Robbie-T @ Canadian Masters XC Championships

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
Robbie-T
Jerome Drayton

Robbie-T @ Canadian Masters XC Championships

Postby Robbie-T » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:49 am

Wow!

Race Pictures http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=576150&id=793870117&l=6c7093fba5

I've had this race in my sights all year, this year would be the last year it was held in Guelph, next year it will be hosted out West and who knows when it will be local enough for me to have a chance to run again. So I wanted one more time to experience this highly competitive race, tough course and awesome event! I did run it 2 years ago.

Life had been happening hard and heavy for the few weeks leading up to this race and it was hard to really focus on it, everything possible had been going on, real BIG scary, stuff, most everything has worked it self out for the best. Except for one thing, everyone in my family has been sick for the last few weeks, I had been able to stay free until the week of this race when I start hacking. It hadn't effected my running too much but it did impact my sleep, energy and motivation.

Anyway, I knew nothing was going to stop me from enjoying this race so that other stuff didn't matter at the race. The weather coming up to the race looked perfect, mostly dry and cold, that would make excellent running conditions. However there was cold, wind and snow in the forecast and this time the weather man was bang on! It snowed a bit the night before, then before the race and during, it was almost like blizzard conditions (see race pictures).

Woke up early went skating with the boys at their hockey practice, then busted out to Guelph, got there with loads of time to spare. Got my race kit, the race bib# this year were our names, so cool! Now I'm even more excited.

The course is 4 x a 2k loop = 8k, I went and ran the course as a warm up, I'm running beside this guy and we chat a bit about the course and weather, he asks where I am from and I say "local, Erin". Then I ask him, "Victoria, BC", oh man, I start getting more excited, I'm definitely feeling the caliber of runners that I know show up for a National event, I'm not worthy.

I get my spikes on, make my way to the start area, almost 200 runners, in team shirts, with named bibs on, warming up in the snow! Wow!
A couple minutes before the race is suppose to start, everyone makes their way to the line, now we are on the top of an open hill, the wind is blowing and it is snowing hard. I think they delayed the start for a good 5 minutes just to make us grumpy old men even grumpier! Seriously snow was piling up on top of everyones shoulders and heads.

Eventually we get started, my strategy was to start off a bit comfortable for the first lap at least so I wouldn't blow up early and could maybe pick it up for the last lap. With that many people I got held up at the first corner and got a few elbows, that's all part of the XC race. Eventually after about 1k I found a good spot and ran as hard as possible. Each loop contains a good climb before the start of the next lap, and for the finishing area you climb a large steep hill and then attempt to kick 100m or so to the finish line while dragging your lung behind you. I remember having no kick, but looking at the race video, not many others did either.

The race was over pretty quick, all I remember is pushing, trying to go faster and trying to get more air in my body from anywhere.
My final time was 30:22, I was hoping for under 30:00 but wasn't sure that was possible on this course for me, but without the nasty weather I could have done it.

That time got me 55/192 overall, and 17/26 in my 40-44 age group!!
The winner was in my age group and 8 of the top 10 were too, but I guess we are the young ones out there ;-)

So much fun, I can't wait until next year to get my spikes back on and run XC again. But all this is a warm up for the main event the "Egg Nog Jog" Dec 12, where I attempt to go sub 40:00 for the first time through the hilly 10.8 course that I have raced 6x before. Hopefully I have kicked this cold by then.

splits
3:41, 3:53, 3:42, 3:53, 3:41, 3:58, 3:42, 3:52

results
http://www.guelphrunning.ca/page.php?content=AGSIResults

race video
http://www.runnerspace.com/eprofile.php?do=videos&year=2010&pg=1&event_id=4870&video_id=34435&folder_id=2409&offset=5#video
Mississauga Marathon - 2:52
Around the Bay - 1:58
Click>> Race History
ItsMyRun.com

"If I'm running, it will be a good run" - Robbie-T

"I just hope that people look at it and say, 'Hey if this yahoo can do it, then I can do it too.' That'd be cool if people thought that. It's just a matter of putting the miles in and working. It's not so much how much talent you have. I hope." - Brian Sell.

