Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

For beginners, penguins, re-beginners, social types and the more low key runners for whom Boston is a tea party, not a race in the near future
Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Re: Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

Postby Irongirl » Fri May 27, 2011 12:35 pm

yippeee!!! way to go scrummy!!

so - who's running this weekend?

scrummy (via Charlotte): 2k
jes - 10k
Irongirl - 10k
JLA - 1/2
AndyM - marathon
Marg - 1/2

any other HRM's running?

HRA cheering: deerdree

In exciting baby news - Dex rolled from back to front today - and i missed it because the annoying chatty ECE was talking so much. :( I'd like to start sleep training on June 9th (5 months - although, I'm starting to think about waiting till 5.5. months - even after a horrible night last night), and, I wanted him to be able to roll before we started the training....
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

Hammie
Jerome Drayton

Postby Hammie » Fri May 27, 2011 12:40 pm

jes - 10k
Irongirl - 10k
JLA - 1/2
AndyM - marathon
Marg - 1/2
Hammie - marathon (but in calgary!)

any other HRM's running?

2014: the year of new awesomeness!
Rogers Insurance Run for L'Arche Half March 22 - done
Calgary Marathon Wild Rose 50k June 1 - done
Stampede Road Race 5k July 6 - done
Magrath sprint tri July 12 - done!!
Jog for the Bog 10k July 27 - done
Seawheeze Half Marathon August 23 - done
Subaru Banff Sprint Triathlon September 6 - done
Blitz Duathlon September 21 - registered
Portland Marathon October 5 - registered

Lightning
Bill Crothers

Postby Lightning » Fri May 27, 2011 12:47 pm

Really excited for everyone! Go, go, go!
Lightning :)

We're going to try this new thing called jogging. Or maybe it's yogging-with a silent "j". Apparently you just run for an extended period of time. It's supposed to be wild.

-Ron Burgandy

toobusy
Jerome Drayton

Postby toobusy » Fri May 27, 2011 1:12 pm

pts wrote: A friend told me (on a particularly bad day for me) "You spend your pregnancy worrying that you will never love another person as much as you love your first child, and then spend the first few months of your new baby's life trying to remind yourself that you love your first child" :lol:

:lol: :lol:

Tori
Jerome Drayton

Postby Tori » Fri May 27, 2011 1:29 pm

jes - 10k
Irongirl - 10k
JLA - 1/2
AndyM - marathon
Marg - 1/2
Tori - 5k

any other HRM's running?

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Fri May 27, 2011 1:38 pm

jes - 10k
Irongirl - 10k
JLA - 1/2
AndyM - marathon
Marg - 1/2
Tori - 5k
IronColl - 10k Calgary

any other HRM's running?

If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

Nothing will change if you never choose.

2018 goals: May half marathon, September half marathon

Breeze
Percy Williams

Postby Breeze » Fri May 27, 2011 2:17 pm

I just came back from picking up my race kit for NCM - 10k for me, and no shopping either as I was wearing my little guy in the ergo and he was sound asleep the entire time. Coincidentially I was hoping to get a new sports bra, I guess it wasn't meant to be.

My biggest worry about the race is how he will be while I am running. We usually start his bedtime routine right about the time that the race starts and this involves a feeding but not from a bottle.

Irongirl - what is this sleep training you speak of? I am thinking that it is time to move my baby from my bedroom into his own. He currently sleeps in a playyard but is starting to get to big for it (length wise). I'm open to ideas and suggestions on how to transistion both him and me ;). He has been napping in his crib for a few months now but never at night.

Good luck to those running this weekend.

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Fri May 27, 2011 5:31 pm

IronColl wrote:Yay scrummy!!

Do you have a ta-ta tamer? I found mine worked even when I was at my fullest, and I only needed the one bra.

That's what I was wearing! And I had just fed/pumped, so who knows. I did pick up a Moving Comfort "Juno" at the expo today that feels like it will be really good!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

Kristi
Jerome Drayton

Postby Kristi » Fri May 27, 2011 5:41 pm

toobusy wrote:
pts wrote: A friend told me (on a particularly bad day for me) "You spend your pregnancy worrying that you will never love another person as much as you love your first child, and then spend the first few months of your new baby's life trying to remind yourself that you love your first child" :lol:

:lol: :lol:

That is fantastic! And so true.

Great job on running everyone. I've been testing the waters a bit with a few short runs and I've had limited pain. I just miss running so much!

Speedy vibes to everyone racing this weekend.

anners
Jerome Drayton

Postby anners » Fri May 27, 2011 8:04 pm

Good luck everyone! :D

(sorry for being lame. Sick again and haven't run in a week. Feeling sorry for myself :roll: )

Andes
Johnny Miles

Postby Andes » Fri May 27, 2011 8:10 pm

scrumhalfgirl wrote:
IronColl wrote:Yay scrummy!!

Do you have a ta-ta tamer? I found mine worked even when I was at my fullest, and I only needed the one bra.

That's what I was wearing! And I had just fed/pumped, so who knows. I did pick up a Moving Comfort "Juno" at the expo today that feels like it will be really good!

I have started wearing the Juno (they sell it at the RR) and am a big fan! I did not need much support from my sports bra pre-baby and with this bra, support hasn't been too much of an issue.

Andes
Johnny Miles

Postby Andes » Fri May 27, 2011 8:13 pm

Good luck weekend racers!

I reached 5K in my run today - it felt good! I think I will try to stretch my regular run to 40 minutes and then work on building a weekly 'long run' up to 10K. Then, I will start to work on getting the speed back.

