Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

For beginners, penguins, re-beginners, social types and the more low key runners for whom Boston is a tea party, not a race in the near future
FishPants
Lynn Williams

Re: Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

Postby FishPants » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:43 am

toobusy wrote:
Andes wrote:I have a question for those of you who take your babies for walks in wraps or front carriers. Do you do anything special to protect them from the sun? When J is in the stroller I am pretty careful about using the shade to keep direct sunlight off of him. When I am wearing him I make sure he is wearing a sun hat, but that still leaves his arms and legs exposed - I try to walk in shady areas, but am not sure what to do on nice sunny days when it is too warm for long sleeves. :?

umbrella?

I wore my stylish maternity poncho over Damon one day when I forgot his little hat.

Stylish is facetious: http://www.jollyjumper.com/show/91 It actually says "stylish maternity fashion" on the package, but I am not sure what is stylish about a hospital green poncho.

geobandito
Johnny Miles

Postby geobandito » Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:33 pm

Andes wrote:I have a question for those of you who take your babies for walks in wraps or front carriers. Do you do anything special to protect them from the sun?

Having the same issue here. Zain is old enough, technically, for sunscreen but I hate using it on him. He also loves his sun hat, as a toy. As soon as we put it on, he pulls it off and starts chewing on it. I've found that sometimes if I distract him while I'm putting it on him, say with a Cheerio, he'll leave it on for awhile.

Belated congrats to all those who have raced and have had other successes recently! We're just back from a two-week trip to visit my family. Nice visit, but a sleep training disaster. So we've been retraining and re-night weaning since we got back. He also become a crawling machine during the vacation, so life has been a lot busier since we returned!
2014 Running Plans
remembering how to run!

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:12 pm

We use long pants and a hoodie for Justin, and not worry if he gets a bit of direct sun.
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

Nothing will change if you never choose.

2018 goals: May half marathon, September half marathon

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:38 pm

I use a hat/long pants and long shirt, so only hands can be exposed. Or, a receiving blanket works in a pinch (if you are a bad mommy like me and forget the hat). I know that some kids don't like hats, but G is not allowed outside without one on, so I figure get them used to it early, even if they hate it. With my ergo I just use the nap hood.

Oh, and I love Badger balm sunscreen (for older kids like G) since it got top rating from the Environmental Working group as low in yucky stuff. Just keep your dogs away, since if they eat a whole tube they may get Zinc poisoning (oops! :roll: ). :lol:
Lady of the Order of the Velour Track Suit

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:31 pm

At this point, C usually falls asleep in the carrier during a walk, so I often drape a light receiving blanket over the carrier. I also have a giant hat which provides a lot of shade.
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

Andes
Johnny Miles

Postby Andes » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:38 pm

Thanks for the tips everyone - it looks like long sleeves and/or blanket are the way to go (no poncho for me ! :lol: )
My guy seems to hate his hat as well but hopefully he will get used to it!

Running update - I am up to 5.5K now, although today I had to take an extended walk break at 4K due to stomach cramps. I still have a fair bit of work to do on endurance/cardio before I am ready to start a full training plan, but I am happy to be out there and feeling like a runner again! We have had a lot of family in town lately which has been great for getting time to run while they visit with the baby :) .

Next question - for those who run with strollers, at what age did you find that your baby was ready? Thanks! :)

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:53 pm

Great work for the 5.5k! :)

For me, I don't put my kids in the running stroller until 6 mos. G definately needed that (with head surgery at 5 mos I was very cautious). M may not need it since she is so BIG and has a really strong head, but I am going to wait anyway I think.

two updates from me:
1. M had her 2 month visit yesterday and is 13lbs, 15oz and very long (forget the length). 95th percentile for both weight and height :lol:
2. I am going to try to run 2x a week right now, no pressure on time or distance but just getting out there. I ran last night at 9pm (after a hectic and very stressful day) and was proud of myself for going out that late. HRMs feel free to bug me about getting out, I need it!

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:09 pm

I ran with John in the bucket, I think. Hard to remember.

I am not running until after 12 weeks. Going to try to get out and do some other exercising in the meantime, though.

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:35 pm

I did my first run at about 6 weeks, but I had terrible knee pain so I backed off until about 12 months, but I didn't start serious training again until about 6 mths.

