Re: Chicago Marathon opens...

Postby HCcD » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:43 pm

October 5, 2010

In this e-mail:
Event Alert System
UpdatePublic Safety Message
Event Participant Contact Information

Bank of America Chicago Marathon EAS Update

The Bank of America Chicago Marathon's Event Alert System (EAS) is a color-coded communication system that will communicate the status of course conditions to participants in advance of the event, as well as on race day. The Alert Levels range from Low (green) to Moderate (yellow) to High (red) to Extreme (black) based primarily on weather conditions, as well as other factors.

According to the advance local weather forecast, the weather on race day is projected to be sunny, with low temperatures in the low 50's (degrees F) and high temperatures in the low to mid 70's (degrees F).

Based on this forecast, the Event Alert Level is Green, which suggests good conditions for marathon running on race day. Please be aware that conditions may change prior to race day. Be prepared for changing conditions and pay attention to signage and P.A. announcements at the Health & Fitness Expo and on race day.

Given the current EAS Level, Bank of America Chicago Marathon Medical Director Dr. George Chiampas offers the following preparation tips to all participants :

PREPARATION TIPS

Hydration: Drink enough fluids to maintain your baseline body weight, but be aware of over-hydration. If you begin to gain weight above your baseline body weight, you are drinking too much water and depleting your sodium level. (A condition known as "Hyponatremia" can occur when there is a lower than normal concentration of sodium in the blood. Sodium is a critical electrolyte that aids nerve and muscle function, and helps to maintain blood pressure.)
Utilize both water and sports drinks (Gatorade) to stay hydrated and maintain sodium levels.
Pay attention to the weather forecast and dress for the appropriate weather conditions.
Study the course and be aware of the locations of Aid Stations. Each Aid Station has Gatorade, water, toilets, medical facilities and access to runner drop-out vehicles.
Do not immediately stop moving when you cross the finish line. Rather, walk or slowly jog as you move through the finish area. This will allow your muscles to relax and your body to acclimate. It is not uncommon for runners to collapse beyond the finish line due to the sudden change in activity.
For participants who require such assistance after the race, the Main Medical facility is located just beyond the finish line, as is an Ice Tent and Podiatry Tent.
Pack warm and dry clothes to change into after the race.
The Bank of America Chicago Marathon is committed to providing the safest possible race experience. Participants are advised to use their best judgment, alter their pace accordingly and pay attention to their body's warning signals at all times.

Public Safety Message

Dear Participants,

Please join us in being vigilant of our surroundings during this year's Chicago Marathon. If you see a suspicious person, object or vehicle along or near the race course, report the sighting to 9-1-1 or to law enforcement personnel.

Do not store, hide or leave any personal items, backpacks, packages or clothes along or near the race course, this includes the start and finish line areas in Grant Park. Use designated Gear Check areas to check your personal belongings, or leave your personal items with a friend or family member.

Again, do not store, hide or leave any personal items in Grant Park or along the race course. Use the designated Gear Check areas to check your personal belongings. And please report any suspicious items to 9-1-1 or law enforcement personnel.

Thank you for helping to kept yourself and those around you safe.

Event Participant Contact Information

As a complement to our color-coded Event Alert System, we have created an Event Participant Contact Database to input the current contact information of participants so that it is readily accessible on race morning by event officials, medical and emergency personnel. This database is a secure and one-time source for contact information in the event that participants are unable to provide accurate information to emergency personnel in a timely manner.

Click here to input your Event Participant Contact information.

NOTE: Input of contact information is optional and not a requirement for participation.
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

endurox
Tom Longboat

Postby endurox » Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:30 pm

The weather looks grand! Now if I can just stop having dreams that I can't get to the start on time or find a place to store my warm clothes for after. Oye!
9 Marathons/6 Boston Qualifiers
PR 3:36
Next Major Race:Chicago Marathon 2010
http://startinglines.blog.com/
"Mind is everything: muscle - pieces of rubber. All that I am, I am because of my mind."
- Paavo Nurmi

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:32 pm

Just so long as it doesn't get any warmer than that, I'm OK!

