How do poor people run in the winter?? Help!

Clothing, accessories, equipment, etc.
princessjess
Tom Longboat

How do poor people run in the winter?? Help!

Postby princessjess » Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:23 pm

Hi there...OK so I'm poor. I'm "recent graduate with student loans trying to break into a career in the arts" kind of poor.

And based on the research I've done, It costs over $100 just for a JACKET to run in in the winter. That doesn't even factor in the long underwear, gloves, pants, shirt...and anything else I might need.

I obviously can't afford a treadmill and I'm a big wimp when it comes to cold weather.

What should I do????? How do I dress for my winter runs on a (VERY) tight budget. I've never been a winter sports person so I have NOTHING in my closet that would be appropriate.

Hope you can help me.

Thank you!
Jess
5K in the T.O. Waterfront Marathon: Sept 25/05 - 38:02 (first race EVER!)

Next Up:
Toronto Island Give-It-A-Tri: August 18, 2007!!!

Sir Crashalot
Abby Hoffman

Postby Sir Crashalot » Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:31 pm

When I started winter running back in Jan/Feb, I used my spring/fall nylon windbreaker, any cotton t-shirt, any hooded sweatshirt & sweat pants, plain cotton sport socks, any gloves, my toque & running shoes.
Set to go.
Image Fortes Fortuna Juvat!
In support of injured Canadian Forces soldiers, please donate to Soldier On! http://www.cfpsa.com/Splashpages/SoldierOn/
Never really ready but always ready!

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:34 pm

Sir Crashalot wrote:When I started winter running back in Jan/Feb, I used my spring/fall nylon windbreaker, any cotton t-shirt, any hooded sweatshirt & sweat pants, plain cotton sport socks, any gloves, my toque & running shoes.
Set to go.

Whatever you do, princessjess, is "Don't Wear Cotton !!!!! :twisted: " in the winter time ... 'cause you will pay the freezer-piper .... :shock:

andy :) Peace !!!!
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:41 pm

Princess:

If you are a size small...I may be able to help you out with a few items...i.e. long sleeved wicking shirt, tights...head band...long underwear.

Yes...I love running clothes...and quite frankly can donate a few.

PM if I can help. Will send out at my expense.

Joanne
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

Scott
Bill Crothers

Postby Scott » Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:44 pm

Jess: Get yourself one of MEC's trail running jackets - they're under $100 and work wonders in the winter. Add a layer of poly long underwear on cold days and you're all set.

Check out the used clothing stores near you, we've picking up or seen lots of technical clothing at our local Frenchy's Stores

Scott

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:54 pm

Hey Jess,

Sounds like Jo-Jo's got your back. I wouldn't worry too much about it to be honest. Generally, staying warm is not a factor on runs in the winter. You definitely need to protect against frost-bite on exposed skin, but otherwise I bet it will be less of an issue than you're anticipating. I've run outdoors on some pretty cold days in a couple under layers plus a sweatshirt.

Agent Provocateur
Bill Crothers

Postby Agent Provocateur » Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:48 pm

Run faster!

1) It will be over sooner

2) You'll be warm in no time

Hmmm... otherwise I say look for sales, and MEC can be a lot cheaper than the Running Room.

-Natalie
Love life, eat plants, do yoga.

Run26.2
Jerome Drayton

Postby Run26.2 » Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:03 pm

Agent Provocateur wrote:

Hmmm... otherwise I say look for sales, and MEC can be a lot cheaper than the Running Room.

-Natalie

Right...and Winners is even cheaper than MEC...I've picked up long sleeve technical shirts in Winners at bargin basement prices...you have to dig a bit, but those babies are in there...good luck and get a really good hat as most of your body heat escapes off the top of your noggin'.. 8)
"...twenty miles of hope, six miles of truth..."
21 marathons since 2001......up next, CND Army half-marathon in Sept. and Toronto Waterfront marathon in Oct.

MINITEE
Lynn Williams

Postby MINITEE » Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:00 pm

Jess - are you comfy with eBay?

I was in your predicament last year, first year running, didn't want to sink a lot of cash into it in case I didn't stick with it.

I got some great deals on both gently used and new stuff. A few examples:

Nike Running windbreaker - $10-15
REI (like MEC) windbreaker $12.00
New balance micro fibre tights $15.00 (brand spankin new, retail $80.00)
New Balance micro fibre top with the long sleeves & thumb holes that match the tighst $10-15(again, brand new)
I also picked up a couple of sets of cheapo micro-fibre long johns & long sleeve t's at Giant Tiger - $12.00/piece.

I also picked up all kinds of those mini gloves & a couple of fleece headbands & hats at the $$ store... those are an essential.

