Boston Registration HELP!

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Re: Boston Registration HELP!

Postby ultraslacker » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:25 pm

Kristen wrote:
ultraslacker wrote:how is it not fair?

Well, if a person couldn't log on to register today or had a slower connection or didn't want to try that "other" link (I took a total risk in doing that) and figured they might be able to tomorrow... ugh... I went through a freakish 3 hours this morning and I thought I was OCD about the registration thing. Apparently 27000 other people were, too... wow. I'm just speechless.

but lots of races sell out in minutes, nevermind hours. It's not unfair... it's just the way it is.
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:26 pm

It would be interesting to see if (in fact) more people actually qualified this year, or if more qualifiers have simply decided to register. Demand is clearly up, but is qualifying actually up proportionately?
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

दिवंगत
Bill Crothers

Postby दिवंगत » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:27 pm

deerdree wrote:combined with the other article i linked to in the thread about women's times (where he said changes were NOT imminent), i'm not sure i understand why so many people think the changes are inevitable? at least in the near future? is he saying one thing to the press but planning another?

FWIW, I agree with you; there seems to a desire in this thread for the standards to be changed as if validating someone's prediction is more important than logic or evidence.

I'm quite sure that the vast majority of those folks who really wanted to be in the race got in today.

BTW, welcome to the world of IM entry, BQ runners. 8)

Kristen
Bill Crothers

Postby Kristen » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:27 pm

mcshame wrote:
Kristen wrote:
Jo-Jo wrote:I know one registrant who has indicated on her FB status that she's actually not targeting Boston as her main Spring race...but registered to go...just in case.

... indeed, Jo-Jo... and that registrant is now totally befuddled as how to respond to this whole crazy business today. I need a few days to mull this over... part of me doesn't want to race it now on principle (how is this whole process fair? or fun, for that matter?). But part of me now does want to race it (even though I was targeting ATB) because I fear now I'll never ever have another chance (either on account of the crazy registration process or dramatically-lowered standards). This sort of puts a new spin on things, for sure. Much pondering to do. :?

!?!?!? <Mcshame eyes bulge out, shakes his head, and walks away from the keyboard>

Why Lorne? Btw, removing myself from this thread at this point...

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:30 pm

ultraslacker wrote:
Kristen wrote:
ultraslacker wrote:how is it not fair?

Well, if a person couldn't log on to register today or had a slower connection or didn't want to try that "other" link (I took a total risk in doing that) and figured they might be able to tomorrow... ugh... I went through a freakish 3 hours this morning and I thought I was OCD about the registration thing. Apparently 27000 other people were, too... wow. I'm just speechless.

but lots of races sell out in minutes, nevermind hours. It's not unfair... it's just the way it is.

Sorry to break it to you, Kristin, but running a qualifying time doesn't entitle you to a spot in the race!

Perhaps my perspective is different (like Holly's) because a BQ time is still significantly out of my reach, and I've never tried to qualify, or even come close to qualifying.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:35 pm

La wrote:It would be interesting to see if (in fact) more people actually qualified this year, or if more qualifiers have simply decided to register. Demand is clearly up, but is qualifying actually up proportionately?

Yes-- more people are running marathons overall, and more people are qualifying.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:39 pm

Kristen wrote:
mcshame wrote:
!?!?!? <Mcshame eyes bulge out, shakes his head, and walks away from the keyboard>

So...why ask the question if you're not going to stick around for the answer......
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:42 pm

Jwolf wrote:
La wrote:It would be interesting to see if (in fact) more people actually qualified this year, or if more qualifiers have simply decided to register. Demand is clearly up, but is qualifying actually up proportionately?

Yes-- more people are running marathons overall, and more people are qualifying.

Yes... more people are running marathons but I'm not sure the times are getting faster (recent articles indicate not) so I'm thinking it would be that more qualifiers are registering.

I really don't know...just pondering.... :?
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus

Kristen
Bill Crothers

Postby Kristen » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:49 pm

Jo-Jo wrote:
Kristen wrote:
mcshame wrote:

So...why ask the question if you're not going to stick around for the answer......

Not posting doesn't mean I'm not reading. ;)

Over and out.