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift." - Pre

दिवंगत
Bill Crothers

Re: Robbie-T @ Canadian Masters XC Championships

Postby दिवंगत » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:32 am

Crazy, crazy, crazy... I don't know how you do it, but I love reading about it :D Well done, nice run and the experience must have been a great one too. Wish I could do the ENJ, but I'm on the road... :(

ian
Jerome Drayton

Postby ian » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:46 am

Hardcore conditions, but you still managed to hammer every step. One of my training buddies was 6th and he usually implodes when things aren't ideal.

shaggytour2005
Tom Longboat

Postby shaggytour2005 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:21 pm

Awesome effort out there Robbie! Can't believe how much snow was coming down when I saw the pictures on the web site. That would have been some old fashion XC racing for sure.

I missed that race so much wathcing the ticker from work. Damn, i love that course.

See you at Egg Nog Jog! Looks like we have a sold out event and lots of speedsters in the crowd. Darn, it is going to be tough to hold back to save some energy for that monster hill.

Talk soon,
Larry

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:27 pm

Congrats! Great result.

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:30 pm

Awesome result, Robbie! Congrats!
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:47 pm

Big time, Robbie, big time! Right where you belong. I gotta come watch next time.
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

Strider
Jerome Drayton

Postby Strider » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:52 pm

Awesome brother. Ya know usually with your reports you have all the details of this and that through the race, this one is all I ran - it was over....and those are the ones where you are racing and pushing so hard it is all a blur. Great Times. You are THE Master.
Help Fight Children's Cancer with Sears Canada and GoodGuysTri - 26 Team Mates, All Running 100km, 1 Goal.
If you have the time please read my participation page and consider a donation.

Miss*Smiles
Lynn Williams

Postby Miss*Smiles » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:04 pm

Wow! Incredible pictures - and what a great run! Congratulations!
When your legs get tired, run with your heart.

Overcome the notion that you must be regular. It robs you of your chance to be extraordinary.

MrsStrider
Bill Crothers

Postby MrsStrider » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:59 pm

Wow - you look intense Robbie! Amazing focus and amazing speed. So happy that you were able to get out and enjoy the race and let all your troubles go and just GO for it. Congrats on another great race. :dance:
Mrs. Strider :)
.....What I can't do is ALL in my Head. What I CAN do is ALL in my Heart.

orleansrunner1962
Jerome Drayton

Postby orleansrunner1962 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:04 pm

Crazy weather -- so strange to see all you guys in shorts -- glad you got to the race.... !!

Great stuff.....
2014:
Mar - Around the Bay 30 km - Done
May - Sulphur Spring 100 miler - DNS
Sept - Army HM
Sept/Oct - 50 miler
Oct - Pace Bunny - Toronto Scotia Waterfront
Dec - Reggae Marathon in Jamaica

mcshame
Sylvia Ruegger

Postby mcshame » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:12 pm

:lol: Look at that race weather! love it!

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:50 pm

Great race, Rob. Love the pictures.

good luck on the Egg Nog Jog-- you might need to wear those spikes for that, too. :)
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Ken B
Lynn Williams

Postby Ken B » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:17 am

Great race Robbie. :D

Kimdawg
Tom Longboat

Postby Kimdawg » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:40 pm

Great race, congratulations!
Can't wait to read your ENJ race report.

chunkymonkeymelonhed
Lynn Williams

Postby chunkymonkeymelonhed » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:21 pm

Who's going to let a little white out condition stop them?
Not Robbie-T!!
Congrats.
On the books for 2017:
50th Birthday!!
Boston Marathon- April 17th what a day- DREAM COME TRUE :dance:
Run for Water 10K- May 28th
Scotia Half - June 25th
Trail River Run half marathon- Sept. 30- CANCELLED
MEC 10K Race 10- Nov. 5

tgilpin
Bruce Kidd

Postby tgilpin » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:17 pm

Congratulations!!! Those pics sure are awe-inspiring :D
2014 Races
Chilly Half Marathon Mar.2 - made it to the finish line
Mississauga Half Marathon - May 4
Philladelphia Full Marathon - Nov.23

canalrunner
Bill Crothers

Postby canalrunner » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:46 am

Congrats on the run. Interesting the rolling fluctuation of your splits times. Dragging your lung to finish is a great image--worthy of many 5k, XC and trail run events.

Cheers
The longest journey begins with a single step.
2016 Races
May: Ottawa Marathon

Return to “Run/Race Reports”