Definitely shorts and short sleeve weather! :D

Lisa
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:32 am

Looks to be a rather pleasant day for a run on Sunday in the windy City ... :P :wink: :mrgreen:

Sunday, Oct. 10

Cloudy periods

Low - 12C
High - 22°C

Dr. S
Abby Hoffman

Postby Dr. S » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:17 am

Yay for running skirts!!!
Sonia

7 marathons (PB 5:01)
31 halfs (PB 2:10)
----------------------------
The plan for 2014: 10K des glaces & Apocalypse 5K
2015: No plan at all!

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:04 am

Take a looksie at the Nike Chicago Race Souvenir Schwag available online .... http://store.nike.com/us/en_us/?ref=http://inside.nike.com/blogs/nikerunning_events-en_US/%3ftags=chicago_marathon+official_gear&tagOperator=AND&sitesrc=uspl%3E#l=shop,pwp,c-1+100701/hf-10002+4294966973/t-Chicago_Marathon_Collection

Unfortunately, no disply for the "Finisher's" schwag online available yet ... :? :( Would someone confirm that they do offer race jackets in Chicago? And, if they offer both Regular Race Jackets and /or a Finisher's jacket ?? :pray: :pray: :pray: :shifty: :oops:

Jogger Barbie
Bill Crothers

Postby Jogger Barbie » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:08 pm

Just popping into the thread to wish a big GOOD LUCK to everyone this weekend! Hope you all have a fantastic race!
Jacqueline
--------------
19 marathons (3:24:56), 9 30 km ATBs (2:21:33), 2 Midsummer 30 km (2:22:07), 15 half marathons (1:33:53), 5 10 Ks (44:17), 1 5K (22:59), 1 50 K (4:29:22)
2015: London :)
2016: Boston, followed by injury rehab and then ???

endurox
Tom Longboat

Postby endurox » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:17 pm

Thanks Jacqueline! It should be lots of fun with so many people we know going. I have scaled down my goal because of an injury that sprung up 5 weeks ago, so instead of PR goal it will be an LF (lotsa fun) lol.
"Mind is everything: muscle - pieces of rubber. All that I am, I am because of my mind."
- Paavo Nurmi

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:35 am

Should be perfect post-race consumption weather conditions on Sunday ... :shock: :lol: :wink: :oops:

Sunday, Oct. 10

Cloudy periods

Low - 12C
High - 25°C

20% POP

Dr. S
Abby Hoffman

Postby Dr. S » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:32 am

woah 25 is a bit hot for us finishing at lunchtime!!!
Sonia

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:46 am

Dr. S wrote:woah 25 is a bit hot for us finishing at lunchtime!!!

Nah, Hi is for mid-late afternoon ... Just checking current forecasts for day was something like @7am with a Low 13C and High 23C, with it peaking around 3:00pm or so, so should be around 18-20C at noon .. :?

eta: Just checked-in with United Airlines for my flight tomorrow morning ... Just bringing my carry-on luggage ... $25.00 per check-in luggage, is just insane ... :shock: :shock:

Strider
Jerome Drayton

Postby Strider » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:18 am

HCmD wrote:[eta: Just checked-in with United Airlines for my flight tomorrow morning ... Just bringing my carry-on luggage ...

Just be careful with Liquids and Gels as it all has to go through security. Make sure you have room in your carry-on for all your purchases. 6 pairs of shoes take up a lot of space ;) :lol: :)
Help Fight Children's Cancer with Sears Canada and GoodGuysTri - 26 Team Mates, All Running 100km, 1 Goal.
If you have the time please read my participation page and consider a donation.

Dr. S
Abby Hoffman

Postby Dr. S » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:45 am

HCmD wrote:[eta: Just checked-in with United Airlines for my flight tomorrow morning ... Just bringing my carry-on luggage ...

We're with US airways and they also charge 25$ per checked item, we're only checking one luggage for the 2 of us. Making sure all the running items are in the carry-on.

BTW are people running with their own water/gatorade?

I was thinking of running with the fuel belt with like 2-3 bottles, I find I like to be able to have a drink when I want to and not just wait for the aid stations.
Sonia

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:58 am

Have an amazing time everyone! My best friend just moved to Chicago and she is volunteering on Sunday - she'll be one of the thousands of smiling volunteers, I'm sure.
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:59 am

Since the weather will be on the warmish side, I've decided to wear a fuel belt - much to my chagrin!

