Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

For beginners, penguins, re-beginners, social types and the more low key runners for whom Boston is a tea party, not a race in the near future
Andes
Johnny Miles

Re: Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

Postby Andes » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:50 pm

Hi everyone, just wanted to announce that I am well on my way to becoming a hot running mom :D . No running yet, but my beautiful little guy was born a month ago today! He is keeping me busy, which explains why it took me a month to post this...
I haven't decided yet when I'll start running. I am recovering from a c-section, and while I feel great I want to be very careful not to rush things, especially since I was not active in the last part of my pregnancy due to complications. I have been taking the little guy out for walks in the stroller and the ergo, which I am excited to do more of as the weather gets nicer. The next thing on my to-do list is to figure out how to fasten the shoulder strap for the ergo without help - I must be lacking some serious flexibility or something as right now it does not seem possible!
Thanks to everyone for the continued inspiration in this thread :).

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:53 pm

congratulations!! :)
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:15 pm

Congratulations Andes! Details please!
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

Nothing will change if you never choose.

2018 goals: May half marathon, September half marathon

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:29 pm

Congrats Andes! Yes, details please, his name? :)

Re: shoulder strap on the ergo, a very common issue (my DH can't do it up either!). I recommend putting it on done up but SUPER loose (as loose as it goes that still gives you a bit of 'leash' part to pull to tighten) and they you just have to get your one arm up to tighten it. Does that make any sense (and does that help? I am glad you like the ergo (do you use the infant insert? I dislike the infant insert, but otherwise love the ergo).

Ok, this baby will not be walked out. I tried 3 walks yesterday, 2 of them up the big hill. On one walk I had crazy strong contractions on the hill, but then nothing doing afterwards. DH says "she is a girl since she is stubborn like her mom!" :lol:
Lady of the Order of the Velour Track Suit

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:34 pm

IronColl wrote:Congratulations Andes! Details please!

Exactly this post!

Andes
Johnny Miles

Postby Andes » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:51 pm

:lol: OK, the details! His name is Jasper. He was just under 7 pounds at birth, but has done a great job gaining weight and is now about 8.5 pounds. He has a lot of dark brown hair, just not on top (he is working on a pretty good rat tail in the back :) ). And he has just learned how to smile, which is very exciting! So far he really enjoys rides in his stroller or the carrier, which I hope continues.

Pts, I heard a similar tip on the shoulder strap elsewhere - I will give it a try soon. Yes, I am using the infant insert - I don't really like it either, but it is kind of nice in the current weather as it provides a lot of extra warmth. I thought of getting a non structured carrier for the first few months, but ended up just getting the ergo, so I will have to make do.

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:05 pm

Andes wrote::lol: OK, the details! His name is Jasper. He was just under 7 pounds at birth, but has done a great job gaining weight and is now about 8.5 pounds. He has a lot of dark brown hair, just not on top (he is working on a pretty good rat tail in the back :) ). And he has just learned how to smile, which is very exciting! So far he really enjoys rides in his stroller or the carrier, which I hope continues.

Pts, I heard a similar tip on the shoulder strap elsewhere - I will give it a try soon. Yes, I am using the infant insert - I don't really like it either, but it is kind of nice in the current weather as it provides a lot of extra warmth. I thought of getting a non structured carrier for the first few months, but ended up just getting the ergo, so I will have to make do.

Oh, Jasper is such a cute name! Yay for gaining weight Jasper :)

Soon enough you won't need the infant insert and it is a great carrier otherwise! Non-structured carriers are awesome for the first few months, but when they get big, nothing beats an Ergo IMO (well, except a Manduca, but they are so similar!).

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:11 pm

Thanks Andes. Great name too!
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

Nothing will change if you never choose.

2018 goals: May half marathon, September half marathon

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:28 pm

I have no comments on the Ergo, but I have had good luck with both the Bjorn (borrowed) and Baby Hawk (purchased).

Thanks for the details, Andes! :D Those first smiles are so precious!

Hammie
Jerome Drayton

Postby Hammie » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:41 pm

Congrats, Andes! Jasper sounds like a lovely little guy (and I love the name).
2014: the year of new awesomeness!
Rogers Insurance Run for L'Arche Half March 22 - done
Calgary Marathon Wild Rose 50k June 1 - done
Stampede Road Race 5k July 6 - done
Magrath sprint tri July 12 - done!!
Jog for the Bog 10k July 27 - done
Seawheeze Half Marathon August 23 - done
Subaru Banff Sprint Triathlon September 6 - done
Blitz Duathlon September 21 - registered
Portland Marathon October 5 - registered

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:22 pm

FishPants wrote:I have no comments on the Ergo, but I have had good luck with both the Bjorn (borrowed) and Baby Hawk (purchased).

