Iron Legs 50 Miler Registration

You didn't need those toenails, did you?
Jim Bob
Percy Williams

Iron Legs 50 Miler Registration

Postby Jim Bob » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:49 pm

Just letting everyone know that registration will be opening for Iron Legs on December 10th. You can go to www.ironlegs.ca to register or go to www.ultrasignup.com and look under Canadian 50 milers. Last year was a great race and sold out with a month to go before the race so if you are looking at doing the race sign up early.

Albertatraildog
Bruce Kidd

Re: Iron Legs 50 Miler Registration

Postby Albertatraildog » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:26 pm

I've heard that this is a great race and I've signed up this year. So, can anyone who's run it tell me a little about it? Leg by Leg breakdown would be most appreciated!

Size5
Lynn Williams

Postby Size5 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:56 pm

Albertatraildog wrote:I've heard that this is a great race and I've signed up this year. So, can anyone who's run it tell me a little about it? Leg by Leg breakdown would be most appreciated!

Are you on FB? There are a whole bunch of good photos to look at along with an elevation chart. I believe THEY are the reason I have NOT signed up :lol:
Vancouver 2012 Done!
Considering CIM 2012

Albertatraildog
Bruce Kidd

Postby Albertatraildog » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:26 pm

ha ha... come on sign up! It is supposed to be a great race. I'm looking for info on each leg. ie pole or no poles, recommended amount of sports drink and nutrition per leg etc.. I suppose I could find the results per leg from last year and look at the split times per leg to get an idea. But nothing beats first hand experience!

Size5
Lynn Williams

Postby Size5 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:02 pm

Albertatraildog wrote:ha ha... come on sign up! It is supposed to be a great race. I'm looking for info on each leg. ie pole or no poles, recommended amount of sports drink and nutrition per leg etc.. I suppose I could find the results per leg from last year and look at the split times per leg to get an idea. But nothing beats first hand experience!

Well let me know if you find it because I'd be interested in it as well...
Vancouver 2012 Done!
Considering CIM 2012

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:20 pm

The first two legs are the same as the first part of Powderface42.

Leg 1 involves a bit of climbing (switchbacks), but the trail itself is gentle, mostly. I remember some loose shale sections and a river bed crossing (dry, but rocky). Here are some images from the first leg:

Leg 2 usually has some creek crossings (probably less in August, depending on the weather...). There is one big climb in Leg 2, going part way up Powderface ridge (but not all the way). The trail is more rocky and technical in this section as well... so between technical trail, creek crossings, and climbing it's a tougher section... lots of people slow down on this one. Photos:

I'm not familiar with Leg 3 and 4, but Leg 4 will involve some climbing because you are going up Jumpingpound Ridge. I've done Jumpingpound but from the opposite end so I have only done parts of that trail. The trail here is again fairly technical. The view up there is spectactular, and it's one of my favourite hikes:

During section 4 you'll go over the summit of Jumpingpound Ridge and then head down to get to Cox Hill. That down section gets fairly steep, windy, and sandy, if memory serves (I've only done that part once). Then you have to go over Cox Hill, and on to the 3rd Aid station. Given the distance between the unmanned water station and Aid station 3, plus all the up/down you have in that time, I'd say to make sure you're well-stocked with water and food upon leaving Aid Station 2. It's a long haul to 3.

I haven't done the rest of the course so can't help with that part.

I still really want to do this race though! Just don't know when it will happen... now I'm on the wrong side of the mountains. :)
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Size5
Lynn Williams

Postby Size5 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:32 pm

Great photos!!! looks like some great hiking/running trails there :) Now that I'm closer to that region I hope to take it in once or twice this summer.
Vancouver 2012 Done!
Considering CIM 2012

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:19 am

I should add that in August there is the potential for heat... and as you can see in some of the photos, there are lots of exposed sections with little/no tree cover. So be prepared for that... when I did powderface it was 30C and sunny and SO HOT!!
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Jim Bob
Percy Williams

Postby Jim Bob » Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:04 am

Hey Gang,

I can pick up from aid station 2. It follows a rolling trail that can be fairly wet for about 5k before climbing up onto Jumpingpound Ridge and up onto the summit, you than move back along the ridge to the saddle between Jumpingpound Ridge and Cox Hill. The last major climb than takes you up onto Cox Hill and gives you some fantastic views of the moutains and also the prairies. The decent down to aid station 3 can be steep in places and fairly technical so watch your footing. Aid station 3 is the last relay exchange point and the trail going over to aid station 4 is fast, rolling and fun, there is a short but steep climb up to aid station 4 so be ready. Heading to aid staton 5 will take you along the Tom Snow trail which is always wet and muddy, and there might even be some cows wondering around so keep your eyes open. The last little bit before getting to aid station 5 is on a gravel road. The last section to the finish starts out on a gravel road for a few kms before turning onto a fantastic single track trail that rolls along to the finish.

The weather both years has been cool and a bit rainy, over all I would say it is great running weather, just not so great for the volunteers.

There was a question about poles, my feeling is that they really aren't needed but than again I don't really like running with them. If a person likes them than legs 1 and 2 would be the ones a person would want to use them, and of them leg 2 would be the first choice for poles.

Hope this helps.

UltraQueenga
Jerome Drayton

Postby UltraQueenga » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:46 am

Nice places. Thanks for sharing pictures of the course! A picture is worth a million words (and course descriptions). :D
Ultrarunner again

Albertatraildog
Bruce Kidd

Postby Albertatraildog » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:42 pm

Thanks so much for the photos and course descriptions. I'm getting excited already! I'll likely take your advise and try out the poles on leg two. And I propose we do a training run sometime this summer if anyone is interested. Does anyone have or know where to download the GPS track of the whole course? Would be be useful for the training run.

Jim Bob
Percy Williams

Postby Jim Bob » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:53 am

There will be a training weekend in late June or early July so stay tuned.

Return to “Ultras and Trail Running”