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:52 pm

Kristen wrote:
Jo-Jo wrote:

Not posting doesn't mean I'm not reading. ;)

Over and out.

Fair enough :lol: :lol:

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:00 pm

deerdree wrote:combined with the other article i linked to in the thread about women's times (where he said changes were NOT imminent), i'm not sure i understand why so many people think the changes are inevitable? at least in the near future? is he saying one thing to the press but planning another?

Well they havent been planning anything yet and these quotes were all from before today. My thinking is that they were waiting to see how it actually unfolded today before they decided if changes would really need to be made. Again this is just my prediction and I never said that my prediction was any more valid than dgrant's or anyone else's.

Note he said changes were not imminent- likely any changes would apply to a year beyond the existing qualifying window so would be further down the road.... in my opinion and humble prediction. ;)
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:

mcshame
Sylvia Ruegger

Postby mcshame » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:09 pm

Kristen wrote:
mcshame wrote:
Kristen wrote:... indeed, Jo-Jo... and that registrant is now totally befuddled as how to respond to this whole crazy business today. I need a few days to mull this over... part of me doesn't want to race it now on principle (how is this whole process fair? or fun, for that matter?). But part of me now does want to race it (even though I was targeting ATB) because I fear now I'll never ever have another chance (either on account of the crazy registration process or dramatically-lowered standards). This sort of puts a new spin on things, for sure. Much pondering to do. :?

I was going to write more, but I had to go for a walk after I read your post.

Kristen, you have qualified for the Meca, The Holy Grail of running, the Boston Marathon. Countless people have recounted how amazing the experience is, once in a lifetime (or multiple I guess), the greatest running experience ever in arguably the greatest running city. I could not, in a million years, understand qualifying for Boston, registering and then not going. I would have had to have lost a leg and then even then I would still try to go.

LadyV
Bill Crothers

Postby LadyV » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:10 pm

Jwolf wrote:
Well they havent been planning anything yet and these quotes were all from before today. My thinking is that they were waiting to see how it actually unfolded today before they decided if changes would really need to be made. Again this is just my prediction and I never said that my prediction was any more valid than dgrant's or anyone else's.

Note he said changes were not imminent- likely any changes would apply to a year beyond the existing qualifying window so would be further down the road.... in my opinion and humble prediction. ;)

yep - change is amiss...And here is a recent quote from Morse (today - after registration closed)

[b]As the registration window has narrowed exponentially, Morse said that he will consider re-configuring the qualification and entry process for the 2012 marathon. “We have to find ways to make it efficient and fair,” he said. “We’ll look at everything.”[/b]
"Don't have time for a run? Go for a run' (Marc Remy - RW)
www.itsmyrun.com

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:14 pm

Ah- so they might change 2012 times too? I was hoping not, but we shall see. :)

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:19 pm

It would be interesting to hear what he thinks would be "fair." Some people consider "first come, first served" to be fair. Other might think that first timers should get an entry, whereas others might think that repeat qualifiers have more entitlement to a spot. I guess we'll have to wait to find out.

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:22 pm

La wrote:It would be interesting to hear what he thinks would be "fair." Some people consider "first come, first served" to be fair. Other might think that first timers should get an entry, whereas others might think that repeat qualifiers have more entitlement to a spot. I guess we'll have to wait to find out.

Colour me selfish.
I'm hoping any changes will be announced soon. I would like to run Boston in 2013 for my 60th birthday and I'd like to know ASAP what I need to do to have this happen.

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:26 pm

Jo-Jo wrote:
La wrote:It would be interesting to hear what he thinks would be "fair." Some people consider "first come, first served" to be fair. Other might think that first timers should get an entry, whereas others might think that repeat qualifiers have more entitlement to a spot. I guess we'll have to wait to find out.

Colour me selfish.
I'm hoping any changes will be announced soon. I would like to run Boston in 2013 for my 60th birthday and I'd like to know ASAP what I need to do to have this happen.

I don't think that's selfish! Runners by nature are pretty Type-A and like to plan ahead. I'm sure there are many others who are planning to run Boston in 2012 and beyond who are thinking the same thing! I don't think they'll announce anything until after the 2011 race has been run.

LadyV
Bill Crothers

Postby LadyV » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:27 pm

Jo-Jo wrote:

Colour me selfish.

