Boston Registration HELP!

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Re: Boston Registration HELP!

Postby Jwolf » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:03 pm

ChrisL wrote:I could not register this morning, and now it is sold out :(

Crap. :(
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:05 pm

Jwolf wrote:

Crap. :(

+1 :( :(
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

mcshame
Sylvia Ruegger

Postby mcshame » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:06 pm

Stupid computer at work. I was qualified for 2 years and I did not get in for either year.

&%$##%&

These are bad stories. Work your butt off to qualify for Boston but one blink, and you loose your chance to race it. Sorry Chris, that really sucks

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:13 pm

mcshame wrote:

Stupid computer at work. I was qualified for 2 years and I did not get in for either year.

&%$##%&

These are bad stories. Work your butt off to qualify for Boston but one blink, and you loose your chance to race it. Sorry Chris, that really sucks

that's why I think that unless they make big changes, a lot of people will lose interest. It's not worth the work of qualifying if you still can't get in!
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

mcshame
Sylvia Ruegger

Postby mcshame » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:20 pm

ultraslacker wrote:
mcshame wrote:

&%$##%&

that's why I think that unless they make big changes, a lot of people will lose interest. It's not worth the work of qualifying if you still can't get in!

+1

babysteps
Jerome Drayton

Postby babysteps » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:31 pm

Just heard that my 60 yo friend who qualified was able to register. Apparently, his wife spent most of the day trying to get him in, and finally had success. But it sounds like it was quite a process! (He's a dentist so I guess he couldn't stay on the computer all day. He'd better buy his wife a nice bunch of roses!!)

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:38 pm

Jwolf wrote: They DO NOT want to shut out people based on whether they run a marathon before or after the registration date or how fast they get on their computer. So tightening the standards is what we'll likely see.

I'm not sure I agree. The original point of imposing qualifying standards was to control the size of the field... a purely pragmatic reason to achieve a specific goal. If that goal is being achieved in another way and they are getting the exact number of registrants that they want, what's the motivation to change anything?

Lots of high-profile races sell out in one or two days year after year and there's no desire on the part of those organizers to change anything. Maybe this will just become a new part of the Boston mystique. The thrill of the mouseclick.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:39 pm

babysteps wrote:Just heard that my 60 yo friend who qualified was able to register. Apparently, his wife spent most of the day trying to get him in, and finally had success. But it sounds like it was quite a process! (He's a dentist so I guess he couldn't stay on the computer all day. He'd better buy his wife a nice bunch of roses!!)

Some people figured out early on that there was a different link that led you right to the right registration page. But if you weren't in the on-line running community loop, she would have missed this (FB/Twitter/RW/RM/etc.)
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:40 pm

dgrant wrote:
Jwolf wrote: They DO NOT want to shut out people based on whether they run a marathon before or after the registration date or how fast they get on their computer. So tightening the standards is what we'll likely see.

I'm not sure I agree. The original point of imposing qualifying standards was to control the size of the field... a purely pragmatic reason to achieve a specific goal. If that goal is being achieved in another way and they are getting the exact number of registrants that they want, what's the motivation to change anything?

I've read interviews with those in the BAA who have indicated that they don't want internet and speed of registration to be a limiter.

Limiting the size of the field is the reason for the standards-- and now there are too many people qualifying at those standards. I predict they will tighten them to further limit the field. Otherwise, they would have just gone to a lottery a long time ago to limit the field.

Lots of high-profile races sell out in one or two days year after year and there's no desire on the part of those organizers to change anything. Maybe this will just become a new part of the Boston mystique. The thrill of the mouseclick.
But none of these other high profile marathons have qualifying standards as the main means of entry. That's something that BAA wants to keep as unique about Boston, I'm sure.