Pts, good for you for getting out. If I don't get it done before dinner, it's just not happening. I hate running in the evening. Something tells me I'll have to learn to like it after I go back to work though!
If it ain’t broke, run through it -- Strider

anners
Jerome Drayton

Postby anners » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:22 pm

I waited until V was 6 months, and asked her pediatrician before running with her in the stroller. However, I've only done a handful of runs with the stroller :shifty:

rockstar79
Bill Crothers

Postby rockstar79 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:26 pm

So, this is a good crowd to ask this question! We bought a bob revolution and have the car seat adaptor - the plan is for this to be the primary stroller, because hubs is in love with it. Who knows if I will actually run with it! Does anyone just use their bob? Comments, suggestions, etc?

Signed,

V clueless mom to be
Next?
:)

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:37 am

rockstar79 wrote:So, this is a good crowd to ask this question! We bought a bob revolution and have the car seat adaptor - the plan is for this to be the primary stroller, because hubs is in love with it. Who knows if I will actually run with it! Does anyone just use their bob? Comments, suggestions, etc?

Signed,

V clueless mom to be

Me! I use it for everything!

Once Z was about 5 mths I picked up a cheap ($20) umbrella stroller at Zellers to use on vacation; I also use that one when we go to the pool and keep it in the car for short outings (mall), but other than that, we only use the BOB. No complaints!
If it ain’t broke, run through it -- Strider

Tori
Jerome Drayton

Postby Tori » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:45 am

jes wrote:
rockstar79 wrote:So, this is a good crowd to ask this question! We bought a bob revolution and have the car seat adaptor - the plan is for this to be the primary stroller, because hubs is in love with it. Who knows if I will actually run with it! Does anyone just use their bob? Comments, suggestions, etc?

Signed,

V clueless mom to be

Once Z was about 5 mths I picked up a cheap ($20) umbrella stroller at Zellers to use on vacation; I also use that one when we go to the pool and keep it in the car for short outings (mall), but other than that, we only use the BOB. No complaints!

We used it all the time in the beginning and then got an umbrella stroller for travel and going out since it takes up less room. The BOB lives in the garage and does all our close to home outdoor stuff, walking with the dog, walks, runs, etc.

AndyM
Bill Crothers

Postby AndyM » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:02 am

I'm one of the ones who has not used the BOB for everything. We had a Graco carseat frame stroller that I used WAY more when A was in the bucket stage (the mall, the pool, groceries etc.) It folds up much smaller and lighter for transportation in the car. It is handy if you are driving and in and out of the car a lot. Not saying you "need" one of these, I just had one, and by far, it was my stroller that got the most use. Kind of sad given the $ that was spent on the BOB. I'm hoping to use it more for running now.

Did my first run back since the marathon last night. 6km on the TM. Body felt good but it was pretty hot and humid and I was pretty bored. Are there no new shows on TV this time of year?!

2014 Races:
Around the Bay 30K - DNS :(
ORW Marathon - 3:38:11 - PB & first BQ!!!!

Personal Bests:
Marathon - May 2014 - 3:38:11-----30K - Mar 2013 - 2:37:42----1/2 Marathon - Oct 2013- 1:38:53----10K - Oct 2012 - 45:31-----5K - Feb 2009 - 22:21

anners
Jerome Drayton

Postby anners » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:15 am

Tori wrote:
jes wrote:

Signed,

V clueless mom to be

We used it all the time in the beginning and then got an umbrella stroller for travel and going out since it takes up less room. The BOB lives in the garage and does all our close to home outdoor stuff, walking with the dog, walks, runs, etc.

Same here. The BOB was awesome for dog walks in the snow last winter :)

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:42 am

The bob is our only stroller at this point, but to be honest, so far I mostly use a carrier for errands, walks up to an hour etc. But this will change as she gets bigger!!!

My dr said at least four months for running with them but it depends on their head control, as well as the running surface (eg smooth bike path vs rough trail or lots of curbs). At this point, I am slow enough without the stroller! But hoping to start using it in the fall once dh is coaching in the mornings and can`t watch c.

In running news...I crossed the 5K mark today for the first time!!!!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:10 am

Not a BOB, but I used (and am still using) my running stroller as my primary stroller. I bought an umbrella stroller when John was 10 months, to take to England. John is a fall baby, and the Bumbleride was fantastic at tackling Edmonton winter conditions.

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:52 am

When you are talking about running with the baby, are you thinking without the bucket seat? I have been running with Justin in the bucket since he was 3 months old, but haven't put him forward facing in the stroller on his own yet.

Great job running scrummy!
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

Nothing will change if you never choose.