I would be surprised they change the qualifying standard for that age bracket :mrgreen:
I think the younger age groups are a little more problematic (because there are a lot more runnners in those age groups)
If anything, they would ease the standard for 60 + :lol:
"Don't have time for a run? Go for a run' (Marc Remy - RW)
www.itsmyrun.com

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:28 pm

La wrote:
Jo-Jo wrote:

Colour me selfish.

I don't think that's selfish! Runners by nature are pretty Type-A and like to plan ahead. I'm sure there are many others who are planning to run Boston in 2012 and beyond who are thinking the same thing! I don't think they'll announce anything until after the 2011 race has been run.

Really? If the changes start for 2012 registration, lots of of people will already be well into their training for qualifying races by then. I think soon....

There's no precedent for this really, and the last changes have made it easier, not harder to qualify (in some age groups), but I hope they come up with a good solution.

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:31 pm

And if they do announce new qualifying standards in 2011, they likely won't take effect until 2013 (since some people have already qualified for 2012 under the current standards). Which means that registrations will be high again for 2012 because people who qualified under the old standard (including those who couldn't get in this year) will all want to get in.

Now that I think of it, the people who are likely really pissed today are those who qualified to run 2010 and 2011 and for whatever reason couldn't get registered today (and won't be able to use that qualifying race for 2012).

deerdree
Kevin Sullivan

Postby deerdree » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:35 pm

Jwolf wrote:Really? If the changes start for 2012 registration, lots of of people will already be well into their training for qualifying races by then. I think soon....

There's no precedent for this really, but I hope they come up with a good solution.

this goes back to the question (in the other thread) of whether people train to BQ or train to run their fastest races, though. if someone knew now that her BQ time was going to change from 3:40 to 3:30, would it affect how she trained for a spring marathon? in theory, BQ times should be irrelevant to spring training - run the best race you have in you that day and let the chips fall where they may when changes are announced. it certainly would take away from the celebration if you finished a race and didn't really know if you'd BQ'ed yet, though! mostly, it would affect long-term race planning...

deerdree
Kevin Sullivan

Postby deerdree » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:36 pm

La wrote:And if they do announce new qualifying standards in 2011, they likely won't take effect until 2013 (since some people have already qualified for 2012 under the current standards). Which means that registrations will be high again for 2012 because people who qualified under the old standard (including those who couldn't get in this year) will all want to get in.

Now that I think of it, the people who are likely really pissed today are those who qualified to run 2010 and 2011 and for whatever reason couldn't get registered today (and won't be able to use that qualifying race for 2012).

but he said they "will consider re-configuring the qualification and entry process for the 2012 marathon" - so it sounds like they would take effect immediately?

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:38 pm

La wrote:
Jo-Jo wrote:

Colour me selfish.

Jwolf wrote:Really? If the changes start for 2012 registration, lots of of people will already be well into their training for qualifying races by then. I think soon....

There's no precedent for this really, and the last changes have made it easier, not harder to qualify (in some age groups), but I hope they come up with a good solution.

I agree. As I said in my post below that one, I don't think they can make changes for 2012 even now because some people have already qualified under the current standards. They'd have to announce them before the qualifying window opened.

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:40 pm

deerdree wrote:
La wrote:And if they do announce new qualifying standards in 2011, they likely won't take effect until 2013 (since some people have already qualified for 2012 under the current standards). Which means that registrations will be high again for 2012 because people who qualified under the old standard (including those who couldn't get in this year) will all want to get in.

but he said they "will consider re-configuring the qualification and entry process for the 2012 marathon" - so it sounds like they would take effect immediately?

Well then that kind of changes his "fair" comment from an earlier statement! You can't change the rules once people have already begun to qualify by the current standards. Well, I guess they can but that wouldn't really be "fair."

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:41 pm

This would have affected me if I had hit my "BQ" time last week. 4:00 would have qualified me for 2012 in theory (since I turn 45 next year after April) but I always knew they could change the rules in the meantime.

It didn't affect my training, though, because I was still going for my best time possible. In fact if I thought I could have gone for 3:50 I would have because that would have been my time for 2011. But my fitness wasn't there yet.
Last edited by Jwolf on Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General Running Discussion”