both Lisa and Sylvie et al. sure are Maniacs, I tell ya .. :shifty: :wink:

erinmcd
Bill Crothers

Postby erinmcd » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:20 pm

runJrun wrote:I have to say I am always amazed at how many of you get out so early in the morning and run such impressive distances. I have tried to get up and run but just cannot. I need to be up for at least an hour and a half with some solid food in me. I am definitely an afternoon/evening runner. I can swim in the morning though... Anyway, 10km on the books for today and then tonight off to see Cirque de Soleil - Alegria. So excited!

I think a lot of us early morning runners do it out of necessity rather than choice. If I had the time I would much rather do it in the evening, but with kids and everything else going on, it's before everyone else is awake or not at all.
The hard thing about going early is that energy level is low- I can't run nearly as hard at 5am as I can at 5pm. Oh well- I'll make do with the it the best I can.
Keep on rolling, just a mile to go. Keep on rolling my old buddy, you're moving much too slow.

kpoire
Bill Crothers

Postby kpoire » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:24 pm

mjkg wrote:... Not sure whether I will run on the canal at lunch or not...

29min on the canal. Seemed very busy today. Passed by someone that looked like IB...

Joe Dwarf
Bill Crothers

Postby Joe Dwarf » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:24 pm

Debating whether to go for a short one or not. Still mildly stiff from racing on Sunday but no worse than a day or two after a long training run. Probably head out for an easy half-hour this evening.

Pat29
Bill Crothers

Postby Pat29 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:27 pm

I think a lot of us early morning runners do it out of necessity rather than choice. If I had the time I would much rather do it in the evening, but with kids and everything else going on, it's before everyone else is awake or not at all.
The hard thing about going early is that energy level is low- I can't run nearly as hard at 5am as I can at 5pm. Oh well- I'll make do with the it the best I can.

I run early for the same reason. My daughter is 10 months old now so getting up early to run while everyone else is sleeping is the best time for me to run the distances I need to train for a fall marathon.
[b]2016 Races:[b]

January - Richmond Road Races 10 km 41:06
March - St Patrick's Day 10 km 41:31
April - Minto Run for Reach half-marathon 1:28:56
May - Sporting Life 10 km - 41:10
May - Ottawa Marathon - 3:26:37
September - Army Run

My running blog: http://www.thecourageoflungs.com

BaldGuy
Jerome Drayton

Postby BaldGuy » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:28 pm

A pitiful (and exhausting) 10 minutes in the pool after searching the house for an hour for my goggles (note to self: look in the trunk of the car FIRST next time). I'm so out of shape, it's kinda funny (in a pathetic way). Probably didn't help that I used the weight room yesterday for the first time in years. This is all going to get easier ... just not this week, right? ;-)
BG

mcshame
Sylvia Ruegger

Postby mcshame » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:28 pm

I had a planed run that was to be 10km, the route I plotted was 12k. I went up week Hill rd...lord, the climb was crazy, it just kept going and going and going (toward Mount Mansfield direction). I needed to find a left turn, made a wrong one, had to backtrack. Then stopped a guy driving a truck if I would eventually get to the highway 108, "yah, about 4-5 miles more". Turn around to backtrack, but changed my mind, I was loving this trail road. Get to a turnoff that I remembered from a map, it led me to a Harvey's fork, tried each path and backtracked each time. Continued on the original road, had a HUGE drop in elevation that went on forever...Wheeeee!!! I was going 3:15's :D FUN! then I found the 108 and headed back home. I think I did just under 16k and loved every minute of it (well, almost). More running tomorrow!

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:31 pm

Pat29 wrote:

I run early for the same reason. My daughter is 10 months old now so getting up early to run while everyone else is sleeping is the best time for me to run the distances I need to train for a fall marathon.

Or, some of us just can't sleep ... :shock: :lol: :wink: :oops: :oops: :oops: and, the fact that I would rather run in 16C-20C early am then at 30-40C humidex in pm ... otherwise, I'd probably be hitting the hamstermill in the afternoon's these past weeks/months :? :?

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:38 pm

I'm a morning person, and have been my whole life. The idea of getting my runs in and having the rest of the day to go about my life is the only way I can manage. If I ran at night I could find all kinds of excuses not to run - tired, ate too much dinner, plans get in the way. In the morning there is only 1 excuse - couldn't get out of bed!

Don't try to have a coherent conversation with me after 9:30 though.

Luckily DH has a similar circadian rhythm! :D

Lisa
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:43 pm

BaldGuy wrote:A pitiful (and exhausting) 10 minutes in the pool after searching the house for an hour for my goggles (note to self: look in the trunk of the car FIRST next time). I'm so out of shape, it's kinda funny (in a pathetic way). Probably didn't help that I used the weight room yesterday for the first time in years. This is all going to get easier ... just not this week, right? ;-)

yes it will get easier, but only if you keep at it! :)
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Darth Tater
Lynn Williams

Postby Darth Tater » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:39 pm

30 minutes @ 7.0 mph on the TM at lunch, 2 minute cool down. 5.79 km total, 5:32/km.
Darth Tater

"Wherever you go, there you are."

chunkymonkeymelonhed
Lynn Williams

Postby chunkymonkeymelonhed » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:40 pm

HCmD wrote:
runJrun wrote:I have to say I am always amazed at how many of you get out so early in the morning and run such impressive distances.