Has anyone run any of the Toronto Womens races, and if so, any feedback? I am thinking of targeting the August 10K as my first comeback race.

anners
Jerome Drayton

Postby anners » Fri May 27, 2011 8:24 pm

The Toronto Women's 10k was my comeback race last year :D It was good! I don't remember anything that stood out in particular. Oh, I guess there were the firemen at the water stations :lol: Organization was good, the course was not super easy, but not difficult either. They didn't give out medals last year, if that matters to you :)

Andes
Johnny Miles

Postby Andes » Fri May 27, 2011 9:04 pm

anners wrote:The Toronto Women's 10k was my comeback race last year :D It was good! I don't remember anything that stood out in particular. Oh, I guess there were the firemen at the water stations :lol: Organization was good, the course was not super easy, but not difficult either. They didn't give out medals last year, if that matters to you :)

Awesome, thanks! I am good without a medal for a 10K; just looking for a good overall experience I guess.

deerdree
Kevin Sullivan

Postby deerdree » Sun May 29, 2011 6:46 am

AndyM just passed us looking awesome in the marathon! Go HRM!!

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Sun May 29, 2011 6:57 am

deerdree wrote:AndyM just passed us looking awesome in the marathon! Go HRM!!

Yay! Go Andrea!!!
If it ain’t broke, run through it -- Strider

deerdree
Kevin Sullivan

Postby deerdree » Sun May 29, 2011 7:44 am

And one came to cheer. So little!!

anners
Jerome Drayton

Postby anners » Sun May 29, 2011 9:21 am

jes wrote:
deerdree wrote:AndyM just passed us looking awesome in the marathon! Go HRM!!

Yay! Go Andrea!!!

woohoo!

deerdree
Kevin Sullivan

Postby deerdree » Sun May 29, 2011 9:26 am

And got a high-5 from JLA during the half! :-)

Great weekend of running all around - congrats HRMs!

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Sun May 29, 2011 12:09 pm

That tomato hat is fantastic!

AndyM
Bill Crothers

Postby AndyM » Sun May 29, 2011 2:28 pm

THanks for the props guys! It was such a nice boost to see you, deerdree, and the other maniacs! I could see Marg's happy smiley face from a mile away! NOt my fastest out there today but a good effort and I'm ok with the result. My mind and body just didn't seem willing to let me go any faster but I'm happy to have done another marathon. Thanks to all the HRM's for all the support over the past few months of training. I couuldn't have done it without you...wait, i probably wouldn't have had to do it without you :twisted: . Congrats to all other HRM's racing this weekend...Jes, Irongirl, scrummy, Hammie, JLA, Tori, Ironcoll, Marg..... I've seen some results via FB and they are spectacular! Can't wait to cheer on all the HRM's in the upcoming race goals.

2014 Races:
Around the Bay 30K - DNS :(
ORW Marathon - 3:38:11 - PB & first BQ!!!!

Personal Bests:
Marathon - May 2014 - 3:38:11-----30K - Mar 2013 - 2:37:42----1/2 Marathon - Oct 2013- 1:38:53----10K - Oct 2012 - 45:31-----5K - Feb 2009 - 22:21

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Sun May 29, 2011 3:40 pm

WOOOHOOO HRMs! You all rock, I have been trying to follow via FB and you ladies are all so inspiring! :)
Lady of the Order of the Velour Track Suit

JLA
Bruce Kidd

Postby JLA » Sun May 29, 2011 6:12 pm

deerdree wrote:And got a high-5 from JLA during the half! :-)

Great weekend of running all around - congrats HRMs!

Thanks, HR Auntie extraordinaire!! It was a huge boost seeing you guys...yes, even creepy creepy Orangeman. But how in the world did I miss Jesse and delicious lil Charlotte?? I loved, loved, loved that the route went through our 'hood and past my house. Alex now has a new phrase: Mommy run fast. She kills me.

I'm happy with my race, even if I slowed somewhat in the second half. Chip time was 1:47:54, a PPPB by just over 2 minutes. I thought I might be able to chase down the 1:45 bunny, but it wasn't meant to be today. I should count myself lucky that I had such an uneventful run, though...a friend who came to stay with us this weekend (she and her husband were both doing the half) had the following things happen during her race: She got thrown up on, she herself threw up, she stepped on a squirrel, AND she needed medical attention. Yoy!

Big ups to all the other HRMs who raced today...especially marathon mamas Andy M and Hammie. I've said it once and I'll say it again: You gals are amazing.

Tori
Jerome Drayton

Postby Tori » Sun May 29, 2011 6:17 pm

JLA wrote:
I'm happy with my race, even if I slowed somewhat in the second half. Chip time was 1:47:54, a PPPB by just over 2 minutes. I thought I might be able to chase down the 1:45 bunny, but it wasn't meant to be today. I should count myself lucky that I had such an uneventful run, though...a friend who came to stay with us this weekend (she and her husband were both doing the half) had the following things happen during her race: She got thrown up on, she herself threw up, she stepped on a squirrel, AND she needed medical attention. Yoy!

Your friend takes the cake on bad race experiences. Was it a live squirrel? The only thing she was missing was stepping in diarrhea from the guy running with the runs in front of her! :sick:

JLA
Bruce Kidd

Postby JLA » Sun May 29, 2011 6:28 pm

Tori wrote:
JLA wrote:

Your friend takes the cake on bad race experiences. Was it a live squirrel? The only thing she was missing was stepping in diarrhea from the guy running with the runs in front of her! :sick:

Yep. Live squirrel. Bolted in front of her and she stepped on its tail.

I should also add that she had to discard her red-Gatorade-puke stained white running skirt mid-race - thankfully she wore shorts underneath - and then had to turn around and run back to her puke-skirt when she realized she'd left her car key in the pocket.

She was ordering double Caesars at lunch afterwards, and I don't blame her.

Return to “The Scenic Route”