Headlamp recommendations?

You didn't need those toenails, did you?
Maryka
Tom Longboat

Headlamp recommendations?

Postby Maryka » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:12 am

I'm interested in hearing what kind of headlamp or lighting systems everyone uses for their night trail runs. I have a Tikka XP which is ok...but not great. Its better when I use it in combination with a flashlight, but I find it doesn't quite do the trick on the very technical trails.
Any recommendations for good (and affordable) headlamps?

Tori
Jerome Drayton

Re: Headlamp recommendations?

Postby Tori » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:14 am

I haven't tried it but we got my dad a Petzl Black Diamond to use at the Whistler Olympics. He had to inspect the ski trails very early in the morning in the dark and cleaning up the site late at night and said it worked really well.

hezzy
Tom Longboat

Postby hezzy » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:30 am

My husband got me this for xmas:

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_deta ... 9902390928

The battery pack clips to your belt rather than being a part of the actual head gear, so it makes it a lot lighter. I've used it a few times in the winter for evening runs, and once I got it adjusted properly I didn't have any problems with it. My husband used a similar one when he attempted Haliburton 100 miler a few years ago, and I plan on using it for the 50 miler (I figure I'll be too slow to be running behind anyone in the morning, and may very well be out there in the dark in the evening).
2015 - the year of the 100 miler

Mid_Packer
Bruce Kidd

Postby Mid_Packer » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:01 pm

'10 ATB 2:27, Boston 3:43, Missga 3:42, Sulphur Spring 25k, Niagara 50, ITT,Toad 50, Marine Corp M,
09 Chilly 1:43; ATB 2:37, Boston 3:50, Missuga Mara 3:49, Run for Toad 25k 2:22, Oakville half 1:51, Detroit 3:45
'08 Chilly 1:42; ATB 2:31; Miss Mara 3:43, Westover, Erie (DNF), Detroit 3:36
'07 Chilly 1:45, Detroit 3:50
'92-93 Half 1:27; Detroit 3:10, Boston 3:56

Maryka
Tom Longboat

Postby Maryka » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:58 pm

Aha! I knew there was an old thread about this but couldn't find it (for some reason I can never get the search function to work).

Thanks all!

Mega Mo
Johnny Miles

Postby Mega Mo » Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:49 am

Maryka wrote:....... I have a Tikka XP which is ok...but not great......

Now you tell me, I just bought one! If you get something better, I'll just run behing you at DG....
2015 Events:
Pick Your Poison 50km
Sulpher Springs 50 mile
North Face Blue Mountain 50 mile
Creemore Verticle Challenge 75km
Wasatch Front 100 Mile
Tour du Massif 50km
Somethin' else...
http://stupid-running.blogspot.com/

Maryka
Tom Longboat

Postby Maryka » Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:01 pm

Mega Mo wrote:
Maryka wrote:....... I have a Tikka XP which is ok...but not great......

Now you tell me, I just bought one! If you get something better, I'll just run behing you at DG....

I actually ran with my Tikka XP last night on the Bruce trail in Caledon with some friends. In combination with my hand-held flashlight, I had no trouble. Of course I was also running with two other people who were fully lit, so that helped a lot.

UltraQueenga
Jerome Drayton

Postby UltraQueenga » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:43 pm

Bumping this thread...

Any thoughts on the Petzl MYO XP? I'm seriously considering this puppy...

Ultrarunner again

Strider
Jerome Drayton

Postby Strider » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:48 pm

Yes, LOVE IT. You can help planes land. Battery pack at the back is a non issue, actually comfortable. Use that in conjunction with a Tikka XP on your waist belt, or that wicked small handheld you bought last year.
Help Fight Children's Cancer with Sears Canada and GoodGuysTri - 26 Team Mates, All Running 100km, 1 Goal.
If you have the time please read my participation page and consider a donation.

UltraQueenga
Jerome Drayton

Postby UltraQueenga » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:56 pm

Strider wrote:Yes, LOVE IT. You can help planes land. Battery pack at the back is a non issue, actually comfortable. Use that in conjunction with a Tikka XP on your waist belt, or that wicked small handheld you bought last year.

Thanks strider!! I looked on the other thread and saw you have the myo xp.
Have you ever had any issues with the power cable?
Is the battery pack bouncy?
Have you run with it in the winter/-20 or under?

I'm looking for a stronger light and I realize the hybrid ones have more power than the compact all-in-one lamps.
I don't want the myo xp belt lamp, because the cables would be annoying.
Thanks.

For more technical trails I use a handheld lamp as well, but I just need a headlamp that casts more light. I'm sleepwalking a lot these days... :lol: Burning River was a sleepwalking fest and my headlamp was too weak.
Ultrarunner again

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:00 pm

UltraQueenga wrote:Bumping this thread...