Oh, I love the babyhawk! It is on my 'may purchase' list since it is good from Newborn through to toddler. But, since I already own 3 carriers (ergo, wrap and sling that my friends just gave me), I don't know if I can justify a babyhawk. :oops: I also have a bjorn, I should try to sell it since I don't love it (and maybe purchase a babyhawk instead?!).

AndyM
Bill Crothers

Postby AndyM » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:33 pm

Congrats Andes! You are doing great to be out walking! I found even walking so hard at the beginning. My daughter turned one on March 9th and is now literally RUNNING. It is very cute.

Got out for 29k today. Ugh, the last 10K really, really sucked. Being back at work, trying to be a good Mom and trying to train for a marathon is totally zonking me out.

Lightning, tubesocks...hehehe!

2014 Races:
Around the Bay 30K - DNS :(
ORW Marathon - 3:38:11 - PB & first BQ!!!!

Personal Bests:
Marathon - May 2014 - 3:38:11-----30K - Mar 2013 - 2:37:42----1/2 Marathon - Oct 2013- 1:38:53----10K - Oct 2012 - 45:31-----5K - Feb 2009 - 22:21

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:41 pm

AndyM wrote:Congrats Andes! You are doing great to be out walking! I found even walking so hard at the beginning. My daughter turned one on March 9th and is now literally RUNNING. It is very cute.

Got out for 29k today. Ugh, the last 10K really, really sucked. Being back at work, trying to be a good Mom and trying to train for a marathon is totally zonking me out.

Lightning, tubesocks...hehehe!

Andy, that still rocks, even if it felt crappy! I didn't get anywhere near 29k after G (and before this pregnancy). You are doing amazing, I am in awe!

Edited to add- wait a second, wasn't ATB just last week? You ran 29k the week after ATB, I bow down to you!

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:22 pm

Congratulations Andes!!!

Pts, sent that baby an eviction notice! We're all waiting!! :D

AndyM - that's just crazypants! 29k one week after ATB?!?! You're going to smoke NCM this year!

I'm still plugging away...my 10k clinic schedule is a bit nutso. I ran 10k today, which gave me a 32k total for the week. I have one day of hills, one day of speedwork with the group, one tempo run and one long run. I is tired!
If it ain’t broke, run through it -- Strider

toobusy
Jerome Drayton

Postby toobusy » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:27 pm

Huh. Surprise crappy weather outside - that should be the go for Pts labour.

anners
Jerome Drayton

Postby anners » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:11 pm

Congrats Andes!!

AndyM, you rock! I barely slogged out 4k this weekend, hah! But, I do not have a marathon to train for. I totally hear ya about working/training/being a mom being draining. It is tough!!!

jes, good mileage!!! Sounds like you are doing really well!

pts, I've been stalking you!!! Out baby out!!

I love the Ergo! I don't have problems doing up the straps, but DH and my FIL need help with it every time. I am still carrying V in front and she is 12.5 months!! However, she is only 25% (err, percentile) for height!

(Hmm, my post looks strangely like Lightning wrote it, with all of the exclamation marks!!!)

Nothing much happening here. I've done a couple of 30 min runs since ATB, but that's it. A few of my friends have been bugging me about Mississauga/Toronto, but I don't feel like committing to a half or full right now. I think I'll be happy to just run for fun for awhile.

AndyM
Bill Crothers

Postby AndyM » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:25 pm

anners wrote:I love the Ergo! I don't have problems doing up the straps, but DH and my FIL need help with it every time. I am still carrying V in front and she is 12.5 months!! However, she is only 25% (err, percentile) for height!

Seriously? OMG, YOU rock. Amelia is not that big either...about 21lbs, maybe less, but I haven't been able to carry her in front for a loooooooong time. I think I need to bump up my weight lifting regime, to um, some weight lifting. I did a boot camp class this week at the gym at work and it seriously left me in way worse shape than running 30K did. HOw is that right?

2014 Races:

Personal Bests:
Marathon - May 2014 - 3:38:11-----30K - Mar 2013 - 2:37:42----1/2 Marathon - Oct 2013- 1:38:53----10K - Oct 2012 - 45:31-----5K - Feb 2009 - 22:21

AndyM
Bill Crothers

Postby AndyM » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:25 pm

Oh, and Jes, when did you become Jes?

