Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

For beginners, penguins, re-beginners, social types and the more low key runners for whom Boston is a tea party, not a race in the near future
Lightning
Bill Crothers

Re: Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

Postby Lightning » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:55 pm

Congrats, Andes!!! Great long run, AndyM! Scrummy, congrats on being done work! Anners, what do you mean I use lots of exclamation marks????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Andes, I too used the gripe water sans alcohol with my guy. I also tried to alter my diet to avoid different things. Eventually our little guy just seemed "outgrow" his tummy trouble; we concluded that perhaps time was the best cure. He just needed time to mature a bit tummy-wise. That doesn't help though when you are trying to help your little one through tummy issues though, does it?
Lightning :)

We're going to try this new thing called jogging. Or maybe it's yogging-with a silent "j". Apparently you just run for an extended period of time. It's supposed to be wild.

-Ron Burgandy

geobandito
Johnny Miles

Postby geobandito » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:11 pm

Welcome, Jasper! What a great name.

I have also had a few nearly dislocated shoulders trying to hook the Ergo, but I'm getting better at it. I found that doing it while sitting on the couch helped, although I'm not sure why it would. We got ours when Zain was a bit older, so we never had a newborn insert, but I know lots of people that hate it. But someone also told us that they're making the inserts differently now - that's it more of a cannoli than a taco shell - and they work a little better.

pts, since the hills aren't working.... A also did lots of lunges and squats. :-) And supposedly the BLT from the Locke Street Bakery in Hamilton is a labour-inducer!
2014 Running Plans
remembering how to run!

toobusy
Jerome Drayton

Postby toobusy » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:59 am

geobandito wrote:Welcome, Jasper! What a great name.

I have also had a few nearly dislocated shoulders trying to hook the Ergo, but I'm getting better at it. I found that doing it while sitting on the couch helped, although I'm not sure why it would. We got ours when Zain was a bit older, so we never had a newborn insert, but I know lots of people that hate it. But someone also told us that they're making the inserts differently now - that's it more of a cannoli than a taco shell - and they work a little better.

pts, since the hills aren't working.... A also did lots of lunges and squats. :-) And supposedly the BLT from the Locke Street Bakery in Hamilton is a labour-inducer!

WHOOHOO! I get a lunch date with PTS!

anners
Jerome Drayton

Postby anners » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:28 am

:dance:

MINITEE
Lynn Williams

Postby MINITEE » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:42 am

Poking my head in there for those of you who may not read the NET regularly..

PTS has made the following announcement!

Let's welcome Marianne Ellen to the family, born at home at 5:02pm on April 04 (her due date) and weighing in at a chubby 8lbs, 14oz.

Congratulations to mom, dad and BIG BROTHER Gavin! :D
KEEP GOING, NEVER GIVE UP: Spencer D

Hey, be careful around me, apparently I'm a chronically offended kind of person... ;)

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:44 am

Yay pts!!! Congratulations!!!!!!
If it ain’t broke, run through it -- Strider

farmgirlinthecity
Bill Crothers

Postby farmgirlinthecity » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:54 am

Wonderful news! Congratulations!
Jenn

A Fit Mom is a Powerful Mom

“When nothing seems to help, I go look at a stonecutter hammering away at his rock perhaps a hundred times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the hundred and first blow - it will split in two, and I know it was not that blow that did it, but all that had gone before.” Jacob Riis

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:57 am

awww what a sweet name for a baby girl! congrats, pts family! :)
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

AndyM
Bill Crothers

Postby AndyM » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:41 am

Congrats pts! Yay! A girl! All the best for a speedy recovery!

2014 Races:
Around the Bay 30K - DNS :(
ORW Marathon - 3:38:11 - PB & first BQ!!!!

Personal Bests:
Marathon - May 2014 - 3:38:11-----30K - Mar 2013 - 2:37:42----1/2 Marathon - Oct 2013- 1:38:53----10K - Oct 2012 - 45:31-----5K - Feb 2009 - 22:21

geobandito
Johnny Miles

Postby geobandito » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:06 pm

toobusy wrote:
geobandito wrote: And supposedly the BLT from the Locke Street Bakery in Hamilton is a labour-inducer!

WHOOHOO! I get a lunch date with PTS!

I guess the BLT wasn't necessary. Congratulations, Erin! Looking forward to meeting the whole pts family soon.
2014 Running Plans
remembering how to run!

Lightning
Bill Crothers

Postby Lightning » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:28 am

Congrats pts and family! So exciting!

We're going to try this new thing called jogging. Or maybe it's yogging-with a silent "j". Apparently you just run for an extended period of time. It's supposed to be wild.

-Ron Burgandy

SteveF
Bill Crothers

Postby SteveF » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:23 am

Never thought I'd be posting here :lol: but you new mommas might like this...Kara's cover shoot

Marg
Site Admin

Postby Marg » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:29 am

Lightning wrote:Congrats pts and family! So exciting!

This, yay!! Huge congrats pts!
Chilly 1/2 - March 4
Montreal 1/2 - April 29
NCM 1/2 - May 27
Manitoba 1/2 - June 17
Army 1/2 - Sept

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:15 am

Thanks ladies. Marianne is great and we are all doing really well. :) Gavin is great, although the issue is keeping him away from the baby, he cried for half an hour last night before bed because he wanted to sleep with her :roll: .

