Headlamp recommendations?

You didn't need those toenails, did you?
Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Re: Headlamp recommendations?

Postby Doonst » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:52 pm

UltraQueenga wrote:
Doonst wrote:Speaking of Haliburton will I need something for the first half hour or can I just follow somebody.

Some people don't bother with a light in the morning because the first 6k are on that dirt road and by the time you get to the Normac, it's light outside.

Thought so, just making sure, thanks.
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

UltraQueenga
Jerome Drayton

Postby UltraQueenga » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:01 pm

Unless you start like a bat out of hell... :shifty:
Ultrarunner again

Strider
Jerome Drayton

Postby Strider » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:04 pm

Have you ever had any issues with the power cable? - No none at all
Is the battery pack bouncy? - No actually I find it quite comfortable and don't even notice it. Not even the weight
Have you run with it in the winter/-20 or under? - Once when I had to get in a Loooong Snowshoe run and started stoopid early. Seemed to work fine, but it was warm (with me in the car not a drop bag in the snow) until I started with it. Don't think it was below -20 though.

I don't want the myo xp belt lamp, because the cables would be annoying - what I meant was to use XP adaptor Kit (site used as info link only), use the Clip and attach to your belt or hydration. (This is what I will be using for the first 30min at HF)

BTW I can't take credit for any of this, except that it is what I use. Spaff helped me get set up with this combo and it works really well.
Help Fight Children's Cancer with Sears Canada and GoodGuysTri - 26 Team Mates, All Running 100km, 1 Goal.
If you have the time please read my participation page and consider a donation.

UltraQueenga
Jerome Drayton

Postby UltraQueenga » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:08 pm

Strider wrote:Have you ever had any issues with the power cable? - No none at all
Is the battery pack bouncy? - No actually I find it quite comfortable and don't even notice it. Not even the weight
Have you run with it in the winter/-20 or under? - Once when I had to get in a Loooong Snowshoe run and started stoopid early. Seemed to work fine, but it was warm (with me in the car not a drop bag in the snow) until I started with it. Don't think it was below -20 though.

I don't want the myo xp belt lamp, because the cables would be annoying - what I meant was to use XP adaptor Kit (site used as info link only), use the Clip and attach to your belt or hydration. (This is what I will be using for the first 30min at HF)

BTW I can't take credit for any of this, except that it is what I use. Spaff helped me get set up with this combo and it works really well.

Thanks a lot strider!! Awesome!! I asked about the cable, because I'm thinking about a winter 100 and -20 or under might be in the forecast.

Petzl MYO XP it is then!!
Thanks for the tip on getting the old headlamp clipped on the belt. I'll think about it.
Ultrarunner again

Strider
Jerome Drayton

Postby Strider » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:10 pm

BTW UQ - I bought that small handheld you have (you mentioned it months and months ago) and love it. Great for winter dog walking among other things.
Help Fight Children's Cancer with Sears Canada and GoodGuysTri - 26 Team Mates, All Running 100km, 1 Goal.

Strider
Jerome Drayton

Postby Strider » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:12 pm

UltraQueenga wrote: because I'm thinking about a winter 100 and -20 or under might be in the forecast.

Which one? You're not heading to Alaska are you?

UltraQueenga
Jerome Drayton

Postby UltraQueenga » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:14 pm

Strider wrote:BTW UQ - I bought that small handheld you have (you mentioned it months and months ago) and love it. Great for winter dog walking among other things.

That's now known as my "coyote lamp". :D I used it to illuminate the Humber Valley in the winter and see the pairs of eyes. :shifty:
Ultrarunner again

UltraQueenga
Jerome Drayton

Postby UltraQueenga » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:23 pm

Strider wrote:
UltraQueenga wrote: because I'm thinking about a winter 100 and -20 or under might be in the forecast.

Which one? You're not heading to Alaska are you?

When I win Cash For Life, absolutely!! :lol:
For the time being, I'm thinking of the Beast of Burden 100 in Lockport NY in late February. Closer to home, less expensive for us.