Yup, both Lisa and Sylvie et al. sure are Maniacs, I tell ya .. :shifty: :wink:

Pot calling kettle

just sayin' :wink:
On the books for 2017:
50th Birthday!!
Boston Marathon- April 17th what a day- DREAM COME TRUE :dance:
Run for Water 10K- May 28th
Scotia Half - June 25th
Trail River Run half marathon- Sept. 30- CANCELLED
MEC 10K Race 10- Nov. 5

mcshame
Sylvia Ruegger

Postby mcshame » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:55 pm

mcshame wrote:I had a planed run that was to be 10km, the route I plotted was 12k. I went up week Hill rd...lord, the climb was crazy, it just kept going and going and going (toward Mount Mansfield direction). I needed to find a left turn, made a wrong one, had to backtrack. Then stopped a guy driving a truck if I would eventually get to the highway 108, "yah, about 4-5 miles more". Turn around to backtrack, but changed my mind, I was loving this trail road. Get to a turnoff that I remembered from a map, it led me to a Harvey's fork, tried each path and backtracked each time. Continued on the original road, had a HUGE drop in elevation that went on forever...Wheeeee!!! I was going 3:15's :D FUN! then I found the 108 and headed back home. I think I did just under 16k and loved every minute of it (well, almost). More running tomorrow!

Just drove my route for tomorrow, about 26k. Hilly with long climbs (and drops) but it seemed sane. Beautiful scenery along a stream to Lake Mansfield. As long as I don't meet a bear, it's gonna be great. I think I'm having too much fun here!

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:05 pm

La wrote:Run after work. Not sure if I'll go to the track with the group or just do my own thing.

I ended up running 4K in 23:23 this afternoon.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

moof324
Bill Crothers

Postby moof324 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:11 pm

erinmcd wrote:
runJrun wrote:I have to say I am always amazed at how many of you get out so early in the morning and run such impressive distances. I have tried to get up and run but just cannot. I need to be up for at least an hour and a half with some solid food in me. I am definitely an afternoon/evening runner. I can swim in the morning though... Anyway, 10km on the books for today and then tonight off to see Cirque de Soleil - Alegria. So excited!

I agree. I run in the a.m. by necessity, not choice. I carpool with Eric now, so my only chance to run is at lunch...but I normally don't have time for a 2-hour lunch, which is how long it takes me to get to the gym, run for a while (and lift a little), shower, and get back to my office. However, things are going to slow down starting next week, so once the weather breaks a little, I'll be running outdoors from my office at lunch whenever I can. Lake view!
2010: Cautiously coming back from 14 months of injury!
June 12: Race for the Cure 5K, Raleigh
June 26: Legal Run-Around 5K, Wilmington (28:51, PR!)
Jan. 8-9, 2011: Goofy!

Marathon Count: 6
Half Count: 7

bruyere
Abby Hoffman

Postby bruyere » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:44 pm

Most fun kind of speedwork for me tonighT: ULTIMATE!

(I rested yesterday, and hiked/ran for 6 hours on Sunday. If you're on my FB, go check out the photos. :) I'll try to get around to posting some here.)

Still deciding if I want to get into a training plan or just continue what I've been doing - weekly Grouse Grind, ultimate, and short-medium run, and long (several hours) each weekend. I'm starting to get the itch to run faster again... wondering what kind of marathon I'd do now ... also wondering what's a "comfortable" marathon for me these days?
"I was thinking of you yesterday as I was running through the woods. As I jumped over a fallen tree I said "If I were [bruyere], I'd be bleeding by now"." - Turd Ferguson

Kristen
Bill Crothers

Postby Kristen » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:39 pm

I need to learn how to play ultimate - sounds like fun! :)

10K done in perfect weather. The sun came out at just the right time and it is 14C... lovely.

VeloCarrie
Abby Hoffman

Postby VeloCarrie » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:54 pm

Run commute done. Tomorrow I get to find out if I can return to my regularly scheduled training programme. The hip feels great so *cross fingers*
Running is cheaper than therapy and I need a lot of therapy.

I solemnly swear that I'm up to no good. ~Harry Potter
Get off the friggin' assfalt and run dirt. ~Strider

What doesn't kill me will only make me stronger.

BJH
Lynn Williams

Postby BJH » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:57 pm

Speed work this evening. 20 x 1 minute hard with 30 seconds rest. Then there was ice cream.

I drove past the Ex on the way home. The midway is going up. Opening day is Friday. The evening air is cooler today. It's definitely August.
The road to hell is paved. Run trails.

Return to “General Running Discussion”