Luckily, I'm also a skiier (downhill) and I can use most of this stuff for both sports. The only thing I bought at my local running store were a couple of pairs of winter double layer socks at $15.00 a pair....

You can do it on a budget - Trust me... :wink:

I'll see what I've got to spare & if I come up with anything I'll PM ya...

Tracy
Last edited by MINITEE on Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
KEEP GOING, NEVER GIVE UP: Spencer D

Hey, be careful around me, apparently I'm a chronically offended kind of person... ;)

BJH
Lynn Williams

Postby BJH » Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:04 pm

Wool will work as well as performance fabric in terms of keeping you warm. Wool sweaters may be available at second hand stores. Check labels. Not pretty, but cheap.

Performance long underwear is your frined. Get mid weight stuff from MEC.

Cheap gloves (0.99 at Walmart) will work as well as stuff that is more expensive.

Run26.2 is right, wear a hat. :)
The road to hell is paved. Run trails.

Sir Crashalot
Abby Hoffman

Postby Sir Crashalot » Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:15 pm

HCD wrote:
Sir Crashalot wrote:When I started winter running back in Jan/Feb, I used my spring/fall nylon windbreaker, any cotton t-shirt, any hooded sweatshirt & sweat pants, plain cotton sport socks, any gloves, my toque & running shoes.
Set to go.

Whatever you do, princessjess, is "Don't Wear Cotton !!!!! :twisted: " in the winter time ... 'cause you will pay the freezer-piper .... :shock:

andy :) Peace !!!!

Actually, I never did feel cold once! Felt really sweaty though! The only problem I had was with my hands & the ski gloves I was using. Really, really sweaty!
In support of injured Canadian Forces soldiers, please donate to Soldier On! http://www.cfpsa.com/Splashpages/SoldierOn/

Sir Crashalot
Abby Hoffman

Postby Sir Crashalot » Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:18 pm

Run26.2 wrote:
Agent Provocateur wrote:

-Natalie

Right...and Winners is even cheaper than MEC...I've picked up long sleeve technical shirts in Winners at bargin basement prices...you have to dig a bit, but those babies are in there...good luck and get a really good hat as most of your body heat escapes off the top of your noggin'.. 8)

Just over at Winner's 2 weeks ago. A whole bunch of tech tees for about $10.00 on sale. A really great place to go shopping for the budget minded. Got a new pair of track pants for $30 for ball hockey usage which I have seen in the big box stores for $60+!

jacob42.2
Bill Crothers

Postby jacob42.2 » Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:33 pm

It's gotta be winners baby! haha.....if not, and you really don't or can't run outside in the winter...how much does a 3-4 month gym membership cost?
PB's: 5k: 16:40 10K: 34:59 21.1: 1:17:16 Marathon: 02:50:47
RUNNING MANIA #2

Ironboy
Abby Hoffman

Re: How do poor people run in the winter?? Help!

Postby Ironboy » Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:41 pm

princessjess wrote:What should I do????? How do I dress for my winter runs on a (VERY) tight budget. I've never been a winter sports person so I have NOTHING in my closet that would be appropriate.

Gradually. The first purchase I saved up for was pants, RR has some nice, plain windbreaker on the front stretch $60, waited for a sale. (I had been running in cotton lined nylon track pants, With cotton longjohns on the really cold days, Came back drenched. )

Then I got a hoody base layer. no more double t-shirts.

I still need a good shell, better gloves, and some kind a hat.

Run26.2
Jerome Drayton

Re: How do poor people run in the winter?? Help!

Postby Run26.2 » Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:56 pm

Jacc wrote:[

I still need a good shell, better gloves, and some kind a hat.

Pick up a balaclava (sp?) at the RR...I love mine...covers my head and entire face so that only my eyes peer out...keeps my head warm...great for those really, really cold, windy days...if it's super cold I'll wear a headband over it for extra ear protection...flexible enough to pull back when it warms up a bit..well worth the $$$
"...twenty miles of hope, six miles of truth..."
21 marathons since 2001......up next, CND Army half-marathon in Sept. and Toronto Waterfront marathon in Oct.

melissa
Johnny Miles

Postby melissa » Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:39 am

I am a poor student, so I had to tough out the winter for a while last year. I realized a couple months in that I would be serious about it so I saved up my cash.

Until then, I just wore whatever to keep me warm... cotton leggings from walmart, a cheap dri-fit tank under a fleese jacket, hat, gloves, and extra warm socks. I survived.. the only I had a problem was not getting wicked chills during cool-down and a couple hrs after my run. I dodged getting sick by keeping very warm with *hot showers and bundling up right after my runs and taking vitamins.*

I"m not sure if what I did was 'right' but it worked for me. But if you were serious about running, especially in the winter, then I say save your money for some quality goods. IT'S WORTH IT! You can always find knock-offs.