Last weekend after ITT, the viking and I hosed off, jumped into our car and drove down to pace our friend who was doing the 24hr event at the Summer Beast of Burden. I ended up running 40k + 11k between 7:30PM on Saturday and 11:25 on Sunday morning, with a 4 hr snooze in the car. The viking did crewing and ran 20k in absolutely soggy weather.
Now we're thinking we want to do the whole 100 in the dead of winter, with snow squalls and -25 or in slush and freezing rain, as the weather may be...
We're seriously thinking about it and trying to come up with an estimate for the gear we need and the mental games that might help on a 40k loop of flat towpath. :think:
Ultrarunner again

Strider
Jerome Drayton

Postby Strider » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:38 pm

If you took up snowshoeing you could run the Peak 100. I had looked at the Beast before. Will have to do some more thinking about that.

Oh and you two are seriously nuts, and great people.

UltraQueenga
Jerome Drayton

Postby UltraQueenga » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:43 pm

I've been twice on snowshoes in my life. :lol: I think the Peak 100 will have to wait a bit.
I'm not big on winter sports, but one thing I'd like to look at is x-country.
Ultrarunner again

Strider
Jerome Drayton

Postby Strider » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:46 pm

How about Arrowhead when 100 ain't enough

UltraQueenga
Jerome Drayton

Postby UltraQueenga » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:51 pm

Strider wrote:

How about Arrowhead when 100 ain't enough

Yeah, right. And then next thing I know is I'm filling in a form for Badwater! Mm, thanks, no. Err, not just yet... :shifty: :lol:
Ultrarunner again

jdbegin
Johnny Miles

Postby jdbegin » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:35 am

UltraQueenga wrote:Yeah, right. And then next thing I know is I'm filling in a form for Badwater! Mm, thanks, no. Err, not just yet... :shifty: :lol:

I ran in cold winter weather with the Petzl XP 2 http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442630825&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302697057 and it was great. It has a diffuser to "widen" the beam. The batteries lasted all night (a long winter night) although I changed them for the second night. I will be using it at Haliburton, with a handheld.

In the morning, I will run with my "backup" little Zipka+ lamp. It's not really powerful enough for a full-blown night run but it's nice and light and has a retractable strap that let's you wear it anywhere. After the sun comes up, I will probably wear it on my wrist just in case I get caught by darkness before I get to my drop bag or if I do something stoopid like forgetting to pick up my "real" lamp. Not that something like that has ever happened to anyone...
JD

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:11 am

Oh look...UQ is classified as "Trason." How cool is that? I'd make sure not to post anymore. :shock:

Anyway, if you need crew for Badwater, call me.
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

BJH
Lynn Williams

Postby BJH » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:16 am

UltraQueenga wrote:I've been twice on snowshoes in my life. :lol: I think the Peak 100 will have to wait a bit.
I'm not big on winter sports, but one thing I'd like to look at is x-country.

http://www.csm-mcs.com/media_lib/pdf/CS ... re_eng.pdf

ultra monk wrote:Oh look...UQ is classified as "Trason." How cool is that? I'd make sure not to post anymore. :shock:

:lol: That's special for her. Post away.
The road to hell is paved. Run trails.

UltraQueenga
Jerome Drayton

Postby UltraQueenga » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:43 am

ultra monk wrote:Oh look...UQ is classified as "Trason." How cool is that? I'd make sure not to post anymore. :shock:

Hey, that's an honour. Thanks mods!

ultra monk wrote:Anyway, if you need crew for Badwater, call me.

Hey, you're just as crazy as I am! Great! I'll keep that in mind.

BJH, please shoot me down with a poison dart outside my house if I start even remotely considering Badwater. I hate heat and I hate road. At the moment... :shifty:
Ultrarunner again

BJH
Lynn Williams

Postby BJH » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:47 am

UltraQueenga wrote:BJH, please shoot me down with a poison dart outside my house if I start even remotely considering Badwater. I hate heat and I hate road. At the moment... :shifty:

Really? I was going to offer to crew, too ...
The road to hell is paved. Run trails.

UltraQueenga
Jerome Drayton

Postby UltraQueenga » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:52 am

You sick and twisted bunch! :twisted:
This hijack ends here.