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:43 pm

who knows... we can speculate until the cows come home. :)

(I'm just glad that a BQ isn't a priority for me!)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

LadyV
Bill Crothers

Postby LadyV » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:48 pm

dgrant wrote:

But you need to qualify for Boston... that makes it "special"

the BAA will have to make a choice: accept to be like any other race or...change the rules

I am pretty sure some rules will change...
"Don't have time for a run? Go for a run' (Marc Remy - RW)
www.itsmyrun.com

SteveF
Bill Crothers

Postby SteveF » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:48 pm

I followed the link on the BAA site to register. I tried about 10 times before I got sick of filling in the form. I almost decided to wait until I got home but around 11:30 I was passing a computer at work, submitted, and got through. Good thing I didn't wait! I really thought the "selling out" rumour was just that - a rumour.

deerdree
Kevin Sullivan

Postby deerdree » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:48 pm

part of the reason i raised the "why do they care as long as they fill the race?" question is that i keep reading and hearing from runners who thought the BQ times should be changed, but i don't know what the BAA thinks.

just came across this running times article with some good quotes from the BAA's executive director...

In 1997 the B.A.A. instituted a 15,000-entrant limit, for the first time suggesting that a qualifying time might not be enough to gain entry. Since then the B.A.A. has walked a careful line politically and technologically. While balancing the concerns and demands of the communities on the course and the event's infrastructure, the B.A.A. has managed to increase the field limit to 25,000. In 2008, for the first time, registration was closed in late February when the field filled. In 2009, registration closed in January, and for 2010 registration lasted just 66 days, closing on Nov. 13.

"Clearly another boom is at play here," Morse says. "Everyone who is selling a product that sells out is happy. And so are we -- except that we are not happy that we were not able to capture every qualifier." Morse adds, however, that 1,000 more qualified runners are entered in 2010 than 2009.

So what next? "We are looking at all of our systems and the communities along the route, who help dictate how large the event can be," Morse says. "We think there are ways to increase the field slightly to accommodate the maybe two or three thousand runners who didn't get in this year because they qualified in a later race."

"I'm not convinced that tampering with qualifying standards is the answer," Morse says. He's been at the B.A.A. through three revisions of the qualifying times; each time the standards were eased. Might they consider reversing course and tightening? "It's an option. We're aware of it. And it's been done before," Morse says. "But it's not my preference. I'm more interested in seeing if there's a way to accommodate the runners by increasing the field size slightly by 2,000 or 3,000. Even [going] up to 30,000."

Though there are inevitable grumblings about the diminished meaning of the qualifying times and the dilution of the field with non-qualifiers, this recent growth speaks to Boston's continued significance.

"It's clear to me that [the qualifying times] have become THE -- capital T-H-E -- standard that most runners will define themselves by. There aren't many other tangible standards out there," Morse says. "They've become our most valuable franchise."

combined with the other article i linked to in the thread about women's times (where he said changes were NOT imminent), i'm not sure i understand why so many people think the changes are inevitable? at least in the near future? is he saying one thing to the press but planning another?

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:52 pm

I'm starting the rumour that they're moving the Boston Marathon to New York City and increasing the number of runners to 50,000.
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:57 pm

Doonst wrote:I'm starting the rumour that they're moving the Boston Marathon to New York City and increasing the number of runners to 50,000.

Chris Russell (of the RunRunLive podcast) made a joke on Twitter/FB/Daily mile that the BAA was going to run two Boston Marathons, one on Sunday and one on Monday of the weekend. :) Some people believed him.

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:04 pm

I think the last paragraph (actually, the last line) in the quote Dee posted is the most relevant: "'It's clear to me that [the qualifying times] have become THE -- capital T-H-E -- standard that most runners will define themselves by. There aren't many other tangible standards out there," Morse says. "They've become our most valuable franchise.'"

They will think very long and hard before they change the standards, I think.

Another approach (though I would doubt this would fly) is to take the same approach that the IM World Championships use and set the qualifying standards based on a certain number/percentage of finishers in each age group (e.g., must finish in Top X% of your age group in a qualifying marathon). Maybe even be more selective about which races are considered Boston Qualifiers.

But I really think they should just look at how they can increase the size of the field so that they can accommodate more qualifiers. If people know they can take their time to register, likely some of them will eventually choose NOT to register.

