brown rice

Because you can't outrun a bad diet!
hezzy
Tom Longboat

brown rice

Postby hezzy » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:55 pm

I currently use the Uncle Bens Perfection brown rice that cooks in 10 minutes (5 minutes on the heat, 5 off). I switched from white to brown thinking it is healthier. However I was looking more closely at the nutritional information the other day and noticed there is no fibre in it. I am wondering if this is because it's a quick cooking rice. I went on the Uncle Ben's website and checked their regular brown rice (25 min. cooking time) and it shows 1 gram of fibre per serving. Is this an average amount for brown rice? Or is that still low? Are there other benefits to brown rice than just fibre (compared to eating white rice)?
2015 - the year of the 100 miler

Avis
Jerome Drayton

Re: brown rice

Postby Avis » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:17 pm

I just checked the bag I have in cupboard, which is an organic brown rice/wild rice blend. It takes about 40 minutes to cook and lists fibre at 1gram per 50 gm serving.
"We are made of dreams and bones."
--The Garden Song

"By perseverance, the snail reached the ark."
--Charles H. Spurgeon

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
--Pablo Picasso

abhainn
Abby Hoffman

Postby abhainn » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:32 pm

I don't know that brown rice is touted so much as being higher in fiber, though the fact that it still has the outer hull (?) does increase it marginally, but obviously not by much. For me brown rice is a lower glycemic index food than white. I think it takes longer to digest and therefore keeps you fuller longer?

Others will know better than me though.
Andrea Michelle

------------------------------------------------

"There are no fish in my pond"

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

brown rice

Postby Jwolf » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:54 pm

Fibre is one of the factors in glycemic index but not the only one. Protein and fat content also contribute, as well as how processed something is.

Brown rice doesn't have much fibre but white rice has none. Glycemic index of brown rice is about 50 vs. white rice's 80. But brown rice also has other micronutrients that white rice doesn't have. It's definitely healthier in general but moreso if it's not processed.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

hezzy
Tom Longboat

Postby hezzy » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:00 am

Thanks Jwolf! I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't incorrect in thinking it was healthier because of marketing or something...
2015 - the year of the 100 miler

babysteps
Jerome Drayton

Postby babysteps » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:07 am

My understanding is that the instant rices, including the brown version you're using, are pretty much empty calories. I use the regular brown rice and it takes me 30-40 minutes to make a batch. But cooking the rest of dinner takes about the same time so I just always make sure I start the rice first.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

brown rice

Postby Jwolf » Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:43 pm

babysteps wrote:My understanding is that the instant rices, including the brown version you're using, are pretty much empty calories. I use the regular brown rice and it takes me 30-40 minutes to make a batch. But cooking the rest of dinner takes about the same time so I just always make sure I start the rice first.

Rice cookers are great! Put in the rice, the water, turn it on, and rice is done in about 45 minutes. :)
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

abhainn
Abby Hoffman

Postby abhainn » Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:11 pm

Jwolf wrote:
babysteps wrote:My understanding is that the instant rices, including the brown version you're using, are pretty much empty calories. I use the regular brown rice and it takes me 30-40 minutes to make a batch. But cooking the rest of dinner takes about the same time so I just always make sure I start the rice first.

Rice cookers are great! Put in the rice, the water, turn it on, and rice is done in about 45 minutes. :)

I <3 my rice cooker. And no matter what kind of rice I make it comes out perfect each and every time.
Andrea Michelle

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:21 pm

abhainn wrote:
Jwolf wrote:

I <3 my rice cooker. And no matter what kind of rice I make it comes out perfect each and every time.

I agree with this. I always use brown rice and it's never been bad, perfect each time.
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

babysteps
Jerome Drayton

Postby babysteps » Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:37 pm

I think I'm weird. I always do better with a pot. I find my rice cooker sometimes makes the rice sticky but I usually get it right with the boil and simmer method. (Just avoid the temptation to peek!)

I love rice and make it 2-3 times a week. Tonight we had basmati with toasted coconut and cumin seed sprinkles with chicken and sweet potato curry. I'm full. :)

Strider
Jerome Drayton

Postby Strider » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:05 am

Don't dismiss Parboiled Rice
Help Fight Children's Cancer with Sears Canada and GoodGuysTri - 26 Team Mates, All Running 100km, 1 Goal.
If you have the time please read my participation page and consider a donation.

Cupcake Girl
Bruce Kidd

Postby Cupcake Girl » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:31 am

can you put quinoa in a rice cooker?

abhainn
Abby Hoffman

Postby abhainn » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:39 am

Cupcake Girl wrote:can you put quinoa in a rice cooker?

I don't see why not. Same principle. Except that it cooks so much faster and is super easy to make in just a pot why would you want to cook it in the rice cooker?
Andrea Michelle

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:54 am

Cupcake Girl wrote:can you put quinoa in a rice cooker?

Yes. The bag I have says to follow instructions for white rice for your cooker.

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

babysteps
Jerome Drayton

Postby babysteps » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:16 pm

Can you put rice in your quinoa cooker? That's the real question.

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:37 pm

babysteps wrote:Can you put rice in your quinoa cooker? That's the real question.

:lol:

Return to “Nutrition and Weight Management”