2018 goals: May half marathon, September half marathon

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:40 am

I did my first post-partum workout yesterday. I went to Babyworx with both boys. Damon was a superstar (slept the whole time), but John was crabby, whiny and clingy. Turns out he was a little under the weather (he had a fever last night and a horrible sleep). I ended up doing part of the class with 29 lb of extra resistance (squats while holding John were especially rough, same with the step-ups), and I eventually put Damon in his bucket on the side of the field and put John in the stroller, where he was much happier. And I was happier only having to haul myself through the exercises!

We did a bunch of ab work at the end, and I have no abs. Plank was difficult, and leg drops really hurt my pelvis (especially my SI joints). I felt really good after the class, though, it was the first day where my head felt normal almost all day (I have been having many days where I feel like my head is wrapped in cotton, and I am dizzy and feel like I can't work my brain properly). I am going to try to go every Weds! It helps that the awesome instructor checks in with me to make sure she will see me there :)

I would like to find the energy/motivation to do some yoga every day. I was doing sun salutations every day after John was born, and I always felt refreshed afterwards. I also need to work on better nutrition. Baby steps :)

AndyM
Bill Crothers

Postby AndyM » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:34 pm

Nice work! THat sounds really hard. I did a few mom and baby classes but I wished a had started earlier as A was on the move in no time. It will come together for you...like you said..baby steps.

Just ran 8K tempo-ish outside! Working from home today so made this my lunch time. Also had an impromptu Jes and Zach sighting in the middle!

2014 Races:
Around the Bay 30K - DNS :(
ORW Marathon - 3:38:11 - PB & first BQ!!!!

Personal Bests:
Marathon - May 2014 - 3:38:11-----30K - Mar 2013 - 2:37:42----1/2 Marathon - Oct 2013- 1:38:53----10K - Oct 2012 - 45:31-----5K - Feb 2009 - 22:21

Andes
Johnny Miles

Postby Andes » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:03 pm

OK, next time I am tempted to skip a run, I will channel Pts running at 9pm after putting an infant and toddler to bed, and FishPants doing squats while carrying a toddler! Now that's dedication :D

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:05 am

Scrummy and FP- good work!

I had a running fail this morning :( I took the dog for a run and about 300m in he saw something and pulled me off my feet. I was so grumpy and the run was sucking so much up to that point (a whole 300m in!) that I turned around and we went home.

Now I have to go tonight or tommorow instead. :roll:

anners
Jerome Drayton

Postby anners » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:57 am

scrummy - great job on the 5k! I remember meeting that pp milestone very well :) It's a big deal!

FP - nice workout!

pts - we've all been there! Hope that you are able to get a do-over.

Not much to report on running here. I started up slowly after my most recent illness with 2-4k runs, but I did manage 5k yesterday. I'm not feeling super motivated to run longer distances :roll: In baby news, V won't sleep in her crib anymore. We converted it to a toddler bed, but she still does not want to sleep on it. We put a low twin mattress on the floor and she sleeps there. Or somewhere else on the floor...she moves around quite a bit. Anyway, it's been a bit of a disaster, but last night was slightly better...only 1 wake-up, and neither of us ended up sleeping on the floor with her. lol :)

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:00 am

anners wrote:scrummy - great job on the 5k! I remember meeting that pp milestone very well :) It's a big deal!

FP - nice workout!

pts - we've all been there! Hope that you are able to get a do-over.

Not much to report on running here. I started up slowly after my most recent illness with 2-4k runs, but I did manage 5k yesterday. I'm not feeling super motivated to run longer distances :roll: In baby news, V won't sleep in her crib anymore. We converted it to a toddler bed, but she still does not want to sleep on it. We put a low twin mattress on the floor and she sleeps there. Or somewhere else on the floor...she moves around quite a bit. Anyway, it's been a bit of a disaster, but last night was slightly better...only 1 wake-up, and neither of us ended up sleeping on the floor with her. lol :)

Oh, poor you on the sleep, I hope you find a solution that works for you!

So, dog walk attempt #2 also a fail. I had M in the mei tai, and Huds saw another dog and started to pull like mad. So, he has gotten 2 little bitty walks, that better suffice. Needless to say, I am not impressed. :evil: I WILL run tonight (assuming DH is actually home before 9 or 10pm, which is a 50/50 chance tonight).

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:37 am

My abs are sore! :shock:

It seems every time Damon has a good night, John does not and vice versa. John has slept the last 2 nights in our bed (after about 3 or 4 am), which may be setting a bad precedent. Whoops.

Return to “The Scenic Route”