Any thoughts on the Petzl MYO XP? I'm seriously considering this puppy...

backcountry is offering it for $77 USD (plus shipping, so I'm not sure if that saves you anything or not!).
http://www.backcountry.com/outdoorgear/ ... 0215M.html
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:06 pm

(nevermind, it's only $80 at MEC!)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

UltraQueenga
Jerome Drayton

Postby UltraQueenga » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:07 pm

Thanks for the link Holly. I was actually trying to remember that site this morning.
Anyway, I found it on the MEC site for $80 and I can go down and try it on in the store. I hate going to MEC. I walk out broke... :x
Ultrarunner again

UltraQueenga
Jerome Drayton

Postby UltraQueenga » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:08 pm

And I just found it for $65 at Europe Bound!! Yay. Called them to put one on hold for me...
Ultrarunner again

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:13 pm

so, for you seasoned pros...

how much of a difference does it make to have an $80 lamp vs. a $20 lamp? as a newbie who is in the market for my *first* headlamp, should I go straight for the $80 one?

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:18 pm

ultraslacker wrote:so, for you seasoned pros...

how much of a difference does it make to have an $80 lamp vs. a $20 lamp? as a newbie who is in the market for my *first* headlamp, should I go straight for the $80 one?

$80 headlamps are for suckers

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_deta ... 4302697057

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:22 pm

turd ferguson wrote:

lol that's the kind that my mtb club requires for night riding... but not really necessary for trail running!

Maryka
Tom Longboat

Postby Maryka » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:23 pm

I actually went out and bought the Myo XP after Dirty Girls. My Tikka XP was OK for walking, but really slowed me down as I just couldn't see far enough ahead. And since some of the sections in Haliburton have hidden dangers that make things difficult enough during the day (ie, the Black Creek trail), I wanted to ensure I can see as much as possible at night. So I plan to wear the Myo on my head and the Tikka around my waist.

UltraQueenga
Jerome Drayton

Postby UltraQueenga » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:30 pm

Okay, if you're running through the night till the sun comes up, get a stronger headlamp, because you will get tired, your eyes will start to fail and a $40 headlamp will start fading. Six 100 milers have taught me that.

I currently have a Black Diamond Spot http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_deta ... 4302697057
It has one big strong LED and 3 smaller ones and can switch between diffuse or spot. I usually carry spare batteries during my 100s and replace them halfway through the night so I get "fresh eyes". This trick used to work, but it's not helping me anymore. Some extra sleep would. ;)

On more technical trails I also use a handheld lamp to see the trail better. I always carry a small one just in case, but would prefer to just have a strong one on my head and run hands free.

If you just need a lamp to run in the cold dark season and run few hours in the dark, you'll be fine with one of the less expensive ones ($20-$40). But if you're looking at being out there through the night, I think it's worth investing in a stronger one.

I'll keep my BlackDiamond spot for winter training and such, but will bring out the big gun for my overnight races.

My 2 cents...
Ultrarunner again

UltraQueenga
Jerome Drayton

Postby UltraQueenga » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:31 pm

turd ferguson wrote:

Those are definitely overkill if you're running on streets. I bet it freaks out people in the city... :lol:
Ultrarunner again

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:33 pm

ultraslacker wrote:lol that's the kind that my mtb club requires for night riding... but not really necessary for trail running!

I still have an expensive set of lights for my MTB - six pound battery that fit in the bottle cage, two giant headlights, harness. All pre-LED, ridiculously expensive and laughably obsolete.

UltraQueenga
Jerome Drayton

Postby UltraQueenga » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:34 pm

Maryka wrote:I actually went out and bought the Myo XP after Dirty Girls. My Tikka XP was OK for walking, but really slowed me down as I just couldn't see far enough ahead. And since some of the sections in Haliburton have hidden dangers that make things difficult enough during the day (ie, the Black Creek trail), I wanted to ensure I can see as much as possible at night. So I plan to wear the Myo on my head and the Tikka around my waist.

Very true.
Last year I freaked at Haliburton because my lamp was fading. You need a strong lamo to light the trail up ahead so you can see the teeny-tiny reflective tape that is stuck on the flags that were trampled during the day... :lol:
Ultrarunner again

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:37 pm

UltraQueenga wrote:

Okay, if you're running through the night till the sun comes up, get a stronger headlamp, because you will get tired, your eyes will start to fail and a $40 headlamp will start fading. Six 100 milers have taught me that.

I currently have a Black Diamond Spot http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_deta ... 4302697057
It has one big strong LED and 3 smaller ones and can switch between diffuse or spot. I usually carry spare batteries during my 100s and replace them halfway through the night so I get "fresh eyes". This trick used to work, but it's not helping me anymore. Some extra sleep would. ;)

On more technical trails I also use a handheld lamp to see the trail better. I always carry a small one just in case, but would prefer to just have a strong one on my head and run hands free.

If you just need a lamp to run in the cold dark season and run few hours in the dark, you'll be fine with one of the less expensive ones ($20-$40). But if you're looking at being out there through the night, I think it's worth investing in a stronger one.

I'll keep my BlackDiamond spot for winter training and such, but will bring out the big gun for my overnight races.

My 2 cents...

maybe for now I will just get a cheap one... then it can act as a back-up/second light later on... like when I do 100... :shifty:

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:45 pm

Speaking of Haliburton will I need something for the first half hour or can I just follow somebody.
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

UltraQueenga
Jerome Drayton

Postby UltraQueenga » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:51 pm

Doonst wrote:Speaking of Haliburton will I need something for the first half hour or can I just follow somebody.

Some people don't bother with a light in the morning because the first 6k are on that dirt road and by the time you get to the Normac, it's light outside.
Ultrarunner again

Return to “Ultras and Trail Running”