2014 Races:

Personal Bests:

Andes
Johnny Miles

Postby Andes » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:29 pm

Semi off topic question: does anyone have advice that helps with gassy newborns? Our little guy has been having a tough time lately, and nothing seems to work. I don't think it is related to anything I'm eating.

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:32 pm

Andes wrote:Semi off topic question: does anyone have advice that helps with gassy newborns? Our little guy has been having a tough time lately, and nothing seems to work. I don't think it is related to anything I'm eating.

we've been giving our little buy "Biogaia"

- it's not cheap (about 25 - 30 for about a month's worth) - it's a probiotic - you give 5 drops/day......you have to ask for it at the pharmacy - and it's in the fridge (they sometimes don't know what you are asking for).

On days that I forget to give it - the next day, Dexter is screaming his head off.....

and, as I write this, I realize that I forgot to give him some today (we're all out).

I was in at Costco on Thursday evening (alone), and they were all out - told me they would have some in in the morning. I loaded both kids up after Delilah's nap on Friday - got there, and they didn't have any!! ARGH!
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:46 pm

AndyM wrote:Oh, and Jes, when did you become Jes?

A few weeks ago. I needed a change.
If it ain’t broke, run through it -- Strider

Andes
Johnny Miles

Postby Andes » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:05 pm

Thanks for tip Irongirl! I have some other drops, but they are meant to be used only in the middle of a gas 'crisis', and I'm not sure whether they are working. I definitely prefer the idea of a preventative approach - hopefully they work for us!

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:33 pm

pts wrote:
FishPants wrote:I have no comments on the Ergo, but I have had good luck with both the Bjorn (borrowed) and Baby Hawk (purchased).

Oh, I love the babyhawk! It is on my 'may purchase' list since it is good from Newborn through to toddler. But, since I already own 3 carriers (ergo, wrap and sling that my friends just gave me), I don't know if I can justify a babyhawk. :oops: I also have a bjorn, I should try to sell it since I don't love it (and maybe purchase a babyhawk instead?!).

I messaged Dan and told him I was getting a carrier...should I get fish or dragons? He replied "DRAGONS!" and forgot to ask why we needed a carrier :) It was useful when we went to England, since John was not walking yet, and we didn't get the stroller back until after the hour-long wait at Customs.

Andes wrote:Semi off topic question: does anyone have advice that helps with gassy newborns? Our little guy has been having a tough time lately, and nothing seems to work. I don't think it is related to anything I'm eating.

When John was wee, we had a ton of problems with gas. It turned out I was a very prolific producer, and he was getting too much foremilk, and not enough hindmilk. He had green-ish poops, screamingly bad gas, and gained weight quickly. Our solution was to feed on one side only for about 3 hours. So I would feed off righty, and if he was hungry again before the 3 hours was up, he would get righty again. Only after about 3 hours would I switch to lefty. I wore a silicone bracelet so I could remember what side I was on. Sometimes, I would also pump off some foremilk before feeding, which also helped.

I found this article helpful: http://breastfeeding.hypermart.net/toomuchmilk.html

We also used gripe water, the alcohol free type, and it also helped.

PS: I don't think anything is off topic here :)

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:54 am

andes - congratulations on the arrival of your little guy! Wonderful name. We actually found out we were expecting when we were in Jasper, AB this summer, so I really pushed for Jasper as a boy name!

I am officially done with work - today is my first "don't need to go to the office day"! My job is very busy and the long hours were just getting to be too much. I'm so glad to be done (though I love my job and miss it already!). I've been loving the nicer weather and have been getting out to walk more - now I'll be able to walk during the day and hopefully get in a bit more swimming as well.

We found out last week that babe is breech, so I've been spending some quality time my knees on my couch and my head on the floor. No luck yet!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

Tori
Jerome Drayton

Postby Tori » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:14 am

scrumhalfgirl wrote:I am officially done with work - today is my first "don't need to go to the office day"! My job is very busy and the long hours were just getting to be too much. I'm so glad to be done (though I love my job and miss it already!). I've been loving the nicer weather and have been getting out to walk more - now I'll be able to walk during the day and hopefully get in a bit more swimming as well.

We found out last week that babe is breech, so I've been spending some quality time my knees on my couch and my head on the floor. No luck yet!

Yay Jesse for being done work! Hopefully you can get baby to spin this week. :pray:

I haven't seen pts on here this morning. Hopefully the baby got its eviction notice.

Return to “The Scenic Route”