Carry on... right, headlamps. Okay, so I'm going down to MEC to try on the MYO XP for fit and comfort and then I have one on hold at Europe Bound for $65.
Ultrarunner again

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:17 am

UltraQueenga wrote:You sick and twisted bunch! :twisted:
This hijack ends here.

Carry on... right, headlamps. Okay, so I'm going down to MEC to try on the MYO XP for fit and comfort and then I have one on hold at Europe Bound for $65.

let us know how you like it!
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

UltraQueenga
Jerome Drayton

Postby UltraQueenga » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:21 am

ultraslacker wrote:
UltraQueenga wrote:You sick and twisted bunch! :twisted:
This hijack ends here.

let us know how you like it!

I will. I can tell you I already like the price. Not sure why they're only 65 when MEC and the others carry it for 80 and up. :think:
Ultrarunner again

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:28 am

I wonder if I could find it cheap here, too!

(stupid hst)

eta: valhalla lists it at $83, and REI has it for $86 (USD!). Looks like your $65 is a great deal!
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

spaff
Bruce Kidd

Postby spaff » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:02 pm

Coming in a little late here, but as Strider mentioned, I'm a big fan of the MYO XP on the head on the spot setting and Tikka XP around the waist (with the adapt kit) in the diffuser setting. You get the best of both worlds that way. I haven't noticed any bounce at all with the battery pack on the MYO XP. It also comes with an optional overhead strap that should stabilize this too. I do tend to like wearing the MYO XP with a cap on backwards so that the battery pack sits on the peak and is very stable.

As for the morning parade in the darkness at Haliburton, you can rely on others headlamp beams on the road, but it still can be tricky. Not entirely necessary to have a headlamp, but if its the choice between hitting a rock and turning an ankle at the start, I'd prefer to wear something. What I've really liked the past few years has been the Petzl E+lite. It's a very tiny emergency light that has a strap or what I do is just clip it on my cap (I wear my cap frontwards during this section). Gives off just enough light and you don't even notice that you're wearing it. I actually keep it on all day, then if for some reason your night headlamp(s) fails, you have a convenience emerg one right there.

Regarding the MYO XP in the winter... I've used it for some long runs on some really cold days. And actually used it for dogsledding at -30C, and was impressed that I was able to see past my lead dogs while travelling very fast through narrow trails.
Spafford Health and Adventure: www.HealthandAdventure.com

UltraQueenga
Jerome Drayton

Postby UltraQueenga » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:07 pm

spaff wrote:Coming in a little late here, but as Strider mentioned, I'm a big fan of the MYO XP on the head on the spot setting and Tikka XP around the waist (with the adapt kit) in the diffuser setting. You get the best of both worlds that way. I haven't noticed any bounce at all with the battery pack on the MYO XP. It also comes with an optional overhead strap that should stabilize this too. I do tend to like wearing the MYO XP with a cap on backwards so that the battery pack sits on the peak and is very stable.

As for the morning parade in the darkness at Haliburton, you can rely on others headlamp beams on the road, but it still can be tricky. Not entirely necessary to have a headlamp, but if its the choice between hitting a rock and turning an ankle at the start, I'd prefer to wear something. What I've really liked the past few years has been the Petzl E+lite. It's a very tiny emergency light that has a strap or what I do is just clip it on my cap (I wear my cap frontwards during this section). Gives off just enough light and you don't even notice that you're wearing it. I actually keep it on all day, then if for some reason your night headlamp(s) fails, you have a convenience emerg one right there.

Regarding the MYO XP in the winter... I've used it for some long runs on some really cold days. And actually used it for dogsledding at -30C, and was impressed that I was able to see past my lead dogs while travelling very fast through narrow trails.

Thanks a lot derrick. Good to know you've used it and it performed well in -30C.
Ultrarunner again

_Eric_
Tom Longboat

Postby _Eric_ » Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:35 am

Here's my set-up:

Waist lamp is a mammut Lucido TX1 setting at floodlight, my headlamp is a Petzl Tikka Plus 2.
I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more...

-Chuck Palahniuk

UltraQueenga
Jerome Drayton

Postby UltraQueenga » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:15 am

Yay, UQ has a new Petzl MYO XP! So pretty, so bright, like the owner herself. :lol: 8)
Ultrarunner again

Return to “Ultras and Trail Running”