Weird Ankle Pain

The grisly details and tales of the road back

Lazagna
Bill Crothers

Weird Ankle Pain

Postby Lazagna » Tue May 31, 2011 3:55 pm

I ran the Calgary Half this weekend, and other than some knee pain in my right leg, everything was great. Spent the rest of the day walking downtown at the Lialic Festival, again other than the knee, everything was great.

Monday evening, after work I had driven home, had supper and then driven to a meeting. As I am walking from my car to the meeting, I get a sudden shooting pain from my left ankle. Weird place too, it was from the inside ankle bone down and forward reaching the arch of my foot. It was sudden and sharp, but not excruiating, just sharp. It has persisted all day long today, but has been diminishing in sharpness.

Anyone know what it might be?
Mike . . . Do what you need to do NOW, so you don't deny yourself a future opportunity.
Upcoming Races:

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Re: Weird Ankle Pain

Postby Jwolf » Tue May 31, 2011 10:51 pm

Sounds like it could be posterior tibial tendonitis?

Rest, ice...
Worth getting checked out of it persists.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Lazagna
Bill Crothers

Postby Lazagna » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:22 am

Jwolf wrote:Sounds like it could be posterior tibial tendonitis?

Rest, ice...

Does sound interesting... I'll look it up, thanks.
Mike . . . Do what you need to do NOW, so you don't deny yourself a future opportunity.
Upcoming Races:

fe.RMT
Jerome Drayton

Postby fe.RMT » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:10 pm

Rest, ice...

tibialis posterior travels behind the medial maleolus (the bump at the inside of the ankle) and then into the plantar aspect of the foot. Tibialis anterior travels more in the direction you are describing (in front of the maleolus, then slightly along the inside top of the foot and then along the arch of the foot).

With that said, tendinitis is not usually a 'sudden' injury. Post race we are often full of all kinds of strange aches and pains. Take the required rest and reassess.
The rumours are true......

2013:
Thanksgiving Day 5k: 27:26

Coming up:
ORW Half Marathon
NYC Marathon 2014

Lazagna
Bill Crothers

Postby Lazagna » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:49 pm

fe.sweetpea wrote:

Rest, ice...

tibialis posterior travels behind the medial maleolus (the bump at the inside of the ankle) and then into the plantar aspect of the foot. Tibialis anterior travels more in the direction you are describing (in front of the maleolus, then slightly along the inside top of the foot and then along the arch of the foot).

With that said, tendinitis is not usually a 'sudden' injury. Post race we are often full of all kinds of strange aches and pains. Take the required rest and reassess.

That's kind of where I am headed at this piont, and it seems to be going away, or at least I don't notice it.

Although I have a ball game tonight, so we'll see how that does..
Upcoming Races:

Lazagna
Bill Crothers

Postby Lazagna » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:53 am

Went to softball last night, played a game and a half.. most of it in the outfield where we were peppered with tons and tons of grounders, flyballs, and any imaginable way a ball could get out there (yes, it was a sad set of games)... anyway, to the point.. foot feels fine.. no pain or weirdness at all right now.
Upcoming Races:

Double Bellybuster
Bill Crothers

Postby Double Bellybuster » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:31 am

Lazagna wrote:Went to softball last night, played a game and a half.. most of it in the outfield where we were peppered with tons and tons of grounders, flyballs, and any imaginable way a ball could get out there (yes, it was a sad set of games)... anyway, to the point.. foot feels fine.. no pain or weirdness at all right now.

Perhaps the shoes? If your runners have pronation control and your baseball spikes are neutral, too much pronation control could be the issue.
I am fortunate to have Running Free as a sponsor. I like to keep silly stats and maps of my Daily Neighbourhood Tours, Races and Marathons run in a Silly Yellow Shirt.

Lazagna
Bill Crothers

Postby Lazagna » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:02 am

Double Bellybuster wrote:
Lazagna wrote:Went to softball last night, played a game and a half.. most of it in the outfield where we were peppered with tons and tons of grounders, flyballs, and any imaginable way a ball could get out there (yes, it was a sad set of games)... anyway, to the point.. foot feels fine.. no pain or weirdness at all right now.

Perhaps the shoes? If your runners have pronation control and your baseball spikes are neutral, too much pronation control could be the issue.

That could be the case, I am currently finding that I really don't like my shoes all that much. They are ok most of the time, but I just don't feel comfortable like I did in all my others. As my training is ramping up, I think I might get another pair of something closer to what I like.
Upcoming Races:

Return to “Injuries and Recovery”