I have,right now, Louis Garnier spandex reflective tights (on sale for $50), Helly Hanson Lifa tights and long sleeve top (~$35/piece) *A MUST*, a cheap fleese sweater I bought at Wal-mart, and a Louis Garnier windbreaker, which was a gift, that was $120. But I'm sure you can find cheaper. The jacket was expensive, I think, only becasue it has mesh vents.. and it's a name brand. I've been the exact same jacket, without vents for $40. I bought Mom a New Balance track suit that is similir (minus vents) for $40 on sale at SportChek.

And don't forget warm muttens (glvoes dont keep fingers warm enough I found) a hat, scarf, and vasoline on knuckles and hands, and most importantly any exposed skin.

Hope this helps! :D
The miracle isn't that I finished.. The miracle is that I had the courage to start.
"Just listen to your heart.. That's what I do" -Napoleon Dynamite

Next: Hypothermic 1/2 Marathon - Feb. 26 - SJ

Portentous
Bill Crothers

Postby Portentous » Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:38 am

Dri-fit type shirts are great but not needed. Plain old cheap polyester should do the trick, failing which even cotton is fine. Just remember people were running in cotton for years before this wicking idea hit it big.

The trick is to wear many thin layers, and try to dress just below the point where you start sweating hard. Sweat and a winter freeze don't mix well. For most runs under 40 minutes you won't be under any disadvantage by not running in the best materials. Over an hour, and you should start saving up.

Finally, the most important aspect about winter running is to start every run running INTO the wind. The worst thing you can do would be to start a run with the wind in your back, pushing you along, staying nice and warm. You'll go fast and work up a nice sweat, and when it's time to turn around, you are gauranteed to cry like a baby when you start to FREEZE.

The Donald
Jerome Drayton

Postby The Donald » Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:44 pm

Base Layer: Your summer gear $0
Mid layer: Sweats and another long sleeved shirt or fleece(can even be cotton, cause base layer shirt shouldn't be.) Hopefully, already in your possession, but if not thrift shop $0-$15.
Outer Layer: Normal winter jacket, or if you already have a fancy reflective jacket. $0
If you don't have reflective jacket. Reflectors or Light. $10 -20
Touque: Walmart $5 Stretchy wool gloves Walmart $1-5.

Neck/Face warmer: $10-$20

Total cost: $0-$65.

The Donald
Jerome Drayton

Postby The Donald » Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:46 pm

Oh and I forgot

Satisfaction for running all Winter: Priceless!

For everything else there's MasterCard! (okay, seen the ads too many times)

princessjess
Tom Longboat

Postby princessjess » Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:59 pm

Thank you all so much for the advice. I must say, everyone has very different perspecitves on winter running! But that's the beauty of these boards.

I'll let you know what happens after the first (shudder...) snowfall (another shudder...)

Let's enjoy the last few weeks of summer people!
:D

Jess

Next Up:

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Sun Sep 04, 2005 1:14 pm

Jess, until I started running distances more than 10K, I honestly didn't notice ANY detriment to wearing cotton. Seriously!!

When I was starting out, in university, I would run in... longjohns underneath track pants, a long sleeved shirt under a sweatshirt under a fleece vest, mittens and a toque. All my old ghetto-university chick clothing. And I was FINE! I looked like a dork, but oh well... :) As long as you're layering and you don't have exposed skin you'll be OK.
I would maybe ask for a running jacket for Christmas or your birthday (I love my RR one with the zipaway sleeves, and MEC has some nice ones), as well as the RR toque and mitts. A good pair of Sugoi sub zero tights would also be nice. But don't stress too much- until you're running for more than an hour or so you should be fine!
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

Cheermidget
Bruce Kidd

Postby Cheermidget » Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:13 am

PrincessJess,

I was in Walmart on Friday, and I saw these turtlenecks and leggings in the women's underwear section..they're called "Bestform" (or something of that nature). Polyester/lycra blend, $12.98 each. Great as underlayers for winter running. Yes, I went nuts.

I personally find that that I don't need that many layers on my bottom (just a good pair of leggings, and tearaways if it's really cold) and not so many on top (sports bra, long sleeved shirt, running jacket). It's the hands (good mittens..sometimes I put those cheap dollar store stretch gloves and then wool ones on top), feet (wool socks are your friend) and ears/head (toque! I recommend hot pink! :D ) that matter the most.

If I go shopping again (which I will) and come across a cheap deal, I'll let you know!

From one poor student to another,

~Rae
~Rae

princessjess
Tom Longboat

Postby princessjess » Tue Sep 06, 2005 12:44 pm

Sweet, thanks Rae!

Next Up:

Return to “Gearing Up”