I will be taking my own gels and water.

See ya'll soon!

Lisa
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

CinC
Lynn Williams

Postby CinC » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:16 am

Good luck Chicago runners!!

KBO - remember to tell bingerunner 'no bananas!' and if he does get passed, then ask him his splits! Har!!

Good luck and Don't Suck!
xoxo
Race Hard. Race Happy.

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:29 am

Have fun everyone!

endurox
Tom Longboat

Postby endurox » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:42 am

I was able to check in with United Airlines online but it would not issue a boarding pass due to "security measures"...either I am on the No Fly list (even though the USA saw fit to give me a visa to live and work in the USA in 2006/07) or its just a way to create a line up at the airport. I am carrying my bag on like always because no doubt it would be lost on a non stop flight from Winnipeg but lucky to have travelling mates that check their bags to take my gels, if they get lost I can always get more at the expo. Will not wear any sort of fuel belt or water as it drives me insane (gels will be stuffed in running bra that serves no other purpose other than to stash gels). Chicago here we come!
- Paavo Nurmi

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:45 am

endurox wrote:I was able to check in with United Airlines online but it would not issue a boarding pass due to "security measures"...either I am on the No Fly list (even though the USA saw fit to give me a visa to live and work in the USA in 2006/07) or its just a way to create a line up at the airport. I am carrying my bag on like always because no doubt it would be lost on a non stop flight from Winnipeg but lucky to have travelling mates that check their bags to take my gels, if they get lost I can always get more at the expo. Will not wear any sort of fuel belt or water as it drives me insane (gels will be stuffed in running bra that serves no other purpose other than to stash gels). Chicago here we come!

:shock: :shock: You 'Peggers sure have a lot of fun time at the Airports, lately ... :shock: :shock: At least, I thought another 'Pegger had a similar issue recently ??? :think: :think: :think:

endurox
Tom Longboat

Postby endurox » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:47 am

We are a shifty bunch so its probably for the safety of the rest. lol
- Paavo Nurmi

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:04 pm

HCmD wrote:Should be perfect post-race consumption weather conditions on Sunday ... :shock: :lol: :wink: :oops:

Sunday, Oct. 10

Cloudy periods

Low - 12C
High - 25°C

20% POP

Ooops, now the Low for Sat evening and Sun morning is at 14C :shock: :shock: Definitely, shorts and tank top now ... :shifty:

Sunday, Oct. 10

Cloudy periods

Low - 14C
High - 25°C

20% POP

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:05 pm

Good luck to everyone and have fun!

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:38 pm

Countdown is less than 15 hours away to Chicago 10-10-10 ...

Should be between 56F at the start in the morning and upping to about 80F before noon, and topping at over 85F by mid afternoon ... :shock:

Expo was huge and pretty good prices for nutrition and shoes, if one was looking ... Met Hal Higdon at the Expo and got an autographed signing of his latest book ... as well as signing up for a subscription to Marathon and Beyone ... :shifty:

Other than that just bought some race nike schwag and the perverbial jacket (a nice track style model) and still have my eyes on a Finisher's Jacket :drool: :drool: :drool:

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:42 am

Interesting that ....

Wanjiru and Shobukhova Defend Bank of America Chicago Marathon Titles

Shobukhova Wins Women’s World Marathon Major Series; Wanjiru Likely Earns
Men’s Series Title with Victory in Chicago
CHICAGO – The 33rd running of the Bank of America Chicago Marathon today
witnessed a record 38,132 participants start the race and 36,159 runners cross
the finish line, two defending champions, and a course record in the men’s
wheelchair competition.

[url]http://www.chicagomarathon.com/CMS400Min/uploadedFiles/Chicago_Marathon/Press_Center/2010%20BACCM%20Finish%20Release%20FINAL[1].pdf[/url]

That's quite a lot of runners of the 45,000 registrants who did not make it to the Start Line ... 6,868 DNS and, surprised that only 1,973 DNF'd ... :shock:

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:04 am

HCmD wrote:That's quite a lot of runners of the 45,000 registrants who did not make it to the Start Line ... 6,868 DNS and, surprised that only 1,973 DNF'd ... :shock:

That sounds pretty close to normal, doesn't it?
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Return to “General Running Discussion”