I would say I can't wait to get back running, but right now I would be happy just feeling 'normal' :lol:
Lady of the Order of the Velour Track Suit

anners
Jerome Drayton

Postby anners » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:13 am

Thanks for checking in, pts! :) Hope that you are recovering well. And we will forgive you for not wanting to run right now. You're excused for a few days :lol:

rockstar79
Bill Crothers

Postby rockstar79 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:40 am

Congrats Pts and family!!!
Next?
:)

Andes
Johnny Miles

Postby Andes » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:06 am

Congrats Pts and family!! :D

My news - I have mastered putting on the Ergo without help - freedom! Also, I started the little guy on BioGaia drops this week, and he has had major spit up issues since so I think I am going to have to stop. I'm not sure if they were just a shock to his sytem (and maybe we should work our way up to the 5 drops daily) or whether there is something in them that causes problems for him. I'm going to go dairy-free for a while and see if that helps him. It's so hard to see the little one having a tough time :( .

Lightning
Bill Crothers

Postby Lightning » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:03 pm

Andes wrote:Congrats Pts and family!! :D

My news - I have mastered putting on the Ergo without help - freedom! Also, I started the little guy on BioGaia drops this week, and he has had major spit up issues since so I think I am going to have to stop. I'm not sure if they were just a shock to his sytem (and maybe we should work our way up to the 5 drops daily) or whether there is something in them that causes problems for him. I'm going to go dairy-free for a while and see if that helps him. It's so hard to see the little one having a tough time :( .

Awww, for sure. Poor little guy...

-Ron Burgandy

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:34 pm

poor little guy. :(

I found that Dexter did start spitting up more after starting the BioGaia as well....but, he definitely had less gas pains.

I looked into cutting out dairy as well......but then found out that it takes almost a month for it to really get out of your system, and, I just wasn't willing to attempt that without some clue that that might have been it.

In other news - I just texted IB and told him that I was ducking out for a 25 minute run when he got home! Guess I need to find a shortsleeved t-shirt!! :)
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

Tori
Jerome Drayton

Postby Tori » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:38 pm

Lightning wrote:
Andes wrote:Congrats Pts and family!! :D

Awww, for sure. Poor little guy...

The "I Love U" massage works great for getting baby gas out. There are lots of videos online how to do it.

AndyM
Bill Crothers

Postby AndyM » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:23 pm

SteveF wrote:Never thought I'd be posting here :lol: but you new mommas might like this...Kara's cover shoot

Wow, cool. I'll use this as a bit of inspiration to push myself just a little more this week!

2014 Races:
Around the Bay 30K - DNS :(
ORW Marathon - 3:38:11 - PB & first BQ!!!!

Personal Bests:
Marathon - May 2014 - 3:38:11-----30K - Mar 2013 - 2:37:42----1/2 Marathon - Oct 2013- 1:38:53----10K - Oct 2012 - 45:31-----5K - Feb 2009 - 22:21

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:45 pm

holy camoly!

Either the "Sheamus effect" is huge, or, the "Sheamus effect" is huge! :)

I just got in from 4km at a 6:35/km pace! I felt great right away, and I kept seeing 6:xx on the watch....so, even though I was doing 5/1's, I decided to make it my first tempo run!

Sheamus definitely does pull, but, there were plenty of times that I was running beside him (he wasn't pulling) and the watch said 5:xx!!

:)
i run for me.

Lightning
Bill Crothers

Postby Lightning » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:56 pm

AndyM wrote:
SteveF wrote:Never thought I'd be posting here :lol: but you new mommas might like this...Kara's cover shoot

Wow, cool. I'll use this as a bit of inspiration to push myself just a little more this week!

Thanks for posting, SteveF! Wow, she is so cute! And her baby....adorable. What an inspiration. I like how she mentioned how much her training has changed since her little guy came along...no waiting for a better time now. When we get to go, we go!

Nice run, IG! Is Dexter three months or not yet?

IronColl, are you fitting your runs and workouts in ok with THREE little ones?

-Ron Burgandy

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:58 pm

Lightning wrote:
AndyM wrote:

Thanks for posting, SteveF! Wow, she is so cute! And her baby....adorable. What an inspiration. I like how she mentioned how much her training has changed since her little guy came along...no waiting for a better time now. When we get to go, we go!

Nice run, IG! Is Dexter three months or not yet?

IronColl, are you fitting your runs and workouts in ok with THREE little ones?

Three months on Saturday! :) (getting the camera ready!) ;)
i run for me.

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:55 pm

Lightning wrote:IronColl, are you fitting your runs and workouts in ok with THREE little ones?

Trying to stay active 4-5 times a week with at least 2 runs, and now that I am teaching this session I can either count a class as a workout or get to the gym a half hour before and do one then. I'm happy that we have a treadmill but I am itching to get outside!

Thanks for asking. 8)
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

Nothing will change if you never choose.

2018 goals: May half marathon, September half marathon

Return to “The Scenic Route”