It will be interesting to see how many of today's registrants actually make it to the start line!
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:05 pm

I really feel sad for those that worked hard, made the time, and couldn't get in as it sold out so fast.
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:08 pm

La wrote:I think the last paragraph (actually, the last line) in the quote Dee posted is the most relevant: "'It's clear to me that [the qualifying times] have become THE -- capital T-H-E -- standard that most runners will define themselves by. There aren't many other tangible standards out there," Morse says. "They've become our most valuable franchise.'"

They will think very long and hard before they change the standards, I think.

But I don't think that will change if they tighten up the standards. They will still fill up... it'll just be tougher for the individual.

But I really think they should just look at how they can increase the size of the field so that they can accommodate more qualifiers. If people know they can take their time to register, likely some of them will eventually choose NOT to register.

That's a bandaid solution, no? Then they'll just have to re-assess it again in a couple of years.

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:10 pm

La wrote:
It will be interesting to see how many of today's registrants actually make it to the start line!

I know one registrant who has indicated on her FB status that she's actually not targeting Boston as her main Spring race...but registered to go...just in case.
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:13 pm

ultraslacker wrote:
La wrote:But I really think they should just look at how they can increase the size of the field so that they can accommodate more qualifiers. If people know they can take their time to register, likely some of them will eventually choose NOT to register.

That's a bandaid solution, no? Then they'll just have to re-assess it again in a couple of years.

Not necessarily. I think what happened today was based on the fear of scarcity (for 2011 AND beyond). This happened with IM Canada & Lake Placid a few years ago, registrations actually eased off after the "panic" of potentially not being able to get in went away in subsequent years.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:15 pm

La wrote:
ultraslacker wrote:
La wrote:But I really think they should just look at how they can increase the size of the field so that they can accommodate more qualifiers. If people know they can take their time to register, likely some of them will eventually choose NOT to register.

Not necessarily. I think what happened today was based on the fear of scarcity (for 2011 AND beyond). This happened with IM Canada & Lake Placid a few years ago, registrations actually eased off after the "panic" of potentially not being able to get in went away in subsequent years.

They've already done this for several years and the word is that they don't think they can expand it any further.

Kristen
Bill Crothers

Postby Kristen » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:20 pm

Jo-Jo wrote:I know one registrant who has indicated on her FB status that she's actually not targeting Boston as her main Spring race...but registered to go...just in case.

... indeed, Jo-Jo... and that registrant is now totally befuddled as how to respond to this whole crazy business today. I need a few days to mull this over... part of me doesn't want to race it now on principle (how is this whole process fair? or fun, for that matter?). But part of me now does want to race it (even though I was targeting ATB) because I fear now I'll never ever have another chance (either on account of the crazy registration process or dramatically-lowered standards). This sort of puts a new spin on things, for sure. Much pondering to do. :?

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:22 pm

Kristen wrote:part of me doesn't want to race it now on principle (how is this whole process fair? or fun, for that matter?).

how is it not fair?

Kristen
Bill Crothers

Postby Kristen » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:24 pm

ultraslacker wrote:how is it not fair?

Well, if a person couldn't log on to register today or had a slower connection or didn't want to try that "other" link (I took a total risk in doing that) and figured they might be able to tomorrow... ugh... I went through a freakish 3 hours this morning and I thought I was OCD about the registration thing. Apparently 27000 other people were, too... wow. I'm just speechless.

mcshame
Sylvia Ruegger

Postby mcshame » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:25 pm

Kristen wrote:
Jo-Jo wrote:I know one registrant who has indicated on her FB status that she's actually not targeting Boston as her main Spring race...but registered to go...just in case.

... indeed, Jo-Jo... and that registrant is now totally befuddled as how to respond to this whole crazy business today. I need a few days to mull this over... part of me doesn't want to race it now on principle (how is this whole process fair? or fun, for that matter?). But part of me now does want to race it (even though I was targeting ATB) because I fear now I'll never ever have another chance (either on account of the crazy registration process or dramatically-lowered standards). This sort of puts a new spin on things, for sure. Much pondering to do. :?

!?!?!? <Mcshame eyes bulge out, shakes his head, and walks away from the keyboard>
Last edited by mcshame on Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General Running Discussion”